YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Iyengar Teachers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-16 11:13 AM (#49770)
Subject: Question for Iyengar Teachers

As you guys know, I just did a introductory teacher training thing with an Iyengar teacher trainer (yes, he's certified to train Iyengar teachers). And, as I mentioned, despite five years of various types of yoga, it was my first introduction to classic Iyengar yoga. I enjoyed it. I like the focus on detail, alignment, and free use of a variety of props to explore asanas for whatever reason. But there are some poses that are found in other styles of yoga that aren't done in the Iyengar tradition. There are some things that aren't done that I like doing.

I'm curious to hear about your practice and your experience. It's my understanding that, while training to become a teacher in the Iyengar method, one should only study and practice the Iyengar method. I can understand that, though the prospect of giving up the other types of yoga I enjoy doing for three years or more (at least), seems sad to me. Do any of you find that restrictive, or has your first and only love been this particular method?

I also understand that, if one becomes an Iyengar teacher, one should only teach Iyengar yoga via the approved methods in Iyengar classes, but what about teaching other classes that you do not call Iyengar yoga? How is that viewed by the Iyengar teacher community? Do all of you who teach Iyengar practice and teach only that method?

I would love to teach (and hence do teacher training) in a number of styles, as I love variety in life. But perhaps there are some things that are mutually exclusive?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-04-16 12:06 PM (#49776 - in reply to #49770)
Subject: RE: Question for Iyengar Teach

Expert Yogi

NE - this is a HUGE question. I'll try to get back to it but have to dash to a workshop right now
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-16 2:42 PM (#49783 - in reply to #49770)
Subject: RE: Question for Iyengar Teachers

lol... I never shy away from asking the biggies. Good thing there's a lifetime to ponder it. :-)

Posted 2006-04-16 3:42 PM (#49786 - in reply to #49770)

i suppose i'm not an iyengar teacher, but as a practitioner experienced in a variety of yoga styles, i'll weigh in...

yoga practice should draw from your entire life experience. to think you could take out non-iyengar elements from your practice is folly. if anything, adding iyengar yoga to your repetoire would only serve to strengthen your practice of other styles. the alignment and propping you learn in iyengar yoga applies to all yoga you could think of.
its certainly worked that way for me.
i read an interview with manouso manous (what a great name) and he commented that only three people in the world are practicing iyengar yoga: BKS, Geeta, and Prashant. Everyone else is doing some mutation of iyengar style, say, "Nuclear Eggset Yoga." or whatever.

if you go into iyengar training, there will probably be some changes to your practice and teaching philosophy. i don't think, though, that these are things applied in order to restrict you. i've taken classes from a wide variety of iyengar teachers. they've been dramatically different. the common thread is the excellence of the teachers: their attention to alignment, confidence as instructors, intensity and insight into body intelligence.

you could teach the ashtanga series in the iyengar method.
it would just take 5 or 6 hours
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-16 4:37 PM (#49788 - in reply to #49770)

Dear Nuclear Eggset:

If you are a true Yoga Student at any level (Level does not depend on how long you can stay in headstand!), my suggestion is :

Get your own knowledge and input from others. Then, close your eyes, and follow your heart. And, you will be OK. Do NOT conform to outside unless your heart agrees. Otherwise, very soon, you shall be neighter a yoga student nor a yoga teacher.

Best wishes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-16 9:34 PM (#49798 - in reply to #49770)

Dear nuke_eggset:
I want to add the following:

a) You must find out from your trainer the logic (why) of NOT practicing/discarding other methods or other things that you want to continue. Then you should listen to your heart. It is possible that you might like their logic.

b) This logic you should obtain from your trainer or trainer's trainer directly.

c) I totally disagree with Manuso Manasa's (sorry for ignoring the spelling). Because, if his statement were true, it will be ridiculous to impart a training. It is like saying only Newton knows his laws of physics.

d) I also request you to specify if possible the things you wish to continue but are not allowed.

Posted 2006-04-17 12:50 AM (#49807 - in reply to #49770)

perhaps that was taken out of context, and then interpreted out of context...

here is the interview in question if anyone is interested:
http://www.yogachicago.com/jan01/manusomanos.shtml

neel makes a good point, though (as usual)...
just listen to your heart!
tourist
Posted 2006-04-17 11:45 AM (#49837 - in reply to #49770)

Expert Yogi

OK, here goes. First about Manuso Manos. I just spent the weekend studying with him and, although I haven't read the whole interview, it sounds very much like the way he talks. He likes to set up a point with a brash or outrageous statement and then say "I know that will bother some people and I don't really want to argue the details of it but I said that for a reason and let me tell you why..." And then he will explain what he said about any point, from why students run out to pee in the middle of class but teachers never do, to how and why we apply the first 4 sutras to our practice. Love it or hate it if you will, it is the way he works and it makes a very thought provoking weekend, for sure!

NE -
But there are some poses that are found in other styles of yoga that aren't done in the Iyengar tradition. There are some things that aren't done that I like doing.

First of all, your practice is your practice and you can do whatever you like in it. It is that simple. However, as you get deeper into the Iyengar system you will see how much studying the workings of the "simple" poses informs you of the complex poses. I have known this since I started in 1997 but am only really delving into it with a bit of clarity now.

I can understand that, though the prospect of giving up the other types of yoga I enjoy doing for three years or more (at least), seems sad to me.

You will never give up or lose what you have done in the past. And you really shouldn't. It is part of your sadhana and part of who you are. Of course, while in a class, you do each pose the way the teacher tells you to, no matter where you are (I hope!) but what has already been learned in your body is going to inform what it learns next. It is unavoidable.

Do any of you find that restrictive, or has your first and only love been this particular method?

Iyengar is my first love so no, I do not find it restrictive at all. Back in the 60's when we had very little (ok, zero) instruction about how to go deeper into a pose or how really to even BE in a pose, I had soooo many questions. Iyengar answerd all those questions and more so I see no need to go elsewhere.

Ialso understand that, if one becomes an Iyengar teacher, one should only teach Iyengar yoga via the approved methods in Iyengar classes, but what about teaching other classes that you do not call Iyengar yoga? How is that viewed by the Iyengar teacher community? Do all of you who teach Iyengar practice and teach only that method?

OK, here is the really big question. If you want to teach "Iyengar yoga" then you must only teach Iyengar yoga. (And by association, it would make sense to only practice that way as well or you will get pretty confused...) If you wish to call yourself an Iyengar teacher, you must only teach in the Iyengar style. If you wish to teach other styles, you may not call yourself and Iyengar teacher, you may not say your are "Iyengar trained" and you may not say you teach in the Iyengar style or tradition or advertise that you ar Iyengar based or anything of the sort. Yes, it is a question of "branding" and yes, it does sound a bit like some other styles who are being aggressive about protecting their name. But really, it is a matter of respect and ethics. BKS did not want his name used but it became so widespread there had to be a "label" put on it so people knew what they were getting. So now he has said only those who teach as closely to his method as possible can use his name. Plain and simple.

There are so many ways to illustrate this but often the fast food model is used - you don't go to McD's and get a Whopper or to Burger King for a Big Mac. Or a McWhopper or whatever. And if you did, the bigwigs in charge of the respective companies would be royally PO'd and someone would be fired pdq! There are many ways up a mountain, but if you keep going a few hundred metres up one path then running back down and trying the next one (hoping it will be easier or more scenic or more to your taste in some way) you will never get to the top. Most gurus will tell you this. At first you do look around and check out which paths look likely, but if you do want to get to the top, one day you will have to choose one and stick to it.

As for variety, I can tell you that I myself have never been bored by Iyengar yoga. The variety is endless and the ways of working each pose go on and on and on. I have mentioned doing 2 hours of work on tadasana at a workshop before. I think we must have spent at least an hour on it at this workshop and there was NOTHING exactly the same (except the teacher was going for the same end result) in the way we worked. It was fascinating - truly!

Anyway, do ask me more about this. It is a big topic, as I said
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-17 10:27 PM (#49900 - in reply to #49770)

I still disagree with M M's statement. I can not understand how he can explain the statement quoted by dhanurasana. I agree with Tourist that if one wants to say they are teaching Iyengar Style with Iyengar Certification, they should do what they are taught as a part of that certification including sticking to whatever it is. If one is teaching Bikram Yoga, they must heat the room. On the other hand, just for your info, in Authentic Yoga style developed by me in 1999, I do NOT want my certified teachers to tell others that they are teaching Authentic Yoga style of Neel Kulkarni. I want them to tell others, "I had done Teacher Training with Neel Kulkarni, and some of my teaching may reflect that training. But, I have added some of my other learning and my original practice to that TT. ETC." Of course, there are some core concepts which we expect them to follow. For example, in Authentic Yoga style, there is no such a thing as Intensive (sorry to bring that word) and one must never try to exceed their capacity too much. Another example is: In Authentic Yoga a teacher is supposed to introduce at least minimal chanting in the class without forcing all students to chant.

ETC.
tourist
Posted 2006-04-17 11:45 PM (#49909 - in reply to #49900)

Expert Yogi

I think Manouso was trying to say exactly what you are saying Neel. That nobody can teach exactly how someone else teaches. We do know that Geeta, BKS and Prashant teach in highly different styles, for sure.
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-18 12:49 AM (#49911 - in reply to #49837)

First of all, your practice is your practice and you can do whatever you like in it. It is that simple. However, as you get deeper into the Iyengar system you will see how much studying the workings of the "simple" poses informs you of the complex poses. I have known this since I started in 1997 but am only really delving into it with a bit of clarity now.

While I realize this to be the case, that doesn't mean that there aren't other - sometimes very simple - poses that I like doing. There are some reclining twists that I love doing that are not a part of Iyengar yoga. They're very simple poses, and borrow significantly from other poses (for instance, I was under the impression that (sorry if my sanskrit's wrong) supta parvrtta trikonasana isn't a pose in the iyengar system, but I happen to prefer it in some situations (particularly those pesky migraines, which can be bothered by deep twists) to parvrtta trikonasana). It still has much to take from the original, of course. This isn't an issue of wanting to do more difficult poses that aren't in the Iyengar style - usually just the opposite - but just different poses.

You will never give up or lose what you have done in the past. And you really shouldn't. It is part of your sadhana and part of who you are. Of course, while in a class, you do each pose the way the teacher tells you to, no matter where you are (I hope!) but what has already been learned in your body is going to inform what it learns next. It is unavoidable.

It's not an issue of losing what I have done in the past. It's an issue of giving up something I have right now. Right now I have a practice that is not Iyengar yoga. I would have to give up that practice if I were to do Iyengar training. No, I'll never lose what I had, but I would have to give up things I have now and could have in the future, as opposed to maintaining both practices. I would also be giving up, at least for a few years, the possibility of exploring other practices. Basically, I'd be closing all the other doors in the house for quite a while if I wanted to open this one, it seems. I realize, however, that the argument can be made that the room behind this particular door has everything you really need in it already.

OK, here is the really big question. If you want to teach "Iyengar yoga" then you must only teach Iyengar yoga. (And by association, it would make sense to only practice that way as well or you will get pretty confused...) If you wish to call yourself an Iyengar teacher, you must only teach in the Iyengar style. If you wish to teach other styles, you may not call yourself and Iyengar teacher, you may not say your are "Iyengar trained" and you may not say you teach in the Iyengar style or tradition or advertise that you ar Iyengar based or anything of the sort. Yes, it is a question of "branding" and yes, it does sound a bit like some other styles who are being aggressive about protecting their name. But really, it is a matter of respect and ethics. BKS did not want his name used but it became so widespread there had to be a "label" put on it so people knew what they were getting. So now he has said only those who teach as closely to his method as possible can use his name. Plain and simple.

No worries there, I wouldn't do the training, then teach something else with the name. That would be stealing, in my opinion, and quite wrong. I understand the branding/categorization issue, quite frankly. Honestly, I could see where it'd be nice if I could teach some classes that were true Iyengar, but some that appealed to other students as well. That style doesn't appeal to everyone - it doesn't appeal to me 100% of the time either; sometimes, I want my power yoga vinyasa! I suppose I'm getting into the nitty gritty there, though. One thing that's crossed my mind is whether or not it would just be a total waste of time for me to go through the training, and teach without mention of the training - never tell a student about it or 'advertise' it, merely use it as a building block for my practice and informational background in my teaching. That seems wrong too, somehow...

There are many ways up a mountain, but if you keep going a few hundred metres up one path then running back down and trying the next one (hoping it will be easier or more scenic or more to your taste in some way) you will never get to the top. Most gurus will tell you this. At first you do look around and check out which paths look likely, but if you do want to get to the top, one day you will have to choose one and stick to it.

You know, I had a boss that liked to use analogies like this. The problem is that they have one very fatal flaw - they assume that you want to get to the top. Perhaps I'd rather explore the base of the mountains, surveying them, exploring the differences between them, and enjoying the unique flora and fauna on them for exactly what they are. :-) Perhaps at some point in the future I'll want to get to the top, but right now, I think I'm in 'enjoy the view, who cares about the top' stage.

As for variety, I can tell you that I myself have never been bored by Iyengar yoga. The variety is endless and the ways of working each pose go on and on and on. I have mentioned doing 2 hours of work on tadasana at a workshop before. I think we must have spent at least an hour on it at this workshop and there was NOTHING exactly the same (except the teacher was going for the same end result) in the way we worked. It was fascinating - truly!

I can see both not being bored by it and not being quite satified by it either. I can do all kinds of different things in running - interval, long slow run, sprints, track, hill, street, partner, solo, etc. But I'm not going to give up swimming because I can do lots of variations on running. It's actually some of the same adrenaline rush from the quick flowing, rapid movements of the vinyasa that I've done in the past and do right now that I haven't seen much of in Iyengar (I mean, like a full class - one of the Iynegar classes I did last week did have about five minutes of it, and it wasn't as smooth...). Paraphrasing someone above - I suppose I could do the ashtanga series in Iyengar, if I took 5 or 6 hours, but then it wouldn't be the ashtanga series, it would be missing a very vital point of it.

You're post actually helped a lot thought. It made me realize that this isn't the right move for me at this time. Don't worry, I'm not giving up on training, nor on the Iyengar style. I know that I don't have enough experience in either to make any truely informed decisions, so I'm pocketing the decision, and am going to continue the practice I have now, and will add some additional Iyengar classes at the same studio I went to for the training when their next series starts up. I will probably experiment with a few other styles as well, as I think that it can be helpful for a yoga teacher to have experienced a wide range of styles so that she can help students that don't find a fit with the type that he/she teaches to find something more up the student's alley.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I'm sure I'll come back with more questions for opinions in the future, but I think I'll table this decision for a few months, focus on my practice, and come back to it when I'm feeling like I've got more information to work with.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-18 8:25 AM (#49926 - in reply to #49770)

Dear nuclear_eggset: I agree and like the way you put your response above. I wish you could have mentioned what the difference of your practice you were going to loose due to TT. My one line response to you is already given to you: Follow your heart. But, I want to add another line, with repetition: When you want to call your style by a particular Name, then use the rules of that style. Otherwise, do not use the name. That is all.

Dear Tourist: No, what I meant of my disagreement with MM's statement is: I do not agree his statement that 'There are only 3 persons who do I style'. That is a false and ridiculous sttement. If it were true, he can not be an I teacher at all. And, there will be no meaning of teaching a style which only 1 or 2 or 3 persons are an example of.

YogaGuy
Posted 2006-04-18 9:28 AM (#49929 - in reply to #49786)

dhanurasana - 2006-04-16 3:42 PM

you could teach the ashtanga series in the iyengar method.
it would just take 5 or 6 hours

Hours? I think you mean days!

I agree with Tourist. You can study whatever you want and nobody can take away what you've already learned. All yoga is complimentary. But if you want to use the name you have to follow the rules.

As for poses that you can't do? That seems unlikely. Look in Light on Yoga. If they really aren't there, I'm sure you can find 20 other poses that you will love just as much. Then you can always do your favorite poses in your home practice. Nonetheless, I think that's bunk. Because there are soooooo many poses in the yoga tradition and I've seen so many variations of them in Iyengar with all the props. I've seen poses totally reworked for therapeutic purposes and they don't look anything like the original poses anymore. So to say that some poses aren't allowed just seems ridiculous. But I CAN see how certain poses are favored and certain variations are favored and how easier poses are taught before more challenging ones.
tourist
Posted 2006-04-18 8:24 PM (#49966 - in reply to #49911)

Expert Yogi

I was under the impression that (sorry if my sanskrit's wrong) supta parvrtta trikonasana isn't a pose in the iyengar system

A common misconception. We absolutely do that pose in Iyengar. In fact, Julie Gudmestad once taught a full evening of "standing poses" all done lying on the floor with our feet on the wall. It was lovely!

I realize, however, that the argument can be made that the room behind this particular door has everything you really need in it already

Yes, this is how I feel for myself. This room has everything in it that I need. But either it does not have everything in it that you need or maybe there are still a few corners of the room you haven't seen yet

Perhaps I'd rather explore the base of the mountains, surveying them, exploring the differences between them, and enjoying the unique flora and fauna on them for exactly what they are. :-)

This is exactly what goes through my mind when I hear those analogies! I don't wanna be in the NBA. I just wanna shoot a few hoops! (eeesh, a Canadian like me should be using hockey terms, eh?) I don't see myself as a person with that sort of ambition either. However I am the sort to read a book to the end (except for Candace Bushnell's - sorry Candy, we loved SATC but the other novels pretty much suck. There is an old thread somewhere about that... ) and try to follow things to a logical conclusion. Plus, as I said, I am sure this is where I want to be, so that helps.

I'm not going to give up swimming because I can do lots of variations on running. It's actually some of the same adrenaline rush from the quick flowing, rapid movements of the vinyasa that I've done in the past and do right now that I haven't seen much of in Iyengar (I mean, like a full class - one of the Iynegar classes I did last week did have about five minutes of it, and it wasn't as smooth...).

A couple of things here: running is not swimming (I know this, married to an old triathlete ) and so in a way, even though we are comparing different styles of yoga, we are still looking at apples and oranges - or running and swimming, if you will. I would have trouble figuring out why someone wouold completely quit one style for another if you really love them both. Over time, one will probably dominate the other and maybe go back and forth for a bit. If you do yoga for a long, long time I would imagine Iyengar would "win" simply because it is much easier to accomodate the eventual pains of the body that we all get. But then there are those whacko ultra distance runners who never break down, too The bonus is that if you know enough about Iyengar, you don't have to quit practicing (see the Bikram threads ) every time you are injured or exhausted.

I think it is a really good idea to experience different styles. Bruce's training included a segment where he was required to visit various studios and try other styles., which is great if it is accessable to you. Another point I should make is that I am truly blessed to be in an area that is chock-a-block with very highly trained Iyengar teachers. If I were the only Iyengar teacher available to someone, I can see that they might want to move on or even get bored ( I hope not, but I can see it might be possible!). I have many teachers available to me who have studied directly with the Iyengars on a regular basis over the past 30 years - and they bring in guest teachers who can still do things that make their jaws drop! So my experience of Iyengar yoga is probably not typical. I am pretty sure the gods thought I was going to need all the help I could get so they dropped me here in the hopes that no mater how dense I was, I would get the help when I was ready

I am glad this discussion has been helpful. I have enjoyed it, too
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)