YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can't do full roll up....why??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

ann
Posted 2006-02-09 8:54 AM (#43323)
Subject: can't do full roll up....why??

I have been taking pilates classes for about 1 1/2yrs now & LOVE It. I still can't do a full roll up. I have to bend my knees & pull myself up. I have never ever in my entire life been able to do a full sit up either. I am not nor have I ever been overweight. So that 's not the reason I can't do this. I don't know what the problem is. I also lift weights to try to build up my back muscles but still .....no go.
Question: Would anyone know why I still can't do a full roll up?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2006-02-10 8:28 AM (#43416 - in reply to #43323)
Subject: RE: can't do full roll up....why??

abdominals still may not be strong enough. there are some exercises that take some people a long time to be able to do. What has your instructor said? it's hard to assess the problem without seeing what you're doing as well.

some things to try:
at most studios they have straps at the bottom of the cusioned mat. do you have anything you could brace your feet on with feet flexed? the strap should be over the front of the foot. it can help defining problem areas on the roll up.

make sure legs are pressed together (in my style we flex the feet) reaching the heals forward, bottom is tight and the pelvic bone slightly tucks as you start to roll up.

check where your arms are as well. bring your arms and upper body to the 100 position first, slightly tuck under and deepen the abdominals, hug legs together.

again some people just have a real hard time with this one. keep building the abdominal muscles and just keep working on it. i fyou can do the foot strap i think it would be really beneficial to you. where do you take class? in a gym or a studio?

hope we can help
thanks
D

Edited by throwtoy 2006-02-10 8:29 AM
reinbeau
Posted 2006-02-15 9:13 PM (#43811 - in reply to #43323)
Subject: RE: can't do full roll up....w

Sometimes the addition of just the slightest bit of weight helps.  We use a body bar across the ankles, even though it really can't hold the legs down, somehow it helps those who can't seem to roll up without lifting their legs.  Sandbags would work, too.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-16 5:43 PM (#43906 - in reply to #43323)
Subject: RE: can't do full roll up....why??

Hiya,
A sit-up does not depend on strong abdominals, but on strong hip-flexors. the abdominals are only responsible for lifting the upper back off the floor-the hip flexors are responsible for the rest of the work. Therefore, sit-ups are no indicator of strong abdominal muscles.
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)