YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vegetarians: lack of proteins?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

seekay
Posted 2006-03-12 9:18 AM (#46444)
Subject: vegetarians: lack of proteins?

I heards some people say that vegetarians do not have a balance diet as they dont eat meat.
I guess this is pretty basic but im new to this. I need a good answer that makes this proud meat eaters eat their words

are human beings naturally vegetarians? i mean the way our teeth are set.

im thinking of turning vegetarian but im not sure if im doing the right thing. i keep hearing different opinions that make me doubt of everything.

thank u

Edited by seekay 2006-03-12 9:23 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-12 9:40 AM (#46447 - in reply to #46444)
Subject: RE: vegetarians: lack of proteins?

Expert Yogi

Hey Seekay,

There are many different schools of thought on vegetarianism. I would check out all of them before deciding what you want to do. Personally, I tried it for 5 years and ended up with some health problems that if I continued, could of been devasting for me. My husband was a vegetarian all his life in his native country of Nepal, he is Hindu, although his Father is Punjabi and he did eat meat until he got older. Anyway, when he came to this country, my husband, he lived with several Nepalis who were meat eaters. In his culture, you don't go and buy your own food, cook it and sit down and eat in front of everyone, they eat together and they take turns on cooking and so forth. My husband being young, had a difficult time with this, due to the long hours he worked during the day, and eating out was not an option because they do not like American food due to health reasons and they do not eat Beef. So, his Mother gave him permission to eat meat and he has ever since.

If my husband was back in his country, he would go back to vegetarianism. There are lots of different vegetables and ways of cooking that is so different from our culture. They get everything they need. Their lifestyle is different too, which can play a big part in how much protein you actually need. So, I would study the variables and find the diet that suits you best. I would not just say, I'm going to be a vegetarian today because it is trendy and what some people think of as "yogic" like, you will only set yourself up for failure if you do.

There are so many ways of cutting down on your meat intake, and adding more vegetables to your diet. I eat meat around twice a week, sometimes more, but most of the time less. It varies on what I'm doing and what my body needs. I would suggest reading Paul Pitchford's book, "Healing with Whole Foods, Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition". He does have a section on Ayurveda in this book too. This is an excellent book to have in your kitchen, it covers everything you need to know about food cures, meat eating, vegetarianism, and it also had recipes and information on each specific food and its medicinal values and uses. Good luck,

Cyndi

Posted 2006-03-12 5:28 PM (#46468 - in reply to #46444)

i didn't read cyndi's post, so this may be repitition.

humans are biologically omnivores. this means that humans can eat any number of food stuffs for health and survival. humans--like other kinds of omnivores--can survive and thrive as vegetarians, omnivores, or even as carnivores.

across the world, humans have vastly diverse diets based on the food availability of that region. many humans in certain regions adapted biologically to certain types of foods, which makes it easier for them to have certain types of vegetarian, omnivorous, or carnivorous diets than other human populations from other regions. and for even some of these specialized human populations, moving away from their 'traditional diet' which their bodies adapted to can actually be very problematic for their health. For example, it is noted that many Native Americans or First Nations Peoples do very poorly on european-styled diets, causing all sorts of health problems for them including obesity, diabetes, and a myriad of other problems. But when these communities return to their traditional diets, their bodies will naturally heal themselves.

Even so, individuals within any population can experiment with their diets to see what is right and appropriate for them. Many people--because we are generally omnivores--can manage on vegetarian diets or carnivorous diets quite well with no ill effects to speak of. So, if one philosophically or otherwise wants to take on one of these dietary structures, it's likely that it would be healthy for them. But for others, it may cause problems of malnutrition.

it is possible for me to be a vegetarian. my husband on the other hand--who is more closely, geneticly speaking, related to our shared 'traditional culture'--actually cannot thrive on a vegetarian diet. At the very least, he must have deep-sea fish (cod) in order to maintain health, and he does particularly well if he also includes raw (unpasturized dairy) in his diet. Our traditional culture is scandenavian (i also have irish and english; he had more scandenavian than i do, as well as german and scottish--but with scandenavian roots through there too), and scandenavians traditionally have trouble with beta-carotene to vitamin A conversion, vitamin D deficiency due to less sun exposure, and a traditional diet rich in fish and dairy that helps make up for these essential nutrient deficienicies. My husband, as a vegetarian (without fish), tends to have severe skin conditions (psoriosis and acne) related to vitamin A and D deficiency (in combination), which is best managed through traditional diet. So, no vegetarianism for him.

Each must discover their own way--their own needs. It takes time and experimentation, as well as deep contemplation as to what is 'best.'
shnen
Posted 2006-03-16 5:29 PM (#46784 - in reply to #46444)

Humans have the intestine shape like herbivoires to ensure the most vitamins and minerals are absorbed by the body.

That being said - living in a colder part of the world I do eat fish and the odd chicken since I do believe the benefits outweigh the negatives... make sure you know the source and that its organic, that way you are supporting the natural flow of nature and all its animals.

As far as proteins go - its more awareness then not getting proteins, there are a ton of ways to get protein without meat - but meat makes it easy in our instant gratification society. Don't forget - with meat it may be an easy way to get rpotein - but its also an easy way to get lots of fat and cholesterol too!

If you do decide to turn, perhaps try it slowly to ensure you are properly replacing the nutrients you normally get.

Political reasons:
12.5 acres raises enough beef to feed only one person; enough corn to feed 5; enough wheat to feed 12; and enough soy to feed 30. So theres that arguement for the socially concerned, not to mention the waste that comes from cattle crops.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-16 8:41 PM (#46804 - in reply to #46784)

Expert Yogi

shnen - 2006-03-16 2:29 PM
I do eat fish and the odd chicken

Just so long as it is only the odd chickens. The regular ones are more unyogic
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-03-17 6:13 AM (#46825 - in reply to #46444)
Subject: RE: vegetarians: lack of prote

“I do not want to make my stomach a graveyard of dead animals.” George Bernard Shaw.

shnen
Posted 2006-03-17 10:43 AM (#46844 - in reply to #46804)

tourist - 2006-03-16 8:41 PM

shnen - 2006-03-16 2:29 PM
I do eat fish and the odd chicken

Just so long as it is only the odd chickens. The regular ones are more unyogic

smartass.....
tourist
Posted 2006-03-17 7:36 PM (#46885 - in reply to #46844)

Expert Yogi

Hey - that's ODD smart ass to you, buddy!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-18 1:45 AM (#46898 - in reply to #46885)

tourist - 2006-03-17 7:36 PM

Hey - that's ODD smart ass to you, buddy!

Does that mean we can eat you?
tourist
Posted 2006-03-18 10:41 AM (#46912 - in reply to #46898)

Expert Yogi

Only if we are in a plane crash in the Andes and you are starving to death - although a true yogi could either exist on air and sunshine or die themselves rather than give up their vows of vegetarianism.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-18 11:19 AM (#46913 - in reply to #46444)

Oh, I exist on pure sunshine.... or was that moonshine?
shnen
Posted 2006-03-18 9:06 PM (#46990 - in reply to #46444)

well - if you're the ODD smartass and we are to crash in the Andes I am set then!
I don't have to worry about any veggie vows!
seoulyogi
Posted 2006-03-21 2:07 PM (#47321 - in reply to #46447)

Cyndi - 2006-03-12 9:40 AM

If my husband was back in his country, he would go back to vegetarianism. There are lots of different vegetables and ways of cooking that is so different from our culture. They get everything they need. Their lifestyle is different too, which can play a big part in how much protein you actually need. So, I would study the variables and find the diet that suits you best. I would not just say, I'm going to be a vegetarian today because it is trendy and what some people think of as "yogic" like, you will only set yourself up for failure if you do.

i recently became vegetarian (again- i had been years ago). i tried being a vegan for a couple of months, but i decided to back up and go slowly and start by being a vegetarian...

i am curious about your quote about being able to get 'everything you need' as a vegetarian in india. it seems like we can get everything we need here, too. maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying... having visited india (south) and having lived with a south indian family who was vegetarian here in the states- i'm not sure what you mean. i spent many years cooking and eating south indian food and never had trouble finding anything i needed. you also mention the lifestyle being different enough to not require as much protein. i'm not sure i understand what you mean.

btw, i read your recipes for veggie drinks on another link... sounds interesting, i will try them. i, also, like to avoid eating pre-prepared things and am trying to cut down...

Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 5:02 PM (#47342 - in reply to #47321)

Expert Yogi

Seoulyogi,

In my husband's native country of Nepal there are vegetables and dals that I've never even heard of that have nutrients and minerals that our vegetables do not. There are other countries in South America and other places that are the similar. I have them in my kitchen and I eat them on a daily basis. You can't get these here in the West. Also, in his country they do not do the genetically modified thing, and the fruits and vegetables are very organic and what I would consider way beyond organic in its natural state never been modified by humans - period. Half of the vegetables you eat here in the west do not have all the minerals and vitamins, not to mention the medicinal benefits that these same fruits and vegetables are *suppose* to give us. We have almost destroyed our heirloom crops and the way that commerical farming is done here is heartbreaking, considering what is at stake. I know, I live in an agriculture environment. One of my Nepali friends brought me back some fruit once, she just got off the airplane....that fruit was incredible.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue about the vegetarian issue, because I am no longer one. I practice Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese principals and I know what works for me. I too have several friends that are South Indian and North Indian here in America. Over 70% of these people eat meat here in the West, while the other 30% are from the temple and are associated with the temple and adhere to their traditions. Also, the other 70% are Indians who are in the work force and have their own personal need by eating meat. You can practice yoga and still eat meat.

As for the lifestyle diffrerence here vs. India/Nepal. That goes without saying but I'll say it. The lifestyle in India/Nepal is very docile and least aggressive than here in the West. Therefore, you do not need to eat foods (such as meat) to keep up your energy, however, I would still eat meat if I were in Nepal...I love to eat Halal Goat.

Does that answer your question??

Posted 2006-03-21 5:24 PM (#47347 - in reply to #46444)

cyndi,

i think that this statement is so important, it is worth pulling out and repeating:

You can practice yoga and still eat meat.

this has always been my understanding and perspective, as it was taught to me by very traditional yogins from india (north and south). while they support vegetarianism in practice, there's no absolute requirement.
seoulyogi
Posted 2006-03-21 7:01 PM (#47368 - in reply to #47342)

Cyndi - 2006-03-21 5:02 PM

Seoulyogi,

In my husband's native country of Nepal there are vegetables and dals that I've never even heard of that have nutrients and minerals that our vegetables do not. There are other countries in South America and other places that are the similar. I have them in my kitchen and I eat them on a daily basis. You can't get these here in the West. Also, in his country they do not do the genetically modified thing, and the fruits and vegetables are very organic and what I would consider way beyond organic in its natural state never been modified by humans - period. Half of the vegetables you eat here in the west do not have all the minerals and vitamins, not to mention the medicinal benefits that these same fruits and vegetables are *suppose* to give us. We have almost destroyed our heirloom crops and the way that commerical farming is done here is heartbreaking, considering what is at stake. I know, I live in an agriculture environment. One of my Nepali friends brought me back some fruit once, she just got off the airplane....that fruit was incredible.

i see what you're saying.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue about the vegetarian issue, because I am no longer one. I practice Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese principals and I know what works for me. I too have several friends that are South Indian and North Indian here in America. Over 70% of these people eat meat here in the West, while the other 30% are from the temple and are associated with the temple and adhere to their traditions. Also, the other 70% are Indians who are in the work force and have their own personal need by eating meat. You can practice yoga and still eat meat.

i agree 100%. please don't get defensive, i didn't mean for the vegetarian issue to be a point of contention, like i said, i have eaten meat for years.

and i don't think i implied you couldn't do yoga if you ate meat... i don't think that was raised at all in my response to you.

i was simply questioning your claim that it is more difficult to be a vegetarian here. and, frankly, you are more knowledgeable than i about the quality of food (fruits and vegs) in india, and after reading your response i understand what you were saying.

As for the lifestyle diffrerence here vs. India/Nepal. That goes without saying but I'll say it. The lifestyle in India/Nepal is very docile and least aggressive than here in the West. Therefore, you do not need to eat foods (such as meat) to keep up your energy, however, I would still eat meat if I were in Nepal...I love to eat Halal Goat.

i realize the lifestyles are extreemly different. i just wanted to know what you meant by people living that lifestyle not needing as much protein... and i now understand your point. i guess it depends where you are... when i visited, i spent a lot of time in bombay and bangalore. the people i stayed with were engineers and physicists, who led lifestyles that weren't too different from people i know here. however, you are entirely right, MOST of the people in india do not live like that...

Does that answer your question??

absolutely, very much so.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-21 9:02 PM (#47379 - in reply to #47368)

Expert Yogi

Hey Seoul Yogi,

I'm glad that I could answer your questions. I wasn't being defensive. If I came across that way, my defensiveness is not the same defensive ones you may be thinking that I am - my beef (haha, ) is that there are many out there who have strange concepts about yoga, how it should be practiced and Indian and Asian culture...I know you didn't mention it, but I did, just to make myself real clear about it. Sorry about that.

Your visit in India sounds interesting. Take care,

Cyndi
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-25 6:03 PM (#47758 - in reply to #46444)

As a vegetarian I get this a lot. As long as you include some dairy and eggs and/or soy in your diet you are getting plenty of protein. Contrary to popular belief meat is not the only thing that contains protein.
Our culture has a problem with too much protein, to be honest. You really don't need that much. It's hard on your kidneys and other organs if you have a high protein diet.
The only people who need to be careful about deficiencies are strict vegans. That diet takes a bit more planning and supplementation.
fechter03
Posted 2006-03-26 5:05 PM (#47854 - in reply to #47758)

Extreme Veteran

Miabella704 - 2006-03-25 6:03 PM

As a vegetarian I get this a lot. As long as you include some dairy and eggs and/or soy in your diet you are getting plenty of protein. Contrary to popular belief meat is not the only thing that contains protein.
Our culture has a problem with too much protein, to be honest. You really don't need that much. It's hard on your kidneys and other organs if you have a high protein diet.
The only people who need to be careful about deficiencies are strict vegans. That diet takes a bit more planning and supplementation.

i dunno, i heard a lot of bad things about soy.. when i had access to all the soy mock meat products, they just never felt good in my stomach and would stay there forever (i probably need a serious intestinal overhaul ).

i just think its better to have slightly more protein than be deficient. i thought about going vegetarian but i just can't take beans/peas/lentils unless i drown it with curry. and even then i still have the digestive problem.

its funny, as i came back to yoga, i felt drawn towards vegetarianism but as time passed, this feeling subsided.
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-03-26 5:16 PM (#47855 - in reply to #46444)

since I can't do dairy (casein intolerant) or wheat (gluten intolerant) which is in a lot of 'artificial meats' as a protein source, and can handle only a limited amount of soy, and have hypoglycemic tendencies, I've looked into other protein sources that would make me less dependent on meats. besides choosing vegetables that are highest in protein (like spinach, though it takes a lot of that), and the beans that are highest in protein (like garbanzo and black), and going for sprouts that have a lot of protein or the higher protein nuts, some of the alternative grains have both more protein and a better protein profile than wheat. millet, amaranth, teff, quinoa, and buckwheat are all good protein/fiber sources as well. adds a little variety to the diet. :-)
Miabella704
Posted 2006-03-26 6:06 PM (#47859 - in reply to #46444)

To be totally honest with you, "mock meat" products suck. I am no big fan of real meat let alone the fake stuff.
I enjoy tofu because it's not trying to taste like anything but tofu. I also make Spirutein smoothies once or twice a day because I love them!
With your intolerances it's very hard for you to be vegetarian. I am lactose intolerant so I have to watch the dairy or pay hard. These things can trip you up.
My vegetarianism is based in my feelings for animals and the environment. I have just never felt right eating something's corpse. However I feel that everyone has to do what is right for them so I don't go around plugging vegetarianism or anything else, for that matter.

Posted 2006-04-03 12:14 PM (#48563 - in reply to #46444)

actually a vegan diet (or strict vegetarian, as veganism extends to other areas of life, like not wearing leather) can be maintained without soy or gluten. So, it's not really 'harder' to be a vegetarian and get the protien that you need without these things. Beans, nuts, seeds, altnerative grains (as mentioned before) are great sources of all sorts of nutrients, including protien.

being egg and dairy free isn't difficult, and for any micronutrients, most vegans take a multivitamin supplement that includes b12 in the methylcobalamin structure. for more information about vegan nutrition (ethics and other stuff) check out http://www.veganoutreach.org.

but, as i've said before, it's not necessary to be vegetarian.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)