YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

---
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-25 7:55 PM (#47768)
Subject: ---

This may sound weird but I have a bad cold along with blocked eustachian tubes (ears). In fact, I can't hear out of my right ear at all, it's so blocked.
Any natural therapies I can try to alleviate the ear pressure and blockage?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-03-25 8:13 PM (#47769 - in reply to #47768)
Subject: RE: ---

How about the ole netti kiddo?
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-25 10:31 PM (#47775 - in reply to #47768)

Will it fit in my ear?

Just kidding.......yeah, that's not a bad idea. In fact, I think I'm going to do it.

Posted 2006-03-26 7:41 AM (#47786 - in reply to #47775)

Oh you witty one....any relief?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-26 9:17 AM (#47790 - in reply to #47768)

Expert Yogi

Kristin,

There's nothing on the market that is going to help with that ear blockage, except acupuncture. I'm serious. Of course, eventually it will go away and work itself out, who knows how long that could be though. However, there is one cure that I do know of if you can handle it. A drop of garlic oil in the ear canal once a day helps clear ear infections. The oil mollifies the acrid quality of the garlic, making this a safe remedy even for children. To prepare it, crush several cloves of garlic and soak in three ounces of olive oil for at least three days. Then strain the oil through a cheesecloth or tight strainer. If you do this, I hope you dont have any place fancy to go, your friends and neighbors won't be able to deal with you,

Once I had this fancy charity ball to attend. I just had some Chinese cupping done on my back which leaves some nasty looking purple marks on your skin. I had to wear this dress without a back..what a trip, my best friend at the time was freakin' out...she put makeup all over my back to cover the marks for this charity...it was so funny. I was like, can't I just wear a different dress??

I personally would do the acupuncture..it doesn't hurt that bad and it relieves the pressure on the ear and more, it will zap that cold out of you too! Eat some fresh chopped garlic too for that cold.

Take care,

P.S. Don't do the neti for ear blockage...especially if you aren't familiar with it. It could make matters more worse with infection and contamination to the ear.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-26 9:21 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-03-26 10:28 AM (#47800 - in reply to #47768)

Expert Yogi

Mia - twists can really be helpful for ear things. If you can stand being upside down, going down dog/updog with a lot of repeats can sometimes shake things loose, too. Feel better soon!
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-26 12:18 PM (#47812 - in reply to #47768)

Thanks, girls. Some good advice there. It's starting to drain a bit but is still making me nuts!! Every time I move I hear "swoosh swoosh".
My grandmother (who passed a week ago) always used garlic and olive oil in my ears to prevent/cure infections. The plus side of that? No vampire ever got near me. It seemed to heal the pain and infection, though.

Posted 2006-03-26 12:41 PM (#47815 - in reply to #47812)

Sorry Mia about your grandmother. Thanks for the tips on easing and relieving stuffy ears. When I flew, I had this problem all of the time. It drove me crazy! I could never hear a passenger order a drink, thus they had to scream it to me. Descending was the worst and attacked both the nose and ears! I hate that white noise feeling, Mia. I hope you get to feeling better. Nothing worked for me, meds or anything. I wish I would have known about this website earlier!
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-26 4:37 PM (#47850 - in reply to #47768)

That's exactly the problem. I caught this on my flight to Atlanta to catch my connecting flight to Ohio. The guy in front of me was coughing, sneezing, and spewing mucous all over Creation. Nice, huh?
I was deathly sick on my flight back to Florida and the air pressure changes made my already stuffed ears feel like they were going to explode. What I've been doing is pinching my nose, closing my mouth, and blowing hard to "pop" my ears. It finally started working today. I can hear out of my right ear right now.
Altitude changes bother me terribly even when I'm not sick. Flying, parasailing, or diving can be painful experiences. It doesn't take much of a pressure change to do it.

Posted 2006-03-26 7:25 PM (#47864 - in reply to #47850)

Mira-

I had the same problems with scubadiving also. PADI has chaged their rules since I was certified years ago and they say it is OK to take a decongestant prior to your drive. An ENT told me the same thing. I have crooked ear canals and I had problems with them as a kid getting full of ear wax and not being able to hear. Yuck! I try to never fly with a cold or sinus problems due to the ear thing.

Flight attendants have been known to fly and have their eardrums burst due to the pressure inside the ear. Not a pretty sight...I have never seen it, but I have felt like they would. I would take a decongestant about 12 hours prior to my flight if I felt anything; sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Warm compresses on the ears helped me the most during descent.

If I have to clear my ears, I yawn. I have done the blowing while scubadiving and found blood in my mask from trying to clear my ears. Yuck. It is hard for me to dive now.
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-26 7:43 PM (#47866 - in reply to #47790)

Ugh, my ears hurt just reading this thread. If I fly with a cold *wham!* instant ear infection, and I'm plugged up for at least 3 weeks or more.

How would I go about finding a decent acupuncture...er acupunctur...ist...person? (What are they called anyway?)
Orbilia
Posted 2006-03-27 4:44 AM (#47901 - in reply to #47866)

The flying and inner ear thing happened to me just recently :-(

I haven't tried this one yet but my GP told me his Grandmother's favourite remedy for sinusitis (she was an Ayuveda practioner) was a little mustard oil placed just under each nostril.

Another I haven't tried yet is that I'm told placing half an onion to the ear for several minutes will help (I assume the onion drips into the ear in a similar manner to the garlic suggestion earlier).

You may find antibiotics are the only solution though. I practise Neti, stage 1 and use steam inhalation but those pesky Eustacian tubes are really difficult to get open once they really jam.

Massage can also help as tension in the shoulders and neck can cause pressure on the tubes.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-03-27 4:47 AM
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-27 3:28 PM (#47939 - in reply to #47768)

I have finally cleared them. I am using a massage technique a friend taught me. I place my index finger under my ears where the eustachian tubes are and apply a firm, downward stroke. That seems to help.
My ears drive me nuts. I had my right eardrum burst 13 years ago from fluid build up and it took forever to heal completely. Decongestants help but I still have to physically work the fluid out once it is in there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)