YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help with pms (diet, etc...)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

seoulyogi
Posted 2006-05-07 1:30 AM (#51558)
Subject: help with pms (diet, etc...)

hi,

i've been having especially bad cramps and moodiness due to pms. does anyone know about what kinds of foods are good to eat (or to avoid) during the month to help ease the symptoms?

also, are there any other things people try, such as herbal teas, etc...?

and finally, are there any yoga poses that are recommended and helpful during that time?

thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-07 9:56 AM (#51579 - in reply to #51558)
Subject: RE: help with pms (diet, etc...)

Personally, I think most Yoga is excellent for PMS symptoms. I especially like Iyengar Yoga for pain associated with periods, like cramps and low back pain.

The application of heat to the part of your body that feels crampy is a good idea. Drink warm or hot drinks and stay away from cold things - ice cream, iced drinks, Antartica, sushi (which is uncooked and cold by nature), too much juice (again, uncooked [raw] food with a high sugar content).

Massage is good, too, if you can stand being touched during/around your period.

Best of luck!

Posted 2006-05-08 7:22 AM (#51655 - in reply to #51558)

there are lots of different foods to avoid--or that one could avoid--but it actually turns out that everyone is different.

to determine what you may need to avoid or include, i highly recommend trying fertility charting (gardenoffertility.com). with this method, you can journal your fertility cycle and food journal to see which foods affect your cycle and PMS more than others and then avoid or use those foods as your experiments dictate.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-08 8:23 AM (#51659 - in reply to #51558)

For moodiness part, listen to very good soothing music (assuming you are one who likes calming music) and go to rest. Also, practice meditation. Do NOT bother others with your moodiness.

For cramps, you do NOT need any special diet. You need to eat good food at other times than pms and do sufficient exercise at other times than Pms. And, then take lot of rest during pms with least food and least exercise.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-05-08 9:02 AM (#51663 - in reply to #51659)

In the last few years, I've come to realise that a lot of my pre-menstrual depression was linked to diet. If I manage to predict accurately, then upping my intake of starchy foods the week before and reducing proteins and upping veggies/fruit the week afterward really seems to help reduce the severity. Of course everyone's different so I'd suggest keeping a food/symptom diary for three cycles before doing any modifications first and then taking a good look to see if there are any correlations to guide you?

As for the cramping.... yes, resting and heat can help, but I also found that hard physical activity (spring cleaning the kitchen cupboards is good as you get something for the effort ) worked too. It's the levels of activity in between which seem hardest to cope with (e.g. sat at a desk all day).

If you find water rentention a problem, there are a number of herbal teas available specifically blended to assist in getting rid of the excess. Alternatively, eating raw celery is also good.

I think you may find that the moodiness diminishes of itself once you feel more physically comfortable?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-05-08 9:10 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-08 9:54 AM (#51677 - in reply to #51558)

Neel is funny.

He's the only man to reply to 'help with pms' and he tells you not to bother other people with your moodiness.

Neel is all about self-control. That's all I can say about that.

Pick and choose what advice suits you

Good luck ~ fifi

P.S. You can bother us women if you want
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-08 10:36 AM (#51683 - in reply to #51558)

When I say bother, I did not mean bothering on the Bulletin Board. I meant the ones around you at the time of pms!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-08 11:30 AM (#51690 - in reply to #51683)

Expert Yogi

There is a Chinese Formula that I use during these times of the month. It is called Xiao Yao Wan. This formula is used to overcome liver-caused stress, it relaxes the nerves, soothes emotions, detoxifies poisons (bupleurum, peony, licorice and peppermint), improves circulation (ginger and dang gui) , builds the blood (dang gui and peony root), strengthens digestion and reduces hypoglycemia (atractylodes) , increase qi (licorice and atractylodes), and calms the mind (poria cocos and peppermint).

The main ingredient in this formula is Bupleurum. These pills are also known as Bupleurum Sedative Pills or Free and Easy Wonderer. Bupleurum is a specific remedy for liver stagnancy, heat, and wind conditions. As it regulates the total liver complex of emotional and physical imbalances, it relaxes stressed body tissues while harmonizing the often angry, discordant liver emotions. Bupleurum directs energy higher in the body, and therefore treats organ prolapse as well as mental depression.

The reason I posted this is because, this is the only Chinese Formula that I know of that is very good and safe for women to take on a daily basis. Especially when you are having PMS related symptoms. All my TCMD's have recommended this formula for years and it is a formula that does not interfere with a woman's cycle and can be taken during the cycle as well as before. It's always best to get a good diagnosis before you start taking something like this, but I thought I'd post this anyway just to give you the idea of a good natural alternative. Good luck.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-08 2:21 PM (#51702 - in reply to #51558)

Oh Neel ~

I know what you meant and you're still funny! In a good way! You are a person with a lot of discipline and self-control. That's obvious to those of us who've had the good fortune to read your posts on yoga.com.

I think your philosophy of 'do not share your moodiness with others' is apart of your Authentic Yoga experience and training, which is more like a way of life. Your input in invaluable and I hope I didn't undermind your efforts with seoulyogi.

Sometimes women just say things that sound like complaining to men. Perhaps the filters that women have in dialogue make it easier for other women to discuss personal things. I don't know; am I starting to sound like Oprah? (And don't tell me you don't know who Oprah is! )

Peas to you ~ fifi
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-08 2:22 PM (#51703 - in reply to #51558)

Cyndi, that's a great formula for PMS and for plain old M. That's all I can say about that.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-08 2:48 PM (#51707 - in reply to #51558)

fifi:I think your philosophy of 'do not share your moodiness with others' is apart of your Authentic Yoga experience and training, which is more like a way of life. Your input in invaluable and I hope I didn't undermind your efforts with seoulyogi.

Sometimes women just say things that sound like complaining to men. Perhaps the filters that women have in dialogue make it easier for other women to discuss personal things. I don't know; am I starting to sound like Oprah?

===> No, no, no. You did not undermine me. On the other hand, now I feel that I undermined the Women's personal discussion with other women. I apologize. But, then that should have another Thread such as Women To Women or WomenForWomen or WTW, WFW etc. Are you sounding like John Gray?

Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-08 3:32 PM (#51717 - in reply to #51707)

Expert Yogi

NB, it's always fun having your imput...even with women's issues. Sometimes it is really nice to have a *neutral* kind of person around when women get together with their PMS. I think I'd like to have NB in our group...he could definitely settle things down for us...and having that male energy to balance things out is always nice. I think it would be good to have BB here too, but I think we scared him the last time this discussion came up,
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-08 3:55 PM (#51725 - in reply to #51558)

Yes, we definitely need some Yang to balance our Yin.

Don't leave, Neel....!
tourist
Posted 2006-05-08 6:59 PM (#51762 - in reply to #51725)
Subject: RE: help with pms (diet, etc..

Expert Yogi

Sometimes it is good for me to hear what women typically only say to other women. I also am having a nasty few days this month, pain wise, yet emotionally I am pretty ok. Funny how that goes... But I didn't take any starch (crackers etc.) for my lunch today and although I had plenty of good home made soup and stuff to eat, including a small but satisfying chunk of good chocolate, I was climbing the walls until I got home and got a bit of starch going... Gotta get going to class now and I really, really don't want to go!
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-08 7:16 PM (#51764 - in reply to #51558)

My horoscope told me to eat chocolate today. Are we all having our period at the same time? How funny!

Seems like the classes we really, really don't want to go to are usually the best.

Good luck this week girls!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-08 7:38 PM (#51765 - in reply to #51764)

Expert Yogi

I gotta tell you guys this. One of the things that has really reduced my PMS symptoms is by me not eating at oriental restaurants and MSG anymore. Last September I quit "cold-turkey" (I love that phrase ) eating at places that even claimed they didn't use MSG. Before doing this, no matter what they claimed, I still ended up with headaches. This has really been an interesting thing to watch. In fact, I noticed the pattern of several years ago prior, when I NEVER ate out and was very selective by eating only what my Chinese Chef cooked for me. Unfortunately, I moved away several years ago and relied on other restaurants to feed me and I started travelling more causing me to eat out more. This went on for about 4 years, with me putting a halt to it period, last September. So, you might want to do some investigating yourself. The headaches were part of it, so was having extreme symptoms of PMS too.
seoulyogi
Posted 2006-05-08 9:01 PM (#51772 - in reply to #51765)

wow,

thank you everyone for the advice. i knew you would all have good ideas to try... for me, the cramps are also the worst of the two. (the moodiness is bad for my boyfriend )

no seriously, i will try some of these ideas.
the only things i knew for sure before were to avoid sugar and caffine, but i try to do that anyway. i really want to avoid the otc drugs i usually rely on, like ibuprofen. in the past, i always give in and end up taking it.

anna c
Posted 2006-08-04 7:30 AM (#60982 - in reply to #51558)

i won't go to oriental restaurants anymore either, it's been too often that i came home totally wiped out and floored with fatigue and headache taht lasted for over 24 hours, no idea whetehr it's from glutamate or from sugar or from both

As for PMS, what I found efficent is the following:
omega 3 caps (or line seed oil) against the moodiness,
and magnesium tabs against the cramps.
Start taking them 5 days in advance.
i found this on dr. andrew weil's website.
i won't say that you won't notice anything anymore, but in my experience it does make a HUGE difference.

also, i've told my boyfriend i'd rather not see him the two days before my periods start. i do not want our relationship to be affected by my PMS. i prefer to spend quality time with him.

in ancient tribes it was customary for women having their periods to withdraw together in a hut or so for a few days, and i think that was a good custom. so i try to make my version of that custom, and when PMS kicks in i go to the sauna, and afterwards i lock myself up in my bedroom with a few good movies and good books, or go out with my girlfriends and whine to them...

Edited by anna c 2006-08-04 7:40 AM
Miabella704
Posted 2006-08-05 3:46 PM (#61104 - in reply to #51659)

kulkarnn - 2006-05-08 8:23 AM

For moodiness part, listen to very good soothing music (assuming you are one who likes calming music) and go to rest. Also, practice meditation. Do NOT bother others with your moodiness.

For cramps, you do NOT need any special diet. You need to eat good food at other times than pms and do sufficient exercise at other times than Pms. And, then take lot of rest during pms with least food and least exercise.

Oh boy. Brother Neel, in all his wisdom, just wandered into territory NO man should wander into. LOL
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-06 3:07 PM (#61149 - in reply to #51558)

I was told by my nutritionist and chiropractor that cleansing the liver is crucial for PMS. It helps dump some of the excess hormones in your system. There is a product I used to use called LIV-Herbal. It is a tincture that I put into water. I start it after ovulation and continue until my period. I can't remember exactly, at this moment, what the herbs are... but I'll get back to you on that. I no longer use the product because I am working on getting pregnant. Well, not trying, but not "not" trying either. The herbs in this are harmful if pregnant- and can actually induce a period.. so I don't wanna do anything that might harm a little egg.
BUT, prior to all of that, I used it regularly and it was awesome! I noticed a marked difference in my emotional and physical PMS.
Satu
Posted 2006-08-15 2:24 PM (#61768 - in reply to #51558)

I've had horrible PMS symptoms for years. When I started taking 3000g of Omega-3 every day, I felt a hundred times better.
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-02 9:29 AM (#63471 - in reply to #51690)

Cyndi - 2006-05-08 11:30 AM

There is a Chinese Formula that I use during these times of the month. It is called Xiao Yao Wan. This formula is used to overcome liver-caused stress, it relaxes the nerves, soothes emotions, detoxifies poisons (bupleurum, peony, licorice and peppermint), improves circulation (ginger and dang gui) , builds the blood (dang gui and peony root), strengthens digestion and reduces hypoglycemia (atractylodes) , increase qi (licorice and atractylodes), and calms the mind (poria cocos and peppermint).

The main ingredient in this formula is Bupleurum. These pills are also known as Bupleurum Sedative Pills or Free and Easy Wonderer. Bupleurum is a specific remedy for liver stagnancy, heat, and wind conditions. As it regulates the total liver complex of emotional and physical imbalances, it relaxes stressed body tissues while harmonizing the often angry, discordant liver emotions. Bupleurum directs energy higher in the body, and therefore treats organ prolapse as well as mental depression.

The reason I posted this is because, this is the only Chinese Formula that I know of that is very good and safe for women to take on a daily basis. Especially when you are having PMS related symptoms. All my TCMD's have recommended this formula for years and it is a formula that does not interfere with a woman's cycle and can be taken during the cycle as well as before. It's always best to get a good diagnosis before you start taking something like this, but I thought I'd post this anyway just to give you the idea of a good natural alternative. Good luck.

I'm very intrigued by this Chinese formula you mention. Can you get hold of it at a Chinese dispense pharmacy or do you have to visit a TCM doctor in order for them to assess you first and then see if it 'right' for you?

sb
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-02 10:47 AM (#63475 - in reply to #63471)

Expert Yogi

SB,

That formula is a very common one for women. Once I asked my doctor about this formula and he said you could take it long term. However, me personally, I would find a TCMD to make a clear diagnosis of my body, get familiar with taking herbal forumals and have a little training on their application before I would take anything. Basically this formula is sold over the counter, although, I prefer to use higher quality herbal formulas which is probably more crucial than this particular formula.

The reason I posted this information was to give you an idea of what is available and why. Most people do not have a good foundation of how the human body works, much less a clue about why taking certain herbs and their formulas can benefit these organs. I see so many women suffer from PMS and related symptoms. Unfortunately western medicine doesn't really know how to address these issues. My experience with other types of Holistic procedures have been pretty lame as well. TCM is what I consider a complete medicine. But if your looking for a quick fix and/or expect results without changing your lifestyle, environment and eating habits, TCM may not be for you...it's kinda like yoga, its not for everybody, you have to do some work too. The doctor provides you the method (i.e. acupuncture, herbs) for your body to heal itself - naturally.
Although, I've heard some say with my TCMD that he performs miracles....I've had my miracle moments too, His acupuncture methods are incredible. Most of the time I really don't need herbs...whereas some TCMD have a different approach using more herbs than acupuncture - which I've also experienced. I really prefer acupuncture...even though I have to admit it can hurt like hell sometimes...but its a good hurt, releasing all that stagnated energy, opening up those meridian channels and balancing all the internal organs...all in an hour's session,
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-09-02 4:41 PM (#63484 - in reply to #51558)

Cyndi,

I hear what ya saying. The medication I asked you about are probably like vitamins in a way but if you want something complete, it is best to see a qualified TCMD who will can take a history of your health and prescribe a more 'personal' formula tailored for you, your body and your specific ailments. Your TCMD sounds like he does a good job - I think I need to make an appointment with him/her!!
It is obvious that you follow TCM and are quite a firm believer in its ability to heal the body and mind. Are you interested in Ayervedic healing methods at all? If so, do you find that they clash with your TCM preferences? I am currently in the process of educating myself about the two so please bear with me!

sb
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-02 6:03 PM (#63490 - in reply to #63484)

Expert Yogi

SB,

You'll have to visit the states to see my TCMD. I'd be happy to introduce him to you.

Actually, I studied Ayurveda before TCM and have continued my studies with it thereafter. I prefer to use Ayurveda methods in how I eat and prepare my food...although, that is not correct all the time, because I do alot of oriental cooking as well. I use Indian spices when I cook and frankly, they are very potent and what I consider protective and balancing. For instance, I use alot of Saffron when I make rice dishes. I also use cumin, coriander, garam masala, curry and methi powder (although, I cannot stand the way this one smells the kitchen up). I think having knowledge in both TCM and Ayurveda is valuable and sometimes very complimentary. It's interesting, my husband being from Nepal and having an Ayurvedic background with his culture and the things he learned from his parents and grandparents, are very much similar to Traditional Chinese Methods. In fact, sometimes I'll bring home bags of herbs to cook. My husband will sift through them and usually identify's more than half of them, explaining how they use them in their culture and medicine.

So, needless to say its all very interesting. I do however prefer TCM because it is something that I've studied in depth about and have had several Doctors and Chinese friends sit down and spend the time teaching me the things I needed to know to take care of my family on a daily basis, handle minor emergencies and dispensing herbs when needed for most minor ails...at least until I can get a clearer diagnosis. In China, traditionally, this knowledge was passed on from generations within the family. Today we have TCMD's. Although, I'm sure there are still some traditional families left in the countryside...but that is changing at a rapid rate. TCM is a wonderful and accurate medicine with accurate results. So far I'm usually over 80% accurate, sometimes 100%.....which is satisfactory to me. I don't play around and if in doubt...I always ask. I really don't keep any "dangerous" herbs in my herbal cabinet and if I take something by mistake, it doesn't take too long to figure it out. In the early days, that was a different story. My TCMD is only a phone call away. Since I have a strong foundation with TCM, it is easy for me to communicate with my doctor and get clear directions. The fact that I see my TCMD on a bi-weekly basis also helps, because your're not so out of whack and its easier to maintain the balance...whereas someone who maybe goes once a month or every 2 months, and at the same time, lives an unhealthy lifestyle and is in a harsh environment. Not that it is wrong or right...sometimes that is just the life, their life, and it doesn't matter.

I'll tell you a funny story. It wasn't funny back then to me, but now it is. Several years ago, my other TCMD was training me on how to use cupping. So, I purchased a set from China. I was doing very well with treating myself at home and in-between visits. In fact, really well. I knew exactly which points to place the cups on and I treated everyone in my family. Well, one night I had my husband (ex husband now) place the cups on me. I fell asleep, and so did he!! I woke up over an hour later and had blisters on some of the places where the cups were. I was terrified. I called my doctor the next day and told her what happened and what do I do. I freaked out because I told her that I could not go to a western medical doctor and explain what happened. (these blisters were pretty ugly). I was so new to this and she told me to come to her house and she would treat me there. I went and we used a Chinese herb and fixed me all up. God, I was so dreading having to explain to a western md what happened. I could just hear them say all the negative things about chinese medicine and quackery etc, etc. I just didn't want to hear it - period. So, lessons learned, TCM Cupping 101,

As for TCM healing the mind. I don't believe it in that sense, partly. What I do believe is that a healthy balanced body is more able to deal with life, deal with themselves and be more internal within themselves. Therefore, by living a healthier lifestyle and having balance...the mind automatically balances naturally. It is much easier to train the mind when the body is healthy. Of course, there is lots of work in that department because most of us have been raised in environments and a society that does not support and nurture our common needs in order to have that kind of sense of well being. Later on after we learn these things about ourselves and gain the knowledge and wisdom to maintain ourselves properly, we learn that the mind and body is very much connected, is part of an intricate system that functions and must work together along with our spiritual needs as well. It's so simple. Unfortunately for some it is not because they still complicate it with so many unnecessary things. I like the analogy of Maya. The world is an illusion, the truth is here, it always has been, but because of all these illusions we've conjured up, some of our own doing and some that have been forced upon us for so many thousands of years, we have become so disconnected withourselves. Some of us are trying to find our way back home. This is where true healing begins.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)