YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skin and Eating Habits
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 9:47 AM (#44735)
Subject: Skin and Eating Habits

With the wealth of knowledge on this board, I figure you guys could probably steer me in the right direction.

For as long as I can remember, I've had difficult skin. From being dry to having acne to developing contact dermatitis here and there, I have always struggled with it. Granted, the latest acne treatments work great, but I have a heavy dependency on them. I don't mind using them, but it would be smart to make other adjustments in my life in order for them to work easier.

Plus even if I get a handle on my acne, something else will pop up. I'll break out in a rash on my chest, or develop some itchy bump on my arm...or something equally weird.

It's not a big deal, but I'm just tired of it. I feel like I spend so much time dealing with my skin ~ I can't imagine what it's like to just wake up, take a shower and be done. I'm even willing to adjust my eating habits in order to make things flow a little smoother. I don't need to be perfect, but boy...it would sure be nice to have a week or two where I didn't have some eruption to deal with. My mother says my sister and I have very Irish skin. I have no idea what that means, but it's got me wondering if people all over Ireland are walking around with acne and eczema (my sister's ailment).

Thanks for reading, guys.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-24 10:09 AM (#44743 - in reply to #44735)
Subject: RE: Skin and Eating Habits

Hi Kabu,

I have a feeling you'll be getting a lot of advice on this thread.

I used to have really awful (acne) skin. I was even on Accutane to manage it in high school. After 4 dermatologists and a small fortune I decided to go a different route in my early 20's. I went to the old Chinese acupuncture doctor I talk about often on these threads. He helped me in 4 visits. I was impressed how acupuncture balanced whatever was going on inside of me.

I also invested in monthly facials, microdermabrasion treatments and even tanning - yes, the unthinkable in skin care. I think the sun helps a lot with skin conditions - even just 10 minutes of sunshine. I also consumed wheatgrass regularly (yuck). Helichrysum essential oil is great for red, inflammed, flakey skin. L'Occitane is a company that uses helichrysum in most of it's skin care products. Expensive, though.

My bias is on acupuncture and Chinese Medicine but there's tons of other neato alternatives out there. So, my last bit of advice/info is to try a series of acupuncture facial renewal/rejuvenation treatments. Not only does the acupunture helps with facial skin but is also helps to balance the hormones, mellow out stress, help with digestion, sleep, etc...

I have really nice skin now and I get compliments all the time, so I know transformation is possible. (I don't do microdermabrasion anymore, so don't think you have to spend your life savings and every waking moment on your skin).

Good luck and please let me know what works for you

fif
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-24 10:10 AM (#44744 - in reply to #44735)

note - helichrysum is to be applied topically, not taken internally
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-24 10:14 AM (#44746 - in reply to #44735)

Hi Kabu,
I can only relate my own story and see if what I do helps you.

I have sensitive combination skin with acne. Fortunately the spots have never been extreme though. I spent years having to have different cleansers and moisturisers for the dry v oily patches on my face and a variety of acne treatments. As I've got older the dry patches have become increasingly sensitive and easily irritated.

My current regime seems to be the best I've tried. I use Origins skin care pair for combination skin with their Night-a-mins night cream. I wash with Origins foaming facial wash. This range seems to have the ability to degrease the oily areas without over-drying or aggrevating the dry bits (some dry skin moisturisers tended to bring out the spots as they were far too thick and rich, light moisturisers have proved a better solution).

Once a week I use a body scrub (The Body Shops's cocoa butter one) and a facil scrub (Origins again). I've found this has dramatically improved the clarity of my back and chest spot-wise. I have a theory that dry skin doesn't shed the old skin very easily and so suffocates itself leading to spots.

If I've slept well, eaten well, and drunk plenty of water, my skin improves.

When my skin breaks out or gets very oily, Origins do a mask that smells like coal tar and I think is called something like rescue mask (?) which is both mild and effective despite the fact that the smell would lead you to believe otherwise - great for clearing the sinuses at the same time!

My pet solution for any form of skin injury - chapping, ruptured pot, cuts, grazes, etc is a zinc oxide based nappy rash cream called Sudocreme.

I think the Irish comment relates to the typical Gaelic colouring of very pale, easily burnt and freckled skin. If paired with red hair, this sort of skin tends to be hyper-sensitive and easily aggrevated, especially in cold, windy conditions.

Regards,

Fiona
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 10:18 AM (#44750 - in reply to #44735)

Cool thread.

I've struggled with acne most of my adult life. My mother also has adult acne, so I think it runs in the family. Frankly I usually just ignore it, since I'm a guy, but if there's something fairly simple, like a new soap or simple supplement I'm all ears.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 10:42 AM (#44756 - in reply to #44750)

Fifi, I don't know why I don't just go ahead and try acupunture. I hear so much about it. Never thought about acupuncture and skin, but that makes sense.

Fiona, I use a combination of Serious Skin Care and Proactive for my acne specifically. It works nicely, but I think I could do better. My neck and chest don't seem to respond the way my face does, or it'll flip out in a totally different way, which confuses me to no end. Never thought of diaper rash cream ~ that's a great idea!

My sister and I are both fair skinned, but she goes out in the sun (has the freckles goin' on). I stopped sunbathing and started protecting my skin when I was 18. The acne still leads to little dark spots here and there, but they clear up over time. (A few months ago my cousin ~ Scottish/Irish ~ just found what she thinks is her first age spot, so we're all freaking out.)

Green Jello, acne can be a family thing. Both Proactive and Serious Skin Care work pretty well, especially if acne is your only issue, and you aren't dealing with various forms of plague like myself. Proactive is a 3 step deal, nothing big. SSC has a HUGE line of stuff, but you can streamline that down to 2 or 3 products. If you'd like more info, let me know.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 10:47 AM (#44757 - in reply to #44750)

Expert Yogi

Fifi,

I was on that Accutane stuff once too!! That was some lethal stuff, wow!! I'll never forget that experience.

Well, I have to agree with Fifi and say I too am very biased to Acupuncture as well. I've seen acupuncture work miracles. I had a place on my breast once that I could not figure out. It was a small bumb that started spreading and itched like crazy. I was in my 3rd day of it and just happened to have been in my TCM's office getting my weekly treatment. I showed him my breast and he grabbed a couple of needles and did his thing with it. Next day, it was completely gone like it had never been there. Too cool!!

To maintain what I do with acupuncture, I eat properly. I stay away from processed foods and eat very simple. I read packages and don't eat chemicals. Once you start those kinds of habits within yourself, you can eat Zaxby's seasoned fries on occasion, like once every 6 mos...but if you have a steady habit of eating whole foods, you will be better off. Acupuncture is great for helping you get balanced...but you gotta maintain it with the right habits. Otherwise you'll be wasting your time and $$.

There are no soaps and cures for acne. Acne is a combination of organ imbalances and heat related symptoms inside the body. When you balance the interal, the external will clear up. External lotions and soaps do nothing for the internal organs of the body. That is why I like Chinese medicine...it treats the body internally....the human body system is on the inside not the outside.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 10:56 AM (#44759 - in reply to #44757)

So fried cheese sticks are off limits? ****.

*sigh* I always feel like I'm chasing after my skin problems instead of dealing with them head on. I think I'm finally fed up enough to try a different approach.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-24 11:01 AM (#44760 - in reply to #44735)

Sounds like I need to work on my eating habits. You may be correct about the imbalance Cyndi, I do tend to eat a lot of processed food. Most of it isn't junk food, but TV dinners aren't that good either.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 11:12 AM (#44763 - in reply to #44760)

Expert Yogi

I meant to add that once you set good habits for yourself in the way of eating whole foods, you may not like the way Zaxby's seasoned fries taste after a while. Your body KNOWS at this point and EXPECTS good food - food that has QI. Frozen foods GJ don't have much Qi, I wish it did, I get tired of cooking every day and I get tired of NOT having a restaurant close by that fits my criteria of what food should be. Oh well, its my excuse for driving to the city...meanwhile, I'm teaching my daughter how to cook so I can get a break at home!!

Posted 2006-02-25 11:23 AM (#44872 - in reply to #44735)

Great thread with lots to think about. I have had more problems with my skin since hitting my 40's. I first broke out after wearing a new foundation and thought that was the case. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Finally went to the skin dude and had perioral dermatitis- breakouts around the nose and mouth and now roseacea.

I use Obagi $$$ to maintain smooth skin and metrogel 1% in th AM to hopefully reduce breakouts. My breakouts itch and I have the Scot-Irish-Dane Casper skin with natural blush. I like Origins products and now that I am eating better and feeling better hopefully the external will improve. Facials are great and we all need to be good to ourselves every now and then
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-25 11:58 AM (#44879 - in reply to #44763)

Cyndi - 2006-02-24 11:12 AM

I meant to add that once you set good habits for yourself in the way of eating whole foods, you may not like the way Zaxby's seasoned fries taste after a while. Your body KNOWS at this point and EXPECTS good food - food that has QI.

You're probably right. I've eaten once in a McD's in about 2-3 years. (The one time was for the novelty). We generally go out to eat somewhere for lunch at the office, and I've been steering more and more towards healthier, (and more expensive stuff as a result). There's a custom salad place that just went into one of the local malls that I'm enjoying. (Doc Green's)

Frozen foods GJ don't have much Qi, I wish it did, I get tired of cooking every day and I get tired of NOT having a restaurant close by that fits my criteria of what food should be. Oh well, its my excuse for driving to the city...meanwhile, I'm teaching my daughter how to cook so I can get a break at home!!

Sounds like a plan. You're probably right about the frozen foods, however I live alone, and I just can't bring myself to cook for myself. Something to work on.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-25 12:06 PM (#44881 - in reply to #44735)

The product whore in me is coming out! I think I am the Imelda Marcos of skincare products.

Obagi?? I'll have to check it out.

I've been using DHC products which I like a lot. If you order from them they give you lots of samples. DHC is pretty affordable, like Origins.

I remember buying a great charcoal mask from Origins a few years back. The charcoal was good for clarifying the skin.

shnen
Posted 2006-02-25 12:10 PM (#44883 - in reply to #44735)

I try to eat well - stay away from processed and non organic foods. I drink lots of fluids in a day, and I take vitamin E and make sure I am getting the right amount of my Omegas.
I use Yves Rocher on my face to clean, and when I have a bad time with my skin I LOVE the Proactive mask (the rest of the line didn't help my issues)!

My make up is also all mineral, so it doesn't block pores - Pur Minerals.
My skin is very sensitive to moisturizers, so I use Pur Minerals "see no more" fluid on my face first (this helps minimize your pores and take care of the pimples that are there) and I use YonKa Pamplemousse for normal to oily skin as the only moisturizer I have ever been able to use without making me break out!

My face is my main break out point, and the week before my period - no matter what I do - I get a break out that results in at least a few mountains on my face!

I heard something once and with my analysis of my friends (they put up with so much being my friends) it seems to have some truth to it.
If you break out on your chin or around your mouth it's hormonal, if you break out on your cheeks, nose and forehead it's food or environmentally related.

Its just a theory.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-25 12:28 PM (#44886 - in reply to #44879)

Expert Yogi

Hey GJ,

You need to learn the art of cooking for two. I say two, cause you should never cook for one. So, the way to do this is to cut your ingredients to size. For instance, you can chop vegetables in just the right amounts. When I say cook for two...do it in the evening when you have time, and cook for two. Eat your dinner, and pack the rest for your lunch. Then you start over again the next day. My husband is by himself during the week. This is his routine. It saves so much money too. I do cook for two, me and my daughter, so it's easy. It takes practice, dedication and consistency.....key word here...consistency, and also find something fun and cook things that you like to eat that are healthy. Good luck. If you really need some cooking ideas I'll be happy to assist you with what I know. Take care,

Cyndi
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-25 9:34 PM (#44961 - in reply to #44886)

Cyndi - 2006-02-25 12:28 PM

Hey GJ,

You need to learn the art of cooking for two. I say two, cause you should never cook for one. So, the way to do this is to cut your ingredients to size. For instance, you can chop vegetables in just the right amounts. When I say cook for two...do it in the evening when you have time, and cook for two. Eat your dinner, and pack the rest for your lunch. Then you start over again the next day.

Thats an excellent suggestion. You're correct about cooking for one, that never works well, two is a much better number, but I never knew what to do with the extras.

Posted 2006-02-26 9:38 AM (#44990 - in reply to #44735)

there's a great vegan/vegetarian cookbook that has recipes for one or two people. i think it's called Vegan Recipes for One or something like that. Anyway, lots of simple recipes in there. And you don't have to be vegan. it's just a way to get simple recipes.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-26 11:43 PM (#45065 - in reply to #44990)

zoebird - 2006-02-26 9:38 AM

there's a great vegan/vegetarian cookbook that has recipes for one or two people. i think it's called Vegan Recipes for One or something like that. Anyway, lots of simple recipes in there. And you don't have to be vegan. it's just a way to get simple recipes.

Thanks, I've added it to my Amazon.com wish list (I add books to this until I have enough to qualify for the free shipping). FWIW, I'm vegan whenever I'm not eating meat, dairy or eggs.

Posted 2006-02-26 11:46 PM (#45069 - in reply to #44735)

yeah, everyone is, they just don't know it.

i remember my grandmother complaining once that my wedding meal was going to be vegan. she complained that she 'never ate vegan' and all this stuff, until i pointed out that the meal that she was eating (at the time of the complaint) was vegan. She was having fruit salad and bread with margerine and tea.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-01 9:08 AM (#45319 - in reply to #44961)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-02-25 9:34 PM

Thats an excellent suggestion. You're correct about cooking for one, that never works well, two is a much better number, but I never knew what to do with the extras.

Hey GJ,

The very first thing my Mother taught me in the kitchen and I do believe this is a Chef's rule...you never cook for one. In my husband's culture, whenever we have an Indian or Nepali visit us, they will never eat by themselves unless you eat with them. So funny, a couple of weeks ago, Krishna came up here to the mountains and wanted to stop at Waffle House and it was midnite. He kept insisting that we eat something with him. Finally I told him to get the Hashbrowns scattered and covered. It made him very happy. So, when he brought the food, I just sorda nibbled on it in the back seat. If I hadn't of done that, he was not going to eat. Satyam had to eat a piece of toast. Thank Goodness it was dark cause' I really didn't like the idea of eating HB's covered and smotherd that late at night. They were good the next day though,

So, its really not that difficult to do. You need to brush up on your Fractions and cut everything down to size. Cooking a Pork Tenderloin or roasted chicken breasts or leg quarters in the oven (just salt and pepper it, add some onions, celery and carrots) is an easy thing for men to do and it tastes good too! I have this rice cooker that keeps rice cooked and warm for over 24 hours. You can get one from Williams Sonoma. I like these because it doesn't waste the rice and you can do any kind of rice. Sometimes I add things like sweet potato chunks to the rice before cooking, this is a great source of nutrition and it tastes good.

Okay, now I think you've got some ideas to last you a couple of days. I think I'm going into the "Kitchen Consulting" business. Good luck, let us know how your doing with it.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-01 11:52 AM (#45343 - in reply to #44735)

Things are looking up. I've been exchanging tutoring in statistics for cooking lessons. One of my friend's wife has been having issues with her stats class, so they've had me over the past couple of weeks after work. It's given me a chance to watch him and help with the cooking, and then help her with stats. I was a little worried at first because it had been so long, but no worries. Stats are a really bizzare subject, a lot of this works, this works, etc, but no real understanding of why. One of the most important contributions was made by a guy who did quality control for Guiness!

Anyway, I've helped make a simple Pad Thai, and some fried chicken. Lots of fun!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-01 1:22 PM (#45350 - in reply to #45343)

Expert Yogi

You know I could almost survive eating those Green Apple Jelly Belly Beans alone...Kris thinks you should keep this Avatar forever GJ!!

Funny, I was in the store the other day buying some jelly beans. They had a entire line and rows of those cheap made in China jelly beans. I had to search deeply to find the real *true* JELLY BELLY BEANS, got me 2 bags of them
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-01 4:44 PM (#45363 - in reply to #45350)

Cyndi - 2006-03-01 1:22 PM

You know I could almost survive eating those Green Apple Jelly Belly Beans alone...Kris thinks you should keep this Avatar forever GJ!!

Nothing lasts forever, but this one has a couple of things I like. It's fun and cheerful, non-threatening, has no real meaning, it's green, and doesn't associate me with any particular face.

Posted 2006-03-01 8:26 PM (#45396 - in reply to #45343)

Love Pad Thai! My husband took me to a great Thai place not too far from the base and had a great Thai lunch. Today we ate Greek. The lamb Gyro and Feta salad was excellent! Just what my taste buds ordered. I am so glad my hubby is able to get about town at lunch and try different cruisines with his buds. Love to eat and try different foods from around the world!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-01 9:17 PM (#45405 - in reply to #45396)

namaste2 - 2006-03-01 8:26 PM
Today we ate Greek. The lamb Gyro and Feta salad was excellent! Just what my taste buds ordered. I am so glad my hubby is able to get about town at lunch and try different cruisines with his buds. Love to eat and try different foods from around the world!

I love gyros!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)