YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else do greens+?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

shnen
Posted 2006-02-15 11:17 AM (#43730)
Subject: Anyone else do greens+?

Just being curious... I do the greens + Daily Detox every morning with my viatmins for over 2 years now (using various flavours and types of it)... anyone else go through the torture to gain the outstanding benefits?

if so - any suggestions on how to get it down better? I just use mine in water, but I'd like to hear what other concauctions people have come up with...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-15 11:30 AM (#43732 - in reply to #43730)
Subject: RE: Anyone else do greens+?

Expert Yogi

I don't do bottle greens or anything like that. I do however have a recipe that is good for occasional use, not every day, unless it is needed. This is where that intuitive stuff comes in handy,

I take a handful of lettuce or spinach - choose 1 only, place in a blender. Then add 1 teaspoon of peeled and grated fresh ginger, about 20 strands of Wheatgrass and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. Blend thoroughly and then drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, water is okay and recommended before you drink this blended drink. This is great for removing heat in the liver and for removing stagnation of food and qi flow in the stomach.

The other recipe I have is for your kidneys and liver and when your're overheated in the summertime and have sluggish digestion due to various reasons or when parasites are present in the body. It is also good to drink in the evening before bedtime. I take fresh Bitter Melon and blend with water in the blender. Drink it 2 hours before bedtime and at least 2 hours after meals. In fact, this is good to do when you have had a lite dinner or no dinner at all, and or when fasting.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-15 6:59 PM (#43785 - in reply to #43732)

Expert Yogi

I make green soup with all the green stuff I can find - parsley, spinach, cabbage, green onions, kale, celery, broccoli, etc. with organic broth and then throw it all in the blender. Garlic, basil, rosemary etc. for flavour and sometimes a yam or some carrots for fun Great for lunch.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-15 7:07 PM (#43787 - in reply to #43785)

Expert Yogi

Good grief Tourist, that sounds a little scary to me, Like too many green things = too many trips to the bathroom,

Notice in my wheatgrass recipe I said only 20 strands of leaves....some people take this to the extreme and use way too much wheatgrass, then wonder why they....well, you know what I'm talking about don't ya??
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 7:26 AM (#43831 - in reply to #43730)

I have no idea where you guys find the time to do all that blending and cooking... so I find Greens + a great alternative for being busy - this way I know I am getting all the good stuff I should be!

Just curious though, where do you guys find all this wheatgrass and kale and stuff?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-16 9:34 AM (#43839 - in reply to #43831)

Expert Yogi

Actually the greens+ stuff is out of a bottle right?? I probably wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I have a bottle of E3 Live that my Atlanta neighbor sold me, swore by it, yadda yadda, just to get her off my back I gave in. It's still in the freezer. I give it to my dog Yodha sometimes cause he's on a natural food diet.

I like the idea of eating things that are fresh, not frozen, boxed or canned. That is where the real benefit and nutrients are - fresh!! You can find wheatgrass and kale and stuff in your grocers PRODUCE section. Some have it and some don't. Check out Earthfare and Whole Foods Market...they are sure to have it.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 10:08 AM (#43847 - in reply to #43730)

yes - it is in a plastic bottle that you mix with water, or whatever. I had the pleasure of meeting the creator of it, Sam Graci and he is actually quite phonomenal and knowledgeable in the health and wellness - and how the body works and acidity and such.

I get all my produce organically and it is delivered to my door (timesaver), so I can't say week to week what shows up - its mostly local farmers, with a bit of variety thrown in. So going to the grocery store and buying produce there is not in the question, and I don't have any natural markets close to me to make it the least bit convenient (hence the delivery system).

I wouldn't be so quick to slam it without doing your research first...
tourist
Posted 2006-02-16 10:21 AM (#43851 - in reply to #43847)

Expert Yogi

Shannon - making soup is incredibly easy. You can actually throw it all together in about 15 minutes. Saute the celery, garlic and onions (and if you are going to blender-ize it you don't even have to worry about neatness in the chopping) then chuck in all the other veg, a lot of water and add some nice organic broth cubes (or use broth in the tetra packs - we have good organic brands in our grocery stores), and let it cook for most of the evening. You can put the hand held blender in it right away or put it in the fridge overnight and blend it later. The hand blender makes a slightly coarser texture and the regular blender can make it a real puree if you prefer. I have been adding a couple of handfuls of barley lately. It gives a nice texture Then I package it up in single serving sized containers and *poof* a whole week's worth of lunches.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-16 10:49 AM (#43858 - in reply to #43847)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I did do my research....I bought some and tried it for a few weeks myself, that's research enough for me and the best kind of research....I was my own guinea pig,

You shouldn't be so quick to believe everything you see either, even if you did meet the creator of it. Green's and E3 Live foods aren't exactly the BEST soruces of greens. E3 live is an algae that grows in Klamath Lake, Oregon. The best sources of greens is in a fresh food diet. All the ingredients in Greens + can be obtained easily, in fact, I include 90% and then some of my own, of all their ingredients in my every day diet...why would I need it in a bottle? Besides, it's not as fresh in the bottle and to me in my vocabulary, food in a bottle is basically DEAD food. I believe the Qi gets zapped when it is processed this way...contrary to what popular opinion says, this is how I feel about it and you inquired to this forum for opinions and experience.

How nice that you get your produce delivered to your door. I bet you could get some of those items included in your selection. Also, you don't HAVE to have all those various greens at once to maintain a healthy body. If you eat seasonal vegetables, which is probably what the farmers are providing you with, you will be just fine. I too live in an area that have tailgate markets for farmer's where choices are selective...I also have an Earthfare and other Organic Market down the road too. Most grocer's will be happy to order special produce...if you ask them and if its available.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 10:58 AM (#43862 - in reply to #43730)

You're right Cyndi - I did ask for opinions and experiences and I do value what you have said and expresed - and for that I thank you.
Even though I live in a large city my schedule doesn't permit me to drive to the nearest whole foods (I wish), I do receive many wonderful supplies in my delivery all the time - however some days with my time I have no time to prepare them, so personally, I feel that doing the greens + is better then nothing at all.

I am curious to see what others say so I can broaden my knowledge and influence my opinions... like you said - you can't believe everything you read...so once again - thank you for your input!

Posted 2006-02-16 11:08 AM (#43865 - in reply to #43730)

i don't do greens plus.

i don't have a juicer, but i use my blender for a lot of things. i do make a lot of smoothies, and i use both fresh and frozen fruit and greens. i also soak a lot of nuts too--to make 'nut creams' to add to smoothies. i prefer to use raw nuts, soak them, rinse, and then blend with coconut water (coconut milk has added coconut and sugar). i tend to use boxed coconut milk, when i cannot get organic young coconuts.

i don't spend too much time in the kitchen. i eat a lot of things raw or blended into smoothies. I sprout my own beans (my bunny got into the last batch though!) which only takes a few days, i have my own wheatgrass too that i grow, and i grow a number of herbs in pots. The rabbit is intrepid, i have to be careful where i put them. This mostly requires watering and watching, doing things in advance. it only takes a few minutes a day.

i make a lot of salads and a lot of soups. i find soups to be easy. i used organic boxed vegetable broth or i make my own and then freeze it into cubes. This way, veggie broth is always excessable for quick use. If i have more time, i'll let the soup sit--that is, give it the full 1.5 or so hours that it needs to make a good broth, and then add the ingredients for the last 1/2 hour or so. But usually, i just toss everything into a pot and let it do it's thing for about 20 minutes (that's how long it takes dried lentils to cook up--i add the veggies such as kale, etc, separate).

i also do organic produce, but from local farms and the local HFS. I do fill the gaps with Trader Joe's organic produce and occassionally the expensive HFS. we shop twice a week--it takes about an hour each trip. We've considered delivery, and those that we've considered allow us to choose the amounts of what we want and which veggies and fruit that we want. Otherwise, you have to be pretty creative.
flexible
Posted 2006-02-17 4:42 AM (#43922 - in reply to #43851)

then chuck in all the other veg, a lot of water and add some nice organic broth cubes (or use broth in the tetra packs - we have good organic brands in our grocery stores), and let it cook for most of the evening.

Dear tourist,
By letting it cook for most of the evening do you mean actually boiling or simmering it for a couple of hours? Don't you loose all vitamins from your veggies that way? Or may be I just misunderstood you. Would you be so kind to clarify it for me? Thank you.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-17 10:17 AM (#43932 - in reply to #43922)

Expert Yogi

I simmer the soup for a couple of hours. Cooking the veggies in water and throwing out the water would lose the nutrients but as far as I know, most of the nutrients stay in the soup. You could be a little more cautious than I am and just cook the soup until it is barely done if you wanted. One of the reasons I "stew" it a bit longer is that I often use the tougher parts of the plants - parsley and broccoli stems for example, and they take longer to cook down.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-17 2:17 PM (#43946 - in reply to #43730)

thanks for all the hints and sharing what you do. I guess the things I do are steaming my veggies, and using my crockpot for stews and soups... I LOVE MY CROCKPOT.

the hardest part with me is my boyfreind can't live on soup alone - so I spend lots of time making dinners that will (hopefully) last a few evenings... its not just me - and he is a contactor so he needs lots of food to keep happy ;)
tvd
Posted 2006-04-25 4:05 PM (#50471 - in reply to #43946)

I have been using GREENS+ for a while now. Mostly the Protein Greens. At times I get lazy and forget to take it. I sure know it when that happens. It works for me!
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-05-03 6:41 PM (#51135 - in reply to #43730)

So two of you use Greens+ and it "works" for you; what does it do? what benefits have you seen? I took a quick look at the website & didn't find any specific mentions except about how it cured a quadriplegic I am not a quadriplegic so I don't need it for that.
rome390
Posted 2009-03-02 10:15 AM (#114066 - in reply to #43730)

im using greens + multi, i found the best way to drink greens is mix it with half orange juice and half water and drink it with a straw, I actually enjoy the taste of it drinking it this way.
alkalinelife421
Posted 2009-03-09 12:45 AM (#114360 - in reply to #43730)

i did a lot of research on green drinks awhile ago and found some eye-opening findings..... SOME are crap! i looked at the ingredient list for greens+ and it appears to be pretty good. it contains soy, which i'd usually stay away from (hard for the body to digest) and it also contains brown rice which although it was nutritional benefits, is a pretty cheap filler and no where near worth the $40 a jar you pay for it. frm my findings, the most nutrient dense powdered drink out there is the green barley juice
from young barley grass plants. it's grown organically, in cold environments, causing the young shoots to be super nutrient dense. according to some nutrionists, its a complete whole food, meaning you can eat nothing but this barley grass powder for the rest of your life and you'd have all the vitamins, minerals, fats, enzymes, etc you'd need to survive. Now... that's kinda hard to believe, but as you can see from the ingredient list i've posted below, it's pretty loaded with goodies. I use a brand called alka green, cuz my dad sells it in his vitamin store, but any barley grass powder that's 100% natural, organic, and made from freeze-dried juice of the young plants will do for you. Hope that helps!

Seven Tablets or 1 Tsp. of Powder:
Vitamins
Vitamin A 1750 iu
Vitamin K 280 mcg
Vitamin C 11 mg
Vitamin E 1.1 mcg
Thiamin 10 mcg
Choline 1 mg
Riboflavin 71 mcg
Pyridoxine 45 mcg
Vitamin B-12 1 mcg
Niacin 263 mcg
Pantothenic 84 mcg
Biotin 4 mcg
Folic Acid 38 mcg

Minerals
Calcium 18 mg
Phosphorus 18 mg
Potassium 112 mg
Magnesium 3.6 mg
Iron 2 mg
Manganese .35 mg
Selenium 3.5 mcg
Sodium 1 mg
Zinc 17.5 mcg
Iodine 7 mcg
Copper .02 mg
Cobalt 1.75 mcg

Protein 800 mg
Crude Fiber 600 mg
Calories 10
Chlorophyll 19 mg
Carbohydrates 1.3 gm

Amino Acids:
Lysine 29 mg
Histidine 16 mg
Arginine 39 mg
Asparatic Acid 78 mg
Threonine 37 mg
Glutamic Acid 85 mg
Proline 33 mg
Glycine 41 mg
Alanine 48 mg
Valine 44 mg
Isoleucine 31 mg
Leucine 57 mg
Tyrosine 18 mg
Phenylanlanine 38 mg
Methionine 15 mg
Cysine 8 mg
Trytophan 4 mg
Amide 10 mdg
Purines 2 mg
Serine 85 mg

Ginkgo
Posted 2009-03-11 9:45 PM (#114479 - in reply to #43730)

The greens drinks, like Greens Plus are great for nutrition. There are many of them. They are full of superfoods. The Perfect Greens have much more of the greens since it does not have lots of lecithin like Greens +. Lecithin is good for you so I buy a pound of it for $14 and buy the Perfect Greens.

When I am at Traders Joes I buy the Greens Plus chocolate bars since they are only $2.29. At Whole Foods and other places, they are over $3. The bars taste great and chocolate is healthy for you. Sugar and milk are not healthy for you like in most chocolate.

Edited by Ginkgo 2009-03-11 9:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)