YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Yoga and Appetite
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Peter Mac
Posted 2006-03-20 7:03 PM (#47207)
Subject: Bikram Yoga and Appetite

Does bikram Yoga regulate the appetite? Since I started Bikram Yoga I cut my daily caloric intake in half. I don't have my usual cravings for candy and ice cream. Is this normal? Is it something to do with the Yoga, the heat, the sweating, or a combination of the above?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-20 7:46 PM (#47216 - in reply to #47207)
Subject: RE: Bikram Yoga and Appetite

Expert Yogi

I don't know about regulate the appetite. Most of the time when I'm done, I'm starving. I think I eat smaller portions, but definitely I am hungry after my Bikram Yoga session. It could be more about the fact that I don't eat 3 hours before my practice and I wait at least 30 to 45 mins after. I think doing Bikram Yoga increases your appetite because you burn more calories and energy....also, I find that my digestion and elimination process works so much more smoother, therefore I can eat more, but not at once - because I don't want to overstretch my stomach. Nothing like scrunching those abs to get those organs working properly - especially the stomach and intenstines,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-20 7:47 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-20 8:41 PM (#47224 - in reply to #47207)

I find myself less interested in eating after a yoga session. I also find the same effect with all sorts of heavy lifting/manual labor. Your body shunts blood away from the stomach, and to the out extremities.

As far as the candy/ice cream goes, there could be a number of things going on. You should pay attention, and try and figure out why you want those things in the first place. A heavy dependency on these sorts of things often indicates a sugar/energy imbalance that yoga can definitely help with.

Posted 2010-02-19 11:41 AM (#121567 - in reply to #47207)

Bump! :-)

I was going to start a new thread on this topic but figured it's good to acknowledge what else has been said, even if it is a little old :-)

I'm in the same position as the first poster. I've been practicing about 9 months now and go 4x/week. While I have never been overweight, I've lost a couple of pounds (literally, like, two or three). I have, however, dropped one or two clothing sizes. It's nice but also a little... scary, for odd, neurotic reasons I won't go into here.

What is beginning to strike me as odd is the change in appetite. It's pretty dramatic. I used to enjoy eating and would think about upcoming meals. Now, most food doesn't taste good anymore.

Overall, I think this is a good thing. I eat really well--I crave lots of veggies and fruit. I stopped eating meat except for fish. I like how light I feel. But I often feel I have to force myself to eat, and I miss being able to grab quick-and-easy snacks like power bars. I'm eating for survival now! I also miss indulging in sweets. I seem not to want much of that stuff these days.

Maybe, like I said, this is all a positive thing--more in tune wtih my body or something. It just feels a little scary, seeing as it's such a dramatic shift. Anyone have an experience like this? Is this pretty normal/to be expected?

Posted 2010-02-19 2:22 PM (#121576 - in reply to #47207)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga and Appetite

Nice bump!

I've noticed that the yoga has pretty dramatic effects on my appetite, but it goes in waves. There were times when I'd lose my appetite COMPLETELY, which really weirded me out, but no harm seemed to come of it. I'd eat these really light meals all day - basically fruits and salads - and feel great. Then a few months later, I'd be ready to eat a freaking horse after class and couldn't make it home without stopping at 7-11 for Ben and Jerry's. (Ha!)

When in doubt, go with it!

If you're finding that food "doesn't taste good anymore," it might be that you need to keep experimenting for the food that does taste good NOW. (It's not going to be the same as the food that tasted good before.) Like, before I started Bikram, I had never touched kale. Didn't even know what a kale was. Now, I often have days when I want kale, I crave kale, and kale is the only thing that's gonna taste good. But before I discovered kale, this was just a "mystery craving" that I didn't know how to deal with!

So yeah, I think you should still be able to eat the things that you love. You might just find that the things you love have changed quite a lot. It's a mental adjustment, to go from "yay brownies!" to "yay kale!!" Spend some quality time raiding the aisles of trader joe's, and you'll find your new comfort foods.

Posted 2010-02-19 3:46 PM (#121577 - in reply to #47207)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga and Appetite

OMG, kale!! I have been eating that (and chard--love those sauteed greens) lately. I also hadn't had it before I started Bikram. It is so delicious, and I've heard it's one of those "super-foods" that probably nourishing us with something we didn't know we were missing.

And it's too bad there's no stock for sale in TJ's, because I should own that place by now! Thanks for sharing your experience (as alway!).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)