YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Switching from Anusara
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Samara267
Posted 2006-02-22 11:34 AM (#44464)
Subject: Switching from Anusara

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question. I've been doing Anusara at an Anusara studio for about a year. I've never done any other kind of yoga. I'm moving in May to an area in the Northwest Chicago suburbs that doesn't have a nearby Anusara studio. What type of studio focuses on alignment the way that Anusara does?

Thanks,
Samara
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-22 1:51 PM (#44500 - in reply to #44464)
Subject: RE: Switching from Anusara

Woo! Where in the burbs? I'm in Des Plaines!

I go to Total Body Yoga in Vernon Hills (or Mundelein ~ some weird zip code/boundary thing going on there). They are based in Anusara, and it takes me about 40 minutes to get there on a morning with little traffic. With traffic, it's kinda ugly (about an hour), but I really like them so I do it.

Yoga Chicago is a local publication that has a great studio/teacher directory. There's more to pick from the closer you get to the city or the lake.

YogaChicago.com

Welcome to Chicago in May! Should be nice here by then. If you have any other questions about Yoga or other stuff, feel free to PM me.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-22 2:17 PM (#44502 - in reply to #44464)

Iyengar is good for alignment. Actually most decent yoga teachers should tell you when you're doing something wrong, it's just that some styles are more focused than others.
Samara267
Posted 2006-02-22 3:45 PM (#44509 - in reply to #44500)

Kabu - 2006-02-22 1:51 PM

Woo! Where in the burbs? I'm in Des Plaines!

I go to Total Body Yoga in Vernon Hills (or Mundelein ~ some weird zip code/boundary thing going on there). They are based in Anusara, and it takes me about 40 minutes to get there on a morning with little traffic. With traffic, it's kinda ugly (about an hour), but I really like them so I do it.

Yoga Chicago is a local publication that has a great studio/teacher directory. There's more to pick from the closer you get to the city or the lake.

YogaChicago.com

Welcome to Chicago in May! Should be nice here by then. If you have any other questions about Yoga or other stuff, feel free to PM me.

I'll be over in Crystal Lake. How far is Vernon Hills?
tourist
Posted 2006-02-22 6:47 PM (#44529 - in reply to #44509)

Expert Yogi

Iyengar is the "parent" school to Anusara No loops and spirals, minimum hugging until you get to know everyone, but the alignment is the same. Good luck with your move
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-22 9:06 PM (#44555 - in reply to #44529)

Vernon Hills is a bit East of where you'll be but easily accessible. I'll look and see if I can find anything around Crystal Lake for you.

Thank you Green Jello and Tourist for mentioning Iyengar. I got so excited about the fact that she was moving to my area, I completely missed her second question.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-22 9:37 PM (#44562 - in reply to #44464)

>Tourist - Iyengar is the "parent" school to Anusara No loops and spirals, minimum hugging until you get to know everyone, but the alignment is the same.

Some even call Anasura the "friendly" Iyengar. I have never seen a more 'beautiful' Yoga style of going into asanas. Anasura is actually slower going into poses with more dramatic alignment then Iyengar. Then both end up in the same place, but I swear, it's always like a ‘slow motion dance” getting there with the Anasura folks. With Anasura, I seem to be able to set up better in poses then with Iyengar.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-22 10:01 PM (#44567 - in reply to #44562)

Kalitrea in Crystal Lake

Yoga Werks in Barrington

Total Body Yoga in Vernon Hills

I have no experience with Kalitrea or Yoga Werks. I think Yoga Werks is Anusara, but I'm not positive. I've been thinking about trying them out (love their site too ~ they seem like a bunch of happy yogis ).

Maybe we'll see each other in a class one day!

Edited by Kabu 2006-02-22 10:02 PM
Samara267
Posted 2006-02-23 6:13 PM (#44674 - in reply to #44464)

I think I'm going to try Kalitrea because it's so close to where I'm going to be living. I am not going to want to travel 20 minutes to get to yoga. I know me.

Thanks so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 11:49 AM (#44773 - in reply to #44674)

Ooh, I found this too:

Yoga Seva
YogaGuy
Posted 2006-02-24 10:44 PM (#44831 - in reply to #44562)

Someone should teach you to align your letters, Jambo. It's ANUSARA, not anasura.

Jambo - 2006-02-22 9:37 PM

>Tourist - Iyengar is the "parent" school to Anusara No loops and spirals, minimum hugging until you get to know everyone, but the alignment is the same.

Some even call Anasura the "friendly" Iyengar. I have never seen a more 'beautiful' Yoga style of going into asanas. Anasura is actually slower going into poses with more dramatic alignment then Iyengar. Then both end up in the same place, but I swear, it's always like a ‘slow motion dance” getting there with the Anasura folks. With Anasura, I seem to be able to set up better in poses then with Iyengar.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-25 12:21 AM (#44840 - in reply to #44831)

Expert Yogi

Keith - they had it spelled wrong as the thread heading for so long I was starting to spell it wrong, myself! I love typos, though. Great entertainment. People like me would love my posts
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 11:15 AM (#44870 - in reply to #44464)

>Lori- they had it spelled wrong as the thread heading for so long I was starting to spell it wrong, myself! I love typos, though. Great entertainment. People like me would love my posts

Yes, the typos are pretty funny. Guess I missed the wrong spelling in the thread heading.

Edited by Jambo 2006-02-25 11:17 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)