YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HI
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

judamom
Posted 2006-09-16 4:48 PM (#64567 - in reply to #64559)
Subject: RE: HI

Ystan---I have only extreme respect for everything I have heard of Reiki---I will go to the library and see if they have any books on the topic. I do Inter Library Loan where they will send you a book from any library in the world that has what you are looking for.......I am the old fashioned one that prefers to hold the book in my hands rather than bring up on a computer screen.....just a way of slowing down and enjoying more. Let me quick tell you a Reiki story.......I was traveling summer before last and I was heading home---from Colorado to Florida (2,000 miles). A friend who is very involved in Reiki walked me to the car to say good-bye and said "If you have a moment, I would like to do some Reiki around your car". It surprised me that such a thing would be considered but I felt honored just the same. It took her only minutes to walk around the car and do her "thing". I thanked her and went on my way. Fifteen minutes later, I started to change lanes on a very busy highway outside of Denver. There was a car in my blind spot that I did not see and I started to pull right into it. The person honked, I overreacted under surprise, going 70 miles per hour and almost lost control of the car. I recovered and all was well but to this day I imagined it to be the Reiki that made it all end well. I wrote the lady and thanked her after explaining what had happened and she said she had never used it on a vehicle before...never crossed her mind until I was leaving and she was compelled to use it then. I am of limited finances.....by choice....and like to do all my studies for free (just to know that it is possible, for those who do cannot afford professional training). If you can suggest a favorite book, I will attempt to locate it through the library. One more thing to give consideration to.....I have studied a philosophy in the past that said we have the ability to "sustain" certain energies. For example.....you are meditating for peace around the planet and you have had a very effective meditation....on complition request that that energy be sustained so even when you are not consciously sending it out.....it is still going on. I have done that with moods of unity, appreciation, joyfulness, etc. What could be wrong with that......if it works "Yahoo!" what a wonderful tool and if it does not, oh well, it makes me feel like I can be effective 24/7. Enough.....How was the meeting of zzzulu and Ystan? Bless you Shelly and TSunduram and others---"Tourist" and all who read this! Judamom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ystan
Posted 2006-09-17 12:38 AM (#64594 - in reply to #64567)

Judamom, you are one brave lady traveling alone for 2000 miles on the wheel! Thanks for sharing your Reiki story, let me share mine too. About 6 months back, my brother had full knee replacement on both his legs. One of his knees was of bad shape that the surgeon had to cut away part of his bone to insert the artificial knee. A week after his operation, he was still in bad shape, the blood drainage from his operated area, expected to be 150cc/day and to stop shortly, was hemorrhaging more than a litre a day. He was given more blood, but the infusion was like snail crawling; we had to manual pump just to get a few drops into his vein. We (me, my other brother & wife) were in a grim state on that late Saturday night. So I thought of Reiki, and my sister-in-law was Reiki trained, we decided to channel energy to him, for about 15–20 minutes. When we returned on Sunday morning… guess what? All the tubes were removed from his legs! His hemorrhaging had stopped, and the surgeon was happy with his improvement. He was discharged a few days later, and now walking with an aid of a walking stick when he goes outdoor.

Try “Step-by-step Reiki” by Carmen Fernandez, published by Hermes House. It is 96 pages, fully colored. It is simple, down to earth and no tall claims. I borrowed the older version from local library, loved it and bought my paperback version for U$4/=. FYI, the new version has quite a bit of additions, especially the Reiki symbols. For attunement, the website provides it FOC. http://www.reikisecrets.com/index.htm. Namaste.

Edited by ystan 2006-09-17 12:48 AM
judamom
Posted 2006-09-17 6:23 AM (#64596 - in reply to #64594)

Ystan, I was traveling home when I said 2,000 miles--I actually put 11,000 miles on my car in a 4 month stretch. I went to the woods of Northern California to paint a cabin. I traveled from the far south eastern corner of the states tp the most northern western area and many stops in between. I worked at a location where there was no T.V., very bad radio reception--I did have a phone and a computer. I had an Aunt who was at the end of her life who lived 350 miles from the cabin, so I was traveling to visit her as often as I could. It was a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience. I traveled 5,000 miles this last summer to attend a family reunion. I love to get on the road and camp in my tent across the country.......some call it brave......I call it 'loving to see this beautiful planet we live on'. From an air plane it is too fast and I miss all the beauty.......if I can work as I travel I can make it. Your story of your brother is wonderful and thanks for sharing it........it makes me think that Reiki can be used for protection and healing and assisting in keeping ones self balanced. I am excited to check out the recommended book and thank you very much! Judamom
tourist
Posted 2006-09-17 12:04 PM (#64611 - in reply to #64594)

Expert Yogi

One of the aspects of Reiki that has bothered me is the idea of needing to be "attuned" or started by someone else. Do these books explain how to start without this? I am always the first to say "get a teacher!" but I am also leery of anyone charging me money to release energy in my body that I could probably do myself.
judamom
Posted 2006-09-17 3:07 PM (#64625 - in reply to #64611)

Tourist, I always have to contemplate the issue of "charge". I think I can clearly see both sides of the issue. I only want to make sure that humans of limited funds (for whatever reasons) are not kept from Spiritual Tools. I do not take Yoga Classes because I choose to only make enough to pay for my simple living environment, and lifestyle. I can however go to the library and get books and videos and converse with others with the interest of Yoga for free. I feel it is my determination as to how far I will take it. I do not take piano lessons for the same reason, and I know I would progress much faster if I did.......I plug along teaching myself to read music...but it is for my own enjoyment so....what is the hurry? I would love to hear some others thoughts on the subject you have brought up. I am very interested in Reiki from Ystan's enthusiasm with it. I was able to get 3 books on it from the library and I am intending to learn to balance myself. It is the same with paying for a Doctor......I take full responsibility for my own health and am very healthy. The last time I went to a Doctor, because coworkers kept telling me I must....it cost me $500 for him to say I was very healthy. I won't do that again. I am sure pain would send me to the medical establishment but I have none now so.......I understand many would disagree.....we are programmed by the medical to think we MUST constantly let THEM keep us healthy. They are marketing ILLNESS to keep their bills paid. There is an opposite side of the coin.....Doctors and Nurses giving their lives to WELLNESS also. and people who would not be alive if it were not for the medical but we can make choices to fit our preferrences. Good Health to all! Judamom--an X surgical nurse. (Then tried holistic nursing for several years with much more satisfaction---learning how I live my life now. I am a "unstressed painter" now.
judamom
Posted 2006-09-17 3:19 PM (#64626 - in reply to #64596)

Ystan, I went to the library and although they did not have the book you reccommended--they did have 3 others that looked very informative so I took all three for starters. I am highly encouraged because the first book defines Reiki as "Universal Life Force Energy"--an energy of love and intelligence that always knows what to do and where to go. I have studied the "I AM" philosophy for 30 years and they talk of the same energy except in terms of "White Light". I feels like I am reading of the very same thing discovered by two different beings to be used by anyone and giving them the freedom to put whatever title they want. One might say, "I AM a student of Light" and one might say, "I AM a student of Reiki" and both are using Universal Life Force Energy only putting the proceedure in their own language. Can you give me more of your understanding about how you are interpreting it? I do not dispute anything here.....only asking if I am way off beat in my understanding-----so I can rethink it again. I just started reading the Reiki book today but it feels like 'coming home' Judamom
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-18 10:00 AM (#64673 - in reply to #55544)

Judamom, I share your view on life. I remember being out there in the work force, and being miserable and stressed. I would much rather live on less than go through that. Luckily my husband enjoys his line of work, and can recognize that although I don't bring in much income I make improvements to our home environment. I'm not much of a shopper, I make most of my own clothes, I cook from scratch, and keep up the house. A friend said your lucky your daughters didn't get fat, as so many are these days. I know it wasn't luck. They eat healthy home cooked meals, and not junk food. They see me taking care of myself physically, and while they might not be joining me, I know I'm making a lasting impression on them. Also, I love the library too. When my girls were younger I took out stacks for bedtime reading, and a big art book for me to wonder over. Thank you for putting your philosophy here, sometimes I get pressure from people who think my lack of ambition is a character flaw. Shelly

PS. Zzzulu, are you still jet lagged? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2006-09-18 10:02 AM
ystan
Posted 2006-09-18 10:46 AM (#64685 - in reply to #64611)

Tourist and Judamom, with my little knowledge in Reiki, my understanding is one cannot practice Reiki (channel Reiki energy to oneself or others) unless initiated or attuned. There are exceptions, some natural healers were born with the gift, it was stated in books that probably these people were attuned in their previous lives. Reiki attunement/symbols were a kept secret and Reiki Masters charged big buck for it, but there are others who felt Reiki should be distributed freely to anyone who seek it and to benefit the needy, and thus one can get free attunement over the Internet now. I was initiated Level 1 via a 3 days workshop, and obtained higher-level attunement FOC via the website I mentioned, and both attunements were effective for me. The workshop was good as I get to learn the Reiki hand positions and share energies with other students. In fact, if anyone is interested, s/he should go for a Reiki evaluation session, ask relevant questions, check out the credential of Reiki Master, find out if one feel good about the energy, read a couple of books, and then decide if one wished to be attuned. Namaste.
ystan
Posted 2006-09-18 10:57 AM (#64686 - in reply to #64626)

Judamom, I'm not familiar with "I AM" and I can't comment. Let me know your findings after reading the Reiki books, if they are the same systems but were called different names. Namaste 

Edited by ystan 2006-09-18 10:58 AM
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-09-18 11:58 PM (#64730 - in reply to #64686)

Hi All
how are you?
Thank you TS Sundaram for your advice on jet lag. It's very effective to clean the mind, and I find it useful even when the jet lag is over.

I will be posting from now on ZZzulu and friends. Hope to see you all there.

Namaste

zzzulu
judamom
Posted 2006-09-19 4:42 AM (#64739 - in reply to #64686)

Ystan--I am enjoying the study (with books) of Reiki. I especially appreciate the originator's quest to discover how Jesus healed because of his students questioning that he said 'greater things shall ye do than I'. Makao Usui set out on a world travel to see if he could find an understanding of healing. After years of no specific answers he did a 21 day fast and meditation and received the energy to heal. It is fun to be reading 3 different books by 3 different authors. It is easy to see the same story from different perspectives. I am often in awe by our uniqueness. I am enjoying the affirmations (5) said each morning.....a wonderful reminder of simple ethics. I do thank you for your enthusiasm that made me want to know what was exciting you so.......I am inclined to think you are of a nature to love life.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-19 11:59 AM (#64766 - in reply to #55544)

Good day everyone. Today is gray and raining where I am, which I don't mind a bit. I love rain, what gets me down is when day after day is gray, and it doesn't rain or clear up. To me it's wishy-washy, and so irritating. Make a choice an stick with it is what I want to tell the sky. Haha, as if I had any control.

Yesterday I spent a good long time in meditation. My goal was only to watch the colors change inside my eyes. I had experience this to some extent before, but not for such a long period of time. I was surprised by the intensity of some of the colors that revealed themselves to me. Also after a while I visualized with no effort white light in the palms of my hand. It was accompanied by a wonderful feeling of peace and well being.

Today I felt too much restless energy right from the start of my day, and so I went for a more physical practise. I did sun salutations until the sweat poured off my forehead, and followed with standing poses and then reclining poses. Then of course I was ready for a good long savasana. I'm proud to say my plank is getting stronger, but the past few days my balance has not been so good. In savasana when starting I'm always reminded of Eric Schiffman saying feel the energy you're made of. It's such a wonder to me to be able to feel energy flowing through my reclined completely relaxed body. My eyes used to be very hard to relax, and would often be tightly clenched. Now I'm able to relax them more deeply, but it's a constant effort.

I think I know why I awoke in an aggitated state. I've been having vivid dreams in the morning before waking. This morning's was particularly disturbing. It's disturbing to experience the dream, and then later I'm almost angry at myself that I was so upset in the dream state. The reason is frustration that obviously the situation isn't real, and so I should know while dreaming that I am dreaming. I remind myself at night to try to notice when it gets weird that it's a dream, and to not get swept up in it. So does anyone here experience lucid dreams? Or have any advise on the subject? Always appreciative, Shelly
ystan
Posted 2006-09-19 12:37 PM (#64769 - in reply to #64739)

Judamom – I try to search for “I AM” in the Internet but was unable to locate the relevant information. I am glad you find Reiki interesting, I'm amazed at what “chi” or “Prana” or “Reiki” can do, regardless of what name it comes under. Some recollections and in no particular order:

- When we are attuned, we immediately acquired the ability to channel energy from the Source to the recipient. It is a one-way traffic, thus the energy of recipient will not affect us in anyway. We are not “healers” as we basically just channel energy; it is the recipients who receives the energy, use it and heals themselves.

- When we channel energy, we get to keep 40% and the recipient gets 60%. Hence, the more we channel, the healthier (mind/body) we become, a win-win situation. However, when we are weak, we get to keep more and the recipient receives less and vice versa.

- Once we are attuned, we can channel energy for the rest of our lives. It does not matter if we practice it regularly.

- The masters and students have the same capability on channel energy. I think the Masters would want to dispute this.

- However, attunement if tempered with can cause health problem. The teacher warned us not to fall prey to self-proclaim Masters who claim they have great powers and can perform miracles. Check their linkage and get references.

Please don’t let my enthusiasm become a pressure. I’m having fun sharing and you do have fun exploring it. Namaste

tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-10-01 10:48 AM (#65886 - in reply to #55544)

judamom:-This has reference to my earlier post to you. The list of asanas which I perform daily as conveyed to zzzuluwarrior are given below:-.

zzzuluwarrior:-Thank you for your mail 56178.
The favorite asanas of mine which I practice daily are as follows:-
1) Sarvangasana ( The 'Candle' shoulder stand) Duration 5mts.
2) Halasana ( Plough pose) " 2 "
3) Matsyasana ( Fish Pose ) " 1 "
4) Paschimottanasana (Forward bend--Sitting) " 2 "
5) Bhujangasana (Cobra pose) " 1 "
6) Shalabhasana (Locust Pose) " 1 "
7) Dhanurasana (Bow pose) " 1 "
Ardha-Matsyendrasana ( Spinal Twist) " 1 "
9)Shirsasana ( head stand) ( I don't do it because of my age) 1 to 5 mts after consulting a doctor.
10)Deep Breathing " 3 "
11) Shavasana ( Relaxation--Lyinging down on floor. " 5 "
Total 30 minutes.

Any yoga book will give the details of each asana. The above asanas take for me around 45 minutes daily. I do not try other asanas shown in the books,because of my ripe age. And Shirsasan ( Head stand),I have completely stopped doing. And I find these limited numbers alright for me. After reading this small note of mine let me have your reaction. Good luck to you. From T.S.Sundaram.

Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)