YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ovarian cysts?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

greenvj
Posted 2006-03-22 10:38 PM (#47528)
Subject: ovarian cysts?

I have had pain in my lower abdomin for four months. Finally, my nurse felt a lump on my left ovaries, which she said is an enlarged cyst. She also felt one on my right side, but not as large. I am a college student out of state, so I don't have coverage from insurance to see a ob/gyn. I went to a local clinic, and I don't know if I should trust them. I am a runner and do yoga and pilates, but I don't want to be damaging anything by these activities. I have some nausea, pretty severe pain (I notice it gets worse before my period) and I am fatigued. I haven't gotten anywhere talking to doctors, all they do is bloodwork. I am really nervous that I could be damaging my reproductive system. I will see a gynecologist in mid May, but any advice you all could give me, or any info would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am making things worse by worrying so much. My stomach is painful to the touch, and my periods are almost non existant.
What are my possible diagnosis?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-23 11:46 AM (#47584 - in reply to #47528)
Subject: RE: ovarian cysts?

Expert Yogi

I've gotten much benefit from my Traditional Chinese Doctor in this area. If I were you, I wouldn't wait around, because this could develop into something much more. If you can't get to an MD before May, then have you ever considered Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs??? My TCMD works with lots of American women with these problems, without having major invasive surgery. But, you gotta be able to follow their directions and you need to be willing to go do the acupuncture treatments at least once or twice a week to get started.

Posted 2006-03-23 4:34 PM (#47620 - in reply to #47528)

along with Cyndi's advice--which is great--i also recommend that you start fertility charting. this is a great method for understanding overall gynocological health, and it will help you make very informed decisions about the health care you want.

to learn about this, i highly recommend the book Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer (gardenoffertility.com). in this book, she teaches one how to chart her cycle, how to understand what the charts are telling you, and how to use the charts to begin to work with special conditions such as ovarian cysts. she offers recommendations for alternative and medical resources on a number of conditions. it's an excellent work.

good luck!

Posted 2006-03-24 8:37 PM (#47697 - in reply to #47528)

Greenvi- Did the blood work help with any diagnosis? Did your nurse back up her diagnosis with an ultrasound? Do you attend a college or university that has a medical school or clinic available for students? Have you told your OBGYN back home about the symptoms you have described to us?

I am not a nurse, but my Dad is a retired OBGYN, and I am a dental hygienist. Even though I work on the opposite end of the body, your symptoms need to be attended to, in my humble opinion. I do not know how far you are from home, and other factors, but at least let your doc know back home what you have written if you haven't already. Stress and worry and mess with your periods also.

Let us know how you are doing and listen to Cyndi and Zoebird. I am more of a Western medicine girl at heart at present, but don't knock Eastern medicine because it does work! We want to hear from you.

Edited by namaste2 2006-03-24 8:38 PM
flipcat
Posted 2006-03-25 9:10 AM (#47718 - in reply to #47528)

greenvi,

I have struggled with ovarian cysts my whole post puberty life. They are no fun. Here's the deal. Ovarian cysts are actually fairly common through the female population. (Many women have had an occassional cyst and may never have known it). This is one of those situations for lack of a better analogy like a headache. Sometimes, it is just a headache that will go away in its own time (ie the body can rebalance itself without help), or it can be like allergy headaches...not too serious but something you will have to work around in your life. It can also be an indication of something much more serious. Bloodwork is an excellent place for you doc to start to distinguish btw these. It seems that your doc should have educated you more about the results of the bloodwork. Nonetheless, you really should keep a calendar of your symptoms and cycle. This will REALLY help your OB/GYN help you. Pay attention to how the cysts feel. Are they painful? Do they hurt only when you push on your abdomen or wear tight fitting pants, etc. I suspect (but not knowing your diagnosis) do not know, that your active lifestyle should be ok AS LONG AS YOU HONESTLY LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you are running and feel weak or light-headed....STOP. If you are doing pilates and something feels"off" STOP. Exercise in MODERATION generally has a positive effect on your hormones and overall health. Good Luck
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-25 6:06 PM (#47759 - in reply to #47528)

I have monthly pain with ovulation. It's been this way since I was 15. I'm assuming it's from cysts. In fact, I'm having it right now.
Has anyone else on here suffered from this monthly?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-26 9:47 AM (#47795 - in reply to #47759)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kristen,

I did before I found my TCMD and my yoga practice. My poor sister is going to have surgery next month for fybroid cysts....I've been telling her its unnecessary if she would try at least a couple of visits to my doc. She doesn't believe in my type of medicine so therefore she has to go under the knife.

It's amazing how these cysts just vanish away with Chinese Herbs and Acupuncture..if only western medicine would get it. It would be a great start for cancer patients and could save so many lives...or at least extend lives without all that radiation and chemotherapy..or I call it "Killertherapy".
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-26 12:19 PM (#47813 - in reply to #47528)

I've never seen anything good come out of chemo. If cancer doesn't kill you chemo certainly will.
flipcat
Posted 2006-03-26 5:26 PM (#47856 - in reply to #47528)

Er. Well actually, although I am all about Eastern and some alternative forms of health management (I use them first and formost), I have to say that chemo gets a pretty bad rap. I work in a cancer center doing cancer research so I do feel qualified to chime in here. My own mother has battled cancer for 19 years. She has tried diligently and devotedly every manner of althernative care (almost to bankrupcy). These include Berzynski Institute, essiac tea, acupuncture, past life regression, mega vitamin therapy, barley greens, fasting, detox, prayer group, essential oils, traditional chinese medicine, tibetan medicine, mushrooms, and I am sure that there are more, but I cannot recall.

We will never know the effect of all of her alternate treatments. She likes to feel that they kept her body strong enough to handle her chemo and Western therapies. All I will say is that the only thing that makes the tumors get smaller is the Western medicine and we are grateful for every drop.

Because Western medicine is so backwards, it is easy to just throw your hands up at it. Like all things, it has its place.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-26 9:23 PM (#47876 - in reply to #47856)

Expert Yogi

Hey Flipcat,

Cancer is such a complicated disease and its so hard to really know what's going on when you get to the critical stages of the disease. I know for myself that what I'm doing for my body now will prevent certain things from not happening and I know where I can get treatment should I ever need it, and I'm not referring to Western medicine. I watched my Mother die with something that doctors could not determine the true cause and I swore after that day that my life would not end that way.

Its really interesting if you go out on the streets and ask people about cancer and how they've delt with it whether it be by family members or personal experiences, that only a small percentage that has done the western medicine methods have survived. If you really talk to someone they will tell you their experience of pain, suffering and loss. I'm not talking about the statistics of what the medical industry puts out to the media, I'm talking about hands-on conversations and witnessing. Then on the other hand, sure you hear about how someone tried alternatives and didn't make it, and then again, you hear stories about how some of these people made drastic changes to their lifestyles with a true purpose and intention of overcoming their dis-ease through alternative methods and its always amazing to hear the results...in fact it is what I call "hope". These are the stories you don't hear too much about because most people that have done it, have gone under the medical radar and have refused treatment and are scared. They've even had their children taken away from them for refusing such treatments. Sure, not everyone can do it, but I certainly know of lots who gave it their best shot and have succeeded and succeeded well beyond their expectations. I know if I had stayed on the path I was on, I would be in terrible shape considering the events and challenges I've had to deal with in my life. It took alot of effort and it takes maintenance on a daily basis to keep me from having to go down that path. I guess some would say I'm one of the lucky ones, but I don't look at that way. I just woke up one day and realized what was happening and knew I had to do something about it. I knew western medicine was not my ticket to good health prevention and a quality of life that I feel I deserved. But that's my story. I'm sorry your Mother and my Mother didn't make it, but I sure as hell have a better chance and opportunity than they. I know for me, my Mother's experience was a gift for me to open my eyes and I am eternally grateful because it was such a dear sacrifice to me to give her up like I did to the hands of Western MD's.

I guess Western Medicine has a place, but with too many limitations. I do however value the Western Medicine as far as trauma and some, not all of their life saving techniques...just long enough to save my life first, then balance it later with alternative methods. You just have to be able to have the freedom of choice and be awake to make sure they don't destroy parts of you so you can choose later to do those alternative methods.
flipcat
Posted 2006-03-27 6:14 AM (#47902 - in reply to #47528)

Cyndi,

I am deeply sorry about the loss of your mother. You are such a precious person because you are right, it take nerves of steel sometimes in our society to turn your back on what we were brought up to view as "safe" or "conventional" Western treatments. (It really is all a matter of perspective isn't it?) If it weren't for the brave people who have the courage to to decide for themselves which path is right for them, then many other people would probably never have learned of their options. I do love a trailblazer (even if some of these treatments are much more rooted in time and tradition that a needleful of designer radiolabeled mouse monoclonal antibodies). I guess I am just feeling very grateful because I have not lost my mother yet and it is because of Western medicine (to my surprise). Because of some beautifully horrible chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I have enjoyed the past 19 years with my mom (and boy I needed her), and with any luck and lots of hope, she may make it to meet her grandchild one day.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-27 7:47 AM (#47903 - in reply to #47902)

Expert Yogi

Flipcat,

My aplogies to your Mother...I misread and thought she had passed. I'm happy that your Mom has benefited from her treatments. It's interesting. I'm just glad I have choices. Take care,

Cyndi
hea2310058
Posted 2009-02-22 12:19 AM (#113835 - in reply to #47528)
Subject: Re: ovarian cysts?

I seem to have a cyst on my ovary and had to have a cyst removed from my other ovary as well as the ovary itself as the cyst was too large. Is there any advice you would give me to lessen the cysts returning or even coming at all? Thanks so much!
Cyndi
Posted 2009-03-01 10:01 PM (#114050 - in reply to #113835)

Expert Yogi

Acupuncture with a doctor who is familiar in the areas of the female body.
JennyKent
Posted 2011-09-19 11:35 PM (#209252 - in reply to #47528)

Usually ovarian cysts do not produce symptoms and are found during a routine physical exam or are seen by chance on an ultrasound performed for other reasons. Here are some symptoms of having ovarian cysts:
-Lower abdominal or pelvic pain, which may start and stop and may be severe, sudden, and sharp
-Irregular menstrual periods
-Feeling of lower abdominal or pelvic pressure or fullness
-Long-term pelvic pain during menstrual period that may also be felt in the lower back
-Nausea and vomiting

Edited by JennyKent 2011-09-19 11:36 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)