YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

umm 1 question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-10 11:21 AM (#55397)
Subject: umm 1 question

is yoga considered a religion ??

cause yesterday i went to church and my grandma ask if i was still doing yoga i said that i wanted to get back into it yes and she said why are u trying to switch religions???

yoga not a religion right ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2006-06-10 11:42 AM (#55405 - in reply to #55397)
Subject: RE: umm 1 question

Extreme Veteran

No, it's not
yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-10 12:06 PM (#55408 - in reply to #55397)

thank you that's all i needed to no
LNP20
Posted 2006-06-10 9:46 PM (#55433 - in reply to #55397)

While its a big part of the hinduism, buddhism, jainism and other indian religions,its not a
religion itself, more like a collection of certain moral values that can be incorporated in your
life no matter what your religion beliefs are,and even if you dont have any of them. So tell
your granny not to worry,and that doing dog facing down or something alike wont make you
a buddhist (of course,if you dont want it to make you,lol)
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-11 11:21 AM (#55484 - in reply to #55397)

i'd say, it is more of a science
yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-11 12:57 PM (#55500 - in reply to #55397)

lol thank you
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-11 10:40 PM (#55537 - in reply to #55397)

yogagirl - 2006-06-10 11:21 AM

is yoga considered a religion ??

cause yesterday i went to church and my grandma ask if i was still doing yoga i said that i wanted to get back into it yes and she said why are u trying to switch religions???

yoga not a religion right ?

===> Dear Yogagirl: From your name, photo and using grandma's statement, I am wondering whether you are a very young person such as 10 year old or possibly a teenager. Now, in relation to your question, assuming that you are not a very small girl such as 10 year old, I am giving my input:

- you need know what relgion means in the context of your own opinion/mind and that of your grandmonther.

- then you need to know what Yoga means in your opinion and your practice and that of your grandmonther. If she does not know Yoga or does not practice it, her statement has no value. But, if she does, you need know what she does or knows or did.

- then you need to compare the above two and you can easily know a) what in Yoga you will like to do b) what in Yoga you want to exclude c) What in Yoga you do not know d) what in your religion you do not know. e) ETC.

For example: Take an example of one person (hypothetical, I am not saying all of them) who considers that he/she is a Christian. At the same time, this person owns 100 slaves and clearly makes them work 16 hours a day. He/She honestly thinks that keeping slaves is OK. But, now if this person thinks of his God, let us say Jesus or whatever that Christian God is. Do you think that this person believes that such a God would like his devotee to make his slaves work 16 hours a day. If not, this person will probably make those slaves work only 8 hours a day, eat with them and eventually become their brother. But, this person can not continue 16 hours labor for his/her slaves and at the same time call himself a very devout Chrisian. Do you agree? Do you think Jesus will like a person to do such a think? Do you think Jesus will like a person to do what they did in Catholic Church system during Galilio's time?

I only gave example of Christian, but I do mean the same thing about all others including Hindu, Buddist, Islamic, etc.

===> Lastly, let me tell you one funny thing, which you should tell your grandma as well. First step: Look at what Yoga actually you did and are doing now or thinking of doing now. Now, look at the source of this knowledge for example a book, a teacher of a class, an audio or video, etc. Now, go through this whole source and find out where it talks about Religion or word Hindu, etc. You will be amazed to find that NO such a word exists in any India text. To give an example: Bhagavadgita is considered a bible of Indians. Wrong. Bible came much later. Since bible is read by Christans, they called what Indians read as the bible of Indians. The Bhagavadgita in the entire 18 chapters has NO single word 'Hindu or Indian'. Same with Patanjali, same with all Vedas, same with all Upanishads, etc.

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-12 11:10 AM (#55581 - in reply to #55397)

oh
thankyou that's more helpful

and idon't look like i'm ten i'm 15 !!!!!!!!!
'
fine lol

thank you for your informative post it was really helpful and i don't think i spell informative right lol

~alyssa~
jpk
Posted 2006-06-12 4:32 PM (#55603 - in reply to #55581)

What does Grandma think of your other religion?
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-12 6:11 PM (#55615 - in reply to #55603)

jpk - 2006-06-12 4:32 PM

What does Grandma think of your other religion?

10 or 15 both are same for me. That is younger than all my 3 daughters! But, I am glad that you are 15 because:

a) I am amazed that you asked this question at such a young age. Great!
b) And, you can now decide what to do.

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-12 8:56 PM (#55620 - in reply to #55397)

she thinks that the yoga is okay
but she says that if you do yoga that u are buddist ?

i think it's becasue she see's things on tv or something
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-12 10:43 PM (#55627 - in reply to #55620)

yogagirl - 2006-06-12 8:56 PM

she thinks that the yoga is okay
but she says that if you do yoga that u are buddist ?

i think it's becasue she see's things on tv or something

ha ha ha. then tell to her to still continue watching the TV, but you put Yoga DVDs in the player.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-06-13 12:56 AM (#55639 - in reply to #55397)

you look 15, it's just the picture is small
jpk
Posted 2006-06-13 12:57 PM (#55699 - in reply to #55620)

No, no that religion, the *other* one Football - or soccer if you prefer.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

(quoting Bill Shankly)
yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-13 6:10 PM (#55724 - in reply to #55699)

lol

usa lost in the fifa world cup thingy lol
ofcourse they did
brazil allthe way lol

jpk

what do u mean ?
jpk
Posted 2006-06-13 6:20 PM (#55725 - in reply to #55724)

Oh don't worry, I was just being frivolous - since all your messages said "soccer soccer soccer" it reminded me that football is almost a religion for some folks.

All the best, and enjoy your exploration of yoga

John

Posted 2006-08-06 10:02 PM (#61163 - in reply to #55581)

Yoga is not religion though some would have you believe it's Hindi Religion.

More importantly though I'm curious why you say you are 15 on this board but 17 on myspace and why do you think the "world is worthless"?

yogagirl - 2006-06-12 8:10 AM

oh
thankyou that's more helpful

and idon't look like i'm ten i'm 15 !!!!!!!!!
'
fine lol

thank you for your informative post it was really helpful and i don't think i spell informative right lol

~alyssa~
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-07 11:52 PM (#61217 - in reply to #61163)

Expert Yogi

Here on yoga.com yogagirl is safe to be her 'real' age.....and most of us around here are familiar with yoga girl and we honor her for where she is,

I can truly relate to why any teenager would think the world is worthless, sometimes it seems that way to me too -although, the world is not worthless, its the people that sometimes are by the way they act - which is not very mindful these days!!! Which is why yoga is sooo valuable to teenagers. Yogagirl, just so you'll know, my daughter, age 13 attended a summer yoga workshop with me. She loved it and we can't wait till September for the next session to begin again.
yogagirl
Posted 2006-08-11 3:10 PM (#61504 - in reply to #61217)

Cyndi - 2006-08-07 10:52 PM

Here on yoga.com yogagirl is safe to be her 'real' age.....and most of us around here are familiar with yoga girl and we honor her for where she is,

I can truly relate to why any teenager would think the world is worthless, sometimes it seems that way to me too -although, the world is not worthless, its the people that sometimes are by the way they act - which is not very mindful these days!!! Which is why yoga is sooo valuable to teenagers. Yogagirl, just so you'll know, my daughter, age 13 attended a summer yoga workshop with me. She loved it and we can't wait till September for the next session to begin again.

hmmmmmmmmmmm kool
i'll have to do that next year since i went to soccer camp lol
oh and the world isn't worthless lol that's my old myspace
my new is more me and mature i was nieve then i spell wrong alwell no spell check

if ya'll would like to see it i can give it to ya'll if ya'll want

oh oh oh

DID YA'LL HERE THE NEWS READ IT SO SCARY

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060810/ap_on_re_eu/britain_terror_plot

WE ALL WOULD'VE DIED !!! WELL NOT ALL OF US JUST SOME OF THE AMERICANS ON PLANES OR WATEVER ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)