YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Suffering
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Nick
Posted 2006-03-03 9:31 AM (#45553 - in reply to #45510)
Subject: RE: Suffering

Hi Jambo,
I used to have a class where some of the students and me would retire to the local bar and drink black sheep ale-as some of you know, a hard class makes for a better tomorrow, and the beer tastes better at the end of the day!!
I'm not sure, though, if drinking beer after a class is a recommended practice-maybe i could promote and the new improved finishing sequence of Astanga yoga-for those left standing, one last challenge!
Take care
Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-03 10:00 AM (#45556 - in reply to #45466)

Expert Yogi

*Fifi* - 2006-03-02 11:04 AM

Cyndi,

Thanks for that. Can you elaborate on #2, please? I'm not quite sure it get it. The way I read #2 is that we suffer when we lose our gratitide (for having food, a roof over our heads)

Nick, I've always wanted to go to Holland. Tulips are my favorite flower. I really need to get over to Europe. The last time I went I was 12! {I'm sure there's lots of mojo in those blends}

Hey Fifi,

I wish I could get a truckload of those Tulips right now in time for spring!!!!!

I see #2 totally differently. I see it as we as sentient human beings take the food or whatever, objects of pleasure, and we eat or take it thinking this is going to make us happy. (you can also use the garden of eden as an example - Adam taking the Apple). We continue to eat the food two, three or four times and then discover that our happiness does not lie in the food (we do this UN-conscienciously sp?), then we reject the food because we *think* the food is causing our unhappiness, rather than the *true* nature of our unhappiness which is ignorance. At this stage we have not developed a sense of awareness until we have embraced it, gotten acquainted with it, and therefore we start to become familiar with it and then noticed and/or witnessed just how much trouble these external worldly pleasures and things bring us.....this is the crucial point of self discovery, I like to think of it as a *window opportunity*. When we realize that the external world cannot bring happiness, this is a *true* awakening and this is when meditation and contemplation is critical..otherwise we fall into so many traps and we start to go into survival mode and grasping at straws begins. This is also a form of attachment as well.

Here is the HH Dalai Lama's quote again:

"Then the second category is as follows. When we feel hungry and begin to take food, at first we feel very happy. We take one mouthful, then two, three, four, five... eventually, though it is the same person, the same food, and the same time period, we begin to find the food objectionable and reject it. This is what is meant by the "suffering of change." Practically every worldly happiness and pleasure is in this second category. Compared to other forms of suffering, at the beginning these more subtle forms of suffering seem pleasurable; they seem to afford us some happiness, but this is not true or lasting happiness, for the more we become acquainted with them, the more involved we become with them, the more suffering and trouble they bring us. That is the second category."

Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-03 10:05 AM (#45557 - in reply to #45510)

Expert Yogi

Jambo - 2006-03-02 7:42 PM

>Fifi - This has been an interesting thread. I wish we could all meet in an independently-owned (read: no starbucks) dimly lit coffe shop somewhere in the world and continue this conversation in person.

Wouldn't that be something! Just a bunch of Yogi roustabouts hanging together shooting the yogic sh!t in the local coffeehouse or Pub. Anybody got a scene like that?

I wish you guys would come to Asheville. There is a nice Starbucks just around the corner from the Biltmore House...we could meet there after having a nice stroll through the mansion and after the Wine Tasting, If you can't deal with Starbucks...there's other places to hang out too!! We could take our party to the Blue Ridge Parkway and have an outdoor Yoga Jamboree,
Jambo
Posted 2006-03-03 7:38 PM (#45649 - in reply to #42884)

Cyndi - My parents used to live in Hendersonville. Went to Asheville a couple of times to see if I could live there, Hendersonville being too small for my tastes. Was way before my Yoga life. Wondering what the Yoga scene is like there now. As my parents used to say, NC is God’s country. Truly beautiful country around the Asheville area.
sirensong2
Posted 2006-03-03 9:00 PM (#45666 - in reply to #45649)

i think that is a wonderfully useful quote by the Dalai Lama, thank you for posting it! If only i could remember those jewels of knowledge when i need to.

starbucks is obnoxiously "in your face" in many cities, but you can get some pretty good joe there- i have a bag of their Ethiopia Sidamo now..soo delicious! They also try to treat their employees, partners and the environment reasonably well. especially in comparison to say, Walmart!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-03 11:34 PM (#45678 - in reply to #45649)

Expert Yogi

Jambo - 2006-03-03 7:38 PM

Cyndi - My parents used to live in Hendersonville. Went to Asheville a couple of times to see if I could live there, Hendersonville being too small for my tastes. Was way before my Yoga life. Wondering what the Yoga scene is like there now. As my parents used to say, NC is God’s country. Truly beautiful country around the Asheville area.

OMG!! When I was 15 years old, back in the late 70's, actually almost 1980, I went to Hendersonville to visit an old friend of my Mother's. My Mother let me and my sister take her car out on a Saturday night...big mistake. We ended up at the Drive-in theatre watching an x-rated movie..it was hilarious. My baby sister who was so straight and narrow about died from embarrassment - we didn't understand the XXX part until the movie started, it was the midnite showing, Anyway, it ended up that we met these 2 cute guys close to our age, went to a lake nearby and got stoned - best pot I ever smoked and it was *truly* organic. The next day I drove back home to ATL, on the way in the town outside of Hendersonville, I got a speeding ticket going 83 MPH in a 55 zone. My Mother was asleep in the back seat (she was suppose to be in the front). The cop hauled us to jail, then he had to run down to the nearby church to get the judge so he could free us. It was so funny..my very first speeding ticket. Do you know the reason I was going 83 MPH was because my Mother bought this brand new 1980 Mercury Cougar. It was a beautiful car and it was one of the first cars with the Digital Speedometer. It only went to 83 MPH so that is where I kept my traveling speed. Funny huh??

Speaking of speeding, I just got another speeding ticket today. It was funny, me and my Nepali friend were on our way to Asheville today. I decided to pass this car and the cop came up unexpectedly on the other side before I could slow back down again - Like WTF was he doing coming out of the National Forest, he should of been out chasing REAL criminals, My friend and I had just put tika on ourselves before we left the house, so I had it on my forehead. The cop was so freaked out by me, Oh well. I borderlined giving him a piece of my mind and how I didn't appreciate him ruining my perfect driving record. Then he proceeded to tell me how I could save myself by appearing in court to reduce the points.....wasn't that sweet of him,

Yepper, NC Rocks and it is God's Country...,
Nick
Posted 2006-03-04 3:32 AM (#45701 - in reply to #45678)

Hi Cyndi,
I was once thrown in jail overnight for illegal substances (few tabs of acid) and about 10 years later one of the cops turned up in my yoga class-he didn't recognize me, but I'm sure he must have felt my eyes turning to slits and the deep rumble from my chest!
Did he get stretched! Not often I get beginners to try to stuff their legs behind their heads. Sounds like the cop who got you was trying the good cop/bad cop routine by himself, and got a bit confused
Take care
Nick
Ravi
Posted 2006-03-04 3:59 AM (#45703 - in reply to #42884)

Once my wife finishes nursing school we were talking about moving to Asheville. We lived in Charlotte for a short time and she fell in love with NC while we were there.
Jambo
Posted 2006-03-04 7:10 AM (#45708 - in reply to #42884)

From Suffering to God's country, you got to love how these threads evolve.
Ravi
Posted 2006-03-04 11:00 AM (#45729 - in reply to #45708)

Jambo - 2006-03-04 7:10 AM

I am suffering because I'm not there yet..............
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-04 11:35 AM (#45732 - in reply to #45708)

Expert Yogi

Jambo - 2006-03-04 7:10 AM

Well, to make my post thread related, sorry Fifi, I hi-jacked I think??, That cop really wanted me to suffer, in fact I COULD have let it ruin my entire day. After we pulled away me and my friend just busted out laughing and I said F' it, I'll go to court and spend a half a day getting my points reduced. Besides, it's a old historical place that I'm sure will just turn into another adventure for me and those little old ladies that work in the clerk's office are just as sweet as pie. If you talk to them nicely, they'll do anything for you,

Nick, that's funny. Cops need something like YOGA. I think Iron John Yoga is appropriate for them, I don't think they have a heart and they are so frigid, rigid and cold. Talk about closed up Chakra's and sticks up their butts! It's actually kinda creepy...and they act like they own the highways and the entire friggin world, it's so militant. He also cited me for not wearing my seatbelt. I actually put it on before he had time to stop me...and like how could he really see that I wasn't wearing it coming from the other direction?? My word against his and his will win of course in the courtroom. Oh well, and no I don't wear seatbelts and I don't like being told what to do. I know they *think* they are saving your life or something, but my philosophy is that just because bad accidents have happened to people in vehicles (which most cops are freaked out about and live in a state of fear) doesn't mean it will happen to everyone!! To me that is Suffering...on their part. I feel sorry for them that they can't be *real* people instead of *stone cold* robots living in a fear...remember Robo Cop?? I see that day coming and talk about wierd.
Nick
Posted 2006-03-04 1:18 PM (#45738 - in reply to #42884)

Hi Cyndi,
Good luck with your courtcase, if it all goes badly, you can knit us all woolly yoga shorts and we'll send you parcels. i can't really work out how anyone can be a policeman and hold their head high-the corruption in England seems to be endemic in some parts of the police force. How about yoga mats with prison arrows?
Take care
Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-04 1:43 PM (#45745 - in reply to #45738)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Nick....but don't be expecting any knitting projects from me, I pretty much suck in the knitting department, but I can repair ya'll's favorite *holy* ones,

No, there won't be a courtcase, here in America you can just go to your scheduled court date, sweet talk the solicitor and make a deal..most of the time it's smooth sailing....most of the time,

Yoga mats with prison arrows?? Okay, sounds interesting. I've heard that prisoner's make great yoga practictioners. One of my favorite pictures of a guru from India is with him embracing a prisoner..it just makes my heart melt. Take care,
tourist
Posted 2006-03-04 2:54 PM (#45761 - in reply to #45745)

Expert Yogi

Apparently cops make excellent yoga students. Our local force had yoga as part of their fitness program (maybe still does) and I heard from the teachers that because they are trained to observe carefully and take orders, they actually do very well. They should make it mandatory
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-04 5:29 PM (#45777 - in reply to #45745)

Expert Yogi

Wait a minute GJ, I thought that was one of the Beatles?? Can't remember which one, maybe George or Paul. It's interesting though.

Tourist, I wish we were back in the Andy Griffith days, but more evolved of course than back then...that to me would be very cool.

Cyndi - who takes a bow to the late Barney Fife, who just passed away. aka Don Knotts, what a cool guy,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-03-04 5:29 PM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-06 1:15 AM (#45873 - in reply to #42884)

Cyndi - I wasn't asserting that you hijack. I'm the one, I've noticed, that just blurts unrelated things out and I'm trying to be more considerate.

GJ - I saw that movie. Have you seen, "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana"? It's a documentary about a prison in India where the head of the prison (a woman!) decided to bring in Vipassana meditation into her rough and overcrowded prison. By the way, many of the 10,000 prisoners had been in the prison for years just waiting for their trial. The result is unbelievable.

Has anyone ever noticed that the word 'meditation' is very close to the word 'medication'?
seekay
Posted 2006-03-06 4:11 PM (#45922 - in reply to #42884)

MEDITATION comes from the latin word "mederi" that means HEALING

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)