YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inversion help needed
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-05 5:20 AM (#48693)
Subject: Inversion help needed

My Iyengar teacher has helped me to get the courage to invert (finally!). To start, she has been showing me how to use a chair and blocks for plough pose. I have trouble getting my lower back off the floor. Currently my teacher starts me rolling and then I can manage to get the elevation myself. This poses problems for practising at home. The odd thing is that it does not seem to be a matter of muscle strength but of getting my lumbar/sacral muscles to understand what my brain is telling them. Does anyone have any tips?

Regards,

Fiona
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-04-05 9:05 AM (#48701 - in reply to #48693)
Subject: RE: Inversion help needed

Expert Yogi

Fee - it takes some time for some of us to get up and over on our own. Part of it is that for women, we have a lower center of gravity and that makes the initial "up and over" part a bit harder. If you have a longer torso and carry weight more on the hips (*sigh* like me...) then you have a bit more work to do. But all is not lost! First of all, don't think about getting your feet to the chair (or floor). Think about getting your knees into your chest. Then you can give a little boost with your hands and quickly straighten your legs and that will sometimes make it work. You can also position yourself close to a wall so you can walk your feet up the wall. That's what I had to do for quite awhile. Practice coming out of the pose very slowly, keeping your shoulders down on your blankets, knees to chest and legs straight. That will help you develop the muscles needed for going up. Most of all you need to relax your throat and not hold your breath going up. Being tense sucks up a lot of the energy you need to get you up and over.

Congratulations on being upside down! I don't know if it actually makes you younger, as they say in the texts, but it sure makes me *feel* younger
Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-05 11:35 AM (#48713 - in reply to #48701)

Thanks Tourist. Yes, I'm overweight and my legs are long compared with the rest of me so the centre of gravity thing's certainly an issue. I find it difficult to get from the legs at 90 degrees stage so your tip on curling up and then straightening the legs makes sense, as does the controlled descent.

Funnily enough, I found the wall version more difficult than the chair, but that may have been due to the wall being my first attempt and the chair my second.

Being in the position is hard on my breathing. I get enough lift in the torso, and am lying back on blocks but my chest still constrains my throat (we're back to practising bra-less at home here being better than bra'd at class ). As I'm claustrophobic, all seated forward bends also give me this issue. Guess I have to keep working on that surrendering into the pose thing, right?!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-04-05 11:36 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-04-05 1:49 PM (#48723 - in reply to #48713)

Expert Yogi

Fee - I heartily dislike the wall version (where you are close to the wall) of sarvangasana myself, but if you go far enough away from the wall, you can just use it as a tool to walk up and then go over onto the chair. Remember to press down the outer shoulders (where the shoulder seam of a shirt is) and make a bridge for your neck. Also do press your head into the floor a little. That helps create some breathing room also. I don't think we EVER get enough lift in shoulderstand. Perhaps when we reach the level of levitation, that will be enough
Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-06 6:14 AM (#48787 - in reply to #48723)

*LOL* Tourist, you sound like my Iyengar teacher.... if she had her way, we'd all lift so far as to be a flat smear on the ceiling! She's got an amazing way of making you believe you could though (http://www.marynikeryoga.com/)

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-04-06 10:42 AM (#48798 - in reply to #48787)

Expert Yogi

Yes, we do tend to sound alike, don't we? I tell students that if I were to turn the room upside down while they are in shoulderstand they should land perfectly upright balancing on the balls of their feet

Mary's site is gorgeous! Check it out for the photos of the partner down dogs on the huge rocks.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-06 11:09 AM (#48801 - in reply to #48798)

She's pretty gorgeous too.

I know the photo you mean.... it's totally ace and reflects the way she occassionally slips in a balletic partner yoga pose for use to do in class.

She teaches at various workshops and retreats all over the planet. It's best to contact her though as I know the list on her site is not complete. Since going to Italy with her earlier this year, she's been trying to persude me to go on the Brasilian trip next Spring :-)

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)