YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Benefits of Herb Acetyl L-Carn
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Jacob3
Posted 2006-04-04 1:00 AM (#48599)
Subject: Benefits of Herb Acetyl L-Carn

Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) a natural remedy super antioxidant, occurring form of L-carnitine that specifically benefits the brain. ALCAR helps supply the brain with energy by improving energetics in the mitochondrion, the cell's energy generator. ALCAR promotes biosynthesis of acetylcholine, a key neurotransmitter for brain and nerve function. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has been shown in clinical studies to benefit cognitive ability, memory and mood.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
trepidation
Posted 2006-06-09 4:48 AM (#55276 - in reply to #48599)
Subject: RE: Benefits of Herb Acetyl L-Carn

that's good then! I mus try it
naturally336
Posted 2006-06-09 9:07 AM (#55291 - in reply to #48599)

In regards to L-Acetylcarnitine(or carnitine, the L simple refers to it coming from a plant or animal source which is considered more compatible with human biochemistry, while the acetyl is simple another form of carnitne...of course that is much simplified) while it might be a great supplement for some, it's not an herb. It's an amino acid, and just for informational purposes in case someone is unaware, amino acids are the building blocks of protein. There are 29 common amino acids, most the body makes on it's own, provided the necessary nutrients are there to begin with. This one comes primarily from red meat, and can be manufactured in the body if sufficient amounts of the B vitamins, lysine and iron are present. Since many people dealing with Alzheimer's are found to be deficient in several of the vitamin B's, some studies have shown a corresponding decline in carnitine in the system. When supplemented with carnitine marked improvements have been shown in preliminary studies, but much more research should be done before everyone starts assuming that taking a single amino acid supplement will reverse or improve such conditions.

Now granted, vegetarians have been shown to be much more susceptible to deficiencies in carnitine, but also many of the vit. B's in general(since these are found primarily in red meat). It's possible(likely) that simple adding a good B-complex to their diet would be more helpful for most. Unless, of course, a deficiency is known.

Of course there is much more to all this, but I'm trying not to write out a huge dissertation on amino acids and bore everyone. But in general, we're not made up of single substances, it's a process of Many combining in various ways. You can't expect miracles from taking single supplements, especially without knowing if you even need that one in particular. If you know that you're prone to having a deficiency, perhaps it would be wiser to take the building blocks of that and allowing the body to do what it is designed to do. Certainly would be cheaper and possibly more helpful in that it would keep other deficiencies from occurring.

Of course that's all just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Be Well,
Selena
tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 10:52 AM (#55307 - in reply to #55291)

Expert Yogi

Selena - I am totally with you on this. I don't know why we think it is ok to break down a plant to molecular form and take one tiny part of it in gigantic quantities compared to how it occurs in nature. Personally, I would prefer to take mainstream pharmaceuticals since they are regulated and tested far more extensively than these so-called "natural" products.
naturally336
Posted 2006-06-09 11:33 AM (#55311 - in reply to #55307)

Well, if you think about it, breaking down the plant to it's component parts, isolating one and then synthesizing it is exactly what the pharmaceuticals do. Personally, I think that since our bodies have evolved from taking in natural substances(food, rich with the sources of all those vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids...) that we're better able to use natural sources then synthetic ones. However, since so many of these necessary building blocks(vit, minerals...) work Together, trying to isolate one and taking Just that isn't really helpful to homeostasis(our natural state of health). You're just causing an imbalance on the other end as the body will need to work harder to remove the excess. Plus if you don't have the others that go along with it for proper absorbtion and useage, it's mostly useless for whatever you "think" you're taking it for anyways.

In an ideal world, we'd get all the nutrients we need from our diet. But honestly how many of us really do that? Very few eat healthy rainbows of foods every day. Then there also has to be taken into account that simple due to farming practices, even if you are eating whole fruits, veggies, grains, meats...all organic, you're still unlikely to get everything needed because our soils are much more depleted now then they once were, so the food grown from them isn't as highly nutritional to begin with. Then you throw in all the stress factors that we now deal with that weren't part of life a few generations back, and you realize that many of us do have deficiencies. Sad, but true. (I can provide studies if you'd like) So unfortunately, many of us do need supplements. BUT, one should also educate themselves First to know just what is necessary rather then just jumping on some marketing ploy and deciding that a pill will fix everything. Health can't be simplified so easily.

Oy, there I go again. Sorry. It's a large subject and not one that can adequately be covered in a few sentences. But I'll quietly step off the soapbox and back away before I start really carrying on.
Be Well,
Selena
tourist
Posted 2006-06-09 3:47 PM (#55342 - in reply to #55311)

Expert Yogi

Creating those imbalances is one of those things tha tI wish the medical community would get their heads around. They like to fill us up with stuff that (face it, for some of us it is) they think is helpful, but never consider the consequences other than studying to see if it causes cancer in rats. Like people never die of anything else The current "news" about my particular situation is that long time users of the meds I take for reflux can cause B 12 deficiency. My GP, who is a good guy and keeps up on things as a rule, seemed a little surprised that I knew this, but suggested we check it out in my next round of blood tests. Good idea! I've been taking this stuff for years already!

Ack. If I could handle the disgusting diets I'd go back to the naturopath and if I could handle electro-shock therapy it causes me, I'd go back to the accupuncturist. Heck, if I thought I could handle the migraines he is sure I won't get if I fasted, I"d even take Neel's advice and go down to his place for treatment. One day the correct treatment will apear. A bit like looking for a guru
naturally336
Posted 2006-06-11 10:06 AM (#55465 - in reply to #55342)

tourist - 2006-06-09 3:47 PM
The current "news" about my particular situation is that long time users of the meds I take for reflux can cause B 12 deficiency. My GP, who is a good guy and keeps up on things as a rule, seemed a little surprised that I knew this, but suggested we check it out in my next round of blood tests. Good idea! I've been taking this stuff for years already!

Oy. Sorry to hear about that. May I ask which med it is? I know quite a few on meds for reflux and would like to pass on the info.

Ack. If I could handle the disgusting diets I'd go back to the naturopath and if I could handle electro-shock therapy it causes me, I'd go back to the accupuncturist. Heck, if I thought I could handle the migraines he is sure I won't get if I fasted, I"d even take Neel's advice and go down to his place for treatment. One day the correct treatment will apear. A bit like looking for a guru

Yeah, it is difficult, the whole detective aspect of it. That's a lot of what I enjoy about it though, the researching and then if you actually Do find the correct combination that helps, Wow, what a wonderful feeling. Unfortunately, while science is providing us with new information all the time, so much is still an unknown that I completely understand why so many that suffer simply can't deal with the process. Especially if they know that the meds they're already on relieve their pain. Unfortunate though that so often those same meds end up causing other problems. As you say, one day the correct treatment will appear.
Be Well,
Selena
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)