YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

to explore or not
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Phoenix
Posted 2006-05-06 11:09 PM (#51547)
Subject: to explore or not

I have been practicing Yoga off and on for about four years and consistantly in the last year. My practice and the class I attend is Iyengar however I have recently been considering the exploration of Ashtanga yoga. I am mostly interested out of curiosity and I am drawn to the flowing motions. I don't want anything to interfere with the current path I am on. Is it possible to practice two types of yoga and have them compliment eachother or is it more likely to keep one from moving forward on their path? I would especially like to hear from any long term Iyengar students and or teachers. I love my practice and I feel my progress on both a physical and spiritual level weekly if not daily but I can't help but wonder about other forms...well mostly just ashtanga. I appreciate your input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-06 11:38 PM (#51555 - in reply to #51547)
Subject: RE: to explore or not

Dear Phoenix: Your question is wrong. Iyengar and Ashtanga Yoga are NOT two types of Yoga. They are two types of style of practice and instruction of ONLY one type of Yoga called Hathayoga (mainly). In Ashatnaga, you do more flows, you need extremely athletic and flexiible background. Otherwise, it is USELESS to do for ordinary student. In Iyengar style beginner to Advanced level students can perform at their level and the poses are more aligned. Thus in Iyengar apprach, you get more therapeutic or health benefits, in Ashtanga you get more aerobic, and fitness. However, you can get some additional benefits related to flow and advanced workout in a shorter period in Ashtanga approach, but that applies only if you are prequalified. To make a proper statement, 80 percent of current Ashtanga students including world famous ones are not even prequalified to do it.

Of course, since Yoga is a divine exercise, you will get some benefit from any approach you take.

There is NO harm in your trying both approaches or any additional approaches. But, whether one shall obstruct the progress of the other, depends on your focussing level and prequalification in any particular approach.. So, you shall experinece it within a period of 2 months of regualr practice with multiple approach.

Finally, there are some yoga exercise students who can excel in both approaches. There are others who excel in one and do NOT in another. And, vice a versa.

And, I can guarantee you with all humility, (and while informing you that I am NOT an Iyengar certified teacher), that if you are practicing Iyengar style Yogasana practice correctly and sufficiently, there is NOTHING additional you will gain from Ashtanga style Yogasana practice in terms of Yogasana benefits. But, that does not mean you should not do other things.

Best Luck
seoulyogi
Posted 2006-05-07 1:20 AM (#51557 - in reply to #51547)
Subject: RE: to explore or not

i'm relatively new to the practice, but i started with ashtanga and have very recently started to incorporate iyengar. i started the thread iyengar or ashtanga on the ashtanga forum. people were great at giving advice when i was wondering something similar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)