YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Walking: Fun Pair!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

canuck
Posted 2006-02-25 6:47 PM (#44929)
Subject: Yoga and Walking: Fun Pair!

I started taking Hatha and Ashtanga yoga classes this week (starting on Monday). I completed 3 classes (1 and a half hour each) this week. Man, I sweated like a dog too! As well I have been walking for 60 minutes every other day (twice this week). I just checked the scales and I haven't lost any weight yet!

I have been eating smaller meals (but good healthy meals), not eating after 8 p.m. every night, having 3 cups of tea still a day but with less then a teaspoon of sugar and no snacks (but i have splurged on some trail mix once or twice this week).

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me any advice as to when I may see results?

My legs are feeling a bit more toned and my I'm feeling more flexible. I feel great - but am I fooling myself in believing that I am getting toned even though I haven't lost any weight yet?

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers!
Canuck
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Debby
Posted 2006-02-25 7:51 PM (#44935 - in reply to #44929)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Walking: Fun Pair!

Canuck
Don't know why your not losing weight, but give it time.
Walking and yoga do make a fun pair. I've been doing yoga for several years and I walk a marathon every June. It means a lot of training between January and June, but I love it.

I'll bet there are a lot of other sports that folks do as well as yoga.

What does eveyone else enjoy?

Peace,
Deb
tourist
Posted 2006-02-25 9:20 PM (#44954 - in reply to #44929)

Expert Yogi

Canuck - you are from Canada, I presume?

Yoga is sneaky. Nothing happens much in the weight department but you feel so good you keep showing up to class, then one day your pants don't fit - in a good way! Ignore the scale and love the way you are feeling
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-26 8:15 AM (#44982 - in reply to #44929)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Walking: Fun Pai

Remember that you are building muscle and muscle means that although you lose fat, you can weigh the same. You are healthier and stronger though!

3 classes won't make an instant difference either, try checking again in a month. But don't forget all the other benefits of yoga.

PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2006-02-26 10:00 AM (#44992 - in reply to #44929)

Yoga and walking do make for a fun pair!

If over time (as in several weeks) you change your walk to a brisk walk, then to an easy jog, then to a medium paced jog, then to an easy run...you'll start to see the results you're looking for a lot faster. The yoga you're doing is excellent. The walking you're doing is excellent. But if your goal is to lose weight (aka lower bodyfat) directly from the walking, it may happen, but if it does it'll take a long time and it's still not really an optimized way of reaching your goal. You need to elevate your heartrate into a certain range for an extended period of time. For most people that are active and healthy enough to be doing 3 yoga classes a week, well the walking is a good thing, but it's probably not elevating your heart rate enough. Keep on doing the yoga, keep on eating well, but learn how to up the intensity and the duration (slowly at first) of your cardiorespiratory training (the walking).

Walking regularly will certainly train your heart and lungs and provide a safe and fairly low impact weight bearing activity for your bones, all of which is excellent, but if you're using it as a tool to accomplish a certain goal (which you are...trying to lose weight), you should learn how to grab other more efficient tools specific to your goal out of the toolbox. Otherwise you could go on for years using the wrong tools, not really getting any closer to your desired goals at all. Once you have the right tools and are using them correctly, then "throw out" the scale and go solely by how you feel.

Pablo Domene Lee
http://www.pablodomenelee.com
canuck
Posted 2006-02-26 7:16 PM (#45030 - in reply to #44954)

Cool! Yes I am Canadian! Thanks! See its weird..today I feel like my legs are getting more toned and my belly. I'm achey from an Ashtanga class yesterday.

I was told today by my co-worker that it looks like i lost weight...when i replied that i gained 3 pounds she said its probably water retension? How does that work...i excercise and then i gain water?

ciao!
Canuck

tourist - 2006-02-25 9:20 PM

Canuck - you are from Canada, I presume?

Yoga is sneaky. Nothing happens much in the weight department but you feel so good you keep showing up to class, then one day your pants don't fit - in a good way! Ignore the scale and love the way you are feeling
canuck
Posted 2006-02-26 7:18 PM (#45032 - in reply to #44982)

So stupid question - will I actually look like i lost weight but my weight will remain the same as i have gained muscle mass?

but i will check in a month! i know i'm being impatient!

ciao!
canuck

DownwardDog - 2006-02-26 8:15 AM

Remember that you are building muscle and muscle means that although you lose fat, you can weigh the same. You are healthier and stronger though!

3 classes won't make an instant difference either, try checking again in a month. But don't forget all the other benefits of yoga.

canuck
Posted 2006-02-26 7:21 PM (#45033 - in reply to #44992)

would you recommend i introduce weights? and walking faster? to get my weight down faster?

i have fallen in love with yoga purely for the stretching and feeling like my muscles are being elongated. but if it can along with my other excercise in time get my weight down in say a few months i will be happy!

ciao!
canuck

PabloDomeneLee - 2006-02-26 10:00 AM

Yoga and walking do make for a fun pair!

If over time (as in several weeks) you change your walk to a brisk walk, then to an easy jog, then to a medium paced jog, then to an easy run...you'll start to see the results you're looking for a lot faster. The yoga you're doing is excellent. The walking you're doing is excellent. But if your goal is to lose weight (aka lower bodyfat) directly from the walking, it may happen, but if it does it'll take a long time and it's still not really an optimized way of reaching your goal. You need to elevate your heartrate into a certain range for an extended period of time. For most people that are active and healthy enough to be doing 3 yoga classes a week, well the walking is a good thing, but it's probably not elevating your heart rate enough. Keep on doing the yoga, keep on eating well, but learn how to up the intensity and the duration (slowly at first) of your cardiorespiratory training (the walking).

Walking regularly will certainly train your heart and lungs and provide a safe and fairly low impact weight bearing activity for your bones, all of which is excellent, but if you're using it as a tool to accomplish a certain goal (which you are...trying to lose weight), you should learn how to grab other more efficient tools specific to your goal out of the toolbox. Otherwise you could go on for years using the wrong tools, not really getting any closer to your desired goals at all. Once you have the right tools and are using them correctly, then "throw out" the scale and go solely by how you feel.

Pablo Domene Lee
PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2006-02-26 8:00 PM (#45036 - in reply to #44929)

Walk faster...yes.

And do it for longer durations per time, say adding 10 minutes onto the total time as each week passes. Until you can manage 45 minute walks. And as each month passes add an extra walking day into your routine. So say you're walking 3 times a week now, do that for about a month then change your routine to 4 times a week. The month after, 5 times. At the same time as all of this, remember you'll need to be upping the intensity (speed) of your walks too. All this is related to where your heart rate is.

In your case, I wouldn't say weights is an absolute necessity right now, especially if you're doing an Ashtanga yoga practice at the same time as your walking. Strength training with weights is extremely beneficial and will help you to accomplish your goal even faster, but as I said, it's not an absolute necessity because you need to focus on your cardio training (the walking) as first priority.

It is possible to be losing total fat on your body while your overall weight remains the same. Can happen to all of us. In fact you could even have lowered your total fat and increased weight at the same time because you may have increased lean muscle. This too, can happen to all of us. It may seem a bit confusing to you because you're not looking at body composition, you're only looking at total weight on a scale - which shows only part of the picture.

You said "get your weight down in a few months"...well it may be possible but it involves a combination of things including your eating (calories in) and your physical activity (calories out), (amongst other things like genetics which of course you have no control over). You'll need to eat correctly in order to fuel up the body correctly in order to do your walks, otherwise you'll never be able to change your intensity from an easy walk up to a moderate jog. And if this doesn't happen, then you'll take much longer than a few months (most likely) to accomplish what you're looking to do. Start by reading the Health Canada food guide as far as how to eat optimally for general health/wellness:

www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/fg_rainbow-arc_en_ciel_ga_e.html

Here's the not so pretty part...for some people to lower bodyfat it may take significant amounts of cardiorespiratory training and a drastic change in their eating habits, basically a complete and massive change in their daily eating and exercising habits. For others, they don't have to really do much at all to accomplish the same thing. Take small steps at a time, and learn as much as you can about basic cardio exercise, basic strength training exercise and basic nutrition. Oh yeah...and keep doing the Ashtanga!

Pablo Domene Lee
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-02-27 3:51 PM (#45138 - in reply to #44929)

You may want to make some measurements (e.g. waist) and see how they change over time. It's perfectly possible to add muscle, never lose any weight, and get smaller -- clothes fit better etc. Since you want some tangible/measurable proof of progress, try measurements instead of weight.

Also be patient (like everyone said). When you are changing your body composition funny things happen, like water retention, and plateau periods. It's all good. Enjoy the feeling & the nice comments from people!
Rhachel
Posted 2006-02-27 6:45 PM (#45155 - in reply to #44929)

I guess the key word here is patience. A few years back, I started yoga and cut down on bread and sugar in my diet. I fell in love with yoga and started going at least 3 times a week. Although I wasn't feeling like I was losing weight, I wasn't as tired after class and I stopped sweating as much. I stuck with the diet and about three months later I started to notice that I could take my pants on and off without unbottoning them!

My advice is to throw away your scale. Once you feel like your clothes are loosening up find a scale and you can see if you weigh less. But who really cares if you feel and look great right?
gilclopez
Posted 2006-03-02 7:26 PM (#45507 - in reply to #45033)

canuck - 2006-02-26 4:21 PM

I have fallen in love with yoga purely for the stretching and feeling like my muscles are being elongated. but if it can along with my other excercise in time get my weight down in say a few months i will be happy!

ciao!
canuck

Hi canuck,

I've lost 93 lbs to date. It's difficult to tell you exactly what to do. I know when I started, I wanted to see results fast and wanted an exact program to match my body and that goal. The thing is, all of our bodies are different. Yoga is the most incredible body workout I've ever experienced. It's the only exercise that I felt even works down to the spiritual level.

I really recomment the ebook by Tom Venuto at his web site: http://www.burnthefat.com. I'd buy it quickly and read it 3 times. Master it. I've ready about a dozen books on weight loss/health and his work has been the most effective for me.

I became a vegetarian about an year ago and am now a vegan. I don't particularly recommend that for you. Experiment and do what makes 'you' feel healthy and energized. I do take a few supplements. I take a great multivitamin, have my green drinks, and Udo's oil. I have about 4-5 meals a day. Raw almonds are delicious. I eat lots of veggies, hehe. There's nothing like some pinto beans and brown rice... with some hot sauce... mmm... that's the Mexican in me.

It's a process. Go get that ebook and start there. Make your exercise enjoyable and efficient. That's so important. Monitor your heart rate... ahh, there's so much. There's some stat out there that if you can do it consistently for about 6 months, chances are you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. I know I am.

Gil
PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2006-03-02 9:32 PM (#45518 - in reply to #44929)

I've read Tom's ebook too, and well...yes it is good...very good in fact...although some issues he talks about I'd say are beyond the scope of "beginners" (wanting to lower their bodyfat while maintaining their lean muscle).

The #1 thing he emphasizes is that you can accomplish everything you need simply by eating right and exercising right. No supplements, no pills, no powders, no nothing...it can all be done naturally. Which is 100% true, however most of us aren't that patient and we want results a bit faster than mother nature's speed. This ebook is a very good place to start, although just make sure it doesn't scare you away from trying to accomplish your goals.

Here's an example...you're walking a few times a week right now...well to be honest this realistically is going to have to change...you're most likely looking at 5 days a week of running 45 minutes plus basic strength training (the ashtanga classes are sufficient instead of weights, for now), just to get on your way to achieving what you want (you'll build up to this over a period of time). Plus a complete overhaul of every single thing you put into your mouth every single day, basically for the rest of your life. The eating part is so huge in context of losing weight (aka lowering bodyfat while maintaining your lean muscle) and keeping it off forever.

In a nutshell, completely put out of your mind that white flour, white sugar and white salt even exists on the planet and never ever eat anything again that contains these ingredients. Learn what lean protein is, learn what complex carbohydrates are (both starches and fiber), and learn what good fats are.

This is the level of commitment you'll need if you follow what he says to do. Consider your "path" to reaching your goals as a lifetime commitment. It'll probably seem like everything is going to be turned upside down at first, but you'll adjust eventually. What you want to do shouldn't be viewed as a temporary thing or a "diet", it should be considered a "lifestyle adjustment" in the way you eat, the way you do physical activity and the way you live. Forever.

As Gil said...it's a process. And to that I'd add that for some people it's a lot easier than for others and there's nothing anyone can do about this...genetics are genetics...to an extent, you're born with what you're born with.

Pablo Domene Lee
gilclopez
Posted 2006-03-02 10:08 PM (#45523 - in reply to #45518)

PabloDomeneLee - 2006-03-02 6:32 PM

The #1 thing he emphasizes is that you can accomplish everything you need simply by eating right and exercising right. No supplements, no pills, no powders, no nothing...it can all be done naturally. Which is 100% true, however most of us aren't that patient and we want results a bit faster than mother nature's speed. This ebook is a very good place to start, although just make sure it doesn't scare you away from trying to accomplish your goals.

Yes, this is a tough one. He does advocate that most supplements really just turn to expensive urine. It's mostly true as our body doesn't absorb 100% of them. For example, ephedrine was used in many fat burners. Ephedrine only increases metabolism by about 10%. I have taken it in the past. Caffeine is similar. If anything, these drugs do elevate state and energy so the person is more likely to 'want' to exercise. I can achieve the same state by turning on some loud music and start moving to it. I start to skip around and immediately I get into my workout 'mood'. I do take about 100mg of caffeine about 30 min before a workout to give my workout a slight 'boost'. It is fun.

Powders are something that have to be used in a limited fashion. It's not that they're bad for you... some could be. Some of them are sweetened with junk like aspartame. The biggest problem with them is that they don't have the thermic effect of real food.

Here's a definition:

"The term "thermic effect of food" is used to describe the energy expended by our bodies in order to eat and process (digest, transport, metabolize and store) food. We "expend energy" by burning calories."

If we can eat real food... especially combine them in such a way that'll make a body work a little harder to digest them (such as mixing starchy carbs with proteins), the thermic effect will be greater. This will boost metabolism and keep burning more calories throughout the day (passively). I wouldn't recommend replacing more than 2 meals with powders if you're having 5 meals a day. It's also great to snack throughout the day. I like to snack on fiji apples and raw almonds.

Some fitness guy, I don't remember who it is, he said that health/fitness/weight goals will be achieved 90% from diet/exercise and 10% from supplements. Supplements become more of an issue when people are nearing their goal weight. It's pretty difficult to shed off those last few pounds.

I know most people want results fast. It's been conditioned into us by all the advertising... particularly direct marketing. That's my business, so I know the psychological tactics our industry uses. Some people can lose the pounds very quickly and others cannot. It's genetics. I don't particularly know how her body is. Personally, my genetics suck. I have had to throw everything at my body. It has a habit of getting used to a type of exercise very quickly and I don't burn as many calories. I have to really mix it up or shock it with high intensity training (HIT) every now and then.

Here's an example...you're walking a few times a week right now...well to be honest this realistically is going to have to change...you're most likely looking at 5 days a week of running 45 minutes plus basic strength training (the ashtanga classes are sufficient instead of weights, for now), just to get on your way to achieving what you want (you'll build up to this over a period of time).

Pablo is definitely right about this. You have to get your heart rate up and get it to stay there. Depending on your body type, it could be as little as 30 minutes or as much as 45-60. My cardio (aerobic) sessions last 60 minutes with an average heart rate of around 145bpm. I really recommend that you buy a nice heart rate monitor from Polar. You can get one with basic features for a few bucks.

Plus a complete overhaul of every single thing you put into your mouth every single day, basically for the rest of your life. The eating part is so huge in context of losing weight (aka lowering bodyfat while maintaining your lean muscle) and keeping it off forever.

This is where all the magic lies. You MUST have a great diet. It has to be one that nurtures your body, not just pleasures your mouth. Ugh. I had such bad habits. I used to go out to eat to have fun. That's horrible. For me, almost everything I put in my mouth I consider energy and/or nutrition. That's it. When you eat really healthy, you feel a lot better. You'll have more energy throughout the day. You'll WANT to exercise. When you exercise, you'll be able to enjoy it much more easily. You'll be able to do the entire 45 minutes and not burn out after 10-15. If you attempt to exercise with a bad diet, oh it's hell. Our body is too busy dealing with all the crap we just put in it to worry about exercise, lol.

In a nutshell, completely put out of your mind that white flour, white sugar and white salt even exists on the planet and never ever eat anything again that contains these ingredients. Learn what lean protein is, learn what complex carbohydrates are (both starches and fiber), and learn what good fats are.

This is the level of commitment you'll need if you follow what he says to do. Consider your "path" to reaching your goals as a lifetime commitment. It'll probably seem like everything is going to be turned upside down at first, but you'll adjust eventually. What you want to do shouldn't be viewed as a temporary thing or a "diet", it should be considered a "lifestyle adjustment" in the way you eat, the way you do physical activity and the way you live. Forever.

As Gil said...it's a process. And to that I'd add that for some people it's a lot easier than for others and there's nothing anyone can do about this...genetics are genetics...to an extent, you're born with what you're born with.

Pablo Domene Lee

Thank God I was born sexy. I was a **** cute baby.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-02 11:22 PM (#45526 - in reply to #44929)

WHOA! She just started! I argee that lifestyle changes are a commitment and they do take time, but give the lady some room. I dont know about her but I think I would prefer to be a bit thick around the edges and get to have lunch at Pie N Burger every once in a while. I don't think being thin and living life should be mutally exclusive.
gilclopez
Posted 2006-03-02 11:49 PM (#45529 - in reply to #45526)

Rhachel - 2006-03-02 8:22 PM

WHOA! She just started! I argee that lifestyle changes are a commitment and they do take time, but give the lady some room. I dont know about her but I think I would prefer to be a bit thick around the edges and get to have lunch at Pie N Burger every once in a while. I don't think being thin and living life should be mutally exclusive.

Yeah! She did just start... and she's doing great. It's easy to tell how wonderful she is by the way she types. I can really relate to whatever she's feeling... maybe a little frustrated, irritated, annoyed, sad to the lack of results on the scale.

That's happened to me plenty of times in the beginning and even now. I've really had to learn a lot about health & fitness. It's been absolutely worth it though!

Back the the lack of results on the scale... and to canuck... don't worry too much about it. There's a lot of things to consider. You could be putting on a little muscle. Muscle does weigh more than fat. You could be retaining water. Your metabolism could be a little slow because of unknown reasons (genetics, frequency/number of meals, type of exercise, length of exercise, time of exercise, diet, stress, etc.)

Measure yourself... waist, hips, arms, etc. You might be losing inches there. If that's the case, you're toning up!

I bought this software called FitDay. I entered all the food I ate along with all nutritional info. I weighed myself every day. I switched up my diets. I switched up my workouts. I did so much. That log really helped me find a winning combination that my body really loves. It leaves me feeling healthy, energetic, and I see results on the scale. The software really makes the logging process easy.

Sure, it could be a pain in the butt. It's worth it as it affects almost every area of life. Personally, I'm a different person. I was pretty cool then.. and now.. I guess I'm still cool, hehe. I have taken up all kinds of new activities, like yoga and dancing. Life is about ten times better and I've had great times.

I don't want to judge or tell canuck how much weight she should lose or not lose. It's up to her. I trust she knows her wants and desires more than me. I just wanted to pass some friendly info that's been the most helpful to me.
canuck
Posted 2006-03-03 10:06 AM (#45558 - in reply to #44929)

ok guys - you are totally freaking me out!!!!

But its all good! I'm taking it slow..its funny I have been trying on clothes and they are fitting loose on me..I haven't looked at the scale in days!

I have walked 5 days this week. No yoga classes. Next week I'll go back to yoga. i wanna switch it up and keep it interesting!

In regarsd to food. I'm watching what I eat but still eating what I normally would (in smaller portions of course). I'm eating trail mix and fruit as snacks...is that cool?

ciao!
melanie
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-03 10:02 PM (#45669 - in reply to #44929)

If it's cool with you, than yes!
dove
Posted 2006-03-08 11:33 AM (#46071 - in reply to #44929)

gilco, your story is so inspiring!
Tsaklis
Posted 2006-03-09 9:01 PM (#46328 - in reply to #44929)

Pablo,

I hate to be the spoiler here but I really have to disagree with the walking faster thing, especially if one is new to exercise in the first place. More is not always better, and neither is faster. If you are out of shape metabolically.... if your metabolism is running slow, then walking faster will actually cause you to burn LESS fat rather than more. Cardio is very tricky. You can do it wrong and still get some results, particularly over time. But the vast majority of people do not take a proper approach and wind up getting less results from more work than if they had done it properly. I won't go into all of that here, I've typed it up enough already in other threads. But I will say that I recently began helping a friend with her cardio regimen. She weighed 190 on January 8, and was basically getting very little if any weightloss despite 40+ minutes of intense cardio on an eliptical 4 or 5 days a week. I talked her into using a much more simple regimen and even though she balked at first saying it was "too easy" to work, she lost weight in the first week. She just weighed herself yesterday and is down to 170. That's 20lbs in 8 weeks, which is about as good as it gets. You have to remember that the human body can only divest itself of about 2lbs of fat per week regardless of diet and exercise. No matter how little you eat or how much you work out you can only drop 2lbs of bodyfat in a given 7 day period. Anything more is either water weight, which is a good thing to lose but you only really lose it once, or muscle and organ tissue, which is a very bad thing to lose.

Canucky,

No, you are not gaining muscle mass after less than a week of yoga classes. For the life of me I do not understand why people keep fostering this idea on this site. If you were taking Barry Bondsian levels horse steroids it would still take more than a week to actually add muscle mass throuh yoga. There was a really good thread on this a few months back that I think would be worth the effort for you to dig up. Anyway, your weight hasn't changed because bodyweight is a really poor indicator of health, wellness, fitness, whatever you want to call it. Sure, on a large scale it is.... 5'10" and 360lbs is probably unhealthy, but 5'10" and 358lbs is not necessarily any better. There are hundreds of reasons as to why you would not have lost weight on a scale even though you look and feel thinner. The most likely culprit is water, but I've been over that before too. It's always fun to see how much weight you've lost, and a scale can be helpfull during those times when you feel that you have hit a plateau because it gives you one way to measure the relative effectiveness of different approaches. But overall, don't sweat it too much. So keep walking, keep doing yoga, and don't stress the scale. The weight will come off. Tourist was right, yoga is very sneaky in the way it helps you lose weight. I've always said that it does more for your health by affecting the way you think than it does by affecting the way you move. But that's just me.

One more thing, weight training can actually be a very effective fat loss tool. Ever wonder why some people can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce while others gain fat just passing the dessert cart? It's all about metabolism. The biggest part of your metabolism is genetic, but we screw with that constantly through our habits and the way we live our lives. I always tell people that an easy way to visualize your metabolism is to think of it as the ratio of muscle mass to body fat. The higher that ratio tilts toward muscle mass, the faster the metabolism and the more body fat is burned at rest, which means that the metabolism gets even faster. It's a cycle that works both ways. By losing fat you help your metabolism some, but if you were to add muscle as you lost fat it would be twice as effective. Just my two cents.
PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2006-03-10 2:00 AM (#46340 - in reply to #44929)

Tsaklis, I agree with you on the above. The only reason I mentioned about her trying the walking with a higher intensity is because she's not yet getting the results she wants doing what she's doing. So now she might want to make slight modifications, ultimately she'll have to find what will work for her body, and it's always different for different people. Slight increases in intensity for her might yield different results, and of course this would be done over a period if time. Of course too high of an intensity won't work either, and yes the body will metabolise a bit less fat and a bit more carb when compared to a slightly lower intensity...but I didn't want to mention this and confuse the issue any further than it already is for her.

Pablo Domene Lee
canuck
Posted 2006-03-10 10:25 AM (#46355 - in reply to #44929)

Thanks guys! This is great!

Tsaklis
Posted 2006-03-28 1:04 PM (#48017 - in reply to #44929)

Just as a running update.... the friend I mentioned earlier weighed in last Wednesday at 168, having now lost 22lbs since Jan 1. In addition, we were able to modify her schedule so that she now goes to the gym 3 days per week instead of 4.
mvarkonda
Posted 2006-03-28 7:11 PM (#48083 - in reply to #44929)

I agree you have to be patient. My friend only walks and she has been doing it for about 8 months and has lost about 10 pounds. I say with walking and doing yoga you will deffinatly see results, just be patient. And also fruits as snacks it recomended by alot of doctors. You are deffinatly going the right direction.
wohayo
Posted 2006-06-01 5:12 AM (#54436 - in reply to #44929)

Hi guys, some really interesting posts here. I was interested to get your view on something I have been mulling over. I used to do alot of cardio / gym / circuits work, but have decided to give myself totally over to yoga. I found the running etc was having a shortening effect on my hamstrings and undoing all the work I was doing by trying to lengthen them through yoga. It seemed the two were fighting against each other and Yoga won out as something I feel I can take with me for the rest of my life.

I have just purchased the Tom Venuto e-book (thanks for the recommendation) but wondered if you had any ideas as to how I can get a suitable cardio workout from my Yoga practice. I study Iyengar yoga because I believe that ultimately correct alignment is the key to practicing well, but I am not against using home practice time to ramp things up a bit and use my Iyengar alignment in a more dynamic flow. I would be greatful for any sugesstions as to how I can achieve this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)