YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acupuncture?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

mvarkonda
Posted 2006-03-27 6:27 PM (#47950)
Subject: Acupuncture?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried acupuncture. If so I would like to know if it really works and it would help me to quit smoking Very Bad "habit"(or addiction)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-27 8:05 PM (#47955 - in reply to #47950)
Subject: RE: Acupuncture?

Hi Michelle,

I'm a licensed acupuncturist and I do lots of acupuncture for smoking cessation. It really does work. What's even better is laser "acupuncture" for smoking cessation. The laser is really amazing. I also use a cold laser in my treatments, especially for quitting smoking and the results are AMAZING! I mean 1 - 2 treatments! (I sound like an awful infomercial - sorry!)

Check out this site www.acupuncturetoday.com for a referral in your state. Hopefully you live somewhere you'll have lots of people to choose from. As always, word of mouth is best. If it worked for your neighbor's aunt Sally then chances are it'll work for you.

PM me if you would like more info

Orbilia
Posted 2006-03-28 4:21 AM (#47982 - in reply to #47955)

Anyone I know who's tried acupuncture for anything has been blown away by the result (my allergies have dramatically reduced in severity for e.g.). I say go for it and good luck with quitting.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-28 8:04 AM (#47998 - in reply to #47982)

Expert Yogi

Fee, is that you?? I can't deal with this, first Tourist now you...I'm blown away,

Acupuncture is really good, I love it...but more importantly, make sure you find someone who really understands what acupuncture is so you can get the full benefits of it. Good luck.
mkotya
Posted 2006-03-28 9:00 AM (#48000 - in reply to #47955)

Thanks for the website link, Fifi! It has a lot of useful information.

I know of someone who quit smoking after 35 years with the help of acupuncture, and she was a chain smoker. One condition of her treatment is that she was required to not smoke a single cigarette for 24 (or 48, don't remember exactly) hours before the acupuncture session. She had terrible withdrawal symptoms and was doing quite badly by the end of that period. I believe she had just one treatment and never touched a cigarette again. A combination of her will power and acupuncture really did it!

I personally never tried acupuncture, but I tried acupressure massage and must say its quality truly depends on person's intentions and skills. Luckily, my experiences have been only positive.

Best of luck, Michelle!

Edited by mkotya 2006-03-28 9:16 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2006-03-28 10:52 AM (#48008 - in reply to #47998)

Is what me, Cyndi? *ggg*

And yes, the last time I looked it was me *wg*

Fee/Fiona
mvarkonda
Posted 2006-03-28 3:41 PM (#48058 - in reply to #47950)

What would you say is the best for the job the regular acupuncture or the laser. There are both options by were I live the Laser is a little more pricier but I just want to do what works the best.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-28 5:03 PM (#48070 - in reply to #47950)

My first response is laser for smoking cessation. I live in Las Vegas and there are lots of little shops that have technicians performing the laser on acupuncture points they downloaded from the internet. I suppose for all practical purposes that will get the job done. But, truly, there's nothing like a classically educated, well trained and licensed acupuncturists to utilize the acupuncture points most effectively, either using a laser or needles.

Where do you live? Places like California, Florida, New York, Washington State and Oregon have several of acupunturists to choose from.

I'd ask people in your neck of the woods who they would recommend. Maybe there's a old, blind Japanese acupuncturist who uses needles and point combination in a way that is miraculous.

(Don't laugh, there's an acupunture school in Japan for blind people)

msflex
Posted 2006-05-26 3:28 AM (#53962 - in reply to #47950)

I have been going to acupuncturist for over 25 years. I have only used Chinese acupuncturist and I particularly like the ones that came from China but have studied both chinese and western medicine. They get the best of both worlds. Still, nothing beats experience. I'd say the best ones are between late 20's/early 30's to mid/late 50's. Also if they do massage right after it is the best. Many of them use electric-stim(ulation). It is okay but really good ones don't need that. I have shoulder/neck pain and lower back pain. I used to go to accupucture once a week for maintenance. It gets worse when I am stress or busy at work. Accupuncture doesn't cure problem but generally can help a great deal with easing or eliminating pain. I don't have any first hand experience with smoke ceasation so I don't have anything to say about that. But it is worth a try if nothing else work.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-26 9:58 AM (#53991 - in reply to #47950)

My 400-year old acupuncturist is pretty awesome. Yes, he's Chinese. Actually, Taiwanese. And he's been around since Mao and the Cultural Revolution in China. Therefore, he knows Daoist acupuncture. The younger ones learn Communist acupuncture.

China was ruled by Emperors until Chairman Mao took over and shook things up. Mao thought China was backwards and wanted China to adopt more Western ways, especially in technology. This had an affect on their beloved Chinese medicine system.

There is definitely something magical about the old-timers that seem to know what's wrong with you by simply looking at you.
blissgirl
Posted 2006-05-26 10:53 AM (#54003 - in reply to #53991)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-26 6:58 AM

My 400-year old acupuncturist is pretty awesome. Yes, he's Chinese. Actually, Taiwanese. And he's been around since Mao and the Cultural Revolution in China. Therefore, he knows Daoist acupuncture. The younger ones learn Communist acupuncture.

China was ruled by Emperors until Chairman Mao took over and shook things up. Mao thought China was backwards and wanted China to adopt more Western ways, especially in technology. This had an affect on their beloved Chinese medicine system.

There is definitely something magical about the old-timers that seem to know what's wrong with you by simply looking at you.

Hi Fifi,

I've been looking for an acupuncurist like that! Glad to hear you found one. I live in a smaller town, but we have all sorts of 'healers', but none a day over 100!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-26 11:09 AM (#54007 - in reply to #53991)

Expert Yogi

Hey Fifi,

My TCMD is like that too!! He is in his 50's, but he is ancient too. They are incredible aren't they? He is definitely what I consider a Daoist, not a communist Acupuncturist. Talking about knowing exactly what is up. Funny, a *true* Daoist acupuncturist will not only know what is up, but has a way of manipulating the energy in a most unique manner to allow the body to run smoothly...even though there may be all sorts of things going on. This is a lost art indeed.

My doc is back in China for a visit to his homeland....he's bringing me back some really good Jasmine Tea,

Once you ever have the experience of working with a doctor like this, you will never go back to western medicine. It is far superior than anything we have here in the west, its just misunderstood because it makes you think of the human body as system in different terms.....although, we do have fancy expensive machines here in the west don't we??

Posted 2006-05-26 4:54 PM (#54059 - in reply to #47950)

here in PA we have a lot of good acupuncturists too.

and admittedly, i don't have a TCMD or another sort of 'alternative practitioner' but i really avoid western medicine like the plague. lol!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-26 7:04 PM (#54067 - in reply to #47950)

Nothing wrong with western medicine if you've just been shot, stabbed, run over, or fallen off a cliff.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-26 7:28 PM (#54068 - in reply to #54067)

Expert Yogi

That all depends GJ. Like some md's are too "surgical" happy for me or the dreaded, "we have to remove this part of your body because...."...un-necessarily cause we don't know WTF else to do cause we don't know what we are doing syndrome. Unfortunately the good doctors are mingled in with the bad ones and you never know which one your gonna git. I have strict orders for my family to call my TCMD in the event of anything that should happen to me. ANYTHING Unusual.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-27 12:42 AM (#54079 - in reply to #47950)

Once again, western medicine is battlefield medicine, so if your life is going to end in the next 15 minutes due to massive trauma, I'd take them anyday. I've yet to hear much about TCM doing much with gaping wounds. For that matter I've yet to hear about the TCM penicillin, vaccination, or advanced birthing techniques.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-27 12:46 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-27 9:36 AM (#54089 - in reply to #54079)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I have some Chinese Herbs that heal gapping wounds much faster than your Neosporin and stitches - ask all my animals and children. So what is your point GJ?? Isn't it wonderful that TCM doesn't have penicillin and vaccination and such....they don't need it because they treat the body as a system. Instead of using just penicillin and vaccinations, they treat not only the causes but the symptoms...it is a COMPLETE medicine. There are some very powerful Chinese Herbs that are much stronger and more effective than western medicine. Western medicine only covers up and masks symptoms, it does not heal. Chinese medicine goes to the root, western medicine barely scratches the surface when it comes to healing. Sure, chinese medicine may take longer to work...but in the long run and looking at the long term, it is much better. Like I said, western medicine only masks symptoms, it doesn't heal. That is why so many westerner's have cancer and why so many die every day from unknown causes. It's BS. Ripping out your organs, invasive surgery, and using chemicals is not a good medicine...sorry.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-27 11:25 AM (#54103 - in reply to #47950)

Really don't understand medicine do you?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-27 11:42 AM (#54104 - in reply to #54103)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-05-27 11:25 AM

Not at all, GJ.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-27 1:22 PM (#54112 - in reply to #54104)

Cyndi - 2006-05-27 11:42 AM

Not at all, GJ.

Sorry, that was uncalled for on my part. I let my worst half get the better of me.

My point is simply this. It sounds like you're all throwing out the baby with the bath water. Western medicine has made tremendous improvements in basic overall quality of life issues that have nothing to do with fixing symptoms, or over charging people. The virtual irradication of some of worse diseases know to man can be accredited to western medicine. So when I hear people talking down about western medicine it really irkes me because it indicates a fundamental lack of understanding of the contributions that western medicine has made.

Any why is there is lack of understanding?

Because it has done it's job so effectively that nobody for generations has had to deal with the horrific effects of diseases such as polio, small pox, or TB.

Now, it's not perfect, but nothing ever is.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-27 6:34 PM (#54123 - in reply to #54112)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-05-27 1:22 PM

Cyndi - 2006-05-27 11:42 AM

Not at all, GJ.

Sorry, that was uncalled for on my part. I let my worst half get the better of me.

My point is simply this. It sounds like you're all throwing out the baby with the bath water. Western medicine has made tremendous improvements in basic overall quality of life issues that have nothing to do with fixing symptoms, or over charging people. The virtual irradication of some of worse diseases know to man can be accredited to western medicine. So when I hear people talking down about western medicine it really irkes me because it indicates a fundamental lack of understanding of the contributions that western medicine has made.

Any why is there is lack of understanding?

Because it has done it's job so effectively that nobody for generations has had to deal with the horrific effects of diseases such as polio, small pox, or TB.

Now, it's not perfect, but nothing ever is.

TCMD is over 5,000 years old. It has been working effectively all this time. These facts that you state is nothing new to TCMD and other ancient medicines. Western Medicine did not erradicate these types of diseases like you think, you are brainwashed..that is what they want you to think so you will keep spending your $$$.

Anyway, I will not argue this with you. I know what works for me and my family and that is what I intend to keep doing. It's worked for over 15 years for me and it worked when Western medicine failed and failed and failed. There are millions of others just like me who are fed up with the system of western medicine. We know what is good for us. You can have all the western medicine you want. I won't be brainwashed nor manipulated.

Using the term "throwing the baby out with the bath water" does not apply in my mind nor does it apply with my principals.
blissgirl
Posted 2006-05-28 1:28 AM (#54136 - in reply to #54123)

Hi Cyndi-

This is off topic, but I really like your sig. The quote from your friend Atul. It opened my heart~

Bella
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)