YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meat n' Taters
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Posted 2006-02-22 11:02 AM (#44455)
Subject: Meat n' Taters

Help! Thank goodness for this forum! My cholesterol is high through genetics and diet, etc. and the same with my husband. He is a beef and pork guy. I eat a lot better and exercise more than he and we both are on meds for the cholesterol.

Thanks Cindy for the cookbook suggestion, Joy of Cooking, the newer version. I will check that out. Does anyone have any great ideas besides chicken and fish for main courses? I will eat anything and my husband will try anything, but prefers meat and pork! I work a 12 hour day and workout after work during the week.

Thanks for any and all words of encouragement.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 11:42 AM (#44468 - in reply to #44455)
Subject: RE: Meat n' Taters

Expert Yogi

If your cholestrol is high, better lay off the meat n' taters....they are the worst. Can you try to wean yourself with a mostly vegetarian diet?? This means starting at every other day eating meat and loading up with vegetables?? In the new March, Yoga Journal, on P. 48, there is a chart and the article is called Mindful Eating. The first line reads like this; Most diets are based on deprivation - counting calories, restricting portion sizes, and eliminating categories of foods. Therefore, if you go on a diet, you are likely to go off it. Instead of a diet, I present food as a spectrum of choices......... I highly suggest that you go to the store right now, put down your cup of chai and go, Read this one page, it will be the best thing you ever read, trust me.

I have some good pork recipes, check over in the yoga and fear management thread, that pork soup with watermelon rind is great for this time of year. It is very simple and fast to prepare. Nutritiously, it is very satisfying. If you eat meat and potatoes and can't do anything else, I would try my best to stay away from breads and white foods. Try to eat plant based foods and add some fruit to your diet. Drinking green tea on a daily basis will cut cholestrol and adding curry leaves as Thushara mentioned on another thread is helpful too. Eating meat is a no no for high cholestrol and there aren't many ways of getting around it unless you take western medicine pills.

Posted 2006-02-22 5:58 PM (#44523 - in reply to #44468)

Thanks Cyndi for the info. I did purchase March's Yoga Journal and it has some great info by Dr. Dean Ornish on heart disease and how to reduce your chances. I have cut down a lot on refined sugars and will begin drinking green tea that I had bought from a lady who gets it from China. When I visited Hong Kong, I also enjoyed Oolong tea .

Thanks for the recipe for the watermelon soup with pork. I will have to try it! Any other suggestions would be great from anyone else. I had a blast shoping today for some Yogi Tea and other fun things at a Health/Grocery Store.

Posted 2006-02-22 6:52 PM (#44535 - in reply to #44523)

I think Cheryl need some Mountain Munchies Cyndi Lou.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-22 6:58 PM (#44539 - in reply to #44535)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2006-02-22 6:52 PM

I think Cheryl need some Mountain Munchies Cyndi Lou.

Would you like stop it already, your making my side hurt from all this laughing my A$$ off

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-22 6:59 PM

Posted 2006-02-22 7:01 PM (#44542 - in reply to #44539)

OK, I'm done--getting ready to go downtown this evening to see Bonnie Raitt--you all be good now!

Posted 2006-02-23 10:45 AM (#44603 - in reply to #44455)

i'm very much a point-counterpoint sort of person when it comes to nutrition. read dean ornish. read also the information here: westonaprice.org. the cholesterol myth is a great read. i also recommend reading Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill by Udo Erasmus, PhD.

my research in this area has shown me that these practices are great for lowering cholesterol: 1. increase of b-vitamins and betaine (from beets); 2. remove processed carbohydrates from your diet--moving to sprouted grains (either whole grains or sprouted grain breads by alvarado street or ezekiel brand); 3. remove high fructose corn syrup and related corn syrups (etc) from your diet.

Moving toward whole foods--even a whole foods diet that includes red meat)--and moving toward pasture raised eggs, dairy, and meat products (used in moderation, of course), increasing your intake of veggies, legumes, and whole grains (about 60-70% of your daily caloric intake from these foods) will help stabilize your health and your cholesterol levels.

Posted 2006-02-23 9:54 PM (#44696 - in reply to #44603)

Thanks Z-bird for the website and info. The website is full of info that opened my eyes. At least here in San Antonio, it is a bit easier to get some recipes and groceries needed for them. I bought some green tea and drank some inbetween patients today and it was great! I really needed the break and the aroma was wonderful! Beats the heck out of the dental smell we all know and love!

I had a patient tell me that she roasts almonds and walnuts for 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees and that is great for cholesterol for a snack. I know a little goes a long way with that, yumm

I am starting to feel better now that I am doing more cardio, cutting way back on refined stuff and junk and eating much healthier--DUH Good vitamins are a plus as well. A fitness instructor told me that you can check how well a vitamin absorbs within the body by dropping it in apple cider vinegar and see how well it dissolves. interesting? I have not done this or have heard of this. Just thought I would tell ya'll...

Cyndi-how much are your Mountain Munchies?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-24 9:58 AM (#44738 - in reply to #44696)

Expert Yogi

My Mountain Munchies??? Well that is something I'm doing for a friend over here at a mountain mercantile store. They vary. Although, I quit making the real healthy ones, Molasses killed it, so I tried toning it down and still didn't fair that well with them. People don't know how to eat anymore. Those Breakfast bars were too dam healthy. One guy said, well if it were a brownie I'd pay $2 for it. I was like WTF? It had more ingredients than a flippin brownie would have (organic chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans, organic sugar and molasses), but it didn't have the white processed, fat, sugary, hurt your teeth ingredients which is what most people expect in today's world. Soo, I'm more into the mini loaf banana nut breads and mini loaf spanish coffee cakes. I made Rugalach the other day...it was a hit, but that always is. I don't know if I could get them to San Antonio quick enough for you to have them fresh...but I can share my recipes if you like and you make big batches in your spare time. If you really want some...I'm game. I do so many different items. I really like baking desserts and quick things because I do a lot of trail hiking and need something small and satisfying when I'm in backcountry.

You mentioned nuts or something..I'll give you a good mix that will tied you over when out and about. Take raw almonds and mix them with cranberries in a small baggie. Be careful with Walnuts..they harbor flukes and it is hard to get them out of your body. Most people do not know about this. If you use Walnuts, bake them in the oven on 350 for at least 20 mins. That will help. I eat the almonds raw because they are the number one Healthier nut. Another good mix, is Dried Coconut, raisins (pistas) - mix of gold and brown, raw sunflower seeds, and raw peanuts. There are so many variations of what you can mix. I don't like certain dried fruits with all the sulfites they use, so I try to avoid those and eat fresh fruits instead. My sister hated me on a back packing trip once. I had a cold and was eating cooked pears (pears are good for colds and coughing - cooked with honey). So, I carried a ton of pears and it weighed our packs down. She always reminds me of that whenever we talk about planning a trip. I just hate some of those packaged foods that you eat on the trail - UGH!! My sister is the packaged food Queen.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)