YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stomach Issue
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Miabella704
Posted 2006-05-30 2:44 PM (#54281)
Subject: Stomach Issue

Recently I've been losing the ability to digest much of anything. I thought I'd post my symptoms before I trek off to the doctor for a myriad of expensive tests.
What happens is that I become constipated then, a day or two later, I get horrible indigestion. Anything I eat sits in my stomach like a rock. I have gastro-esophageal reflux during this and NOTHING relieves my stomach pain. NOTHING. Within 24 hours I develop diarrhea and cramping/stomach pain that lasts 2-4 days.
Has anyone else ever had this???? It's been going on for a few months now and happens every 2-4 weeks.

Edited by Miabella704 2006-05-30 2:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-30 5:10 PM (#54288 - in reply to #54281)
Subject: RE: Stomach Issue

no, never have i experienced this

of course i have to ask, are you taking any medications?
tourist
Posted 2006-05-30 7:00 PM (#54293 - in reply to #54281)

Expert Yogi

mia - what happens before the constipation? If you can figure out what triggers that you might be able to stop the cycle. Sounds like irritable bowel type symptoms to me. The sad part about that is that doctors are remarkably unhelpful with IBS
Miabella704
Posted 2006-05-30 7:15 PM (#54294 - in reply to #54281)

I know, Tourist. I think it could be related to my endometriosis. I don't know. I'm not on any medications and I'd like to keep it that way.
I'd rather ask around since I'm not experiencing anything life threatening or alarming. I hate to go see the doctor and have him run tests then still not really have any solutions to my problem.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-05-31 6:01 AM (#54316 - in reply to #54294)

Given that you have a history of abdominal problems, I would not mess about and would get myself off to the doctor. If only as you may be worrying more than you need to. I too think this sounds a little like IBS. In which case, worrying is *not* going to help.

My own doctor told me that for him, one of the key diagnostic indicators for IBS versus anything else was whether the patient was losing weight or not at the same time. If not, then it's probably IBS as just about anything else it could be tends to feature weight loss.

If your doctor agrees this is IBS, then the following can aid breaking the viscious cycle : worry = symptoms = more worry = more symptoms.

1. Find out where all the public access loos are in your area so you can plan journeys accordingly (if like me, you tend to be loose when suffering an IBS attack rather than bunged up, this is a major help in stress reduction as you know you always have a loo nearby)
2. Increase the soluble fibre in your diet - many sufferers tend to up insoluble fibre not realising that this is like swallowing razors down on top of already inflammed tissue.
3. Get plenty of sleep / feet up rest as being tired can aggrevate an IBS attack.
4. Try adding a probiotic yogurt to your daily diet as your flora is likely to be out of balance.
5. If the above do not help or not enough, the doctor can proscribe a drug that relaxes the muscles of the digestive tract for a few weeks. This again helps break the viscious cycle as IBS is effectively a cramping of the 40 foot or so of small intestine. If you consider how painful leg cramp can be, it's no wonder IBS can be so foul!
6. Particularly look after yourself if you have periods. I find these days that if my IBS is going to play up then I can pretty much guarentee the following correlation with my cycle. Week before = constipation. Week on, everything floods out of me (blocked guts release, water retention releases, blood flow).

Keep a diary relating diet and cycle (if appropriate) to symptoms as this will aid both diagnosis of your problem and help you eliminate trigger foods until your condition is under control / cured. For me, garlic and onions were the worst if I were beginning an attack for e.g.

Best wishes,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2006-05-31 6:05 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-31 9:32 AM (#54335 - in reply to #54281)

Friend of mine also has IBS, so I was thinking the same thing. I'd also add not binge drinking and eating White Castle at 3 am.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-05-31 11:56 AM (#54355 - in reply to #54335)

Totally GJ! When my IBS was crippling my life, I couldn't take alchohol at all. Well, almost not all. Dark sweet Sherry was wonderful in moderation as it settled my guts down a treat. I only found out as I got a craving for it when I opened my store cupboard door and saw it when fetching something else. The relief!

Heaven alone knows why a drink normally only fit for aging aunts ;-) and the Xmas trifle should help but it does *shrugs*.

Ginger can be great for soothing acid indigestion by the way.

Of course, the only real 'cure' for IBS is to address the underlying stressors.

Tips for venting inwardly turned stress :

1. Throw a bar of soap into the tub repeatedly
2. Talk all your frustrations out with the kitchen wall
3. Primal screaming (into a cushion if you want to avoid frightening small animals and children)
4. Pick up cheap crockery from a church sale, boot sale, yard sale or whatever and have a good smashing session
5. Buy one of those Boss dolls held together with velcro so you can rip it apart and chuck the bits at the wall
6. Go into counselling

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-05-31 12:07 PM

Posted 2006-05-31 12:00 PM (#54357 - in reply to #54281)

i do not have ibs, but i do have what others would call ibs. simply, i don't like considering the diagnosis.

but, i do have a number of unique stomach issues. if i don't eat regularly, then i get stomach problems (gas and constipation). if i don't eat and then i eat a lot or i eat dairy products or i eat foods that are too spicy, then i end up with gas, upset stomach, and then alternating constipation and diarrhea. i can fast--meaning no food--for up to three days. the first day i get the stomach issues (gas, constipation), which then passes by day two. and when i hit day three, i need to eat again.

i reintroduce foods starting with apples. i don't know why, but red delicious and royal gala apples are the best foods when i have any stomach symptoms. after this, i consume crackers. wheat thins or similar seem to work well, though today i'm on a steady diet of all natural woven wheat wafers (like triscuits but all natural). and then over the next few days i can add in foods again, starting with vegetable broths with noodles and soft root veggies, then some beans, and then eggs and dairy again.

in general, i take Eater's Digest tea which is low in ginger. ginger and ginger teas usually make things much worse for me.

it's not a fun process.

when my symptoms get really bad, i put ginger slices and peppermint into sparkling water as 'ginger ale' and have crackers. In fact, i've been on crackers and 'ginger ale' and Eater's Digest tea for the last two days now.

it's because when i got my hair done, i was in a chair for 5 hours. i ate only yogurt 1 hour before then, and then it was 1 more hour before i got to eat. We ate indian--and while i ordered mild, it didn't sit well. and so i got sick.

it went full blown yesterday--even giving me a fever which occassionally happens--and so i'm on crackers and 'ginger ale' and eater's digest tea.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-31 2:19 PM (#54371 - in reply to #54281)

Expert Yogi

Hi Kristen,

You may want to consider trying Triphala for a few days, it helps alot. You can buy triphala tablets at www.ayurceutics.com or call them at 800-994-2987. I love this company and the quality of their products. One tablet = 750 mg, this is considered a high potency formula, the normal is 500 mg. You should start by taking 1 two-three times a day - start with 2 x's a day and go to 3 if you think you need more. I've written in the past the benefits of Triphala. This is an excellent remedy for stomach and digestion ails. It also helps detox at the same time. This product is completely natural, safe and has no side effects. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't. Be careful of some tripala products as they have heavy metal content and are not of good quality. This particular company is excellent and is manufactured in the USA.

In Ayurvedic medicine, this would be the very first formula to take for this problem. Triphala constanty rejuvenates and balances the body. It also balances all 3 doshas and is completely natural. If you need more information, email me and I'll try to locate it or do a search here in the nutritional section. I would definitely give this a swirl before I would start operation procedings I have found this problem to come and go in cycles with myself...especially around my mid-cycle, just before my period.

Also, this is not an overnite quick fix, so you must be patient with yourself. Give it at least a week and then see what happens. If you don't get results, then I would start looking for a Chinese MD that can give you some herbs to take. You Western MD won't tell you this...but I will. You may want to think about intestinal parasites. Sometimes this can bring these kinds of symptoms. If you are eating raw foods and salads, you are more vulnerable to these kinds of things. This is why I eat bitter melon, garlic and even Neem. It keeps things flowing smoothly. Be careful with Ginger as it can bring on the heat. Since you are in Florida and its hot right now and you most likely have a strong Pitta dosha, from what I can remember from our last correspondence, Ginger will provoke this dosha and should be used cautiously in the summer months, if at all. Only use it for flavoring food dishes, use it sparingly. Good luck.

Below is an article I found.

The Wonders of Triphala:
Ayurvedic Formula for
Internal Purification

Dr. Michael Tierra L.Ac., O.M.D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most popular herbal remedies in the health food industry are those which promote bowel movement. The reason is quite simple since the most common problem of so many individuals is constipation and bowel irregularity. Consider how tremendously valuable a formula is that not only regulates bowel movement but at the same time does the following:

improves digestion,
reduces serum cholesterol,
improves circulation (potentiates adrenergic function),
contains 31% linoleic acid,
exerts a marked cardio-protective effect,
reduces high blood pressure,
improves liver function,
has proven anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties,
expectorant, hypotensive.
Sound like a panacea? Well, it is practically just that.

Triphala, as it is called, is the most popular Ayurvedic herbal formula of India, since it is an effective laxative which also supports the body's strength. The constitution of vegetarian Hindus cannot tolerate harsh laxatives anymore than vegetarians in other countries. Because of its high nutritional value, Triphala uniquely cleanses and detoxifies at the deepest organic levels without depleting the body's reserves. This makes it one of the most valuable herbal preparations in the world.

How is Triphala different from other kinds of laxatives? There are two primary types of herbal laxatives. One is called a purgative and includes herbs such as senna, rhubarb, leptandra, buckthorne and cascara. These often contain bitter principles in the form of anthroquinones which work by stimulating the peristaltic action of the intestinal lining, either directly or by promoting the secretion of bile through the liver and gall bladder.

The second type of laxative is a lubricating bulk laxative, including demulcent herbs such as psyllium and flax seed. This is more nutritional and usually does not have any significant direct effect on either the liver or the gall bladder. Rather, these work like a sponge by swelling and absorbing fluid, thus acting as an intestinal broom.

Triphala combines both nutritional as well as blood and liver cleansing actions. It has little function as a demulcent or lubricating laxative, however. It possesses some anthroquinones which help stimulate bile flow and peristalsis. The nutritional aspect is more in the form of its high vitamin C content, the presence of linoleic oil and other important nutrients which it makes more of a tonic.

People who are in need of purgatives are those whose bowel irregularity is caused by liver and gall bladder congestion usually accompanied by some degree of blood toxins. Those in need of demulcent laxatives are those with intestinal dryness caused by a variety of metabolic factors including a nutritional deficiency as well as a condition of excess hypermetabolic energy. Triphala will prove useful for all kinds of constipation except that caused by a lack of vital energy or chi. Even for the latter type, it will not further deplete such an individual and can be made to work well if it is combined with other chi, blood or yang-warming tonic herbs such as ginseng for chi tonification, tang kuei for blood tonification and prepared aconite for yang tonification.

Herbal healing is largely a matter of strategy. One approach may emphasize tonification while another emphasizes elimination. The problem with overemphasizing tonification is that it can lead to further stagnation and congestion in an excess condition. Emphasizing elimination through the overuse of purgatives in an already deficient individual can further deplete the body's store of minerals and essential B vitamins as well as imbalance beneficial intestinal micro-organisms. The result is weakness with a likely tendency towards chronic fatigue and anemia. Since the body is always simultaneously involved with maintaining and gaining strength through good nutrition as well as eliminating waste, Triphala is unique in that it is naturally able to support both vital processes simultaneously.

Because of its high nutritional content, Ayurvedic doctors generally do not regard Triphala as a mere laxative. Some of the scientific research and practical experience of people using it down through the ages has demonstrated that Triphala is an effective blood purifier that stimulates bile secretion as it detoxifies the liver, helps digestion and assimilation, and significantly reduces serum cholesterol and lipid levels throughout body. As a result, it is regarded as a kind of universal panacea and is the most commonly prescribed herbal formula.

A popular folk saying in India is, "No mother? do not worry so long as you have Triphala." The reason is that Indian people believe that triphala is able to care for the internal organs of the body as a mother cares for her children. Each of the three herbal fruits of tTriphala takes care of the body by gently promoting internal cleansing of all conditions of stagnation and excess while at the same time it improves digestion and assimilation.

We herbalists believe that the longevity and innate power of herbs such as those of Triphala are, when ingested, energetically absorbed and imparted to our reserves. This belief exists with herbs such as wild ginseng, where specimens that have "weathered" decades of climatic stress have been found to contain the highest concentration of ginsenosides. The Ginkgo tree is another of those long lived plants whose evolution extends back over millennia to the time of the dinosaurs.

The three fruits of Triphala (Harada, Amla and Bihara) each correspond to the "three humours" or "tridosha" of Indian Ayurvedic medicine. According to Ayurvedic theory, the body is composed of three doshas or humours. Vata is sometimes translated as "wind" which corresponds to the mind and nervous system. Its nature is dry, cold, light and activating. The second is pitta which is also translated as "fire" or "bile." It is responsible for all metabolic transformations including the digestion and assimilation of food as well as assimilation and clarity of thought and understanding. The nature of pitta is primarily hot, moist and light. Kapha is sometimes translated as the "water" or "mucus" humour and is responsible for all anabolic or building functions such as the development of muscle and bone tissue. Its nature is cool, moist and heavy.

Harada, having a bitter flavor, is associated with the vata humour as well as the air and space elements. It treats imbalances and diseases of the vata humour. Harada possesses laxative, astringent, lubricant, antiparasitical, alterative, antispasmodic and nervine properties. It is therefore used to treat acute and chronic constipation, nervousness, anxiety and feelings of physical heaviness.

Among Tibetans, Harada is so highly revered for its purifying attributes that it is the small fruit that is depicted in the hands of the "medicine Buddha" in their sacred paintings or tankas. Of the three fruits, Harada is the most laxative and contains anthroquinones similar to those found in rhubarb and cascara.

Amla has a sour flavor and corresponds to the pitta humour and the fire element in Ayurvedic medicine. It is a cooling tonic, astringent, mildly laxative, alterative, antipyretic. It is used to treat fire imbalances that include ulcers, inflammation of the stomach, intestines, constipation, diarrhea, liver congestion, eruptions, infections and burning feelings throughout the body. In various studies, Amla has been shown to have mild anti-bacterial[1] properties, pronounced expectorant[2], anti-viral[3] and cardiotonic[4] activity.

Amla is the highest natural known source of vitamin C. Having 20 times the vitamin C content of an orange, Amla is also uniquely heat stable. Even when subjected to prolonged high heat, as in the making of the Ayurvedic tonic formula called Chyavanprash, Amla, as the primary herb comprising 50% of the formula, hardly loses any of the vitamin C that is present when it is freshly harvested off the tree. The same is true of Amla that has been dried and kept for up to a year. This age and heat stable form of vitamin C in Amla is due to the presence of certain tannins that bind and inhibit its dissipation.

Bihara is astringent, tonic, digestive and anti-spasmodic. Its primary flavor is astringent and the secondary is sweet, bitter and pungent. It targets imbalances associated with the kapha or mucus humour, corresponding to the earth and water elements in Ayurvedic medicine. Specifically Bihara purifies and balances excess mucus, treats asthma, bronchiole conditions, allergies and hiccoughs.

Ama is a term denoting a substance associated in Ayurveda with chronic disease patterns and symptoms of aging. It is described as a kind of sticky buildup of material that clogs the circulatory channels. In many ways it is nearly identical to the accumulation of excess cholesterol and blood lipids described in the West. Both conditions seem to contribute to a wide variety of circulatory disorders ranging from senility, rheumatic conditions, cancer and heart disease. It is interesting that in Traditional Chinese Medicine there is also a pathological condition associated with the heart called "invisible mucus" that is similar to the descriptions of both excess cholesterol and ama in Ayurveda.

One of the body's reactions to coping with stress is to increase the production of corticosteroids. The accumulation of these stress hormones can also contribute to the formation of cholesterol. Internal stress and the resultant buildup of cholesterol can be caused by the abuse of stimulants, spicy, hot foods such as garlic and cayenne, excessive aerobic exercise and repression of the emotions. It is interesting that an excess of some of those very substances and activities that lower cholesterol in some, when not utilized in a holistic, balanced manner, can act as a stimulant and add further stress that would precipitate the further accumulation of cholesterol. Triphala is one of two[5] Ayurvedic formulations that are specific for eliminating Ama and cholesterol from the body.

Triphala is a completely balanced energetic formula, being neither too cold, nor too hot. When taken regularly over a long period, it gently effects the elimination and purification of Ama from the tissues of the entire body. The three fruits have been scientifically studied and confirm some of its known traditional benefits. These include the lowering of cholesterol, reducing high blood pressure, benefiting circulation, improving digestion and regulating elimination without causing any laxative dependency.

One Indian study reported by C.P. Thakur, demonstrated the enormous value and effectiveness of Amla, reducing serum, aortic and hepatic cholesterol in rabbits[6]. In another study[7], extracts of Amla fruit were found to decrease serum free fatty acids and increase cardiac glycogen. This helps to prevent heart attacks by providing significantly greater protection and nourishment to the heart muscle.

Studies of the fruit of Bihara[8] found that it contains up to 35% oil and 40% protein. The oil is used in soap making and by the poorer classes as a substitute cooking oil for ghee. The sweet smelling oil is 35% palmitic, 24% oleic and 31% linoleic. Linoleic oil is an essential fatty acid important for increasing HDL cholesterol, associated with a healthy state and reducing LDL cholesterol, considered to indicate a higher-than-average risk for developing coronary-heart disease.

One of numerous studies of Harada[9] demonstrated its anti-vata or anti-spasmodic properties by the reduction of abnormal blood pressure as well as intestinal spasms. This confirms its traditional usefulness for heart conditions, spastic colon and other intestinal disorders.

With all the virtues of the three individual herbs, Triphala has many wide and varied uses as a therapeutic herbal food. Before considering pathological indications for which Triphala would be appropriate, we should never ignore the value of taking it on some regular basis whether once daily or once or twice a week simply for health maintenance. Triphala, having great nutritional properties, will help to prevent sickness.

I remember meeting a yogic master who was in his late eighties and staying in Santa Cruz for a few months. Being clear of mind and body, he could out walk anyone, both in terms of speed and distance. Besides his practice of meditation, he considered the fact that his remarkable fitness and health was primarily due to the fact that his diet consisted primarily of Kicharee (mung beans, rice, ghee and spices, i.e., cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt) and a daily dose of Triphala as the primary herbal tonic.

I have numerous reports of individuals with chronic constipative tendencies who were able to regulate their bowels with the use of Triphala. One patient with a history of bowel irregularity was suffering from pyorrhea. After taking Triphala twice a day for three months, she was completely cured. Another patient who was at least 40 pounds overweight began taking Triphala and lost 20 pounds in a month with hardly any modifications in her diet. The reason is that such severe obesity is usually accompanied by congestion of the internal organs of elimination, including the liver and bowels. As a result, digestion is compromised with the poorly assimilated food contributing to the organ congestion. For such conditions, Triphala can be highly effective in removing stagnation of both the liver and intestines.

Regardless of any other herbs used, Triphala can be prescribed singly or adjunctively whenever there are symptoms of inflammation, heat, infection, obesity and other conditions of excess. Because of its combined tonic and eliminative properties, it is generally quite safe to give even for deficiency diseases including anemia, fatigue, candida, poor digestion and assimilation. Unlike other eliminative and cleansing herbs, Triphala is safely taken for symptoms of wasting heat that frequently accompanies diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia and AIDS.

There are two ways to take Triphala, as a powder or tablet. Traditionally Triphala is taken as a churna or powder. One would stir in two or three grams of the powder with warm water and consume the entire amount each evening or divided into three doses throughout the day. Since for most it does not possess a flavor that one would look forward to experiencing, it is convenient that Triphala is available in tablet or capsule form. Generally the dose is from two tablets 1-3 times daily or four to six tablets one time daily. Children may only require one or two tablets in the evening.

The larger dose is more laxative while the smaller dose tends to be more gradually blood purifying. A smaller dose might be one or two tablets three times daily. One should increase or decrease the dose according to one's bowel movements. Since there are no problems in using Triphala, the dose can be adjusted upwards from the suggested amount.

Triphala is also widely taken for all eye diseases including the treatment of conjunctivitis, progressive myopia, the early stages of glaucoma and cataracts. For these conditions, it is taken daily both internally as described above, as well as externally as an eye wash. Steep one tablespoonful of the powder or six tablets in an 8 ounce glass of water overnight. In the morning, strain the infusion through a clean cloth. The resultant tea is used to sprinkle over the eyes or used in an eyewash in an eyecup that can be readily purchased at most drug stores. One can drink the remainder in one or two doses, morning and evening. Taken in this way for at least three months, Triphala becomes an herbal eye tonic.

As stated, there can be different reactions to the same dose of triphala. For some it causes too loose bowels while in others it may have little or no effect. As a result, it may take two or three days to regulate the dose that is best. After the constipative tendencies are removed, usually within 15 days of daily application, it will no longer cause loose bowels.

Presently Triphala is distributed and available in the US from a few different sources. The powder can be purchased in most Indian food import stores in larger cities. Tablets are currently manufactured and distributed by Planetary Herb Formulas as well as a few other companies.

I have used Triphala as a regular part of my clinical practice for at least ten years. I know that other Ayurvedic doctors both here and in India also regularly prescribe Triphala for most of their patients to be taken at least once each evening. For centuries, Triphala has been known and used as a standard household health supplement much as vitamins are in the West. In many households, Triphala is taken on a weekly basis by all family members to prevent disease and maintain health.

In India, Triphala is considered the greatest and most versatile of all herbal formulations. With the presence of such a vitamin C rich herbal food as Amla, it possesses unique nutritive tonic and eliminative properties. Both the public and therapists of all disciplines should be able to benefit from its unique therapeutic virtues.

Planetary products was the first to introduce Triphala to the US herb market. It is no wonder that it is one of the best selling formulas in the entire line. Triphala is traditionally taken and works best when taken as a powder. The average dose is from one to two teaspoons of the powder in a little water once in the evening or three times daily for blood and general body purification. It can also be taken regularly once a week with great benefit since it promotes balanced cleansing and detoxification. The tablets are for convenience since many find the powder too have too unpleasant a flavor for the more spoiled tastes of westerners. Triphala has been found to be very effective for helping to control weight gain, chronic constipation and as an adjunctive treatment for many chronic degenerative conditions.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-05-31 2:40 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-05-31 7:07 PM (#54400 - in reply to #54371)

Expert Yogi

I had a lot of IBS symptoms before they finally figured out it was reflux. When I started practicing regularly they all went away except the reflux. Strange...
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-31 9:33 PM (#54407 - in reply to #54400)

tourist - 2006-05-31 7:07 PM

I had a lot of IBS symptoms before they finally figured out it was reflux. When I started practicing regularly they all went away except the reflux. Strange...

Yoga's a wonderful thing, but I don't think it will fix a disease caused by a virus.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-31 10:58 PM (#54416 - in reply to #54281)

Miabella: I think your problem has to do with your habits, mainly eating and also other. I can only advise you if and when you meet me. But, my current response is:

- Doctor can probably look at your conditios in terms of symptoms or anatomy, but would not help you unless that Doctor has good habits of his own for a long long time.

- You should go to one who has good background in in Nutrition, and follow their advice for prolonged time.

- Any other treatment including Ayurvedic, Chinese, Allopathic, Alternative medicines will be of only limited and short use.

Best Luck
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-01 12:05 PM (#54505 - in reply to #54416)

Expert Yogi

There is a book by Robert E. Svoboda called "Ayurveda for Women". Even if you are not planning on using Ayurvedic methods, this book is excellent for women. It explains everything in detail about environments, lifestyle, the cycles of a woman's life, doshas in relationships, what triggers certain ailments, food issues and guidelines, dieting and using food as medicine. It even ventures into menopause as well. I really feel this book should belong on every woman's shelf. Using herbal remedies as an aid to better health is not a problem, it is all about balance. Learning how to balance the external and internal is crucial for a healthy body. This book is really useful in explaining how to implement this in your daily life and the reasons why it is so important, based on your body's constitution. It doesn't hurt to educate yourself about how the body naturally operates...in fact, Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine flows with and compliments yoga principals, which is why I like the Science of Ayurveda. Here are some quotes from this book which I think are interesting.

"The first step in self-transformation is to balance your doshas, which you can begin to do by a gradual change in diet that is appropriate for your condition. To go on a strict anit-kapha diet and exercise program when you are highly vata-provoked could throw you even further off balance. Work with your body, and let your mind si quietly for a change. That way, it might learn something".

Food as medicine. "Even if you move gradually into a lifestyle that promotes health, it is still possible sometimes to find yourself unbalanced. As your body relinquishes its previous alignments, temporary misalignments may arise. Ayurveda believes it is always best to begin with the simplest, mildest treatment for a disease, particularly when that disease has arisen as the body purifies itself. As part of our daily food, spices promote the digestion of the food they are cooked with, and when used remedially they promote the digestion of ama, which is made up of food that you previously ingested".

Anyway, using herbal remedies to balance yourself is a good thing. Especially if you work with someone who knows what they are doing and/or are educated in the field by someone who is. We all have to start some place and sometimes doing nothing or using harsh chemicals and drugs is not always the answer and can lead to further complications. I love my Yoga practice, but I also feel that by having the insight into how to remedy certain ailments and diseases is part of my practice and is beneficial so that I can have a quality of life, rather than being sick or distressed. Using natural remedies and methods is a part of my regime and I certainly would choose these methods and means over the UN-Natural ones, which is where I gathered Kristen was leaning towards.

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-06-01 1:03 PM (#54513 - in reply to #54281)

Definitely go the kinder, gentler, natural route when treating digestive issues. Probably good to get the Western diagnostic tests if your insurance covers it. It's good to rule things out, then make a game plan.

You've gotten good advice from the others. I just wish eating (and digesting) was more of a sacred event in our culture. It's really important.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-01 5:03 PM (#54550 - in reply to #54281)

I have just gotten really burned out on MDs and prescriptions. I spent a fortune on meds and tests for chronic UTI's 5 years ago. I finally started taking the natural route to restore the immune system all of it had destroyed and now I get a UTI maybe once a year. I was up to one UTI per every 4-6 weeks for two years.
Anyway, this isn't cancer or something life threatening. It's just annoying and uncomfortable as h*ll. What I don't get is why I suffer such horrible indigestion/stomach ache before the colon gets involved. It's like my entire digestive system just shuts down.
Yoga and vegetarianism solved my stomach issues until recently. Now this thing is a whole new ailment.
I was in Marco Island (Naples, Fl) for four days over the weekend and I drank 2-3 beers a day along with low fiber, processed junk and restaurant food. That may have done it.
I was hoping Cyndi would respond to this. I'm going to follow her advice. In fact, I was actually trying to research some Ayurvedic remedies before I wrote my inquiry here. I just ordered the product recommended by Cyndi (www.ayurceutics.com)

Edited by Miabella704 2006-06-01 5:12 PM
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-01 5:06 PM (#54552 - in reply to #54416)

kulkarnn - 2006-05-31 10:58 PM

Miabella: I think your problem has to do with your habits, mainly eating and also other. I can only advise you if and when you meet me. But, my current response is:

- Doctor can probably look at your conditios in terms of symptoms or anatomy, but would not help you unless that Doctor has good habits of his own for a long long time.

- You should go to one who has good background in in Nutrition, and follow their advice for prolonged time.

- Any other treatment including Ayurvedic, Chinese, Allopathic, Alternative medicines will be of only limited and short use.

Best Luck

You've offered to help me with my scoliosis, also. I'd love to drop everything and come stay with you and let you help me. Maybe I could swing it for a week. You're in Virginia, right?
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-02 11:20 AM (#54646 - in reply to #54281)

Stay with me?!!!! Ok, we shall arrange a stay for you somewhere. Welcome.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-02 11:23 AM (#54647 - in reply to #54646)

Expert Yogi

Lucky girl Kristen,

I think NB just gave you an offer that you should not refuse or pass up!!
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-02 2:52 PM (#54669 - in reply to #54281)

Hang on, Neel!!!! I'm on my way....
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-03 10:39 PM (#54766 - in reply to #54281)

Uh.....Neel?????
shnen
Posted 2006-06-04 9:52 AM (#54780 - in reply to #54281)

My best friend has IBS really bad. However, when placed on a low level anti-depressant she was alleviated from it.

I believe it is stress relate - and instead of going to a doctor - find a homeopath to help you. chances are all drugs are going to do is irritate it more.

I had horrible indigestion for years - always complaining that I felt sick. i went to a homeopath and they have me on herbs for my liver, not my stomach. In fact all the tummy stuff I took only made it worse.

Good luck. Tummy troubles are never fun!
tourist
Posted 2006-06-04 11:49 AM (#54790 - in reply to #54780)

Expert Yogi

Shnen - you are right. It often seems to be our clogged up livers that cause our problems. I admit, I did feel much better when I was going to a naturopath and had herbs and diet that cleared my liver. Not cured, but better.

Posted 2006-06-04 7:09 PM (#54815 - in reply to #54281)

when ryan and i get back from scandanavia, we're going to do a 30-day parasite cleanse it's an all natural, herbal cleanse that our friends did for the month of may. They had excellent results. It was recommended to them by a number of people, including a woman who does TCM and has a TCM doctor.

i do not know if it will 'alleviate tummy troubles' but it's seemed to do a lot for the people whom i've talked to about it. all sorts of results. Nearly everyone poops out a number of rather large worm-like parasites by the middle of the cleanse. I'm interested to see what comes of it.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-04 9:38 PM (#54823 - in reply to #54815)

zoebird - 2006-06-04 7:09 PM
i do not know if it will 'alleviate tummy troubles' but it's seemed to do a lot for the people whom i've talked to about it. all sorts of results. Nearly everyone poops out a number of rather large worm-like parasites by the middle of the cleanse. I'm interested to see what comes of it.

Are they sure these are parasites?

I sounds very odd to me that people living in western civilization with it's access to clean water and food and advanced medical care would have these sorts of problems. I understand that our food is far from perfect, but I would think that something that caused parasites would be banned. If was not caused by the food, or was unpreventable wouldn't doctors be checking their patients for these sorts of things? My kitten gets checkups and shots for various parasites, why wouldn't my human doctor do the same?

I think I've have to see some pictures first.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-06-04 10:09 PM (#54826 - in reply to #54281)

Zoebird: I want the instructions for that cleanse! I'd like to do that if for no other reason than to see large worms come out of me. That's too interesting to pass up!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)