YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and back pain.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

flexible
Posted 2006-02-17 5:14 AM (#43924)
Subject: Yoga and back pain.

I started doing yoga a year ago. Heard and read about it long time ago but never practiced it. I am a healthy person, hardly ever get sick, never got any pains. Yoga was not a problem for me from the very beginning as I am naturally very flexible. But I noticed that since I started doing yoga I would wake up every morning with the lower back pain. I stopped my practice for a few weeks and the pain disappeared.
It didn't stop me from doing yoga, I still try to practice it regularly, but the lower back pain is back. I am not a whinner, I don't take pills and it is not like the pain is killing me... it's just there...
So I was wonderring if you guys have any suggestions on how I can get rid of this kind of pain naturally.
I do the asanas for the lower back pain and they help, I am just wonderring WHY I have this kind of ailment when I do yoga?...
Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-17 10:13 AM (#43931 - in reply to #43924)
Subject: RE: Yoga and back pain.

Expert Yogi

Hi Marina - are you practicing on your own or do you have a teacher? It would be good to have someone watch you do the poses and see what is happening. Naturally flexible people often do the poses with their flexibility and don't engage the appropriate muscles needed to support the rest of the body. Do you have an idea of which poses cause you trouble?
flexible
Posted 2006-02-17 2:08 PM (#43944 - in reply to #43931)

Hello Glenda
Thank you so much for your quick responce. I do both. I bought a lot of yoga DVDs from this site, that is how I started. Then later on I found a yoga teacher in our tiny little town She is a wonderful teacher and I enjoy her classes, but I have such a busy life that it is more convenient for me to do yoga on my own when I have time at home.
I still go to her classes from time to time for a good instruction.

Namaste

shnen
Posted 2006-02-22 7:53 AM (#44428 - in reply to #43924)

Where exactly is the pain happening?

it could be a slight variation in a pose that you need to change in order to fix the issue.
You could also be flexible in some ways - but could be pushing it without realizing it. Our bodies are very complex and each pose in yoga targets a tiny little different area depending on how much you are pushing yourself, even having a foot turned the wrong way can make a difference.

have you spoken to your instructor about it?
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-22 12:13 PM (#44479 - in reply to #43924)

On the other hand, yoga has a habit of bringing to the surface any form of weakness in the body (and mind too). It might be an old injury or something that has been stressed in the past. It tends to iron itself out again after a while.

I agree with the fact that bendy people tend to overdo it and i have seen quite a few "collapse" in asanas, like dog for example. Strengthening things can help in this case.
sideshow
Posted 2006-02-25 2:16 PM (#44895 - in reply to #43924)

Funny, I was actually going to post something about this in the general yoga.....I actually already sorta did in relation to lotus pose....

But yes, im not sure whats going on, i did my yoga routine yesterday, and today my lower back from my spine down is quite stiff...and its mostly all around my spine area, and it sorta swells outward.

I was thinking prior ( with my lotus pose post ) that maybe i just activated, worked out some muscles in my low back that havent really been used. But im wondering about that today.

There is a new pose in my sequencing I have added, and im wondering if this is doing it to my back. What it is, is, from downward dog, you exhale step forward with a leg like you are doing a lunge, but instead of lunging you actually widen your toes and straighten your leg out, and sorta bend over and touch the floor with your hands on each side of your extended front leg.

I usually do this in the last round of my sun salutations as it sets me up, and gives me a bit of a stretch preparing for triangles and such.

I dunno, you have to lengthen your tosro - back to extend to touch the floor. so maybe im stretching/over stretching some muscles down there in order to do this.
sideshow
Posted 2006-02-25 4:53 PM (#44909 - in reply to #43924)

on my break I sat in the HOmedic shiatsu massage chair thing at GNC and let it do its thing for a few minutes..

Anyways, my back feels alot better now, its still stiff, but not nearly as bad. So at least with me, I can nail the issue down to muscular instead of say...skeletal ( i.e. somethin is up with my spine and doing the yoga poses is aggrivating it ). So that means either Im doinga pose wrong or overstretching...OR im just working out muscles in my back that arent or havent been used much during my life.

I have heard of this. In fact I have a buddy whose sister is a chiropractor, who told him during an adjustment that he has been using his neck and upper back muscles ONLY to sit up and such. So like when he gets out of bed he is pulling himself up with his neck muscles, instead of using his entire back...so when he engages those other back muscles it really messes with him...well not to mention the fact he hasnt been using them its put alot of undu pressure on his neck vertabrae and such.

Just a thought...also you may not be using/engaging as many of those back muscles since its winter time and there isnt as much you are able to do, like yard work/jogging etc....then again if you live in a southern state, that last bit could be null and void.

anyways, hopefully my experience may guide you some to find the reason you have pain.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)