YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baking Yogis
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-07 1:48 PM (#43071)
Subject: Baking Yogis

Expert Yogi

Sponge Bob Banana wrote on another page...

"My daughter and I are planning my youngest's birthday party. We always like to try something new and different, and this year we'd like to serve everyone their own personal mini birthday cake for dessert.

We plan on starting the experiment this weekend, playing around with different recipes and molds. If we can get past that stage, we'll eventually have to figure out how to decorate the cakes. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!"

Cyndi responds:

Lori, you must go get a copy of the Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker (2nd version for Ethan, he's the son of Marion, I think?). Every Mother should have this book. It is the basic kitchen cookbook. There are 2 versions of this book, with the first one printed in 1931. Ethan came along and revamped some of the recipes and made them more modern and took out alot of the fat and made them healthier. He also added Indian, Thai, Chinese, Greek and others to it as well. This is really a *true* basic book to have handy, it has everything and answers every question you could possibly ask.

There is a recipe called the "White Cake". This is the one I recommend for Birthday and any Holiday mold cakes. Then there is the "Yellow Cake" which follows and it is also a good basic cake. If you can get a hold of the Old Version, the White cake has a version that is especially designed for molds and is enough for a 7-cup capacity mold.

These recipes can be modified to use Organic foods, produce, unbleached flours and natural sugars. You have to be careful about how much you alter cakes because they can be tempermental, like sugar for instance. I use natural organic sugar, but not dark brown sugars with these kinds of cakes. You cannot reduce sugar amounts in these recipes more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup otherwise you will not get the right texture. Also, for cake baking on rainy days, it is not advisable, otherwise you will have rising problems and it will be flat.

If you can't find these books or don't have time, and are interested, I will post them later, or send me an email and I'll forward them to you, let me know.

As for the mini-birthday cake...Williams Sonoma has these cute little loaf pans that I use for Banana Nut Breads. These are very nice pans, you get 4 for $24, and they are made out of a nice non-stick material that will last forever. I highly recommend these for mini-cakes. Not sure about the round, cause I never explored small mini-round cake molds.

Back to the Joy of Cooking...I personally use both books. The first version was given to me a long time ago and was my inspiration in learning how to cook and cook well. The information is priceless in these books and it cuts the confusion of information on the internet. I can't tell you how many times I've had a recipe on the internet that failed and when I went back to my JOC books, I discovered Why it failed and ended up with their recipes. I also subscribe to Southern Living as the recipes are also tried in their kitchens and they do a good job and have good judgement about food before placing them in their magazines. I like their annual recipe book too, which always has at least something that your're looking for. I do however modify some of their recipes that call for mixes and processed things. They're getting better about the items they use and select for their recipes.

Geez, this would be a great homeschool class together. Today we made GingerBread with Black Strap Molasses. It was good and healthy. I was in Whole Foods Market yesterday and bought some of their Ginger Bread. After I ate it, it was good, but I said, I can make this...and so much better and CHEAPER!!

Edited by Cyndi 2006-02-07 1:50 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 1:59 PM (#43072 - in reply to #43071)
Subject: RE: Baking Yogis

I consider baking a Math and Home Ec. project.

Thanks for the info. I have 2 very basic cookbooks that I love and can probably get some recipes from them. I also have some smaller molds that I think I can work with, but we'll see this weekend. The key is to get the right temp and time for the smaller cakes so they don't dry out (or burn ).

The decorating is going to be a hurdle for me. We were playing around with the idea of using fondant (never done it before) and maybe decorating with the pretty confetti and stuff they sell.
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-02-08 2:44 PM (#43254 - in reply to #43071)

A while back I saw some Martha Stewart magazines that had ideas for decorating individual cakes and cookies (I think it was for wedding showers, though). If you find yourself in a bookstore, flip through her magazine and/or books and I'm sure you'll find lots of neato ideas, if perhaps a little labor-intensive.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm better at eating cake than decorating it!
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-08 2:50 PM (#43255 - in reply to #43254)

Ha, me too!

I found some info online about fondant and how to play with it. We're going to try making practice cakes this weekend.

I also found a bakery online that does custom mini cakes at $25 per cake. I wonder how big their customer base is for something like that.

Edited by Kabu 2006-02-08 2:51 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-08 5:27 PM (#43274 - in reply to #43255)

Expert Yogi

You know what, I forgot about Martha. Thanks Jean for reminding me of her.  Yes, absolutely, Martha Stewart is one of the best chef's I know.  I couldn't believe how they put her in jail and all that crap.  Martha Stewart ROCKS!!!!  

Lori, are you interested in the baking business now too??   What ya going to name your baking co.??  $25 for a mini cake is outrageous!!  Some of these people where I live thought $4 was too much for my wonderfully tasty Banana Bread...they are so cheap,

fechter03
Posted 2006-02-08 5:53 PM (#43277 - in reply to #43071)

Extreme Veteran

i thought you wanted to actually bake yogis..
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-08 6:18 PM (#43282 - in reply to #43274)

Cyndi - 2006-02-08 5:27 PM

I couldn't believe how they put her in jail and all that crap. Martha Stewart ROCKS!!!!

Well..... there was that whole breaking the law bit.... Her being a very public person probably didn't help much either. The prosecutor was really counting coo on that one, and probably sent a very strong message that all the bubble shenanigans were over for a bit.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-08 6:45 PM (#43290 - in reply to #43282)

Expert Yogi

Well, they didn't put your favorite bubble shenanigan Gov. Arnold in jail for wrecking his HD, putting his child in danger, driving without a license.  Then having the balls to say, "I never thought about it" to the public.  Yea right.  Like if that were me, they'd book me on the spot and throw away the key...but, I'm just a pawn in their malicious game....so are you GJ.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-08 8:24 PM (#43294 - in reply to #43290)

Cyndi - 2006-02-08 6:45 PM

Well, they didn't put your favorite bubble shenanigan Gov. Arnold in jail for wrecking his HD, putting his child in danger, driving without a license.

Not my favorite, please don't put words in my mouth, or I'll consider it a personal attack.

Then having the balls to say, "I never thought about it" to the public. Yea right. Like if that were me, they'd book me on the spot and throw away the key...but, I'm just a pawn in their malicious game....so are you GJ.

Nope, not a pawn, or at least not completely. It's hard to deal with the power of our times, but we all have to to some extent.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-08 8:36 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-08 9:40 PM (#43302 - in reply to #43277)

Fechter I suppose I could have given that title a little more thought.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-09 9:25 AM (#43326 - in reply to #43302)

Expert Yogi

Fechter, it's all a matter of perception.  For instance, for a person like me who does stay in the kitchen 85% of the time, that is a normal title...I am a Baking Yogi.  Now, for someone who has no idea about the kitchen. I am quite sure that may be a scary thing to look at,    Even more scarier is how to turn on the oven, mix ingredients together and have a beautiful masterpiece of art as the  end results. 

fechter03
Posted 2006-02-09 8:20 PM (#43394 - in reply to #43326)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2006-02-09 9:25 AM

Fechter, it's all a matter of perception.  For instance, for a person like me who does stay in the kitchen 85% of the time, that is a normal title...I am a Baking Yogi.  Now, for someone who has no idea about the kitchen. I am quite sure that may be a scary thing to look at,    Even more scarier is how to turn on the oven, mix ingredients together and have a beautiful masterpiece of art as the  end results. 

actually cyndi, i do spend a lot of time in the kitchen..just don't do that much baking, .
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-17 3:59 PM (#43952 - in reply to #43394)

Well, we did the fondant thing (ended up making mini cakes for Grandpa's b-day). The cakes were adorable, but we discovered fondant is a bit too much to eat along with the cake it covers. But it's excellent for making decorations! It's basically edible play-doh , so you can make cute cut outs, flowers and ribbons.

I've heard homemade fondant is much better tasting ~ will have to give that a whirl next. So...

mini cakes: *thumbs up*
store bought fondant: *thumbs down* except for decorations
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-08 2:25 PM (#46092 - in reply to #43071)

I don't know about where you are but in LA, cupcakes are HUGE! They're easy to make, much cheaper, and have endless decorating possibilities. There's a place not far from me called Auntie Em's that makes gigantice Red Velvet cupcakes with sour cream frosting..... (Sound of door slamming and car starting)
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-09 8:07 AM (#46202 - in reply to #46092)

Expert Yogi

You haven't lived until you've tried the *real true* Red Velvet cake from South Georgia. There's still a couple of old ladies around that make these famous cakes, we used to order one every Thanksgiving from this one lady who made these. She really had a secret ingredient that we still can't figure out to this day!!! Although, I did manage to get the original recipe from my chef guru, You think Auntie Em may have taken a trip to S. Ga and got the "secret" recipe??...it sounds very familiar, except we don't use Sour Creme, we use Cream Cheese Frosting on Red Velvet Cakes.

Posted 2006-03-09 8:39 AM (#46205 - in reply to #43071)

in early spring, you can sometimes find hot-house pansies. my HFS sells them (organic raised) this time of year. you can cut them fresh and put them on each cake. pansies are edible.

it's the easiest decoration in the world. my cake won the prize at my MIL's church spring thingy. i made a white cake with white icing and then placed a few fresh pansies on the top and around the base. It won "best decorated" and "best white cake recipe." thankfully, my MIL's 'chocolate with PB icing" won for best chocolate cake. because if i'd won and she hadn't, it would have been grief for a long while. She insists that i join these contests with her as bonding experiences, then when i win, she sulks for months if she doesn't. bleh.

anyway, easy decoration--pretty and edible.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-09 9:55 AM (#46217 - in reply to #46205)

Expert Yogi

Yep, deer eat my pansies in the winter and the cats mess up my flower beds...therefore, I have only small amounts in the pots that they refuse to come onto the porch and eat, those are what left for house decorations, not for cakes, This year I'm doing something different, I'm planting more evergreen & Pyracantha's in my annual gardens, to free up my time and because I like green and red. The pots are for pansies and annuals, sorry deers, these cats are driving me crazy using my flower garden for their litter boxes....they also think my pond fountain is their water source. You should see them, all 8 of them in line to drink water from the turtle's mouth, its a trip - talk about kitty paradise

Posted 2006-03-09 10:06 PM (#46331 - in reply to #46217)

Never have had the Red Velvet Cake, but I would prefer the cream cheese frosting, please. Sounds divine . Zoebird, your cakes were beautiful with those edible pansies. I love pansies; have not eaten one before, but I love to look at them. They are so unique and they have a cool story behind them.

Cyndi, my kitties love to drink form the running water also. I can just see yours drinking from the turtle's mouth! My drink from the bathroom sink. Drives me crazy . I hear ya on the potted plants and the litter box scene. When I was in high school we adopted a momma cat who had 4 babies: Kodak, Nikon, Olympus (Puss), and Canon (my dad had a photo shop on the side). We kept them in an enclosed glass patio overlooking the back yard. Potted plants everywhere along with the clean do-do box. Hot during the day. You know what it smelled like in that patio! Those kittens were so cute, but stinkers. Have to love 'em.

Edited by namaste2 2006-03-09 10:07 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)