YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanted Info
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

eyan1982
Posted 2006-04-07 12:04 PM (#48916)
Subject: Wanted Info

Hi

i been doing iyengar for 2 and half yrs now and love it so much im no exsport in yoga but enjoy what im caperble of doing now that i couldnt before im also going to the holms gym in manchester to try out Hattha yoga and ashtangha though i find ashtangha the most hardest but i dont go to try and be perfect i go cause its fun and enjoyerble and funny whe n ufall over in front of everyone in the class and u can see sneakerly there laughing at you but know your trying and enjoying your practise but iyengar is my love for the moment i have a fab teacher called padmadarshini at bodywise fab teacher ......

Anyway reason im writing this is becouse i find when i get a little worried and stressed i get aslight headache and want to avoid taking paracetomol tablets etc....i was told from my teacher to do the cobra pose wich i can do alot easier now and just breath easily and nicely also is there anouther way as well i am going to have to skip yoga today ,as my head isnt well...also if there is anyone in manchester(UK) that does iyengar yoga please e'mail me or let me know i want to find some friends i can practise with daily etc xxx thanks for reading this ramberling
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-04-08 1:30 AM (#48972 - in reply to #48916)
Subject: RE: Wanted Info

Expert Yogi

Hi Ian - my brother's name is Ian I find twists are nice for releasing tension and helping with headaches. Also, all the poses where your arms are interlaced, like garudasana (eagle) and gomukhasana (cow's head pose) are helpful. You can do the twists even sitting in a chair, as well as the arms of the other poses - great if you are in school or in a job where you sit a lot. Hope that helps, headaches are dreadful
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-08 1:58 AM (#48974 - in reply to #48916)

I agree with tourist that twists can be useful for headaches, but encourage you to ease into them and listen to your body. My limit for twists is significantly reduced when I'm having serious headaches, though it's still good for me to do them. (I discovered this one day in class when revolved triangle made my migraine blossom in a way it hadn't previously that day... Talk about an unwanted insight! ;-) I think it had more to do with the lung compression than anything else.) As with all yoga, it's a matter of listening to your body. So take those twists carefully, but enjoy them and explore. (Here's a secret I use at work - the bathroom stalls are just about the right size to assist a good spine twist by placing a hand on either 'wall'. ;-) )

I find forward folds the most help for my headaches, particularly bada konasana. While inversions are classically suggested for headaches, anything that puts my head below my heart (even a standing forward fold) is tricky business at best), but my headaches tend to be of the migraine variation, so your mileage may vary. What this mostly points out, however, is that the best way to figure out what to do, is to listen closely to your body - both in what it says would be good to do if a headache hits, and in what makes one worse or seems to make one a little easier to deal with. It can be hard to read the subtle signals sometimes, but it's all a part of the journey.
eyan1982
Posted 2006-04-08 8:22 AM (#48981 - in reply to #48916)

Hi

Thankyou guys though im not familiur with sanskrit yoga names lucky i have a iyengar yoga book isnt i hehe ill try looking them up later but thankyou xx

oh where you both from im from manchester(UK)
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-08 12:19 PM (#48985 - in reply to #48916)

lol :-) I don't know a good english name for bada konasana. I've heard cobblers and bound angle, I think.

I'm in Washington, USA (missing my previous home of 27 years, California. :-( oh, sometimes change IS hard).
tourist
Posted 2006-04-08 3:00 PM (#48993 - in reply to #48985)

Expert Yogi

Washington is the Canada of Oregon I am just above NE in British Columbia, Canada.

Yes, I should have qualified all of that. Twists are especially good in the beginning stages of a tension headache. They can loosen up a tight neck and shoulders and help head it off at the pass. Anything done while you have a headache (especially a real migraine) must be done with extreme caution Forward bends are a pretty safe bet. I like to use the seat of a chair to rest my head and if it is a nice, cool metal chair, so much the better. But for some, that is excrutiating and a soft head rest is more appropriate. For someone who is just starting yoga and also new to having headaches, it will be a bit of trial and error and a good teacher will be a big help.

Do look into other causes of headaches - too much caffeine or trying to quit caffeine can be problems, too much sugar can give really awful rebound headaches. Not enough sleep, too much sleep....it is endless and a whole other forum would be required. Good luck and I hope yours are just small headaches that go away soon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)