YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garlic in Bee Honey
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tourist
Posted 2006-06-07 10:40 AM (#55077 - in reply to #55052)
Subject: RE: Garlic in Bee Honey

Expert Yogi

Thushara - we get sweet syrups from other sources as well. Canada is famous for it's maple syrup. But we don't call it honey because only bees make honey. But we call our sweethearts and children "honey" all the time Language is so interesting!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-06-07 10:48 AM (#55078 - in reply to #54989)

Expert Yogi

Selena - yes, I do remember you Welcome back! Take care of that wrist and remember there are many, many yoga poses you can do that won't injure it. Even standing poses will help because holding your arms out to the sides or above your head will strengthen your arms,which will have lost strength since you have not been able to use your hands. It is so depressing not to be able to do normal things, isn't it? I had whiplash years ago and remember crying because I couldn't even write out Christmas cards for more than a few minutes at a time On the upside, that is the time when my fingernails became very strong for the first time in my life, I guess because I wasn't using my hands. I don't know what I did that year - I don't remember cooking, doing dishes or many household tasks at all and I know nobody else in the house would have done them! I'll have to ask my kids
naturally336
Posted 2006-06-07 11:42 AM (#55085 - in reply to #55078)

Yeah, it's a bit depressing, but I'm working on getting my attitude back up. I know that is so important to healing. And getting back to these boards are my baby step back to interacting in the world again. The last couple months I've basically just crawled into my den and avoided the world and everyone in it. Unfortunately that became a "habit" all to easily and I'm finding it a bit difficult to get back out again. Mostly it's embarrassment for my behavior, so figured if I started back participating here it would help encourage me to get back into yoga(which it is, yay!), and second that it would remind me that I can interact with others and it's really not the evil, scary thing I've tried to convince myself in my mind that it is. Funny the things our mind does when we get depressed, huh? Definitely over dramatized it all. I'm working on it.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome.
Be Well,
Selena
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-07 12:03 PM (#55090 - in reply to #55085)

Ref the dog breath... actually I knew the healthy diet would be minimising that

My cats get their teeth brushed daily and I know their breath smells a lot better than those who don't get that done to them.

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-07 3:03 PM (#55116 - in reply to #54851)

Well, Garlick may do all of the above whether it sounds great or it sound bad. Basically, it has a poisonous substance called allicin. This also means it is antibiotic. All antibiotics are poisonous. And, if you take them regularly, you will develop immunity to them, that means your body shall adjust to a certain amount of it without reacting to it. Also, your body shall get addicted to it. You can verify this by stopping the garlick to the one, whether a dog or person, who takes it regularly. And, that one, shall become irritable, no doubt. I know Indian Husbands, who get angry as the amount of garlick is not enough in the curry.

Now, whether one should love garlick, is one's personal choice. It does have an agreeable flavor. The same flavor is nauseating for others. After eating the garlick though, somehow the mouth odor is mostly obnoxious.

And, since garlic is one of the poisons, similar to coffee and tea, it is popular, though not in the same quantity.

But, I have no problems with a small garlick eater. If you want some recipes, you can try garlick with a great taste in:

Pizza, Lentil Soup, Avacado Guacamolie, Honey(!!!), etc.
Thushara
Posted 2006-06-07 10:55 PM (#55158 - in reply to #55077)

But we call them Honey
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-07-09 12:35 PM (#58165 - in reply to #54851)

To all:- I am hearing for the first time Garlick in Bee Honey.Though garlic is consumed by many in soups and sauces and as pickles and also as a herbal medicine , to me it is like adding poison to a divine fluid called Honey. If you eat garlic for a week at a stretch,you stink and the sweat that comes out of the pores of your skin has the punjent smell of garlic. Whose brainwave it is ,God only can say. God Save everybody.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-09 3:12 PM (#58168 - in reply to #58165)

Expert Yogi

Yes Tssundaram, I agree, garlic in honey would be terrible!!! I am a beekeeper here in America. Honey is a wonderful food. Garlic should be eaten in achar or mixed with vegetables and rice,

Recently I had a couple of fellow beekeeper friends mail me some honey from various places in the USA. I received some Mesquite Honey from New Mexico....aaahhh, it was like eating candy, it was a beautiful golden color. Then I got some Tupelo from Florida....even tastier and that same golden color. This week my bees are working on the beekeepers "dream" honey, Sourwood. It is called "White" honey and is DIVINE!! However, my real favorite for flavor is the Tupelo from Florida...it taste best with my Jasmine Green Tea,
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-07-11 12:27 PM (#58294 - in reply to #54851)

Cyndi:- Iagree with what you have mentionrd in the first three lines of your post # 58168 of 2006-07-10. Honey is really a food and tonic. Easily digestible. Assimilated quite readily also. Bees are the finest and best sweet makers in the world if I may say so, than any sweetmaker with all his skills in making sweets.
The first food that a new born is given is honey
Sise by side with honey I do not want to mention anything about Garlic. I hate garlic and its pungent smell.
I am 81 and I daily take honey in the following manner.
Two tespoons of honey in a glass of water,to which I add juice from a lemon and mix them well.
After my return from an hour's walking in the morning, I take the lemon -honey mixture slowly, and enjoy.This has been there for the last many years.
Spurious honey is available in the market with jaggery mixed. One has to be careful. In this respect you are lucky. You have your own Bee keeping machinery. Good luck to you.
I have enjoyed reading all your posts in this column. Very informative yours are.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-11 12:39 PM (#58296 - in reply to #58294)

Expert Yogi

Thank you and Namaste` Tssundaram,

So, your an ancient yogi huh?? I'm quite sure that by drinking honey in this manner has kept you in the best of health all these years. That is the reason I too decided to grow my own honey. It is really nice to know for sure that you are getting pure honey and not the fake honey. Most of my fellow American beekeeper friends, do not like this practice of fake honey...it is so wrong and is not correct.

I find interesting that you say honey is given to newborns. I agree totally with this, however, here in the West, medical doctors forbid you to give honey to children under the age of 3. This is a controversial matter, although, every Indian, Tibetan and Chinese family I know, ask me for honey all the time, just for their children. When I tell them what the medical docs say here in the West, they all say Bha, this is our culture, please give us some honey,

Take care, please tell us more about yourself, I would love to have a nice conversation with you over some chai and honey.

Cyndi
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-07-11 2:26 PM (#58312 - in reply to #54851)
Subject: RE: "OM"

Cyndi:- Thank you for your message # 58296. Very interesting to read your mail. What I am writing to you now is not on Garlic and Honey, but on the innocent, but powerful two letter word "OM" which I had sent to a few people interested in the same. When I send to you the write up on OM, I know I am carrying coal to Newcastle, because you will be definitely knowing this which I guage by reading your messages, but then I thought there is nothing that should keep my write up away from you. Here it goes on "OM".

"zzzuluwarrior ,ystan and all:- I agree in toto with what zzzulu has written in his post # 58182. A good idea . It never struck me. So let me make a beginning which should be useful to all.
I have already written something about the powerful word "OM" in this column. Please go throught he same. I shall narrate now a simple way of making use of the same in our day to day life for meditation. Read on...
Sit in a relaxed and comfortable position with the spine erect.
Close your eyes.
Verbally recite this powerful word "OM" 108 times or listen to the chanting silently by making use of a cassette.
While doing the above chanting, connect the tongue to your palate throughout the meditation to facilitate the circulation of energy in your body.
After the meditatiom is over, release the excess energy by blessing the earth,your country and your loved ones as a spiritual service.
Raise your hands at chest level with bent elbows and palms facing forward and allow the energy to flow.
The procedure for the simple meditation with OM is now over.
I would like to add something more about this sacred sound "OM", a universal sacred sound, that induces inner peace in a person.
OM is the essence of all manthras and is the primal sound from which the entire universe emanates.
OM energises and cleans the various energy centres of the body.
OM creates an energetically clean,peaceful and spiritual environment.
OM removes stress and negative psychic energies.
OM elevats your consciousness.
OM is the sound of stillness.
Start this chanting of "OM" and let us know your experience through this column.
Source:- World Pranic Healing Foundation. "
Good luck.

susanchain
Posted 2006-09-25 7:34 AM (#65306 - in reply to #54851)

The ancient Chinese book says that you can not eat honey with leek, shallot, onion and garlic. My aunt said she had have honey with garlic and some cayenne once, and after that her belly felt very painful and she even could not stand up.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-25 1:21 PM (#65341 - in reply to #54851)

susanchain:- I have seen your post # 65306 0f 2006-09-26.
To me, garlic in Bee Honey means adding poison to nectar. You are cent percent correct with your negative views on garlic in bee honey. I was very much surprised when I saw the title " Garlic in Bee Honey " and immediately raised my voice against the same and shot off two posts nos: 58165 0f 2006-07-10 as well as 58294of 2006-07-12. Please have a look at them.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-25 10:44 PM (#65364 - in reply to #65341)

tssundaram_80 - 2006-09-25 1:21 PM

susanchain:- I have seen your post # 65306 0f 2006-09-26.
To me, garlic in Bee Honey means adding poison to nectar. You are cent percent correct with your negative views on garlic in bee honey. I was very much surprised when I saw the title " Garlic in Bee Honey " and immediately raised my voice against the same and shot off two posts nos: 58165 0f 2006-07-10 as well as 58294of 2006-07-12. Please have a look at them.

Honey is NOT a human food, though many humans including myself eat it. And, Garlic is NOT a food at all, though more humans eat it.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-28 11:43 AM (#65623 - in reply to #65364)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry Tssundaram and NB, you will never find any Garlic in my bees honey, NEVER, EVER!!
John Howell
Posted 2009-03-05 9:52 AM (#114184 - in reply to #54851)

Hello,

I am an American from a family who has kept bees for around 30 years. My father was a county bee inspector in the state of Ohio.

To answer the question, are there other "critters" that produce honey besides the honeybee, the answer is yes. Bumblebees produce honey, however they do not store it in wax combs. Instead, they make paper-mache sacks the size of a pea, fill them up, seal it, and save it for the winter months when other sources of food become scarce or non-existent. The honey of the bumblebee is not as thick or viscous as honeybee honey. I have tasted it, and it is sweet like honey, but more watery.

As for mixing garlic with honey, this is a traditional medicine of the peoples of the Horn of Africa, namely in Somalia. When Somalian people become ill, they often crush garlic in a wooden mortar and pestle, and then mix it with honey. They add to this mixture the pungent seeds of the black cumin flower (nigella sativa). Blackseed has been used in Africa, Asia and the Middle-East for thousands of years as a seasoning and a medicine. Blackseed has even been found in the tombs of the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs. As the Somalian people are Cushites, they had trade and commerce with the ancient Egyptians, and have probably been using blackseed for at least that long. I wouldn't be surprised if their blackseed, honey and garlic mixture was used during those ancient times. In modern times, blackseed is reported to give a boost to the immune system when consumed as a dietary supplement.

The flavor of the blackseed, honey and garlic mixture is quite strong, but once you've become accustomed, it can be enjoyable. It is not consumed however for its flavor, but rather as an ancient traditional medicine by the peoples of East Africa.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-03-05 11:04 AM (#114188 - in reply to #114184)

Expert Yogi

Hi John,

That's very true about Garlic being used in medicine - in all parts of the world and in almost every culture....it is also used in Ayurveda as well...however, garlic is NOT Sattvic - it is Rajasic. When added to honey - which is Sattvic, it then becomes Rajasic. Rajasic foods causes the mind to be restless and should be avoided by yoga practictioners.

I understand where you are coming from, I too eat garlic sometimes. I just haven't given it up yet. One of these days!! LOL!

Edited by Cyndi 2009-03-05 11:06 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)