YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with my oral hygiene
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-19 12:11 AM (#53078 - in reply to #52847)
Subject: RE: Need help with my oral hygiene

The "on the go" part is probably going to be your biggest challenge. No time to lightly steam your veggies, huh? Lightly steamed would make your digestive system very happy. Raw food can be hard on the digestive system (Chinese med theory).

I know! Find a wife to cook your food for you everyday! Wives can get expensive, so you might have to save up for one.

Good luck to you. Eating right can seem like a full-time job.

Oh, BTW, the coating on your tongue cannot be scraped off permenantly. It is an indication of what's going on in your tummy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Howdythere
Posted 2006-05-19 5:56 AM (#53086 - in reply to #52847)

A wife huh, I think a girlfriend would be a good start for me, heh.

Eating right definitely is a task, I am on the go alot and I don't really have much time to perfectly prepare stuff, even when I arrive home I hardly have much time as I need to sleep early.

Edited by Howdythere 2006-05-19 5:56 AM

Posted 2006-05-19 8:27 AM (#53093 - in reply to #52847)

protien supplements are not that digestable. the most digestable one is whey protien. soy protien isolate doesn't digest or get used at all. so avoid it. if possible, avoid both of them.

consider this as a possible meal plan:

breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, fresh veggies (i like sliced carrots, celery, peppers), and piece of fruit

snack: hand full of nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachio nuts, etc), fruit

lunch: large salad with variety of vegetables and beans (boiled or sprouted). salad dressing of olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper

snack: hummus and veggies

dinner: i like bean soups, salad or steamed veggies, and i have bread at this meal, usually, if i'm going to have it. I recommend sprouted grain bread such as Alvarado St or Ezekiel brand. if you eat meat, have meat or meat soup with veggies and bread. I also use butter on my bread.

snack: steamed veggies or stewed/baked fruit or home-made ice cream.

After a workout, a good combination is fruit such as melons or berries or grapes (or a mix thereof) with some form of high protien such as nuts or whole (full fat) raw (unpasturized) milk.

Fat is good for you--it's particularly good for you if you work out.

Most of the things i've listed here are easy to make. You spend about 30 minutes chopping at nite the day before. I keep fruit whole. I make ice cream once a month, usually on a sunday. I also boil 6 or so eggs at a time and keep them in the fridge for a few days. it only takes about 10 minutes to boil eggs.

So, here's a process:

Sunday schedule: wake up, yoga, clean, breakfast, chores, crock pot beans or soup, day plans (pack lunch and snacks), return for dinner and turn off crock pot. eat dinner, cook eggs while cutting veggies. make ice cream following. Hang out until bed time. Sleep.

then on monday, i have eggs, ice cream, veggies, and beans ready to go. If i'm having soup for dinner, i'll put it in the crock pot that morning and leave it. it will be done by evening or afternoon. if it's a workout day and i'm having melon, then i'll slice the melon that morning.

once you get into a process of simply doing things ahead of time and using proper storage (we use mostly glass containers for storage right now), then you should be fine. if you eat meat, you may want to make a couple of chicken breasts that you can toss over your salad or whatever throughout the week.

mostly, it's about pre-planning.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-19 9:04 AM (#53097 - in reply to #53093)

zoebird - 2006-05-19 8:27 AM
Fat is good for you--it's particularly good for you if you work out.

the right kind, and considering it's ZB, I'm pretty sure that the fats are from Nuts and Grains

Flaxseed and Oatmeal have good fats, so do nuts.
johnb838
Posted 2006-05-19 2:52 PM (#53150 - in reply to #52894)

I was just going to post about the flossing. There isn't any substitute. Brushing doesn't get out all the little particles that collect between the teeth. Then it decays and produces a rank smell. Also agree, the first couple of times he flosses therre may be a really rotten stink. If so, he's on to something. It definitely goes away. Teaching myself to floss was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and one of the most worth it.

Posted 2006-05-19 3:47 PM (#53164 - in reply to #52847)

Good fats are saturated fat, unsaturated fat, and omega 3 and 6 in balance. Each of these needs to be in the right quantities. when we consume a lot of processed flours, instead of sprouted grain flours, these processed flours are turned into "sticky" saturated fat by our bodies which is part of the process that causes heart disease. Similarly, the typical, highly-processed diet that most westerners, most americans, consume imbalances our 3 and 6 ratio--giving us more 6 than 3. supplementing with flax seeds or flax seed oil for three months to balance this (while removing processed foods), and then continuing with a balance of 3 and 6 by consuming flax seed oil and walnut oil or flax seeds and walnut seeds is a good way to maintain these healthy fats in balance.

Good "fat" that is a hormone is cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol from meat, dairy, and eggs is healthy in the right quantities. Unhealthy cholesterol levels occur because the balancing mechanism is broken or because we have too much 'sticky' saturated fat in our system which causes our hormonal system that regulates cholesterol development go out of whack. Having natural food products (eggs from pasture-raised chickens or ducks are lower in cholesterol than organic, free range, or factory farmed eggs; raw milk from goats or cows are lower in cholesterol and more balanced in cholesterol than factory farmed dairy; pasture raised, grass fed, soy and hormone free meats have better cholesterol numbers than other factory farmed versions) in your diet helps balance out your cholesterol system--giving you healthier cholesterol levels.

"bad" fats include trans fats and hydrogenated oils. These rancid and perverted fats are also linked to cholesterol problems and heart disease. the body cannot utilize them and they should be avoided.

In general, i do not recommend cooking with oils, but rather adding oils to the food once it is cooked. this allows you to consume the appropriate fats easily without perverting or harming the fats. Fats with low smoke points are more likely to 'pervert' and therefore become 'useless' to the system if they are cooked. Some oils--such as flax seed oil--should never be heated and may need to be taken in a chilled beverage or soup or independently. Other oils that have high smoke points, such as lard, butter, and coconut oil, are appropriate for cooking if you choose to cook with oil.

While lard and butter have a 'bad rap' based on the cholesterol myths that exist out there, lard and butter are both very healthy fats if taken in moderation. you can cook with them (i would cook with lard, rather than eating it raw or uncooked), and they're probably the best fats to cook with because they can actually get better with cooking as it clarifies both fats (ah, the power of ghee for it's healing processes! ghee is clarified butter, clarified by the process of cooking and removing any curdles or lumps, leaving really great butter to cook with). But, i do not cook with lard, though i do cook with butter occassionally. Generally, i don't cook with anything in the pan at all, except the vegetables or what have you that i'm working with.

For more information about fats and fat-related nutrition, i highly recommend two books: Know Your Fats by Kayla Daniels, PhD and Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill by Udo Erasmus, PhD. You may also like the book Cholesterol Myths, by a male PhD whose last name starts with an R. If you fidn the above two books, you'll likely find the third. I also recommend the information from the Weston A Price foundation--an advocacy organization for 'real food' based on good research about nutrition: http://www.westonaprice.org.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-19 5:52 PM (#53181 - in reply to #52847)

my eyes!!!

ground flaxseed tastes good

Posted 2006-05-19 6:11 PM (#53188 - in reply to #52847)

yup, particularly in steel cut oatmeal with whole, raw cream and a bit of black-strap molasses and some pumpkin or apple pie spice mix.

Posted 2006-05-19 6:15 PM (#53189 - in reply to #53077)

Hey Howdy- When was the last time you went to the dentist? There are lots of causes of bad breath: decay (the bacteria the causes the decay, Strep. mucans, the stomach, plaque and tartar (which is calcified plaque) that causes gingivitis and gum disease.

Be nice to your tongue. Brush it gently and you can use the front side of a spoon to scape it. Sounds to me like you have burned your tongue using Listerine. I know everyone loves that sh*t, but it has such a high alcohol content that it burns the tongue and tissues of the mouth. Many people do not know the company was sued for false claims of replacing flossing by use of rinsing with Listerine. The dentists and hygienists won. They are on my poop list!

The only way to remove plaque is by brushing and flossing. Floss first and then brush. It doesn't matter how hard you brush and floss, it is how long you do it. The best time to floss is at night, thus your mouth will be clean for as many hours you sleep.

Medications and dry mouth (xerostomia) can also give you halotosis. Drinking H2O is great. If you can, and it has been awhile, go and have a thorough examination including an oral cancer screening. We do one for no charge..part of the exam. Sounds like you are on the right path. A good mouth rinse is one with no alcohol or just warm salt water-your gums will love it! Use a soft toothbrush or buy a Sonicare or Braun--I have used both.

Tooth paste- My mouth will peel or slough if I use a tartar control or whitening tp. Those can be an irritant also to soft tissue. I you notice white peelies on you lips or in your mouth, it is due to the tooth paste. Lots of people have an allergie reaction to cinnamin aldehyde or a zinc product used in these pastes. I go for the plan stuff with fluroride-Aim is $.97 and is usually on the bottom shelf-works great!

Hope I have helped somewhat. I love my job cleaning those dirty toothies!
Howdythere
Posted 2006-05-24 8:04 PM (#53773 - in reply to #52847)

namaste you are a Dentist? cool

I think I need additional help. My mouth aroma is getting worse.

Here is my new daily meal breakdown everyday. I do not want anyone to scold me or get upset if I didn't immediately follow your food advice, I am just trying to feel out what I can still keep in my own diet.

Breakfast: - 6 slices of whole wheat bread (2 for my Peanut Butter (1 tbsp) and Jelly (1 tbsp) sandwich, and 2 for a plain jelly (1 tbsp) sandwich and I eat the last 2 plain)

Lunch: - 1 Plain whole wheat bagel (If I can't get a whole wheat bagel, I settle for multi grain)
- 1 Power Bar (The actual name brand power bar, not some generic kind, and the flavors I usually take are the Peanut Butter or Oatmeal Raisin ones)
- A serving of fresh sliced fruits.

Dinner: - Since my last discussion in this topic, I have been eating different meals consisting of vegetables with boiled chicken and rice etc. etc.
- I sometimes munch down on 1 plain Whole Wheat bagel.
- Assorted fruits.

My oral hygiene daily is as follows:

Morning - Brush Teeth (Colgate)
- Scrub tongue using toothbrush and toothpaste (I rarely scrub vigorously)
- Rinse with Listerine for 25-30 seconds.

Night - Brush Teeth (Colgate)
- Scrub tongue using toothbrush and toothpaste (I rarely scrub vigorously)
- Floss
- I flossed with Listerine once, (I never do this at night) because I thought that would help my bad breath, it didn't really help much.

Here is my new mouth situation. A bitter tangy feeling is lining my inside cheeks in the mouth, and I can also feel this bitter tangy feeling in the inside lining of my mouth at various areas like below the teeth. My tongue also has this burn feeling, how do I describe it..hmmm. Well the bitter tangy taste is also on my tongue, and my tongue feels like it was mildly burned or whatnot. When I roam my mouth using my tongue, I can feel a kind of uncleanliness along my teeth and along the general area of my inner mouth. When I let out a deep breath after roaming I can smell this bad breath odor. When I eat etc. the aroma dies down most likely due to the aroma of the food, but it slowly creeps back up.

I have no idea what is going on, and I really want it go go away.

P.S - I heard it was ok to eat something hearty once a week for a meal, like a pizza or some fried chicken etc. to help ease the craving. Is this ok?

Edited by Howdythere 2006-05-24 8:13 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-24 8:27 PM (#53775 - in reply to #52847)

go to the dentist

and then

go to the Doctor

get checked out fella.

use your next paycheck to get some serious health care checkups
Howdythere
Posted 2006-05-24 9:36 PM (#53784 - in reply to #53164)

This burn sensation is not bad at all, it's just a very mild numb type feeling (probably due to the bitter taste).

Edited by Howdythere 2006-05-24 9:38 PM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-25 1:03 AM (#53798 - in reply to #52847)

You're cute, Howdythere.

You can eat "hearty" food if you'd like. Don't deprive yourself.

Are you able to go to a dentist? Please go.

Namaste gives great advice! I knew I didn't like listerne and scope for a reason. They totally burn. For the record, I've given up flossing with the expensive, smooth, gortex -overed floss and I'm moved onto the old fashioned stuff, which is more like string. It feels soooo good. I'm weird.
alamedvav
Posted 2006-07-20 2:24 PM (#59182 - in reply to #52850)

"No milk and tuna?

That cuts off like 46g of my protein

No bread? thats like 16g of protein

Maybe I have to resort to protein supplements if I am to cut down on my big protein pumpers."

Unfortunately, or maybe it is fortunate, that we vegitarians or vegans need to be experts in nutrition. This is because of the constant onslaught of Protein Protein Protein constantly being thrown in our faces. Infants who are growing the fastest they ever will their entire lives, thrive and grow with a very modest leval of 5% protein in mothers milk. ( That is percentage of calories as Protein.) Roger Williams -biochemist and nutrient researcher says that needs among people may vary as much as four fold. He gives ranges from 2.5% to up to 10% at the top.
The main point here is you'd need to starve yourself to death to not get enough protein.
Re: Det for a New America by John Robbins
Deandrade
Posted 2016-07-10 4:57 AM (#219255 - in reply to #52847)

New User

I'm a 33 year old male who has been suffering from depression on and off since I was about 29, however over the past three or so years it has gotten much worse and it has affected how I look after myself.I never really looked after my teeth and even as a kid I had a few taken out, lots of fillings, and my dentist was always telling me to stop eating so many sweets and drinking so many carbonated drinks.
I had braces from when I was 13 - 15 but I didn't look after them properly as I was lazy. I was left with stains when they were taken out even though my teeth were much straighter.It's disgusting but I wouldn't even brush my teeth (or hair) before school some days. I remember the kid sitting next to me in class one day asking if I ever brushed my teeth.Then i contact to Las Vagus Dental Implants and they treat me properly now i am good.
jebac
Posted 2016-10-19 12:11 PM (#223581 - in reply to #52847)
Subject: Re: Need help with my oral hygiene

Hey I think you should go to the dentist,
or try flosing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)