YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IMPACT self defense for women
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-20 5:04 PM (#44187)
Subject: IMPACT self defense for women

For those of you who don't know already, I've been trying various forms of self defense since the summer. It's not really a hobby (though it may seem like it ). I expect my kids to learn self defense, and I can't ask something of them I won't do myself. So off I went to check things out.

Now, my experience is as a regular chick only. I have zero martial arts training. I've seen many arguments start because one person felt an endorsement of one particular approach was a slight to their particular style. This is not my intention. I'm only posting what I feel worked best for me, and what I think the average woman would really benefit from.

Check out this link: Bay Area Model Mugging. On the left and down a bit is a video link under "Watch the Impact Video." It's an excellent, dead-on representation of the Impact program for women.

After fooling around with 3 different forms of self defense over the last 9 months or so, this is by far my absolute favorite! You get to use your technique with 100% force, and your strengths as a woman (hips, legs) are emphasized and used effectively against your attacker. The men in these clips are not exaggerating their reactions to blows (that wouldn't do us any favors) ~ you really can knee a guy and knock him unconscious.

Impact has chapters all across the country. Most Impact sites will link to others across the nation. You can also Goggle either "Impact" or "Model Mugging Self Defense." The course is usually 2 weekends long (roughly 20 hours of training), and it's a total blast! Not only do you get comfortable defending yourself, but the women bond instantly in class, and the power and support you feel is incredible.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask. And let me know if you decide to sign up!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-26 11:10 PM (#45057 - in reply to #44187)
Subject: RE: IMPACT self defense for women

Wanted to add a little more after my second (and final) weekend:

"Incredible" is the first word that comes to mind. Our instructors asked for a course evaluation today, and I told them that despite messing around with different self defense courses for the last several months, this was the first time I actually felt capable of defending myself.

The second weekend involved reviewing old techniques and learning many new ones. We continued with realistic rape scenarios from the verbal stage to finish, and we had all-out brawls where the attacker just wouldn't go down (these continuous fights lasted anywhere from 90 seconds to a little under 3 minutes...exhausting).

One of my fights involved me "sleeping" in my bed. My attacker "woke" me up by straddling me, holding my arms down, leaning into my ear and whispering in a sing-songy voice, "Youuu left your window open." As you can imagine, the verbal taunts are almost as hard (sometimes harder) than the physical fight. But as he continued to taunt me, dominate me really, my instructor was right there on the mat with me, reminding me to breathe and wait...breathe and wait...

In a situation like this, it's hard not to panic. But the course gives you plenty of practice and tons of support. You're never out there alone.

The last day involves a graduation, which is really quite touching. At the end the male instructors (our attackers) gave us flowers. Tiger Lillies, to be exact ~ a flower that represents both sides of a woman. I thought that was cute.

Please consider taking the course. I can blab about it until I'm blue in the face, but you won't really "get it" until you do it yourself. And feel free to PM me with any questions!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-27 12:03 AM (#45074 - in reply to #44187)
Subject: RE: IMPACT self defense for wo

Sounds like fun. I think it's interesting that you didn't really feel like you could defend yourself until taking this course. I've dabbled with a number of different styles over the years, and generally I've felt similarily, just couldn't use it in a practical sense, so it was just a lot of exercise. This is part of the reason I decided to take up yoga, lots of exercise, more peace of mind.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-27 12:30 AM (#45075 - in reply to #45074)

One of our class assistants took Aikido for 2 years and said the same thing. She admired the art, but she never felt she could really use it. But in this class, we had rape survivors break down in tears, thanking the instructors for lifting the fear off of their shoulders. One woman who survived a break in said she hadn't been able to really sleep well at night until taking this course. It's not perfect, but it's so much better than hitting faceless, motion-less pads or pulling punches with an unpadded partner.

I did a little yoga today whilst waiting for my turn to fight. I was trying to calm myself down, and I found downdog to be pretty effective. Full forward bend not so much for some reason ~ I felt too lightheaded (maybe going fully upside down with a serious adrenaline surge isn't a good idea). But downdog was perfect.

I was showing the girls alternate nostril breathing too. We had a good time with that.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-27 8:46 AM (#45091 - in reply to #45075)

Kabu - 2006-02-27 12:30 AM

One of our class assistants took Aikido for 2 years and said the same thing. She admired the art, but she never felt she could really use it.

Aikido's a special case, IMHO. It's a really advanced art in the sense that most of the moves would require years of serious practice to be able to use in RL. Some of the others which focus on punches and kicks (which are much simplier to learn, and harder to screw up) probably are effective almost from day one. I took Hapikido, which combines Aikido and Tae Kwon Do, including punches and kicks. In a few months I probably could have thrown a few competent kicks and punches. Probably still couldn't defend myself, but much better.

But in this class, we had rape survivors break down in tears, thanking the instructors for lifting the fear off of their shoulders. One woman who survived a break in said she hadn't been able to really sleep well at night until taking this course.

I'll keep it in mind if I ever run into anybody in this condition.

It's not perfect, but it's so much better than hitting faceless, motion-less pads or pulling punches with an unpadded partner.

Which is another problem with a lot of martial arts training, you train to pull your punches. When you get into a real fight, you pull your punches. Supposedly Bruce Lee used to pay his stunt men double or triple because he never pulled a punch.

I was showing the girls alternate nostril breathing too. We had a good time with that.

I love that one, loads of fun, how did you introduce it to the group? I'm usually nervous about admitting I know anything about yoga. (Little bit wierd for most of the peeps around here)

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-27 8:47 AM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-27 10:46 AM (#45110 - in reply to #45091)

The women in the group formed a pretty quick bond ~ probably because of the nature of the workshop. We would often look to each other for support or calm each other down. It was right before our first fight of the day, and we were trying to shake off the building tension. I jokingly said, "That's it. I have to balance out the hemispheres of my brain before I can kick this guy's ass." Of course, we all laughed, and I just started. They thought it was cool and started doing it as well. We giggled and stuff, which was probably just as good for the tension, and we breathed.

About Aikido, I had considered taking it. I noticed our class assistant was very graceful in her falls and on the ground, and we all tried to imitate her as best we could. I figured that was from her Aikido training.

Yes, pulling punches is no fun. I'm so used to hitting full force now, I don't want to play fight anymore. In fact, I signed up to volunteer as class assistant for future programs so that I may both help out and keep my skills up. They will be offering advanced classes in weapons training ~ I'm waiting patiently for that as well.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-27 11:11 AM (#45116 - in reply to #45110)

Kabu - 2006-02-27 10:46 AM

About Aikido, I had considered taking it. I noticed our class assistant was very graceful in her falls and on the ground, and we all tried to imitate her as best we could. I figured that was from her Aikido training.

Falling was probably the best thing I learned from Aikido. I loved doing the various rolls and hard falls. It definitely helps with fear of inversions. I don't think I have any, partially because I realize how easy it is to roll out of them.

Worst fall I ever had was falling into a plastic bin that was right in front of me due to lack of space in the studio. Didn't hurt a bit, but it really messed up the bin.

Aikido itself is a lot of fun, but I'd almost put it into a classification of dancing rather than a martial arts form. If you really want to be a no-holds barred kick a$$ fighter there are much deadlier and quicker (to learn) arts. If you enjoy attempting to find much less harmful solutions to a variety of challenges Aikido might be for you. I like to joke that you'll never see two Aikido masters get into a fight because ALL the moves in aikido start with the other party attacking you in some way. Probably one of the most peaceful martial arts forms.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-27 3:04 PM (#45136 - in reply to #45116)

Yoga Journal featured an article on Aikido a few years ago, calling it the "yoga" of self defense. I thought that was pretty cool and tucked it away in the back of my mind as something I would try out some day.

Level 1 Krav taught us a little about falling and getting up safely. I never laid out a plastic bin, but I did once forget which way I wanted to roll in mid-fall, resulting in a serious face plant.

Impact involved a ton of falling to the ground. We either dropped on our own or were pulled/thrown down. Because of the nature of the fights, there's also a lot of "scurrying" going on. That term doesn't sound too impressive. "Scrambling" might be a better word. Anyway, it resulted in some serious mat burn.

I love to hear how yoga and forms of self defense compliment each other! Your example of fearless inversions is pretty neat. I often wonder when and where yoga comes into play for me like this. Like the breathing during a tense situation, or falling, etc. A couple of women commented on how quick I was. One said I could move up and down very fast, and I thought of core strength and sun salutations. Let's face it, we may not be moving at lightening speed during a practice, but we're up and down constantly. Those muscles had to come into play when I dropped, redirected a kick, spun on my back, or just got the he!! out of the way. Our attackers would try to either pin or re-pin us during a fight. Maybe it was luck, but they never got close enough to re-pin me.

Muahahahaha...yogini power.
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-01 10:19 PM (#45414 - in reply to #45136)

You get a class picture too! Let's play "Where's Kabu?"

GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-01 10:41 PM (#45421 - in reply to #44187)

(impact6hx.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments impact6hx.jpg (47KB - 250 downloads)
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-01 10:53 PM (#45425 - in reply to #45421)

Very good!!!

Don't ya love the mugger head gear?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-01 11:17 PM (#45426 - in reply to #45425)

Kabu - 2006-03-01 10:53 PM

Very good!!!

Don't ya love the mugger head gear?

Woot! I wasn't sure if that was you, or the person in front in yellow. It's kinda hard to tell with the pic.

As far as the head gear goes, I think I saw the whole thing on an episode of Roseanne. I don't remember it being called IMPACT, but it was something similar. The head gear just reminded me, because it's so distinct.
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-02 9:42 AM (#45448 - in reply to #45426)

I know, the picture isn't too crisp. And I have 2 different hair colors on my website, which could throw a person off a little.

It's an interesting group. One girl is leaving for the Peace Corps, one may be leaving to live on a working farm, we have a couple of professors, a social worker ~ it was neat to learn about everyone. Our muggers are cool too. I think one of them is an airbrush artist.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)