YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anusara?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2006-04-14 7:28 PM (#49617)
Subject: Anusara?

Extreme Veteran

Recently an Anusara studio opened near me, and I have been thinking about trying it. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what exactly is Anusara yoga. I went to the Anusara website, but I couldn't quite get the idea of what sets Anusara apart from other kinds of yoga. What would be the benefit to doing this kind of yoga as opposed to others?

Thanks!

Samantha

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-04-14 7:55 PM (#49619 - in reply to #49617)
Subject: RE: Anusara?

It's good stuff Sam (BTW--good to hear from you again). Gruvemom here on the forum is a recent BIGTIME Fan having attended on of John Friend's workshops. It's Hatha yoga but with a more in touch with yourself and others slant.Go for it--you certainly will benefit!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-04-14 9:59 PM (#49627 - in reply to #49617)
Subject: RE: Thinking about trying Anus

John Friend (the starter of Anusara) is a long time Iyengar student, so expect lots of alignment stuff. Our local teacher is very much about slow classes, and lots of breaks, and spends a lot of time talking about grace, and other airey fairey stuff. IIRC, John Friend is a Buddhist, so there's a bit of a buddhist slant to it.

For the most part I enjoy the class, the local teacher's pretty good about giving good alignment tips, since she's been teaching for quite a while. However, as ashtangi, I need a bit more movement, etc.
samantha77
Posted 2006-04-15 9:25 AM (#49665 - in reply to #49617)
Subject: RE: Thinking about trying Anusara

Extreme Veteran

Thanks!  That sounds like something I would like.  I'm definitely going to try it.

Samantha

Kabu
Posted 2006-04-15 1:23 PM (#49686 - in reply to #49665)

The Basic classes are slower, and alignment is focused right down to where your darn pinky toe is. Higher level classes flow faster. Our instructors treat us to an advanced demonstration now and then (10 - 15 minutes long), and it's like a dance...very strong and very graceful. I will finally be moving into a higher level class during the week, and I'm pretty excited!

I'm not sure if all Anusara studios are the same, or if our studio just has that kind of personality, but there's a lot of that "feel good" atmosphere. There is much talk during the practice of honoring all that is beautiful in yourself, and sometimes the entire practice is based on a single concept like acceptance, forgiveness, courage, etc. The teacher will come back to that concept and tie the poses into it all throughout class. Music is almost always used.

The practice can go from being an exercise in strength and alignment to a very meditative thing.

Let me know how you like it!
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-17 2:23 PM (#49858 - in reply to #49686)

Hey Sam!  Lucky you to have an Anusara studio near you!
yes, I'm a big fan of Anusara and John Friend.  I move heaven and earth to attend JF workshops when he comes to town... and when I do, sometimes I get a little too close to the Anusara Kool Aid... so I come back on a big pink cloud.... it's common.... I've been attending Anusara classes for about 1-1/2 years and it's the one style that has spoken to me more than any other.

I started out in Iyengar, so I "get" where all of the alignment instructions are going - as well as their worth. I have also practiced Ashtanga for the last 2 years and I have to tell you, I honestly feel Anusara is physically and mentally more difficult.  Probably b/c of the "heart" factor. ( I like the "cut and dry" of the Ashtanga, that's what makes it easy, but I've gotten bored and the repetitive movements have caused some joint issues.)

My total practice has advanced more quickly with Anusara than in other forms - particularly Ashtanga, and I think that's b/c of how picky so many of the teachers are about form and alignment... also, Anusara teachers tend to be more highly trained than others (flame me if you want, but that's my experience).  Most Anusara teachers that I know have studied and taught other styles of yoga prior to coming to Anusara - first as a personal practice, then through advanced study and training, and then certification.  We're lucky to have a bunch of local teachers who are either certified or on their way to certification.  I know that this isn't true in many areas.

In my experience, the male teachers have a much more rigorous class while the women have a more low key class - however, the women are no less demanding than the men and I've had great experience with both.

My suggestion, Sam, is that you commit to take a bunch of classes at the new studio and see how you like them.  If you take 10 classes and aren't connecting, I think it's a pretty good sign that it's not for you.
I don't know where you are in Jersey, but I know that John Friend is coming to that area (or Philly) sometime in the next 6 months or so.  go to www.anusara.com and click on John's schedule and see.  Definitely apply. There's a much different level of energy in JF workshops than in any other workshop I've taken part in.  I always come back to the board with incredible insights (for me I mean, if anyone else benefits, good on ya!) as well as a story or two and at least 2 huge advances in my personal practice. 

feel free to PM me w/ questions about classes or workshops!

Melissa -

Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-17 2:36 PM (#49860 - in reply to #49858)

Oh, and one more thing...I am a huge fan/ believer in a discipline called "Anusara Yoga Therapy" which is sort of (and this is my description) physical theraputic passive yoga stretches.  If you are lucky enough to get a teacher who has studied the yoga therapy.... then just put yourself on cloud nine.  My teacher has worked with my dh (who is a non yogi) w/ great success (though he chose to go w/ surgery >:< *) and he's also been working on my "chatturanga shoulder".

I also came to class one time (it was an immersion) with the flu and had a fever, lost my voice, chills and incredible aches.  A few minutes (or maybe it was an hour) of passive stretches later, and I felt so much better.... 3 hours later, my voice was back, fever gone, no more chills and the aches were drastically reduced.  It was amazing. 

JackieCat
Posted 2006-04-17 2:54 PM (#49863 - in reply to #49617)

Extreme Veteran

This is really immature, but on the front page where all the forums are listed, this thread comes up as "Thinking about trying Anus" (b/c the title is too long for the entire text to be displayed).

Just thought I'd point that out!
Kabu
Posted 2006-04-17 4:46 PM (#49874 - in reply to #49863)

*sigh* Okay, that was funny. Back to the topic...

I need to get myself to a John Friend workshop. Of course, perhaps getting some Level 1 and 2 classes under my belt first wouldn't hurt.
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-18 7:38 PM (#49962 - in reply to #49874)

Kabu, you should know beforehand that I've NEVER encountered any loops/spirals instructions in a JF workshop.  a lot of people are surprised by this, but it's assumed that if you are going there, you have probably tried some other basic Anusara first.

I usually suggest to people (no matter how advanced) to hit a beginner's class and tell the teacher you are there for the loops/spirals stuff.

Mitch
Posted 2006-04-20 2:46 PM (#50095 - in reply to #49863)

JackieCat - 2006-04-17 2:54 PM

This is really immature, but on the front page where all the forums are listed, this thread comes up as "Thinking about trying Anus" (b/c the title is too long for the entire text to be displayed).

Just thought I'd point that out!

Yes. I thought this thread was going to be about the old moola bandha!

I agree with Melissa that Anusura seems to draw experienced teachers and the ones I've encountered are good. However, there is a hint of a "cult of personality" around JF and the Siddha Yoga connection makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Probably best to experience it firsthand to make your own judgements.
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-20 5:13 PM (#50099 - in reply to #50095)

Mitch, I've seen some serious "seekers" around a JF workshop, but not that much "cult". However, I'll be the first to admit that I do OD on the purple kool aid when John's in town.

The energy he's able to create in the room is amazing.  I constantly astonish myself at the level I rise to when I'm practicing with him.

I'm constantly astonish myself at the level I sink to in my "everyday" class.. ;< *

Miabella704
Posted 2006-04-20 9:10 PM (#50122 - in reply to #49874)

"Thinking About Trying Anus"....................

Yes!! Immature or not, that is why I clicked on it! Dirty girl! Bad dirty girl (slaps back of own hand)!

Edited by Miabella704 2006-04-20 9:11 PM
Mitch
Posted 2006-04-21 10:22 AM (#50150 - in reply to #50099)

Gruvemom - 2006-04-20 5:13 PM

Mitch, I've seen some serious "seekers" around a JF workshop, but not that much "cult". However, I'll be the first to admit that I do OD on the purple kool aid when John's in town.

The energy he's able to create in the room is amazing.  I constantly astonish myself at the level I rise to when I'm practicing with him.

I'm constantly astonish myself at the level I sink to in my "everyday" class.. ;< *

I did not mean to imply that Anusura was a cult, simply that JF seems to be placed on quite a pedestal. That level of yoga celebrity makes me uncomfortable and seems counterproductive - creating a wider separation/duality between teacher and student.

Now, Siddha yoga does seem like a cult - and while the connection between siddha and anusura is discreet, it is there...although it certainly doesn't rise to dahn levels.
tourist
Posted 2006-04-21 10:42 AM (#50152 - in reply to #50150)

Expert Yogi

Mitch - I have definitely got that vibe around JF as well, and that is just from message board stuff. Iyengar teachers are taught to really try not to develop a "personality cult" and to simply be conduits for the teaching. Of course, we each have our own gifts and some are more or less popular for a variety of reasons but I get uncomfortable when there is too much groupie stuff going on. Maybe being a cold, polite Canadian helps
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-21 10:51 AM (#50154 - in reply to #50150)

I know what you meant, Mitch.  I've heard the "cult" word used a bit... I know some teachers who won't use the word "kula" b/c they think it promotes a cult - y feel, or cliqueishness.

Also, I agree that JF gets put on a pedestal a bit. However, he's a REALLY nice guy, so I understand the desire to hold him up as an example.  Last time he was here I spoke to him for 2 minutes about my dh's shoulder issues and asked if he would look at DH.  Now, JF doesn't know me, had never had a conversation with me, and I sprung this request on him in the middle of the last day of a workshop.  Without hesitation, he said 'absolutely'!. IMO, until I experience otherwise, I think he's worthy of at least my admiration.

I don't think he outdoes any of the Rockstar teachers that we know of in terms of celebrity.

As far as I'm concerned, my teachers are just people or friends whom I ask to further my practice and abilities.  We find incredibly special teachers in any style, just like we find bad ones.  We also find the seekers, the obsequious and the everyday normal people who practice with them.

I don't know much about the Siddha side of things.  I can barely get through Patanjali and the Tattvas.... throw Siddha at me and I'm DONE!

Kabu
Posted 2006-04-21 1:42 PM (#50167 - in reply to #50154)

I don't know a thing about Siddha yoga.

Our teachers will use the word "kula" here and there (think I've heard it twice in 2 years), but I've never gotten a cult vibe from the studio. And I'm a pretty good barometer for that sort of thing. If the studio started getting goofy on me, I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

There's a bit of a Buddhist slant to our studio, but it's very slight. I know one of the teachers is a practicing Buddhist, and for a while they had prayer flags in the Kids yoga room (which I thought was cute). They took them down though.
elson
Posted 2006-04-24 4:11 AM (#50358 - in reply to #49617)

Well, Kula just refers to the community of yoga folks, especially the local and global Anusara communities. Many Anusara teachers do a good job of fostering a feeling of community in their classes. I enjoy and value that experience.

A couple things about John being on a pedestal. First, John _is_ held in high regard by many folks, for his skills and willingness to help others. And many of us are very grateful to him for developing and teaching Anusara, because Anusara has been very transformational to our practice. But John does not teach adoration of himself, and he is very humble in accepting thanks and expressions of gratitude.

At the same time, John occasionally teaches the Guru Principle, which (more or less), means that if you really want to learn the teaching of a master, you should immerse yourself in the Master's teaching or style or work as much as possible. For examplem if you want to learn to write like Fred, yhen you should read nothing but Fred's works (for some period of time). Or if you want to learn to race like Lance Armstrong, you should watch his races, and read his interviews and such, and experience everything of Lance that you can.

This could be misinterpreted as cultic, but really is just common sense (at least to the Eastern mind :-). If you want to learn a language, the fastest way is to dive right into an immersion.

A random thought - in Anusara, the exact position of a hand or foot isn't important. It is more important that you have the internal physical balanced, to produce a dynamic balance instead of a static alignment. The intended force balance is more important than the exact angle of the limb on which the forces are operating. Shining is more important than the position of the fingers that express the shine.

So perhaps the teacher is being misinterpreted. Or perhaps the teacher looks at the individual student, and sees that a particular balance can be achieved or restored by a specific external alignment. But be prepared for that particular alignment to be different oin a different day; a different external alignment might be required on a different day to achieve exactly the same energetic balance.

And such as that :-).
bigmamma
Posted 2006-04-24 11:40 AM (#50393 - in reply to #49617)

Hmmm, Anusara, a constant dilemna in my mind. It gave me so much but never sat quite right with me. For example, my former teacher, who claims to be a good friend and student of JF, related an incident in which JF was angrily venting his frustration that people were not following his instructions. My teacher stated that he responded to JF with "John, I will follow you 100%, lead the way" (paraphrased from my memory) and followed this statement to link to our intention for class to embrace to poses without question. Hmmm. I don't know. Too "guru" for me.

A cult cannot exist without a charismatic leader. JF's charisma is very high and his followers are very devoted. The potential for abuse of power is there, but I don't know if there has been actual harm. Yet.

The ever-opinionated,
bigmamma
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-24 1:49 PM (#50411 - in reply to #50358)

if you really want to learn the teaching of a master, you shouldimmerse yourself in the Master's teaching or style or work as much aspossible<<

Agreed! But applicable to any teacher's teachings. All the teacher can do is make you like himself.  Do you like Bryan Kest's teaching?  Then study w/ him. Baron Baptiste or Rodney Yee?  Study w/ them... and your practice and style becomes like theirs.

I liked your post, Elson, esp your take on the alignment theory.

Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-25 11:10 AM (#50456 - in reply to #50393)

wow, Big Mamma.... embrace the poses without question... that simply would not fly with me.  Glad she's a former teacher. I especially find it interesting since I heard JF say (at his last local workshop - I saw the lips moving and heard the words being emoted) that we should question things, that it was good to question things.

JF is very personable and there are some people who are devoted on a scary level, but I think every "big figure" has these... I mean, have ya ever watched Oprah when she really interacts with the audience?  There's always one person there who looks like they've witnessed the second coming to meet her.

Whenever I work a yoga convention, there are people who follow Gurmukh around like lapdogs. Same with Seane Corn, Anna Forrest, on and on. 

bigmamma
Posted 2006-04-25 1:54 PM (#50463 - in reply to #50456)

So true gruvemom, your points about Oprah.

Has the anusara book come out yet? Feels like years . . .
I'm glad JF proposed that it is good to question things. Personally, my impression of JF is that he is generally well-intentioned and congruent with what he believes and practices. However, he himself may be under undue influence. See past posts regarding Gurumayi.

I guess I sit with anusara as being on my "watch it from time to time" list. And yes, I still apply its principles in my practice----there's nothing better!
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-04-25 6:15 PM (#50484 - in reply to #50463)

will definitely check out the posts about Gurumayi.  The book is not out yet.  Supposedly it's finishing up... but everytime they approach finishing, it somehow needs to be rewritten... I think that's the story I heard. It's kind of a joke at this point.
samantha77
Posted 2006-04-26 2:24 PM (#50525 - in reply to #49617)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I took my first Anusara class, and I really liked it. I took a level one class. There was definitely more of a focus on form and alignment than other classes.  I don't know if I like it more than my Ashtanga and Bikram classes though.  I'll have to go a few more times to really know.  I'm going to try an Ishta yoga class this weekend.  Does this make me a yoga floozy?  I can't seem to stick with one kind!

Samantha

Ravi
Posted 2006-04-27 4:48 AM (#50538 - in reply to #50525)

samantha77 - 2006-04-26 2:24 PM

Well, I took my first Anusara class, and I really liked it. I took a level one class. There was definitely more of a focus on form and alignment than other classes.  I don't know if I like it more than my Ashtanga and Bikram classes though.  I'll have to go a few more times to really know.  I'm going to try an Ishta yoga class this weekend.  Does this make me a yoga floozy?  I can't seem to stick with one kind!

Samantha

Hey Now! From one floozy to another its not a bad thing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)