YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Colon Cleanse
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Posted 2006-04-04 1:01 PM (#48641 - in reply to #47926)
Subject: RE: Colon Cleanse

miso is fabulous. i have a 'red miso' that i really like--and it's low sodium too. fermented foods, in general, are quite good for ya.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-04-04 6:52 PM (#48665 - in reply to #48641)

Expert Yogi

Personally I am not really fond of fermented foods and use them very sparingly in my diet. They have a tendency to produce dampness which is something I'm very vulnerable to due to my constitution. I did however find this interesting statement about Miso and the different colors. Miso's quality used to be questionable here in the USA, but that has changed drastically over the years. The recommendations for Miso are as followed:

Darker and longer fermented Miso - Colder Climates

Lighter and less fermented Miso - Warmer Climates

Red and moderately fermented Miso - moderate climates and year around

I keep the light Miso on hand because it works better for me. You have to play around with it to see which one works for your body's constitution. I strongly discourage the use of the darker miso's for the climate here in the USA. The darker miso is also much saltier.

Another interesting note: There is a thing called Natto Miso. It is the traditional chutney of rural Japan, made from soybeans, barley, barley malt, kombu, ginger, and sea salt. I thought that was interesting seeing as how we were discussing Miso.
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-09 12:23 AM (#64073 - in reply to #48641)

zoebird - 2006-04-04 1:01 PM

fermented foods, in general, are quite good for ya.

Hmmmm.. interesting, that's exactly the opposite of what my nutritionist has told me..
I'll have to explore this more with her...
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-09 12:34 AM (#64074 - in reply to #47926)

For a vegetarian broth, a couple of tricks I like to add- pineapple core for a "brighter" broth- for an Asian soup base- for a "darker" broth, toasted fenugreek seeds- there is an earthiness that they add that really enriches the broth..
And then my normal stuff apply- carrot, celery, onion, ginger, garlic, mushroom (for umami), sometimes fennel..
And Cyndi- you can also get dark leafy happiness with kale, collards, romaine (yes, this does count and is wonderful sauteed), spinach.. it doesn't have to be Asian greens that can sometimes be more difficult to find. Yeah, swamp lettuce is cool, but it's not practical for most people to find.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-08 10:03 PM (#73329 - in reply to #64074)

Expert Yogi

joscmt - 2006-09-09 12:34 AM

For a vegetarian broth, a couple of tricks I like to add- pineapple core for a "brighter" broth- for an Asian soup base- for a "darker" broth, toasted fenugreek seeds- there is an earthiness that they add that really enriches the broth..
And then my normal stuff apply- carrot, celery, onion, ginger, garlic, mushroom (for umami), sometimes fennel..
And Cyndi- you can also get dark leafy happiness with kale, collards, romaine (yes, this does count and is wonderful sauteed), spinach.. it doesn't have to be Asian greens that can sometimes be more difficult to find. Yeah, swamp lettuce is cool, but it's not practical for most people to find.

Hey Jsmct,

I just saw this post...hmmm. I really don't like Fenugreek. In Indian land, it is called Methi. It stinks the whole house up when Satyam cooks with it. I usually ban him from cooking at least a week afterwards, So, instead I bought the powder form so he could have his Indian Cuisine. Actually, methi tea is really good for you when at the first onset of a cold or flu.

As for the greens. I don't really like kale that much, but I do eat collards and turnip greens. However, once you get hooked on asian greens, its hard to go back. I feel so much healthier eating them, because I feel they are more nutritious and have more to offer - not too mention a large variety to choose from. You would love Satyam's Malanga...it looks like Elephant Ear leaves. There is is special way you have to cook it, otherwise, its very difficult to digest. But, it will clean your whole system out...as he says, clear out all those all germs..
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-13 9:34 PM (#73991 - in reply to #47926)

I always wondered if Methi was fenugreek. Looked and smelled the same to me, but I wasn't sure. My husband hates it too.. to me, when it's brewed into a "tea", it tastes like a rich broth. I really like it a lot. I like Asian greens too.. just for different applications..
This week, I made a simple stew out of bok choy, tomatoes, onions, and garlic- very simple but the bitterness of "adult" bok choy was just great!
feb
Posted 2008-11-17 8:33 PM (#111997 - in reply to #47926)
Subject: Re: Colon Cleanse

Hi all, Iposted this in beginners post but got no replies. I tried a colon cleanse that is on my video by dharma mitra. 4 tbls. sea salt 1gallon and 1/3 spring water. Drink 4 glasses of it right down, then 1 glass every 2 min. moving aroud between each drink. That part worked and i was clean as a whistle, but I'v e been feeling yuccy and have been able to move my bowels since that was 5 days ago. what do you think, I even took milk of magnesia.

feb
Cyndi
Posted 2008-11-17 9:15 PM (#111998 - in reply to #111997)

Expert Yogi

All these colon cleanse's tend to screw with the intestinal memory - Bigtime, and are very unhealthy, even though at first they appear to have good results. I have posted about this many times. I'll have to go back and find the article that an Ayurvedic friend of mine wrote about this..it's very important. The best thing you can do for your colon is to eat the right diet, get the proper amount of rest and exercise. Balance and moderation is everything.
fechter03
Posted 2008-12-17 2:24 AM (#112373 - in reply to #111998)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2008-11-17 9:15 PM

All these colon cleanse's tend to screw with the intestinal memory - Bigtime, and are very unhealthy, even though at first they appear to have good results. I have posted about this many times. I'll have to go back and find the article that an Ayurvedic friend of mine wrote about this..it's very important. The best thing you can do for your colon is to eat the right diet, get the proper amount of rest and exercise. Balance and moderation is everything.

i really agree with this. supposedly we have building up in the colon that took years to develop. why should the cleansing happen over night or over a period of days if the buildup took YEARS??
Cyndi
Posted 2008-12-17 8:29 AM (#112376 - in reply to #112373)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2008-12-17 2:24 AM

i really agree with this. supposedly we have building up in the colon that took years to develop. why should the cleansing happen over night or over a period of days if the buildup took YEARS??

EXACTLY! Oriental doctors are very serious about this very important factor when it comes to treating the human body. Aggressive attacks on the system will lead to disharmony and must be balanced. The art of oriental and I'm including Ayurveda in this too, healing is all about balance and harmony. Most people do not have a clue about what that entails...especially here in the West when we live in a society that expects instant results for EVERYTHING we do. This is not just about the human body, it works in all aspects of our lives, our relationship to nature, each other, the seasons....our environments. It's actually quite amazing once you figure it out....and realize how simple it is.
anna
Posted 2008-12-26 10:49 AM (#112530 - in reply to #112376)

just a note in relation to colon cleanses and detox in general. sometimes people think they can use techniques to clean themselves and then go back to their normal way of eating and not taking much care..it is far better to keep the techniques to a minimum and take more care in the day to day things like what we eat/drink. its easy to do harsh detoxing and then get lazy with the diet afterwards...colon cleansing can deplete the body massively and should really only be done under instruction from someone who knows whether it is suitable....messing around with these things can do more harm that good.

in traditional chinese philosophy short grain brown rice is the food of the colon, esp when made into conjee, means cooking over a very low heat in alot of water for several hours. a teaspoon of linseeds soaked in small amount of water for two hours and drunk (the lot) twice a day will lubricate the intestines beautifully. and ofcourse good old fashioned water should be consumed at 2 litres minimum a day...i would say to keep colon cleansing down to a minimum, maybe following the seasonal cleansing times such as equinoxes and solstices when the body naturally cleans up and support that...

Posted 2008-12-26 1:30 PM (#112534 - in reply to #112530)

Colon cleansing should not be self diagnosed. Unless there is illness or you don't drink adequate water, the colon cleanses itself. If you are ill, you need advice (both diagnosis and treatment) from a qualified professional.
Marina
Posted 2011-12-16 9:29 AM (#209632 - in reply to #47926)

New User

Well i heard that some kinds of alternative medicine also could solve this problem.For example aquamagnetotherapy.It is absolutely safe and painless treatment and you can combine it with yoga exercises.I recommend you to real following article and learn smth more about magneto-therapy.eu
jpg
Posted 2011-12-16 4:34 PM (#209639 - in reply to #209632)

Colon cleansing serves no purpose and can be actually very harmful. It is dangerous and usually simply a way to seperate a sucker from his/her money.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)