YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Emotional Eating....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Seven
Posted 2006-04-22 5:12 AM (#50203)
Subject: Emotional Eating....

I guess one could say I have an eating disorder; altogether my whole disposition is often governed by my emotions rather than my mind.... I am very sensitive and take everything in (also other people's emotions). I talked to a tai chi teacher who told me I have no 'protection' - that I am missing an energy force-field?

Anyway - facts are - when I am feeling good - my diet is good; no white sugar, no white flour - plenty of vegetables/legumes and fruit and mostly only fish and rarely poultry and eggs....

But when I feel sad/down - I stuff myself with white bread and butter, anything with sugar in.... And I feel sick the next day...

I was termed 'clinically depressed' in 2003 - a depression that lasted a whole year. I hardly left the house if I could avoid it; felt anxiety at the thought of having to spend time with other people and so on. I was medicated (only time in my life) for 5 months. It did seem to help in that it took the edge off the fear and I was able to go out, be with people and generally pick up my life again. So I went off the pills (cold turkey) in April 2004. Got better and better slowly. But due to much inactivity and not caring what I ate, I had put on 20 pounds during that year.

I decided to clean up my life altogether and I stopped smoking. I put on another 20 pounds. It has been almost impossible for me to get the weight off even though I keep trying. To lose weight I seem to have to actually starve... meaning feel so hungry that I at some point break down and eat (more than I should and the wrong things.)

Part of all this and my poor body-image has to do with both how my mother treated me as a child (calling me fat, putting me on diets - when I was only a little chubby as a normal child can be) and also being raped at 14 - didn't make my body-image any better. I have struggled with this all my life and I am sooo tired of it - and I would so love to be able to accept having a body and maybe even enjoy it....

I hope this is not too much for this forum... I am giving it a chance anyway - hoping someone has some advice for me... Or some diet that I could follow - because I don't seem to be able to choose the right way myself...

1Love Anne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-22 10:09 AM (#50212 - in reply to #50203)
Subject: RE: Emotional Eating....

have you talked to a psychologist about this? the best way to get on the right track is figuring out how you can help yourself, and that's no easy task. talking to someone who's trained to help you figure that out isn't a cop-out or a failure, it's just like hiring a plumber to re-do the plumbing in your house when you discover it's a bigger job than just a loose nut under the sink.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-22 11:21 AM (#50219 - in reply to #50203)

Dear Seven: Food for thought for you (I am sure that would not increase your weight!):

1. Find a person who has knowledge of Psychology and Psychiatry.

AND ALSO (not OR)

2. Who does exercise each day, let us say for 5 years regularly

AND ALSO

3. Who is experienced in Yoga or some similar philosophy

AND ALSO

4. Has sufficient time and love for you

AND ALSO

5. Is affordable for you

AND ALSO

6. Approachable or Reachable by you.

7. Such a person can help you.

Best Luck
Seven
Posted 2006-04-22 11:45 AM (#50221 - in reply to #50203)

LOL... that's a tall order Kulkarn - I doubt if there is such a person in the whole universe.... Anyway - I'll just deal with it myself. I guess it was too much for people to take here. I have been in therapy plenty. I am fine - even if it doesn't sound like that - considering what I have been through - I even have a good relationship with my mother - I just wanted to give people a background. I have worked much on myself. My last 'problem' is the food and the added weight. I have let go of all other addictions and I don't need therapy. (Most therapists are in dire need of therapy themselves.)

I guess I just wanted some simple ideas; maybe some yoga positions and some diet-tips....

But thank you both for responding.

Peace!
tourist
Posted 2006-04-22 3:05 PM (#50231 - in reply to #50221)

Expert Yogi

Hi Seven - definitely not to much for us here. We are up for nearly anything. There are people here who have had eating disorders who will be able to give you some ideas, although most will tell you to keep doing yoga and things will probably get better. It sounds like you know what is healthy to eat and what isn't. You also know (I'm sure you know this) that dieting until you are famished is a big dead-end street. Don't do that! Nine times out of ten when I need advice I imagine that my best friend had asked me the same question I am asking. I think about my best advice to her and try to do that for myself.
Nick
Posted 2006-04-23 4:00 AM (#50267 - in reply to #50203)

Hi Seven,
Being in a groups is a really good way of motivating ourselves to do exercise.Join a running club or get some friends together and meet every night about 5-6 days a week.Any member of the group who wants to give up for no good reason will receive strong encouragement from the rest of the group. There may be one of you who knows about fitness and can act as personal trainer, but try taking it in turns, it's more fun. A couple of months of this should shed unwanted poundage. When I've put weight on in the past, it always seems to creep up on me unnoticed, and the longer it's there, the harder it is to take off (probably because my metabolic rate is lower, or something). But as you want to stay fit for the rest of your life, keep running or whatever and the weight will disappear. My personal opinion with yoga is that you have to know what you are doing-say you wanted to keep fit by swimming, you wouldn't be able to do it if you couldnt swim properly-but by swimming for about 45 mins continuously you build up stamina and raise the metabolic rate. Because yoga is quite complex, I think you have to make sure that you advance enough so that you can exert yuorself safely, and or do other forms of training.
Take care Have fun
Nick
eal1976
Posted 2006-04-23 5:53 AM (#50270 - in reply to #50203)

Hi Seven, I too suffer from this disorder. It's been a struggle for my entire life. I had the same thing happen with my mom. We have a good relationship now, but damage was definately done during those formative years.
My advice to you is to find a good yoga teacher whom you trust and take classes regularly. Try not to focus so much on the physical. As you practice yoga you will naturally want to eat healthier foods. You'll lose weight slowly if you focus on healthy eating and avoid diets. Diets never work in the long term! Eliminate white flour, wheat flour, sugar and alcohol from your diet. You will find that your craving for sugar will eventually go away. I haven't had sugar since october and I don't crave it. I've also been eating organic food. I highly reccommend you join a 12 step support group such as OA or FA (Overeaters annon, food addicts annon). The programs are free and you will find many people at various stages of recovery from this disorder.
You are not alone. If you'd like to talk more you can PM me.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-04-23 10:50 AM (#50277 - in reply to #50203)

Hiya 7,

Interesting what your Tai Ji teacher told you. As much as I love yoga, the Chinese philosophy of "energy" really ressonates with me. I think your teacher is onto something. Different foods we consume have different energetic properties. Some foods build Qi (your protective energy field), some foods move Qi (that clumps and stagnates) and some foods build other aspects (like building your Yin or your Yang, your Blood and your Essence). Doesn't sound like you eat too many foods that build up your Qi, from what I've read. I know I don't know you and I'm not trying to pretend that I know what's best for you - only you know that. So, please disregard whatever I'm saying if it doesn't feel right to you.

The Chinese are not big proponents of vegetarianism since it's lacking in Qi, Yang and Blood building foods. Paul Pitchford has a great book (written in english) on the Chinese Medicinal properties of food. It's easy to read and it's about $32.00 on Amazon. Probably less on Half.com. Your Tai Ji instructor might be able to refer you to someone trained in Chinese medicial nutrition and herbology.

(I hope someone asks me about the properties of deer antler because I'm dying to share it with you all, especially 7)
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-23 11:31 AM (#50288 - in reply to #50203)

Seven wrote: LOL... that's a tall order Kulkarn - I doubt if there is such a person in the whole universe.... Anyway - I'll just deal with it myself. I guess it was too much for people to take here. I have been in therapy plenty. I am fine - even if it doesn't sound like that - considering what I have been through - I even have a good relationship with my mother - I just wanted to give people a background. I have worked much on myself. My last 'problem' is the food and the added weight. I have let go of all other addictions and I don't need therapy. (Most therapists are in dire need of therapy themselves.) I guess I just wanted some simple ideas; maybe some yoga positions and some diet-tips....But thank you both for responding

===> Dear Seven: That is not order. That is my response to your question. Also, I did not mean you take therapy. I like your statement (most therapists are in dire need of therapy themselves). I meant that you should find a Yoga person who knows what therapies exist. So, he/she can use the modern language but give you Yoga education. Those tips should also include diett tips, etc. I am proud that you have let go addictions and much worked on yourself, and have a good relation with mom. That shows you are a good candidate for a proper Yoga education, but from an experienced person, and from the one who can relate to your previous therapeutic treatments.

Best Luck
bigmamma
Posted 2006-04-23 11:18 PM (#50337 - in reply to #50203)

bigmamma is back and will post on this one after a good night's sleep!
read you in the morning . . .
Nick
Posted 2006-04-24 2:30 AM (#50353 - in reply to #50277)

Dear Fifi,
Something just came to me in the middle of the night-I don't suppose you could tell us anything about the properties of deer antler, funnyt question to pop up i know!
Is it anything to do with rutting? Clahing or horn?
Take care
Nick
LadyCelt
Posted 2006-04-24 3:13 AM (#50357 - in reply to #50203)

I tend to eat when stressed. I hate being emotional around the kitchen too. I also eat bad things that I"m not even hungry for when tired or stressed. Being tired makes me eat more too.

Sorry about your mom. Its so cruel how some are, even to their own family.
tourist
Posted 2006-04-24 10:27 AM (#50376 - in reply to #50337)

Expert Yogi

Hey bigmamma - great to see you!
bigmamma
Posted 2006-04-24 11:12 AM (#50385 - in reply to #50203)

Okay,

Personal disclosure (from a therapist who probably needs therapy herself) first:

A reason I was off this forum for so long was that I was conflicted about yoga and eating. As I became more aware of eating disorders and similar compulsive behaviors (ie over-exercising), I came to realize that I have known quite a few yogans (teachers and students) who have fallen into this category. Especially restricting food and compulsive exercise. I had to sit back for awhile and observe because I myself certainly can get wrapped up in a compulsive behavior. My need to please and be an "A" student. I didn't want to blame yoga or discount my years of practice.

I have concluded that yoga is still the wonderful practice I have always believed it to be, but, that it attracts certain personalities who may use its many and varied principles to "feed" an eating disorder (ie, fasting, elimination of certain food from the diet, rigorous asana sessions, what-have-you).

Admittedly, I am hyper-sensitive so my observations may seem ridiculous to some, but I sense they may ring true for others.

Now for the response:

I have PM'd Seven but would like to reiterate some points for the forum.

Healthy, nutritious food (protein, carbohydrates-fruits, fats and vegetables) is the best way to fuel your mind and body. Sure, there are foods that are non-nutritive but let's face it, we live in a world where we are inundated with junk and most of us like a little junk now and then. We use the 80/20 rule where I work. 80% of the food for the day is nutritive and 20% can be non-nutritive.

I love ayurvedic principles for diet and body type. Very helpful for balancing my aggressive Pitta tendencies.

When someone eats emotionally, it is not about the food or "self-control". The food, or restriction of food, is a coping mechanism. Much the same way some of you may have used alcohol, cigarettes, isolation, etc. as a way to deal with problems or pain. People with eating disorders use food because it worked as a way to help them survive. Most of the time, it worked so well, they didn't have to use anything else. They had the eating disorder to turn to, to comfort them. Until the eating disorder became the major source of pain. That is when most people seek help.

Unlike alcohol and drug addiction (a cocaine addict cannot have a healthy relationship with cocaine), you can recover from an eating disorder and have a healthy relationship with food. Yes, it is freaking hard! And will probably be something you will have to keep balanced. But it is possible.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any quick fixes or routines that will "cure" someone. But incorporating some of the suggestions and support from others as a way to begin coping with life in different ways is a great start! Working on boundaries and when to say no and realizing that you don't have to feel something just because someone else is feeling it is super important.

Keep us posted Seven,
Bigmamma
SCThornley
Posted 2006-04-24 1:30 PM (#50406 - in reply to #50203)

i give into jellybeans (but i'm working on this)
it used to be alcohol (but I stopped), it used to be tobacco (but I stopped)

I'm coming to the conclusion that we're all "damaged goods" in some way or another, and that's ok, this is my rationalization because theres nothing I can do about what's been done, I just have to move forward.

In the past year, an old friend sent me a dvd of a yoga routine.
it was from
http://www.ashtanga.net/dev/index.php

My 'old friend', who was the first to really open my eyes to yoga, started me out on what has become a very good journey.

Knowing that my yoga practice is there is comforting, and I go back to it at least three times a week, sometimes everyday (everyday is where I want to be).

If you can have a routine that you're comfortable with, it can be a foundation that you can build from, and like me, it might even help you lose a few pounds (or a lot of pounds) and start to pay attention to all the things that are going on inside and dealing with them.

This very physical approach of getting your body moving has helped me make some positive changes, and opened my eyes to the work ahead.

Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-25 5:22 AM (#50447 - in reply to #50385)

Bigmamma, I'm clipping your description of eating disorders as it's the first time I've read anything that comes close to describing my own relationship with food. Friends were trying to understand last night and not giving me the space to explain why they were not quite right in what they were saying. This is the perfect thing for me to pass on to them.

Fee

[
bigmamma
Posted 2006-04-25 10:44 AM (#50455 - in reply to #50203)

Awesome! And, I love your avatar ...

Feel free to clip me anytime
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-03 7:13 PM (#51140 - in reply to #50455)

Expert Yogi

Fifi,

I'm still waiting on your Deer Antler explanation. I wanna compare it to my explanation of what I think its good for. You go first,
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-03 8:23 PM (#51150 - in reply to #50203)

confession
i ate jellybeans today

Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-03 8:29 PM (#51152 - in reply to #51150)

Expert Yogi

Well, I had about 10 french fries with ketchup to go with my veggie burger....then I ate a half slice of Blueberry cheesecake. That's all I'm eating today...Oh, I had a cinnamon roll that I made from scratch since BB reminded me of those....for breakfast. Been drinking jasmine green tea all day. This is my junk food day I suppose if you want to look at that way.....Although..... The last few days have been strictly Ayurvedic and Healthy. I may eat the other half of my cheesecake for breakfast tomorrow....we'll see. It was very homemade and very good. I can't say whether or not it was very emotional though,

SCT, you MUST eat Jelly Belly Beans otherwise you are NOT eating jellybeans, Okay?? You got that???!!?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-03 9:07 PM (#51165 - in reply to #50203)

I had three chili cheese coneys for lunch, a Mountain Dew, and 5 oatmeal raisin cookies.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-03 10:02 PM (#51174 - in reply to #51165)

Expert Yogi

Geez GJ, should of made that a diet mountain dew and you would of had the "PERFECT" lunch,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)