YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone know where I would
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2006-05-31 9:56 PM (#54409)
Subject: Does anyone know where I would

Extreme Veteran

find Greek-style yogurt?  I've read that is better for you than regular yogurt.  I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'm kind of curious to see what it's like.  Has anyone tried it?

Thanks,

Samantha

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-31 11:00 PM (#54417 - in reply to #54409)
Subject: RE: Does anyone know where I w

In a very good quality traditional Mediteranian Bakery or Shop.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-01 6:23 AM (#54441 - in reply to #54409)
Subject: RE: Does anyone know where I would

I haven't heard that one before but I guess that depends on how much sugar and additives are in the typical 'regular' yogurt where you are :-)

In the UK, you can find Greek-style yogurt (and, indeed, just about any kind of yogurt you can imagine and then some) in any medium to large sized supermarket. Failing that, I would guess any deli or health food shop that stocks dairy products.

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-06-01 11:08 AM (#54496 - in reply to #54441)

Expert Yogi

Dare I say it? Greece!

Posted 2006-06-01 11:57 AM (#54504 - in reply to #54409)

OMG greek yogurt or med yogurt is the best. it's so much thicker than 'regular' yogurt it's almost like creamy cheese.

we actually get it at Trader Joes. but, a good greek market and some italian markets will carry it. our nearest greek market isn't too far from here--because there's a really large greek community in king of prussia, pa. it costs about the same in both places, but we're more likely to go to trader joes than to the greek market. there's also a kosher/israeli market near us that carries something similar (it's a little thinner and a little sweater).

my favorite thing to do is put it in the bottom of a clear glass, and then put a layer of berries, and then either a layer of fresh, raw honey OR a layer of real maple syrup over that. It looks beautiful and it tastes divine!
samantha77
Posted 2006-06-01 1:49 PM (#54518 - in reply to #54496)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-06-01 11:08 AM Dare I say it? Greece!

I wish!

Thanks for the suggestions.  We have a trader joes near me so I think I'll try there.  I'm almost embarrassed to have asked this question, because I'm Greek, but I don't live in or near any Greek communities.  There is a Greek market kind of near me but they don't have it.  The owners had suggested a place in Astoria, but I don't think I would go to Queens New York for yougurt

Thanks again!

Samantha

Posted 2006-06-01 3:43 PM (#54530 - in reply to #54409)

yeah, it's a bit of a 'hike' just for yogurt.

sometimes DH and i go into philly and we make a list of errands. it's too hilarious. we strive to hit all the ethnic markets that we can, the piercing shop (just to stop by and chat usually), our favorite book shops (one used, one esoterica), and whatever else we might be going in for. So, sometimes we pick up specialized olive oils or spices or what have you.

we do have a lot of different kinds of markets very close to us: indian, general asian, one japanese, one vietnamese, one french (mostly cheese), different kinds of kosher delis and markets, greek markets, italian markets, and a number of mexican and south american markets. So if i need anything 'special' i can always find it within 15-30 minutes of home or between workplaces.

but msotly, i shop at trader joes and kimberton whole foods and farmer's markets. it's one of those things. you get used to a pattern.

(hehe, i edited because i said indian twice!)

Edited by zoebird 2006-06-01 3:44 PM
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-01 7:02 PM (#54560 - in reply to #54504)

zoebird - 2006-06-01 11:57 AM

OMG greek yogurt or med yogurt is the best. it's so much thicker than 'regular' yogurt it's almost like creamy cheese.

we actually get it at Trader Joes. but, a good greek market and some italian markets will carry it. our nearest greek market isn't too far from here--because there's a really large greek community in king of prussia, pa. it costs about the same in both places, but we're more likely to go to trader joes than to the greek market. there's also a kosher/israeli market near us that carries something similar (it's a little thinner and a little sweater).

my favorite thing to do is put it in the bottom of a clear glass, and then put a layer of berries, and then either a layer of fresh, raw honey OR a layer of real maple syrup over that. It looks beautiful and it tastes divine!

I've said it before and I'll say it again......I WOULD GIVE TEN YEARS OFF MY LIFE for a Trader Joe's here in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL!!!!!! I'm completely stoked that we now have Whole Foods Market!! Hey, that may be a good place to find Greek yogurt....
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-02 5:30 AM (#54596 - in reply to #54560)

Just had a thought.... how about buying a yoghurt machine and making your own (an example : http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?kw=yoghurt)?

Your regular yoghurt sounds icky. In the UK, ordinary yoghurt is smooth, creamy and flows off the spoon slowly. The rich versions have to be shaken off and the low fat ones are now so good you can hardly tell the difference. My local supermarket does a great organic, probiotic natural one that I put on my morning muesli with a little acacia honey.

We get
~ orginary
~ Greek-style or 'set'
~ drinking (thin, probiotic supplement but still a good texture)
~ Custard style
~ natural
~ fruit enhanced
~ layered with fruit or nuts or muesli
~ kids, adult, or family sized
~ Probiotic or not
~ Full of sugar, no sugar, fat-filled or lo-fat

You're imaging an entire chill cabinet with nothing but yoghurt in it now, right? Well, that is about the size of in in our hypermarkets :-)

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-06-02 5:52 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-02 8:30 AM (#54603 - in reply to #54409)

Expert Yogi

The very best greek yoghurt is called FAGE. Manufactured in Greece at Fage Dairy Industry S.A. Go to www.fageusa.com

This is the very best yoghurt, kinda pricey...but totally worth it. It has the texture of Sour Cream and it is organic. It is very good. I love it.
Thushara
Posted 2006-06-02 8:41 AM (#54605 - in reply to #54603)

Where do you have time to read/Browse about food like this Cyndi ??? I have seen every time you give the web site of a food store or recipe or some sort of description.....

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-02 9:06 AM (#54610 - in reply to #54605)

Expert Yogi

Believe me, I don't have time, even though I'm really computer/internet savvy Most products these days have the website's listed on their products and I use the Add Favorites feature in my email browser to keep up with everything....like I name my folders accordingly and in order........EASY,
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-02 9:55 AM (#54626 - in reply to #54409)

Cyndi's also really well informed when it comes to food.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-02 10:29 AM (#54632 - in reply to #54409)

i found a local dairy that has raw goat milk and this thread has made me really interested in making some yogurt.

so, i looked into it and it's easier than making beer(which i used to do)!

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-02 10:47 AM (#54637 - in reply to #54626)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-06-02 9:55 AM

Cyndi's also really well informed when it comes to food.

Well, yeah, that too!! Food is definitely one of my specialties. Although, it could also be the fact that I don't have to get out to a 9-5 job, have lots of free time, not free time, just *my* time to do WTF I want to do, I have a portable laptop in my KITCHEN , and not to mention we live in the technological zone, and yadda yadda. Actually, I discovered this yoghurt several months ago at the Farmer's Market that I shop at. I had some this morning with a sliced mango. I just put several spoonfuls on top of the mango...it was very good. I use this yoghurt in place of sour cream - it's thicker than Sour Cream...really! It's really good on a baked potato with ghee. BEWARE if you are watching your fat content....this yoghurt is high in fat, although they do make a fat free and 2%. My husband says I should not worry about the fat, that I should be worrying about carbs...so therefore, I do not eat fat free or 2% anything because I do not like the taste.

STC, I think they make a goats milk version of this yoghurt...or at least they do make a nice Feta. The cool part about this yogurt is that it is organic according to greek standards. I'm trying to modify and learn how to make a vegetarian version of gyro's....I'll let ya'll know when I get it down to a fine science. It's really hard to replace lamb in the gyro meat,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-06-02 11:06 AM
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-02 6:28 PM (#54687 - in reply to #54409)

We have a veggie gyro at the Greek place across the street. It's just made of veggies, though, no "mock meat" involved. If you perfect that recipe I want a copy!

Posted 2006-06-03 4:56 AM (#54723 - in reply to #54409)

ionly eat full fat dairy too--when i have total control (when out over at a friend's house, for instance, i may not if they are cooking). i agree that you don't have to worry about fat. you don't have to worry about carbs either. or protien. simply, eat while you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied. eat fresh and high quality--and you'll be fine.
TSha
Posted 2006-06-03 2:17 PM (#54746 - in reply to #54409)

I have been making my own yogurt for a few years. Its very simple and takes no time. And I can control what goes into it, its consistency and its flavor. It has such a fresh taste that I won't eat store bought anymore.
I have heard that it is not a good idea to use raw milk...something about the potential for bad bacteria.
I use a yogurt maker but you do not need one to make yogurt.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-03 4:27 PM (#54754 - in reply to #54746)

Expert Yogi

I've been keeping an eye on the one in the Williams-sonoma catalog. Although, for now, I think I'd rather leave it to the experts and get the real greek stuff - that yoghurt is so good, I doubt mine would turn out that good at first..it would take too many years of practice and right now I have to choose my projects wisely. Like I'm way in deep with beekeeping and am not ready to add anything else to my cart....that is always subject to change though,

Posted 2006-06-03 5:53 PM (#54757 - in reply to #54409)

here's a link to information and recipes: http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/yogurt.html

these don't use yogurt makers as far as i can tell. and using raw milk is fine. if the raw milk comes from a clean, respectable dairy, then it will make great yogurt.

Edited by zoebird 2006-06-03 6:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)