YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mala Beads
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-08 10:28 PM (#43304)
Subject: Mala Beads

Expert Yogi

I am wearing the mala beads that I bought at a temple in Tamil Nadu.
These are Rudraskh Mala, with 108 on the string. They are seeds from the
fruit of the Rudraksha tree, which I am told grows mainly in Indonesia, although
also found in Nepal and India. I have no clue where the beads that I am wearing
grew.

Yet, I do find them calming, as they are reputed to be. Just psychological response?
How would I know?

They remind me of Sri Meenakshi.

Can anybody tell me more -- I am on the edge of an idea that I still cannot see !

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-08 11:26 PM (#43312 - in reply to #43304)
Subject: RE: Mala Beads

Expert Yogi

Hey BG,

Rudraksha Mala's have so many meanings.  I have several in my car, I sleep with them, I chant Om Nama Shivia in Bed 108 times with my Rudraksha.  They offer protection and it is said that it is good for your health if you take a shower and drink from the beads.  However, you do not eat meat when wearing Rudraksha, take it off when you eat meat.

Satyam told me a story about Rudraksha.  When Shiva created Rudraksha, he created 3 of them with only 1 line, most Rudraksha's have 5 lines. One was for the Universe, one for Earth and one for himself.  The one line Rudraksha's are rare and only one is produced from each Rudraksha tree.  It is very lucky to find one of these and the person that does find it is a true Shiva Devotee.  However, if you do find the one line Rudraksha, you have to treat it properly by doing proper pooja, meditation and you have to hide it so no one can see it, or else it will disappear.  Only during MahaShivaratri and Big Special Shiva Poojas can you bring the one line Rudraksha out for everyone to see.

So, Rudraksha to me represents Shiva.  You can always tell a Shiva devotee by their wearing Rudraksha.

Om Nama Shivia

If I think of anything else interesting, I'll let you know.  I'm sure Neel has some interesting comments about Rudraksha too.  BTW, MahaShivaratri is coming soon this month, on the 26th. 

sideshow
Posted 2006-02-09 11:37 AM (#43345 - in reply to #43304)

Hey, I got some questions on Mala Beads...

I've seen some images of people wearing mala beads as a bracelet, and some wearing them around their neck, etc...

Are their certain types of mala beads for different wearings? ...like is there a certain kind of mala bead maid to wear around the wrist, and a different kind for a necklace etc??

does the bead that the knot is tied inside of count as one of the 108 beads ? - we know what those are...the funky eggplant shaped bead that hides the knot that forms the string into a loop....

I was considering making my own mala beads, by either buying some glass/stone beads, or maybe some nice wooden beads....Is this okay to do? Or do i need to actually "buy" them from like..yoga.com or some chinese store?

and the ultimate question, im sure all the guys are yearning to know....

Does size really matter??

I ask this cuz I have seen mala beads that are the size of peas, and mala beads the size of a medium sized animals eyeball....

Just curious....thanks if anyone decides to answer..
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-09 12:00 PM (#43348 - in reply to #43304)

Size does matter, I think the pea sized ones are easier to run through you fingers. Most of the ones that seem to be larger than this are rudrashas, which are just naturally larger. I've heard that the larger ones are actually less potent than the smaller ones, so I've got a set about the size of gumballs.

As far as making you own, go for it. IMHO, the main purpose is a simple timing device for meditation. Instead of using a kitchen timer, you're doing your mantra X number of times, and the mala helps keep track of that.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-09 10:04 PM (#43401 - in reply to #43312)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi -- Thanks... I will remember the part about meat, which I did not know.

The temple at which I bought these was a Siva temple, actually an old,
large, and amazing one. I did puja there...it was really something else.

I still have some of the red powder for your forehead -- what is it called?
By the time I left, the priests had gotten it all over....

I was kind of novel, as a westerner who was not simply a tourist... some Indian
devotees came over and posed for pictures with me... maybe b/c I was
wearing black like them, although in jeans rather than a dothi, and I had
similar ash and powder on my face.

...bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-10 9:50 AM (#43420 - in reply to #43304)

Dear BG:
You shall find lot of information in this regard if you do a google search using Rudraksha and then select a very good site which gives brief but comprehensive information.

Neel
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-10 10:01 AM (#43421 - in reply to #43420)

Expert Yogi

Not to disrespect your opinion Neelbhai, in my experience, you have to be careful gathering information on the internet, there's also a lot of crap and misinformation too....but mostly crap.

I've pretty much given up on the internet to find the *true* sources of information when I need to know something.  I'd rather ask a *real* live person. 

If you want temple or Hindu information, go to any *true* South Indian temple in your area.  They have priests there that will be happy to answer all of your questions.  They also have extensive library's with rows and rows of good books from other Swami's written in English and for very cheap!!  Some of my best books only cost me $2 but hardly ever more than $10.  If you want collector books, they cost more, but the information books are inexepensive.  Like Swami Sivananda books from the Divine Life Society puts their books in most temples.  So does, Swami Jyotrimayananda from Miami who runs the Yoga Research Foundation. 

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-10 10:17 AM (#43423 - in reply to #43401)

Expert Yogi

Red Powder = Tika...Grey Powder = Vabuti.

A typical setting in a Shiva temple would be something like this but not limited to. When you are worshipping Parvathi, they have the Red Tika offered.  When you are worshipping Shiva, it is Vabuti... like I said, usually but not limited to.

In India there are so many different ways of operating the temples and they all have slightly different aspects.  What may be one way of doing something might be different from another and it is okay.  Since my husband is Nepali and comes from that Hindu Kingdom they have more traditional methods of worshipping that say in North or South India.  Some temples are more strict than others and some are more modern.  In Nepal they are very traditional and not so modern...although, it is changing gradually.

DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-10 11:28 AM (#43433 - in reply to #43421)

Cyndi - 2006-02-10 10:01 AM

Not to disrespect your opinion Neelbhai, in my experience, you have to be careful gathering information on the internet, there's also a lot of crap and misinformation too....but mostly crap.

I've pretty much given up on the internet to find the *true* sources of information when I need to know something. I'd rather ask a *real* live person.

If you want temple or Hindu information, go to any *true* South Indian temple in your area. They have priests there that will be happy to answer all of your questions. They also have extensive library's with rows and rows of good books from other Swami's written in English and for very cheap!! Some of my best books only cost me $2 but hardly ever more than $10. If you want collector books, they cost more, but the information books are inexepensive. Like Swami Sivananda books from the Divine Life Society puts their books in most temples. So does, Swami Jyotrimayananda from Miami who runs the Yoga Research Foundation.

I think that there's a lot of crap in books and leaflets and things as well, so it's unfaor to say most stuff on the internet is crap. There are a lot of very good resources, you just need to scope them out. You can also try things like google print if you want. There's a number of online encyclopaedias that are very good, like encarta and the popular wikipedia also. You just have to get web savvy I guess and more familiar with all those sources of data. Of course asking a real person is good but when you think about it, people talk a lot of crap as well....so you're left with the task of verifying what you've heard/read against other sources.

I say get all the info you can and then see what you have - weight them up against each other and you should find something reliable.

Or just be paranoid and trust nothing and no one

The knot is called sumeru. It's different so that if you have your eyes closed, then you can tell you have come to the end of the mala. You start at the sumeru and end at the sumeru, never crossing it.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-10 1:14 PM (#43437 - in reply to #43433)

Expert Yogi

Actually DD, I am very web savvy...I've been doing the web long before it ever got popular and trendy.  In fact, there was a time when the internet was a totally different playing field, talk about the good ole' days....long gone.   There was a time you could do a search on the web just to get information and it was authentic.  It used to be a great tool. Now days, I'm sorry, 75% of the information is either crap and/or incomplete, or basically someone wanting to sell you something.  As for Wikepedia, I feel some of the information is okay, but then again, not complete. 

You cannot compare getting the correct information from a live source than from the internet where anything is posted as if it were true.  Don't get me wrong, I love browsing and surfing the net, I use it as a resource too, but I'm just saying that there is more than just what is on the net.  Don't forget human beings are the best resources for information.  That is coming from an "groovy" web savvy individual,   What I mean by that is a one on one direct conversation...which is better live but can be on the net too, if you know that person.  Like for instance, Neel is a great source for Indian culture and Vedanta Philosophy, I would have rather had him tell us something about Rudraksha, than make me search on the net...which I already know how to do.  Like DUH??  but, Oh well.

As for the leaflets in the temples and such, yea there are tons of information.  You wouldn't believe how many people have written about Buddhism and the false information out there, I agree.  But the ones I mentioned earlier from the temple are true blue authentic resources of information regarding Hinduism, Yoga and Vedanta Philosophy.

The sumeru you mentioned, in Tibetan Buddhism, my guru taught that it represented the head of Buddha or your guru.  Sometimes it is a knot, or sometimes it is a larger bead or the same size, but seperated from the mala itself, but yet connected as well.  It was also the starting point or the beginning as you stated, but never any rules about crossing it. See, that just proves that everyone has a different opinion. 

Anyway, just for your information, I am the last person to be paranoid and not trusting anyone...but I do know BS when I see it and that is something I don't care to dabble in. 

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-10 1:28 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-10 1:55 PM (#43444 - in reply to #43433)

DownwardDog - 2006-02-10 11:28 AM

The knot is called sumeru. It's different so that if you have your eyes closed, then you can tell you have come to the end of the mala. You start at the sumeru and end at the sumeru, never crossing it.

I've heard the same thing. If your planning on doing more than the 108 or however many beads there are on the mala, you turn around and go the other way. I've also heard a lot of different explainations for the knot, but I think the best answer is that it's so you can make it out with your eyes closed.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-10 2:00 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-10 1:57 PM (#43445 - in reply to #43444)

Expert Yogi

There are very many ways to use Mala beads.  The best way to use them is to use them the way you were taught...either by your guru or your guru parents. 

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-10 11:12 PM (#43468 - in reply to #43304)

Cyndiben wrote: Not to disrespect your opinion Neelbhai, in my experience, you have to be careful gathering information on the internet, there's also a lot of crap and misinformation too....but mostly crap.

Yes Cyndiben: Net contains lot of crap, therefore I suggested to select a very good website which has comprehensive information. When one goes through many websites, they would notice which website has good information. Website sometimes does not give the information directly but points to another reliable source.

While we are on this topic, let me give you an extremely interesting information:

The capital city of Nepal is called Kathamandu, which actually is Kashtamandap in Sanskrit Language. Kashtha means wood (dried of course), and mandap means a temple. Kashtamandap is the wooden temple of the great Yogi Gorakshanatha, who walked all the way from India to Nepal. Goraksha is the second of nine Nathas who actually formed the Hathayoga. And, his name appears in Hathayogapradipika. Goraksha's guru Machchindernath was the first of nine Nathas. And, he acknowledged Goraksha's greatness beyond his. Goraksha also wrote another work called Gorakhasamhita.

Now, why this story here. It is the Nathas who actually regularly wear Rudraksha beads mala, around neck, sometimes around head, around upper arms, wrists.

Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-10 11:17 PM (#43469 - in reply to #43423)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2006-02-10 10:17 AM

Red Powder = Tika...Grey Powder = Vabuti.

A typical setting in a Shiva temple would be something like this but not limited to. When you are worshipping Parvathi, they have the Red Tika offered.  When you are worshipping Shiva, it is Vabuti... like I said, usually but not limited to.

So I did some research today on the red and grey powders. The grey is generally described
as "ash". I'm not sure whether that's wood ash or something else. The red is variously
vermillion, Kumkuma (red turmeric) a zinc oxide (in some Sindoors) and so on.

Vermillion, btw, is mercuric sulphide.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-10 11:23 PM (#43470 - in reply to #43468)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-02-10 11:12 PMWhile we are on this topic, let me give you an extremely interesting information: The capital city of Nepal is called Kathamandu, which actually is Kashtamandap in Sanskrit Language. Kashtha means wood (dried of course), and mandap means a temple. Kashtamandap is the wooden temple of the great Yogi Gorakshanatha, who walked all the way from India to Nepal. Goraksha is the second of nine Nathas who actually formed the Hathayoga. And, his name appears in Hathayogapradipika. Goraksha's guru Machchindernath was the first of nine Nathas. And, he acknowledged Goraksha's greatness beyond his. Goraksha also wrote another work called Gorakhasamhita.Now, why this story here. It is the Nathas who actually regularly wear Rudraksha beads mala, around neck, sometimes around head, around upper arms, wrists.
I knew you would find something clever and wise to say Neelbhai, that's more like it!!
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-10 11:25 PM (#43471 - in reply to #43420)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-02-10 9:50 AM

Dear BG:
You shall find lot of information in this regard if you do a google search using Rudraksha and then select a very good site which gives brief but comprehensive information.

Neel

Dear Brother Neel,

I did find some information on Rudraksha online, although it was sort of uneven.
A lot of the sites have too many ads to take them seriously!

...... bg
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-10 11:27 PM (#43472 - in reply to #43468)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-02-10 11:12 PM

The capital city of Nepal is called Kathamandu, which actually is Kashtamandap in Sanskrit Language. Kashtha means wood (dried of course), and mandap means a temple. Kashtamandap is the wooden temple of the great Yogi Gorakshanatha, who walked all the way from India to Nepal. Goraksha is the second of nine Nathas who actually formed the Hathayoga. And, his name appears in Hathayogapradipika. Goraksha's guru Machchindernath was the first of nine Nathas. And, he acknowledged Goraksha's greatness beyond his. Goraksha also wrote another work called Gorakhasamhita.

Now, why this story here. It is the Nathas who actually regularly wear Rudraksha beads mala, around neck, sometimes around head, around upper arms, wrists.

Dear Brother Neel,

This is really interesting. The Nathas are known for their role in founding Hatha Yoga.
Did they wear these beads while practicing yogasana?

.... bg
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-11 8:05 AM (#43481 - in reply to #43472)

Expert Yogi

To further add to Neelbhai's story......Guru Gorakshanatha gave a Tarwal (sword) to the very first King of Nepal, Prithvi Narayan Shah.  He told the King that wherever he took this sword into battle, the land would be his.  Back during that time there was no such thing as Nepal and India like it is today...they were part of the same land, except I believe later the Nepalis area was called the Kingdom of Gorkha (that tidbit I got from the net ).  There were so many battles going on and everyone was fighting over the land and each other.  King Prithvi wanted to make one nation so that there would be peace, which was the purpose of that sword.

There are lots of stories on the internet about King Prithvi, but not about the sword and Guru Goraksha, that I could find, nor had I the time to go searching for it.  I got this information from my husband who is Nepali.  Besides, it was nicer to hear if from a native.  Satyam tells good stories about his culture.

So, if you want to learn more about the Royal Court of Nepal, here is the link to the *Official* web site.

http://www.nepalmonarchy.gov.np/index.html

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-11 8:10 AM
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-11 9:14 AM (#43484 - in reply to #43437)

Excellent Cyndi. I work in information retrieval and A.I, and so the web is often a great resource for me seeing all my fellow researchers would use the net primarily to write about their research and make it available, but there are bodies such as the ACM and the IEEE who make sure the information is of high quality in their resource sections. Maybe more bodies pinpointing authoritative information are necessary.

I'm pleased nobody here is calling it the "webnet" though

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-11 11:43 AM (#43489 - in reply to #43484)

DownwardDog - 2006-02-11 9:14 AM
I work in information retrieval and A.I,

What's up with comp sci people and yoga? Is there some sort of secret indoctrination when you go through X number of comp sci classes that you have to take yoga or something?
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-11 12:38 PM (#43497 - in reply to #43304)

I don't know many computer scientists who practice yoga actually. I think all walks of life converge in yoga. Maybe a scientific mind gains from yoga something it doesn't get alone. Mind you many great scientists are artists as well. Ok, not sure it has anything to do with computers
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-11 1:05 PM (#43498 - in reply to #43497)

DownwardDog - 2006-02-11 12:38 PM

I don't know many computer scientists who practice yoga actually. I think all walks of life converge in yoga. Maybe a scientific mind gains from yoga something it doesn't get alone. Mind you many great scientists are artists as well. Ok, not sure it has anything to do with computers

Almost all the local male yogis are in some for of technology. In addition to my self there's another programmer, an Electrical Engineer, an IT guy, and a Professor of Engineering (Comp Sci). There just seems to be a general trend in that direction. I've yet to met a mechanical engineer, or a civil engineer, or an accountant, or a banker. So it's not an absolute, but it does seem to be a trend.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-11 3:55 PM (#43500 - in reply to #43498)

Expert Yogi

I wonder if computer types tend to approach yoga as research and when they see measurable results (usually quickly) they dive in and fully commit. Feh - I can't tell if that is a question or a statement I just taught 3 classes in a row. Not recommended if you want to have a functioning brain at the end of it
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-11 7:29 PM (#43512 - in reply to #43500)

tourist - 2006-02-11 3:55 PM

I wonder if computer types tend to approach yoga as research and when they see measurable results (usually quickly) they dive in and fully commit. Feh - I can't tell if that is a question or a statement

Or maybe they just don't feel as self-concious in a room full of woman? There's also a shrink, and that's ALL the guys I can think of.

BTW, my prof used to have a cartoon that just about sums up programmers. It was titled "The worst punishment ever handed down to a hacker" The picture is a scruffy looking guy with a full beard stamping his foot on the ground while a judge rules from on high "From this point forward you will dress and behave normally in public".

In all seriousness, there does seem to be a bit of a hippy element to comp sci still.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-11 7:31 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-11 10:24 PM (#43519 - in reply to #43512)

Expert Yogi

So, I investigated the red powder used for Tilak or Bindhi a bit more.
It's called Kumkum and usually made from red turmeric. What, you
may ask, is RED turmeric? We all know that turmeric is yellow, no?
Thus the typical tone of a curry. But turmeric is also an acid/base
indicator which turns red when in a basic environment. You can find
find references to this in Michael Faraday's writings. So, one makes
red turmeric by treating (yellow) turmeric with a base, usually lime.

I managed to approximate this in the kitchen using my can of turmeric
and a bit of baking soda. I'm hoping to find a formula for getting
a brilliant red from the turmeric, and, failing that, I'm going to find
some zinc-oxide based sindhoor. --- Then, I will follow the example
of Hanuman after his conversation with Sita!

Life is too short not to enjoy it...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)