YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dualism, Deities, and Ishwara
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-27 11:05 AM (#50561)
Subject: Dualism, Deities, and Ishwara

Expert Yogi

I'm back to wondering about dualism and non-dualism, particularly as it applies to deities and Ishwara pranidhanani.

The non-dualist dualist outlook would place divinity in brahman -- the absolute reality, from which we are separated by avidya. As I understand it, however, advaita vedanta does not deny the pragmatic reality of the world we ordinarily experience. With the removal of avidya, we can attain the consciousness of our oneness with brahman.

In this sense, attachment to a deity is then an element of our ordinary experience, and something that may help us to remove avidya.  Patanjali's ashtanga yoga is a path to the removal of avidya. Ishwara pranidhanani can be a part of that path. The goal, Nirbija Samadhi, however, appears to be a non-dual state.

On the other hand, one could take the concept of Ishwara pranidhanani as evidence of dualism in Patanjali yoga. I've mentioned before the Taimni commentary, which is unambiguious dualistic in discussing this question.... I gather than Shankaracharya did not comment on the Yoga Sutras.

Any thoughts on this?

.... bg

Edited by Bay Guy 2006-04-27 11:08 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-27 11:36 AM (#50563 - in reply to #50561)
Subject: RE: Dualism, Deities, and Ishwara

Dear BG: Since I had to take up computer work to support myself, I am not able to give much time. But, in short:

a) Ishwarpranidhan in Patanjali means tad japas tadarthabhavanam. This means accepting OM as a tangible representation of Ishwara, one has to repeat it. All other forms of worship are NOT included in Patanjali, however they might serve similar purpose, but they ultimately merge into OM.

b) Ishwarapranidhan in the initial stages may be started with gross object. But then it becomes more and more subtle. For example, the physical image of Shree Ganesha (your avatar!) used for meditation later comes in a thought form, and so on. Ultimately that subtlty becomes close to the first manifestation of prakriti. suukshmavishayatvam cha alinga paryavasanam. taa eva sabeejassamadhi. And, that is the sabijja samadhi. During this attainment, one gets ritambhara prajna. And, when when knowledge obtained through such a prajna is also surpassed one goes into nirbija samadhi.

c) It is a mistake to start to comment on Patanjali with Dualism in mind. And, all other questions or problems later arise with mixing non dual part in it?

d) The commentary on Patanjali by Vyasa is NOT that of Veda Vyasa who wrote Brahmasutras. And, the ShankarVivaran is NOT that of Adi Shankaracharya who wrote commentary on Brahmasutras.

namaste.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-27 11:39 AM (#50564 - in reply to #50561)

Oops to add: Deity is NOT Ishwara. Rather Deity is one form of Ishwara. So, when Deity is worshipped in the initial stages, it is a Deity. In the final stages it becomes Ishwara.

whatever deity you worship, you are worshipping me only. and, if you worship deity for material gains, I shall bestow them to you. if you wish spiritual liberation, i shall take you to me. ... Lord Krishna in ShrimadBhagavadgita
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-27 8:02 PM (#50604 - in reply to #50564)

Expert Yogi

Dear Neel,

Thanks for the reply.  So, with deities out of the way, the essence of my question remains: is Ishwara always separate, even after the final stages?  Or, to follow your quote from the ShrimadBhagavadgita, when one reaches spiritual liberation, is Krshna still distinct from oneself?

You mentioned that it was a mistake to approach Patanjali yoga from the perspective of non-dualism; but if one believes firmly in non-dualism -- and the practice of yoga -- then the question must be resolved.

I have read various commentaries on this point, and some take the non-dual stance on YS I:23 to I:29, while others take the dualist viewpoint. My sense is that there are several schools of thought, at least so far as modern commentaries are concerned.  That is why I wondered about Adi Shankaracharya's work, or that of other early exponents of advaita vedanta. 

... bg

PS: I agree with your sentiments about work interfering with more important thoughts.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-04-27 9:18 PM (#50611 - in reply to #50604)

Expert Yogi

Hey BG....about Ishwara??

Esha sarveshwara esha sarvajna esho'ntaryaamyesha yonih sarvasya prabhaavaapyayau hi bhootaanaam.

This is the Lord of all. This is all-knowing. This is the Inner Ruler. This is the cause of all. Verily this is the origin and the end of all being.

Mandukyopanishad 6

Brahman (the absolute self) qualified by Maya (Cosmic Illusion) is Ishwara (God - the Creator). Ishwara is the ruler of Maya, and not deluded by it. Jiva (individual soul) is Brahman qualified by avidya (ignorance) and is the creator of jiva-srishti (mental creation) in which it is trapped. Jiva is under the control of avidya. When freed, jiva becomes an enlightened soul (jivanmukta), and realizes, "I am Brahman."

Isn't that beautiful!! It's one of my favorite translations. Thought I'd share it with you. Take care,
GreenJello
Posted 2006-04-27 10:23 PM (#50618 - in reply to #50561)
Subject: RE: Dualism, Deities, and Ishw

That's beautiful Cyndi, thanks for sharing!
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-04-27 10:49 PM (#50623 - in reply to #50561)

This might be little bit out of context...I blogged a small post about Advaita at:
http://www.bipinjoshi.com/displaythread.aspx?forumid=14&threadid=61
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-27 11:16 PM (#50625 - in reply to #50561)

BG wrote and comments are with ===>: Dear Neel, Thanks for the reply.  So, with deities out of the way, the essence of my question remains: is Ishwara always separate, even after the final stages?  Or, to follow your quote from the ShrimadBhagavadgita, when one reaches spiritual liberation, is Krshna still distinct from oneself?
===> No the real Ishwara, that is Krishna in the fullest, is the one who exist always untainted by the changes in the prakriti. But, it also pervades the entire prakriti which contains Body+Mind of a human being. The spirit in the Human Being is as if it were an Image of Ishwara. This is called Atman. During the Yoga Practice, or Spiritual Quest, one reaches Nirbija Samadhi. Nirbija samadhi is a result and not a work. On first attaining Nirbija samadhi, one realizes self that is Atman. Later when it is matured one realizes it is the Ishwara, or Krishna who has become all this including Self and Prakriti. The quality or special power of Ishwara to exhibit in the form of Prakriti is called Maya, which deludes the jiva, that is actually the mind of the being. In the Self Realization and of course during the Ishwara Realization or Krishna merger, there is NO question of being distinct, etc.

You mentioned that it was a mistake to approach Patanjali yoga from the perspective of non-dualism; but if one believes firmly in non-dualism -- and the practice of yoga -- then the question must be resolved.
===> No, I mentioned, it was a mistake to approach it from the Dualism. First appraching it from dualism and then mixing NON Dualism creates more problems.

I have read various commentaries on this point, and some take the non-dual stance on YS I:23 to I:29, while others take the dualist viewpoint. My sense is that there are several schools of thought, at least so far as modern commentaries are concerned.  That is why I wondered about Adi Shankaracharya's work, or that of other early exponents of advaita vedanta. 
===> Yes, some very great scholars have tried to explain it from dualistic point of view. The reasons for this is misunderstanding of similarities between Samkhya and Yoga phiolosophies. However, this dualistic apprach defeats the purpose of Yoga Science which is kaivalyam, that is merger into Non-Dualism or Advaita. Yes, Adi Shankara did not comment on Patanjali directly.
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-04-27 11:49 PM (#50629 - in reply to #50625)

Neel,
Some scholers believe that Adi Shankaracharya's Guru (Govindapada) was no one else but Patanjali. He waited for years for Shankara to arrive and initiated in Yoga. Any thoughts on this?
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-28 8:38 AM (#50654 - in reply to #50561)

Hey Bipin: I shall be in Pune from 15 July till end of August. Also, I might plan a short trip to Gangotri, if you wish to join. Anyway, I can guarantee you that Patanjali and Shree Govindapada are NOT same. Shree Patanjali's time frame is 300 b.c. and that of Adi S is 700 A.D. Also, Adi S was so erudite and clear that he shall mention if such a thing existed. And, Adi Shankara took only 2 years or so to master Yoga Science. In fact, in case of Adi S, he did not need much or any Yoga practice. He was an incarnation. Most of his work was at Advaita Vedanta level and his greatest work is commentary on Brahmasutra.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-28 3:18 PM (#50682 - in reply to #50625)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-04-27 11:16 PM In the Self Realization and of course during the Ishwara Realization or Krishna merger, there is NO question of being distinct, etc.

Yes, some very great scholars have tried to explain it from dualistic point of view. The reasons for this is misunderstanding of similarities between Samkhya and Yoga phiolosophies. However, this dualistic apprach defeats the purpose of Yoga Science which is kaivalyam, that is merger into Non-Dualism or Advaita.

Thanks, Neel. This seems more to the point.

BTW --- Vyasa's commentary on the Yoga Sutra was from a non-dual perspective?

.... bg 

bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-04-28 10:23 PM (#50715 - in reply to #50654)

Hi Neel,
Thanks for that. I guess because of this huge time dufference the story of "waited for years" might have got added. Yes, I have read some texts of Adi Shankaracharya such as Tatwa Bodha, Atma Bodha, Vivekachudamani and also the Brahmasutra.

P.S. I will try calling you when you are here at the no. you gave me. I would have loved to meet you in person but my training and consulting schedules are very occupied so may not be able to do so.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-28 10:52 PM (#50717 - in reply to #50561)

bg: BTW --- Vyasa's commentary on the Yoga Sutra was from a non-dual perspective? .... bg 

===> No. The Vyasa who wrote the Patanjali commentary is not VedaVyasa, and his commentary is NOT non dualistic.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-30 10:02 PM (#50827 - in reply to #50611)

Expert Yogi

Brahman (the absolute self) qualified by Maya (Cosmic Illusion) is Ishwara (God - the Creator). Ishwara is the ruler of Maya, and not deluded by it. Jiva (individual soul) is Brahman qualified by avidya (ignorance) and is the creator of jiva-srishti (mental creation) in which it is trapped. Jiva is under the control of avidya. When freed, jiva becomes an enlightened soul (jivanmukta), and realizes, "I am Brahman."

Really enjoyed that passage, Cyndi. .... bg

Bay Guy
Posted 2006-04-30 10:03 PM (#50828 - in reply to #50717)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-04-28 10:52 PM bg: BTW --- Vyasa's commentary on the Yoga Sutra was from a non-dual perspective? .... bg  ===> No. The Vyasa who wrote the Patanjali commentary is not VedaVyasa, and his commentary is NOT non dualistic.

When did the Yoga Sutra first acquire a non-dual interpretation  -- or was it always non-dual?

....bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-30 10:49 PM (#50838 - in reply to #50561)

bg: Brahman (the absolute self) qualified by Maya (Cosmic Illusion) is Ishwara (God - the Creator). Ishwara is the ruler of Maya, and not deluded by it. Jiva (individual soul) is Brahman qualified by avidya (ignorance) and is the creator of jiva-srishti (mental creation) in which it is trapped. Jiva is under the control of avidya. When freed, jiva becomes an enlightened soul (jivanmukta), and realizes, "I am Brahman." Really enjoyed that passage, Cyndi. .... bg

When did the Yoga Sutra first acquire a non-dual interpretation  -- or was it always non-dual?....bg

===> When freed from avidya, jiva becomes enlightened, and realizes the individual soul. At this point there is only self realization. Later, the past karma is exhausted, and then there is a realization that everything is brahman. aadau atmaa, tatparm khalwidam braham. After this, there is a remaining life of the individual before the body is left. This person is called jivanmukta, means he/she is liberated while in living in body stage. After the body is left, he/she is not born again. Also, those who are born for helping others, that is incarnations, are already liberated. They are called nityamuktas.

===> Patanjali Yogasutras are a practical methodology of obtaining the truths of Vedas which are NON dual. Therefore, it has always been NON Dual. The proponents of dualism interpreted them as dual because a) Patanjali yoga sutras are the most standard text on Yoga Philosophy, so it must be respected and adhered to b) they also want to propagate dualism.

===> However, non dualism already accepts dualism as true, but not the final truth. Therefore, there is no problem.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-05-03 10:01 PM (#51173 - in reply to #50838)

Expert Yogi

Dear Neel --

It is really quite interesting that dualism is simply a preliminary step toward non-dualism. This suggests to me that dualistic thinkers have gotten stuck along the way.

In fact, I have found concepts of dualism (Ishwara pranidhanani) much easier to accept after having adopted a non-dual understanding of the deities, and of Ishwara. For me, non-dualism has eliminated the barrier to belief, and devotion, that I always found in dualism.

... bg

Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-03 10:18 PM (#51176 - in reply to #51173)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2006-05-03 10:01 PM

Dear Neel --

It is really quite interesting that dualism is simply a preliminary step toward non-dualism. This suggests to me that dualistic thinkers have gotten stuck along the way.

In fact, I have found concepts of dualism (Ishwara pranidhanani) much easier to accept after having adopted a non-dual understanding of the deities, and of Ishwara. For me, non-dualism has eliminated the barrier to belief, and devotion, that I always found in dualism.

... bg

Good Evening BG,

I have this same feeling as well...although, my observations have been with Christianity's stance with their God in the sky and heavens concept. It's interesting, I have seen some Indians pray the same way to the dieties...although, I am quite sure they have the understanding that goes along with it, whereas Christians take it literally and seperate themselves from God period. Although, I truly wonder sometimes. Sometimes I think people seperate themselves so they can live out their karmas without having a guilty conscience (which is basically another way of saying they were unconscious sp??) and where to place the blame if anything goes awry...like that saying, "it was God's will" or "the devil made me do it" or "in the name of God" I never liked these at all.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-03 10:46 PM (#51181 - in reply to #50561)

Dear BG: You are correct. Certain dualistic followers do get stuck on the way. And, that is why there were genuine debates (called as vaada in Sanskrit, not quarrel, but Philosophical debate) between the advaitavadins and dvaitavadins. And, without doubt, Adi Shankaracharya has won amongst all of them establishing the final truth in Advaita while still proving Dvaita as a valid step before. However, what is ironical is that in India, you shall find (as Cyndiben observed) that dvaitavadins (dualists) praying to different deities, even in one single temple (as you must have witnessed yourself in South India), go along very happily with each other, accepting that all their deities ultimately point to the same God. What they do not realize is: If Deity 1 with Form 1 and Deity 2 with Form 2 and Deity 3 with Form 3, and Deity 1million with Form 1million all point to the same God, that God has to be without form. And, that is the NonDualism or Advaita. (I bow down to Adi Shankara thousand times, for my being able to explain it like this to you!)

Dear Cyndiben: What you wrote about people using God's Will for misfortune has to do with the fact that a common (less Spiritual) person has habit of a) taking credit for all that goes good and b) blaming the bad things on Fate which is called as God's will. This does not have much to do with Dvaita and Advaita.

Peace
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-04 10:12 AM (#51236 - in reply to #51181)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-05-03 10:46 PM

Dear Cyndiben: What you wrote about people using God's Will for misfortune has to do with the fact that a common (less Spiritual) person has habit of a) taking credit for all that goes good and b) blaming the bad things on Fate which is called as God's will. This does not have much to do with Dvaita and Advaita.

Yes, I know that NB. I was just making an observation about what I have witnessed here in the West...that is all.

It's interesting. Once I was talking to the priest at the Hindu temple about the different dieties and such. What really stood out for me is when he said something exactly what you said NB about praying to the dieties. He further stated that the dieties are simply used as visionary tools for guidance, not to be taken literally...when you have this kind of understanding and is the foundation for your practice, I see no problems - period. As long as you have a clear understanding about that...which is where I think most in Hindu culture are well versed in, then all seems to be well and there are no conflicts.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-04 10:38 AM (#51248 - in reply to #50561)

Cyndiben: tools for guidance, not to be taken literally...when you have this kind of understanding and is the foundation for your practice, I see no problems - period. As long as you have a clear understanding about that...which is where I think most in Hindu culture are well versed in, then all seems to be well and there are no conflicts.

===> No, no, no Cyndiben. With all respect and love for you (is that your picture on Avatar?), deities are NOT visionary tools. They actually exist exactly as they are visioned. One can even get a physical perception or communication with them in the Form. However, that is the Form aspect of God, and is in a way limited at least in the earlier experiences. When that aspect is fully experienced, that is when one is totally devoted to his/her deity, then one goes towards the formless.

===> Coming back to bg's previous post: It is IMPOSSIBLE to skip the form aspect. Any practice one is doing is all with the Form aspect, whether Hindu or nonHindu. Formless is a kind of graceful reward one gets at the end. And, then one realizes that Form and Formless are the same God.

sarvam khalu idam brahma.

bn
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-04 10:43 AM (#51251 - in reply to #51248)

Expert Yogi

NB,

You just said the same thing the Hindu Priest said to me. I'm sorry, I can't seem to get the words and translation correct...for some reason, my typing is not going along with what is in my brain is. Oh well. Better you explain it than I. Keep going, your doing a great job of it!
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-05-04 9:57 PM (#51337 - in reply to #51176)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2006-05-03 10:18 PM  Good Evening BG, I have this same feeling as well...although, my observations have been with Christianity's stance with their God in the sky and heavens concept. It's interesting, I have seen some Indians pray the same way to the dieties...although, I am quite sure they have the understanding that goes along with it, whereas Christians take it literally and seperate themselves from God period. Although, I truly wonder sometimes. Sometimes I think people seperate themselves so they can live out their karmas without having a guilty conscience (which is basically another way of saying they were unconscious sp??) and where to place the blame if anything goes awry...like that saying, "it was God's will" or "the devil made me do it" or "in the name of God" I never liked these at all.

I agree with you entirely.  I tried hard to adopted Xstianity as a child, but I could never reconcile the positions and claims with what I could observe every day. It's of course really great to be able to attribute every bad thing that happens to "It's g-d's will" or "the LAWD moves in mySTERious ways". But what really bugged me was the Xstian's god cruelty and unrelenting efforts subjugate the human spirit -- which he supposedly created. I can't buy the idea of a god who would create imperfect humans and then torment them for the shortcomings that he imparted. All explanations of this that I have ever heard failed on grounds of reason, even without consideration of compassion. An alternative explanation can actually be found in the Gnostic Gospels: this fellow is not in fact god, simply a somewhat powerful and desperately insecure deity who demands unquestioning subservience of those who accept his authority. There a higher, and more detatched, power above this guy...interesting that the Gnostic Gospels took a somewhat non-dual stance on the deity.

... bg

PS: apologies to any Xstian's that I annoyed with this...it's my view, and I respect your right to have your view.

Bay Guy
Posted 2006-05-04 10:04 PM (#51339 - in reply to #51181)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-05-03 10:46 PM Dear BG: You are correct. Certain dualistic followers do get stuck on the way. And, that is why there were genuine debates (called as vaada in Sanskrit, not quarrel, but Philosophical debate) between the advaitavadins and dvaitavadins. And, without doubt, Adi Shankaracharya has won amongst all of them establishing the final truth in Advaita while still proving Dvaita as a valid step before. However, what is ironical is that in India, you shall find (as Cyndiben observed) that dvaitavadins (dualists) praying to different deities, even in one single temple (as you must have witnessed yourself in South India), go along very happily with each other, accepting that all their deities ultimately point to the same God. What they do not realize is: If Deity 1 with Form 1 and Deity 2 with Form 2 and Deity 3 with Form 3, and Deity 1million with Form 1million all point to the same God, that God has to be without form. And, that is the NonDualism or Advaita. (I bow down to Adi Shankara thousand times, for my being able to explain it like this to you!) Peace

Dear Brother Neel,

I did indeed observe the multiplicity of deities within a single temple in South India. One place I visited is said to have 33,000 statues in it. I could not name all the deities I saw, but, like at least some of the others there, I saw them as many faces of one. The argument you quote from Shankaracharya is excellent.

It's interesting that I saw a similarly large number of deities in a yoga studio that I visited in India, as well. Patanjali, of course, but also Hanuman, Garuda, and others, with "Om namo Narayana" above the entrance.

... bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-04 10:32 PM (#51345 - in reply to #50561)

Dear bg: Thanks for the compliment. Actually, the argument is my own (apologies for bragging), not of Adi Shankara. But, I bow down to him, because I could not have made it without studying him and without his grace above all.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)