YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga in Dubai (UAE)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

tourist
Posted 2006-09-16 8:00 PM (#64575 - in reply to #64421)
Subject: RE: yoga in Dubai (UAE)

Expert Yogi

Nice to see you too, cerise. I must have been a wondering yogi that day. It seems there is a demand for yoga in Dubai - great!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-01 9:48 AM (#65881 - in reply to #52326)

Hi GraceY, Cerise, Yogafreak and Sivaram,

Sorry, I have just returned to Dubai after the summer and was not intentionally ignoring any posts. Both Azita and Djoeka are back teaching and I'll be starting Ashtanga primary self practice in Safa park this friday if anyone is interested. The next Iyengar workshop is in Nov with Gaberialla from Italy which will be excellent and I think she will be here for a week. When I have the exact details, Ill post them. Cerise, I hope youre enjoying Switzerland, we miss you.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2006-10-01 11:41 AM (#65893 - in reply to #65881)

Expert Yogi

jonnie - I have teachers who studied with Gabriella and the stuff they bring back from her workshops is wonderful One teacher is very fond of her accent and loves to tell us "tail-ah bone IN-ah." If you can imagine that with an Italian accent
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-10-01 1:04 PM (#65906 - in reply to #65881)

Hi,
Thanks Jonathon for the information. I've started working with Azita, thanks to you and Cerise. Are you going to practise in Safa Park in mornings? What time? I am interested if the timing suits me, it's always fun to practise with and meet people who are passionate about yoga. Take care,
Nima
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-01 1:14 PM (#65909 - in reply to #52326)

Hi Tourist and Nima,

Thanks for the tip. Gabriella will be in Dubai on the 9-11 Nov and like you I have heard wonderful things about her. Jawahar Bangera from Mumbai will be back later in the year, If you havent trained with him, I really recommend him.

Nima, i missed you at Azita's yesterday. I'll be there on Mon and wed so hopefully we'll meet there.

Jonathon
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-10-01 1:32 PM (#65910 - in reply to #65909)

Hi Jonathon,
Thanks. I'll be there most probably on Wednesday, so hope to see you then.
Nima
cerise
Posted 2006-10-02 9:37 AM (#65978 - in reply to #65881)

Hi Jonathon,

Nice to read from you. Yes, in Switzerland, I am following the teaching of a great yoga Master who was learning with BKS Iyengar in the 1960s and received the right to teach directly from him. His experience is invaluable, so is his teaching.

The world is small. I followed a teacher’s workshop this Summer and the teacher is a close friend of Azita, from Pune. Please, kindly say hello to Azita from me and I send you my best wishes for harmony, joy and peace in your life.

If you pass by Switzerland, let me know.
Cerise
eileenh
Posted 2006-10-05 2:54 PM (#66366 - in reply to #65881)

Hi jonathan

ashtanga lover from al ain who comes to dubai occasionally yes we are out in the desert but have ashtanga at eh intercontinental hotel 5 times a week 10 a.m. on fridays and saturdasy if any of the dubai people ever come out here.

do you have a t/table for the safa park practices for primary series.

also wondering if everyone knows that the dubai herbal and treatment centre near al wasl hospital has ashtanga classes i haven't been I think teacher is one of teh female ayurvedic doctors.

dr manooj is a great ayurvedic doctor i would like to recommend there also have the ayurvedic masseuse/ massuer Dr manoooj and also does western style medicine trained in rehabilitation, he is hoping to get ayurveda on the insurance list alongwith chinese/ homeopathy which are already part of the system. of course he does his ashtanga practice as well.

i'm interested in any iyengar and ashtanga w/ shops as well.

eileen

eileenh
Posted 2006-10-05 3:01 PM (#66370 - in reply to #65881)

Hi jonathan

ashtanga lover from al ain who comes to dubai occasionally yes we are out in the desert but have ashtanga at eh intercontinental hotel 5 times a week 10 a.m. on fridays and saturdasy if any of the dubai people ever come out here.

do you have a t/table for the safa park practices for primary series.

also wondering if everyone knows that the dubai herbal and treatment centre near al wasl hospital has ashtanga classes i haven't been I think teacher is one of teh female ayurvedic doctors.

dr manooj is a great ayurvedic doctor i would like to recommend there also have the ayurvedic masseuse/ massuer Dr manoooj and also does western style medicine trained in rehabilitation, he is hoping to get ayurveda on the insurance list alongwith chinese/ homeopathy which are already part of the system. of course he does his ashtanga practice as well.

i'm interested in any iyengar and ashtanga w/ shops as well.

eileen

Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-10-06 8:41 AM (#66432 - in reply to #65978)

Hi Jonathan,
The following is Al Habtoor Grand's yoga schedule:
Sun: Ashtanga 19:00-20:15 Sharon
Mon: Ashtanga 09:00-10:30 Sacha & Drop-In Intermediate/Advanced 19:00-20:15 Sacha&Sharon (You can ask them who is teaching this)
Tue: Drop-In Beginner/Intermediate 19:00-20:15 Sacha&Sharon
Wed:Yoga (Course) 09:00-10:30 Sharon (It should be Ashtanga)
& Drop_In Intermediate/Advanced 19:00-20:15 Sacha&Sharon (I think it's Sharon though)

They are also going to add another class on Sat morning.
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-07 4:00 AM (#66529 - in reply to #52326)

Hi eileen,

The Safa park practise is a group of friends and like minded people who are familiar with the primary series and wish to practise together. We have just started meeting again after the summer and the weather is beautiful now. If the demand is there I intend to gradually change it to a mysore style class to introduce non ashtangis to the series. We currently meet on Friday morning at 8.30 am for about 90 mins. There is no charge (expect the entrance fee for the park) and you are more than welcome to join us anytime

The Dubai herbal and treatment centre does offer ashtanga classes, though to my knowledge, this is ashtanga yoga in the Patanjali/raja use of the word as opposed to the ashtanga vinyasa system of Pattabhi Jois. Having said that, I'm sure they are very good.

As you can see from yogafreak's post, Sasha teaches at the Habtoor Grand (by Media city) and is a really excellent teacher.

I used to live in Al Ain (about eight years ago) and have fond memories of practising in the Intercon's gardens with wild parrots flying overhead and views of the Hajjar mountains. Do you practise indoors or outside?

Jonathon

jonnie
Posted 2006-10-07 4:12 AM (#66531 - in reply to #52326)

Gabriella Giubilaro ( http://www.yogawisdom.com ), one of Europe's most senior Iyengar teachers is returning to Dubai on 9-11 November 2006.

This will be a fantastic opportunity to train with a very experienced teacher and meet like minded practitioners from the Middle East. We usually receive students from Lebanon, Iran, Jordan and other countries as well as the U.A.E.

The dates are confirmed and the course fee will be announced soon. It is usually around 500 Dirhams which is donated to local charities, though Djoeke (the organiser) believes that money should be no barrier to the practise of yoga, so those of limited means can contact her directly to arrange alternatives.
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2006-10-19 12:37 PM (#67584 - in reply to #52326)

Hi
Due to injury Sacha is no longer at the Habtoor. My classes are still running Wed/Sun 7pm and after Eid Wed 8.30am. We do Primary Series up to Mari D. My training was with Paul Dallaghan and I also received Siddha training from Siva Das. I also have classes at Emirates golf club and at Arabian Ranches - but we are not quite up for Primary Series at those venues.
Personally, I go to Hugh for yoga. He is fantastic and I have a session with him tomorrow

Jonathon. I hope to make it along to the park sometime - I haven't been since Lisa left. Don't think you were ever there when I made it along last year? Lisa and I managed to sneak in a few when I got back from Oman and before she headed off - it was fabulous!!

I am trying to organise two of my Primary Series teachers to come to Dubai in January. Any help with this would be most welcome. And, Paul is keen to come over - maybe later next year. It would be great if we could gather enough students to make this possible. Let me know what your thoughts are..
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-19 2:31 PM (#67611 - in reply to #52326)

Hi Sharon,

That sounds great. Lets get Ramadan over and meet up for a coffee and discuss it.

Jonathon
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-10-19 11:10 PM (#67622 - in reply to #67584)

Hi Sharon,
I was thinking of texting you the whole week, just didn't make it! Azita didn't have any recent number of Hugh's, and then forgot to gave me the one she had. However, I saw Sacha before I met Azita again, and she told me you had already talked to Hugh. Hope you enjoyed Hugh's class.
Nima
cerise
Posted 2006-10-20 3:53 AM (#67634 - in reply to #52326)

Hi Nima ,

Could you tell me if Hugh is Hugh Breedyk ? If so, is his e-mail still hugh.breedyk@emirates.net.ae ? I would like to write to him. If you have his mobile, please, could you forward it to me ?
I thought he was now in Qatar.
Thank you and have a beautiful day.
Cerise
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-10-20 5:13 PM (#67724 - in reply to #67634)

Hi Cerise,
Yes, he's in Qatar working on a project there. He comes here just every now and then. I think he's here just for the weekend, and perhaps till Eid's holiday. I do not have any contact numbers from him, but I can ask Jonathon or Azita. Are you back in town? Have a pleasant time,
Nima
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2006-10-22 2:05 AM (#67821 - in reply to #67611)

Sounds good Jonathon - I'll look forward to it.
Nima - I learned lots and had a great time thanks.
cerise
Posted 2006-10-22 3:14 AM (#67823 - in reply to #67724)

Thank you, Nima. No, I am not back in Dubai, just working on setting up workshops. Hugh is known to be a very good Iyengar teacher and I wish to contact him. It is great to see that the "yoga scene" is getting vibrant in Dubai.

Hope to meet you one day there !

Best wishes to all of you on the "yoga in Dubai" thread.
Peewee
Posted 2008-11-25 10:09 AM (#112076 - in reply to #67584)

Hi would like to know more about what you teach and where?

thanks!
Peews
thuthu
Posted 2008-12-13 6:34 AM (#112325 - in reply to #67611)

hi i would like to be a part of your yoga programme,please mail me the details.is there anyway to learn the basics of yoga in dubai ? Thanks a lot
cerise
Posted 2008-12-14 2:37 PM (#112343 - in reply to #52326)
Subject: Re: yoga in Dubai (UAE)

Hello Thuthu,
I am currently teaching in Europe. Hence my site and its info would not be of great interest to you in Dubai. Try Mrs Azita Dadfar (Iyengar) should you want to learn the basics and ensure your alignments are checked from the beginning. Should I return to Dubai, I will post it on the forum. Thank you for your interest :-)
jaidabin
Posted 2011-03-15 8:27 AM (#206861 - in reply to #64575)

New User

hi i am from india and i am looking for sme clint i did 15 years iyengar yoga and good at medical would i cm to help u pls let me know
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)