YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ladies Holiday
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

caffeine14
Posted 2006-02-03 12:11 AM (#42743)
Subject: Ladies Holiday

For those who practice Ashtanga, you know that diligent work in your bandhas can literally cut the menstrual flow. Inversions and some other asanas in ashtanga are also no advisable during your period. Sometimes, some teachers even say that just down dog is enough to affect cycles. I generally don't practice during my first two days but I do sun salutations without tight banddhas.

How are the other Ashtanginis in the forum addressing this? Sometimes, I just want to practice so badly am willing to forget that I have my period but then, banddha work comes naturally and does disrupt my cycle . Comments, anyone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-03 12:34 AM (#42745 - in reply to #42743)
Subject: RE: Ladies Holiday

Expert Yogi

If you really want to practice, it is a good idea to find some restorative quiet practices such as an Iyengar menstrual practice.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-03 10:47 AM (#42771 - in reply to #42743)

That means:

- The Ashtanga Style of exercise as it is called should state, specifically, 'Do not do this practice during menstruation cycle'.

- If it already states thus, and a person is still performing the exercise during the m.c., then that person can not call himself/herself Ashtangini, because they are NOT following that style.

One of the above needs to be addressed for the m.c. to flow smoothly!
upsidedown90
Posted 2006-02-12 8:33 PM (#43577 - in reply to #42743)

Skip the ashtanga during your cycle! At least for the first three days.....

It's hard, if you love your practice (I know this firsthand...) but MUCH better for you to skip it. Pattabhi Jois, the guru of ashtanga, states that Asana (posture practice) is to be skipped for a minimum of three days during menstruation.

A previous post recommended an iyengar menstrual sequence, or restorative...good ideas.

I also find that I can do vinyasa style yoga (minus any inversions, including down dog)...w/modified sun salutes, lots of linked standing poses, and hip openers/restoratives if I must. A compromise to be sure (you may find bandhas sneaking in)...but probably healthier than a full on ashtanga practice during menstruation.

A senior teacher in this lineage, used to have ten day periods, and HATED skipping her practice during menstruation. But she did, and her ten day periods went down to three day periods over time.....

Jess
Nick
Posted 2006-02-13 3:30 AM (#43589 - in reply to #42743)

Hello everybody,
What are the anatomical, physiological or biomedical reasons for abstaining from Astanga yoga during menstruation? I've heard plenty of theories, but none have been convincing-Why is astanga so different fron other forms of exercise in this regard?
The only thing I can think of is that hormone receptors for oestrogen have been foundon ligaments, so perhaps this would imply that any stretching of ligaments during menstruation could cause damage-maybe the receptors cause the female to slow down-but in this case, surely females should also stop practicing during ovulation? Also, why is being inverted not recommended during menstruation? It is hard for me to believe that being upside down would prevent menstrual flow, at least not for the short amount of time that most people spend upside down.
As a male teacher, it is difficult to recommend a course of action for female students, because the information that is out there is based largely (in my experience) on bad science-does anyone know of any peer-reviewed journals that have tackled this topic?
Is it the muscular contraction of bandha that disrupts the menstrual flow, or is it the increased pressure in the pelvis that causes the disruption?
I don't understand how our cousins, the apes, seem to breed successfully even though they are far more strenuous than us. Could this be a case of people not doing bandha properly-perhaps if the contraction is held too hard then it could stop the menstrual flow? They are now recommending that we do not teach females to learn to contract their pelvic floor by squeezing the muscles that stop them peeing, as this can result in residual urine building up in the bladder. Perhaps it's not bandha that is the problem, but how we do it?
Take care
Nick
designaire
Posted 2006-02-13 10:34 AM (#43611 - in reply to #42743)

I believe it's Old Wives' Tales myself. It's supposed to be that the inversions shouldn't be done during menstration. (Tell that to the professional gymnasts, which I'm sure don't take any time off.) I think it's because the flow is down and if your upsidedown the flow is the wrong direction. Maybe in the old days of yoga they didn't have tampons.

I think it's a personal thing that every women should figure out what feels right to her.

Edited by designaire 2006-02-13 10:36 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-02-13 10:47 AM (#43614 - in reply to #43589)

Expert Yogi

Nick - last question first - yes, it is the way the bandha is taught, not the bandha itself that is the problem. And people overdoing, which is such a typical western approach. How many stupid warning labels are on products to tell us more is not always better?

The "holiday" question - I don't think we will have any scientific studies on this in the near future. I take my advice on this from the Iyengars and Geeta in particular. As well as studying yoga inside and out for the past 50 or so years, seeing thousands of female students, both Indian and western, she is a doctor of Ayurvedic medicine. I don't have a great understanding of Ayurveda but I have chosen to take her word for it that it is a bad idea for me to invert, do deep twists, practice strenuously or practice bandhas during menstruation. I just think she knows more than I do about this and I accept her word. I consider most of us to be rank beginners in yoga and simply not well enough informed tomake such decisions for ourselves. How often have you tried some new thing (new to you) and wondered why the "experts" say you have to do steps in the process that seem just a waste of time? And how many times have you skipped those steps and found out later that it would have been better or easier if you had taken the time to do them? Painting without prepping the surface is a good one - we had a metal door at work that our maintenance guy painted with the wrong paint and without prepping at least 3 different times. The paint peeled off in sheets of course, until he finally did the prep work properly. I consider my reproductive health to be way too important ot be messing around ignoring expert advice. OTOH, I do sometimes demo inversions and don't worry too much about that.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-13 11:20 AM (#43618 - in reply to #43614)

Hi Tourist,
Yes, it's a tough one to answer isn't it? Our ape cousins seem to be able to climb down trees, perform death-defying feats, and still manage to breed successfully. I find it difficult to believe that in the time that has passed since we came out of the trees that evolution has taken the time and effort to ensure the destruction of any individual who hangs upside down. I think I'm going to be an agnostic on this one until someone comes up with some satisfactory answers. Like you say though, I think that we do bandha too hard, to a certain extent, I think it would be better to develop sensitivity in this region by using only a light contraction-that way you can feel how the postures affect the bandha, otherwise it's like using the bandha puts up a barricade which stops us 'feeling' in the postures. i don't think it helps that 'bandha' is a word that is used to describe a specific event, rather than using the word to describe a reaction to movements and postures. What do you think?
Take care
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-02-13 7:31 PM (#43640 - in reply to #43618)

Expert Yogi

In fact, we don't teach much around the bandhas in Iyengar yoga. The nicest description I have heard was "a gentle, inner, energetic lift" for uddiyana bandha. We have a tendency to harden the abdomen and consequently harden the organs under the muscles. This is all coming straight from India from teachers who have gynecological problems working directly with Geeta.

But the yogis are incredibly pragmatic and I am sure they would tell us that if we had to be upside down in a tree for some reason while menstruating, then go ahead and do it. We are told not to do hard physical work during our periods as well, but I am sure most Indian women do not have the choice or luxury of not hauling babies and laundry and groceries around anymore than I do. So she does the work but refrains from over exerting or being inverted during her asana practice. And don't forget - Iyengar practice typically includes a 10 minute headstand, 10 minute shoulderstand and some time in halasana as well. So it is not a brief stay for us Iyengis! Science has proven many of the claims yogis have been making for a long time. I expect someday they will prove this one as well. Until then, I am not messing around with things because for one thing, it doesn't seem worth it if I have a choice and for another, I love a good "lie on your bolster" practice Tamasic tourist - that's me!
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-13 8:11 PM (#43641 - in reply to #42743)

I like doing a challenging Ashtanga class the day before my period- helps with the flow. Then rest for 4-5 days, with some walking for exercise. (No sex, either) The ancestors aren't wrong!
Nick
Posted 2006-02-14 2:57 AM (#43652 - in reply to #43611)

designaire - 2006-02-13 3:34 PM

I believe it's Old Wives' Tales myself. It's supposed to be that the inversions shouldn't be done during menstration. (Tell that to the professional gymnasts, which I'm sure don't take any time off.) I think it's because the flow is down and if your upsidedown the flow is the wrong direction. Maybe in the old days of yoga they didn't have tampons.

I think it's a personal thing that every women should figure out what feels right to her.

Hi Designaire,
It does often come across as old wives tales doesn't it? (being upside down, that is). I,m thinking that insome cases, the sheer effort of getting upside down may affect menstrual flow-but i would like to hear from women's personal experience.
Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-02-14 3:17 AM (#43653 - in reply to #43640)

tourist - 2006-02-14 12:31 AM

In fact, we don't teach much around the bandhas in Iyengar yoga. The nicest description I have heard was "a gentle, inner, energetic lift" for uddiyana bandha. We have a tendency to harden the abdomen and consequently harden the organs under the muscles. This is all coming straight from India from teachers who have gynecological problems working directly with Geeta.

But the yogis are incredibly pragmatic and I am sure they would tell us that if we had to be upside down in a tree for some reason while menstruating, then go ahead and do it. We are told not to do hard physical work during our periods as well, but I am sure most Indian women do not have the choice or luxury of not hauling babies and laundry and groceries around anymore than I do. So she does the work but refrains from over exerting or being inverted during her asana practice. And don't forget - Iyengar practice typically includes a 10 minute headstand, 10 minute shoulderstand and some time in halasana as well. So it is not a brief stay for us Iyengis! Science has proven many of the claims yogis have been making for a long time. I expect someday they will prove this one as well. Until then, I am not messing around with things because for one thing, it doesn't seem worth it if I have a choice and for another, I love a good "lie on your bolster" practice Tamasic tourist - that's me!

hi tourist,
I find it hard to believe that hardening the abdominal muscles ( which we should all be doing anyway, if we lived closer to a natural state), would harden the internal organs-this menas that being 'fitter' would actually be our downfall. I've never read any serious work which would try to make this claim. In fact, I would have thought that having a strong abdominal wall would increase the support and influence of the internal organs-if the abdominal muscles are more toned, then greater pressure would be brougth to bear on the internal organs-i.e.if you want to develop pressure inside a cylinder, then make sure the walls of the cylinder are tough enough.
I take your point about doing less physical exercise during menstruation-although I've also talked to many women who depend on it for their sanity during menstruation-we're talking about experienced practicioners here-15 years plus.
Hope you don't mind me being a man and questioning some of these accepted truths-I would like to optimize the health of my female students, and I think that the truth would help me to do that. I don't tend to accept what has been established as fact by the indian gurus as the truth-to often I have found them to be lies and deception-I will also never accept information from those who perpetuate the caste system, which has been responsible for so much suffering-probably more than any other belief system in the world-anyway, that's another story!!
Take care
Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-14 6:10 AM (#43662 - in reply to #43640)

I read up a little about inversions and menstruation when I first heard that this isn't recommended. The basic assumption seems to be that inverting the flow can cause pelvic issues such as endometriosis. Personally, the biologist in me balks at this explanation as the same thing would happen just from being prone in bed alseep!

Personally, I find that hard physical activity tends to reduce cramping more than idling around however you can get dizzy so I would stick to gentle restorative type practise at the beginning and move things up a notch as my energy levels increased toward the end.

Women vary a lot in terms of quantity of loss, cramping, emotional state etc (more than you'd think, guys :-) ) so this is one area where body awareness is vital.

Fee

Posted 2006-02-14 10:55 AM (#43672 - in reply to #42743)

i think that a lot of good things have been stated about menstruation and astanga. it's odd, but i do agree with neel in regards to labelling. Since astanga says 'no practice on these days or at these times' then practicing against that tradition essentially makes you 'no longer an astangi/ni.' But then, i question, are there different schools of thought within astanga? For example, the catholic church is a big entity with lots of schools of thought and interpretations. No two catholics will be alike--and often they'll even say what seems like totally opposite things.

I recall that jois doesn't practice on certain 'moon days.' but, beryl bender birch, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't acknowledge moon days. I don't htink she necessarily calls herself and astangini, but by the same token, she only teaches astanga yoga. Or, maybe it isn't astanga yoga because she doesn't follow jois's dictates specificly. It certainly begs the question at least.

I also want to discuss this bandha business. first, tourist is right that we tend to do this improperly--going too heavy into the bandha work. It's not meant to be as firm as many people do it, it's actually meant to be like a lock in a 'lock and dam' or 'canal system' moreso than a lock on a heavy oak door. Many take the meaning as a locked heavy oak door--and this can lead to various pressures on the uterus over time. It can also be problematic in pregnancy.

second, regardless of the school of yoga, it is largely taught that there are occassions when bandhas aren't used, but regular practice can be maintained--menstruation, pregnancy, abdominal surgery or injury, abdominal/gastro-intestinal problems (gas, bloating, constipation, etc), and those also related to other bandhas (such as throat issues for jalandhara's bandha). Even in schools where bandhas are rarely mentioned (outside of pranayama practices), it is understood that there are times when the regular asana practice can be done, but that the bandhas need not be engaged. Of course, the asana practice is modified to make up for this, but not so much. just another level of mindfulness.

for myself, i do and don't practice during my menstrual time. sometimes i do; sometimes i don't. it depends upon how i feel. Sometimes, i go 'full on' and use light bandhas (as they're meant to be) and sometimes i do restorative stuff. It all depends upon how i feel. I allow my students to practice however they want--but i do mention repeatedly that bandhas are optional during menstruation, not to be used during pregnancy, etc.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-15 10:37 AM (#43724 - in reply to #43653)

Expert Yogi

Hi Nick - I understand your hesitance to accept what the yogis have said historically as gospel. I certainly have issues with some of the things they have stated as fact, as well. I think I follow the Iyengar's point of view for several reasons, one of which is that I accept them as my teachers (even though I am what BKS calls a "grandstudent" ). I also think that they have not simply taken the teachings from ancient texts and passed them on as truth. They have used the system, worked with female bodies for decades (which the ancients for all intents and purposes didn't) and have worked out a system that they feel is best for women. In Light on Yoga it says not to practice during menstruation. So that stance has obviously changed and been modified over the years.

The "hardening of the organs" is one of those yoga terms which is undoubtedly not correct according to western scientific terminology. Again, I accept the wording as it pertains to the energetic body in the same way I accept the idea that a headstand brings fresh blood supply to the brain. It is not correct "by the book" but the spirit of the statement seems to be true. And I believe the Iyengars and long term Iyengar teachers who agree that the abdomen must be kept soft (for men AND women) or at least, as one senior teacher says "soft under the muscle."

As far as those who need hard exercise to cope during menstruation, I am usually happy for people to do whatever it is they fell they have to do to get through these times. Pain sucks But I am willing to bet that they could benefit from using a practice that was attuned to their cycles - pre, during and post-menstrual. I also know that many who do hard exercise all the time are addicted to the endorphins and very likely would benefit more from a break every month than the rest of us.

And I do also like to look at what our lives would be like in "the natural state." It is a fascinating exercise, isn't it? BUT I honestly don't think that if we lived in the wild we would be spending an hour and a half a day sweating through a yoga routine We would be using our bodies and doing many different activities depending on the season, the time of day etc. If you look at tribal cultures bodies they are all lean but not six-pack tight except maybe for the young adult men. And most of those cultures do restrict activities for menstruating women.

Finally, my usual comment about how women feel about practice - I don't believe that most western women are capable of truly knowing intuitively what is best for their bodies just by "listening" to their bodies. We are the poster children for the mind/body disconnect and most are simply not able to "hear" what is best for thier bodies yet. It will be interesting to see what many of these women say about practice in 20 years.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-15 11:08 AM (#43728 - in reply to #43724)

Excellent response, Tourist.

Personally, I'd follow the tribal customer of locking myself in a hut and not talking to anyone for a week anytime! In fact today looks a good time to start.... can't do right for doing wrong today; starting to annoy myself so Sivananda tonight should be 'fun'.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-15 11:10 AM (#43729 - in reply to #43724)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2006-02-15 10:37 AM

Finally, my usual comment about how women feel about practice - I don't believe that most western women are capable of truly knowing intuitively what is best for their bodies just by "listening" to their bodies. We are the poster children for the mind/body disconnect and most are simply not able to "hear" what is best for thier bodies yet. It will be interesting to see what many of these women say about practice in 20 years.

Tourist,

How can you say that after all we've been through together,

You know, this may be true for a lot of women, especially in the west. It was true for me when I was much younger growing up in this society. But, that changed drastically when I begin to see and *realize* what the hell was going on with Doctors and their relationship to the patient. I saw it was BS and decided to take my health into my own hands and that is when I ended up with a Traditional Chinese Doctor. When you watch your own Mother die from the hands of western medicine and have the kind of experience I had raising my children with their stupid nonsense, you would never walk into a hospital or MD's office ever again.

I live no other way but intuitively where my own body is concerned. I don't know any other way. The Western MD mindset way is very strange and did not work for me - God know's I did give it my best shot and tried, it failed me. The only time it did not fail was when I was in trauma, but it didn't prevent me from getting to that point of trauma...another words, I don't believe they *truly* understand the word *preventative*. Anyway, I have a totally different approach to my health and feel great about it. Sure, I had to learn how to be intuitive and what to look for, but that is easy once you get the hang of it and if you are lucky enough to have someone teach it to you.

Once of my best friends who now lives in California from 20 years ago, told me I look better today than I did back then. She wanted to know what I was doing. She is now interested in alternative medicine because of her Mother's influence and now she has me to influence her as well.

Back to the menstruation part...I do not do Hot/Bikram yoga even in my usual moderate 85 degrre temp, while on my period. I don't get much benefit from it. I do however get the benefit on the off times, which help's me relax and take my holiday with no pressure and no stress - the way a holiday is suppose to be. Nothing has changed within the makeup of a woman's body from 5,000 years ago to the present. Being married into the Indian culture myself, I can see the difference between Indian women who still live by these principals vs. the Western women who are so screwed up with their health issues. I prefer what the old yogi's say, they were smart. Besides, some of the rules can be altered to fit modern times, but some things cannot be and I think this is one of them. But, on the other hand, a typical non-heated Bikram class, moderately and made with some slight adjustments *could* be good for the menstrual cycle, depending on the person, since there are no inversions in the series...I just prefer not to because I intuitively know what is best for me,

Posted 2006-02-15 4:26 PM (#43769 - in reply to #42743)

i'm a younger gal, but i also know that i'm an odd ball. except for certain social boundaries, i've always been deeply intuitive about my body. it's why i resisted a lot of medical care that i recieved as a kid--actively seeking out alternatives on my own, including cockamame stuff that i've tried over the years as well, nothing that would hurt me long term of course.

i feel that i have a strong sense of my body, and i actively work 'against' medical doctors. due to my insurance issue and our funds, i do get my 'regular check ups' because doing so decreases the cost of our insurance. but, i have to go to doctors oft heir choosing--not my own--and they won't necessarily cover the care that i prefer (with a naturopathic physician and an osteopathic dentist and a direct-entry spiritual-based midwife). I submit myself to these abuses as rarely as i possibly can. I consider most of their methods invasive and unnecessary--particularly dentistry.

in any case, i often go to my doctors well armed with a sense of well being and submit myself to the various tests and palpations (for the physical), and always get a 'in excellent health' stamp. I never talk about my diet with them. I simply state "i love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables" and leave it at that when they say "how's your diet?" Vegetarianism always turns the doc's cross eyed and they mention something about atkins and whatever. When i go to the ob/gyn (crazy woman), she gives me a good scrape on the cervix, and i insist on watching with a mirror. this freaks her out, but i told her that the swab shouldn't hurt (as my midwife told me), and that in fact the gloved hands can bring a lot of infection into the area anyway. I strive to go when i'm not fertile, just after mensturation, as the cervix is the most 'protected' at this time--not soft and open, such that things can 'sneak in.' This is a good bet, i think. I'm not being superstitious, really, it just makes sense to my cervix to do so. And i have regular conversations with my cervix.

there's an energetic healing exercise that i do where you systematicly work through the different systems of the body, checking out each aspect of each pathway, and how they connect, making sure that everything is in good order. What isn't in good order can be treated in various ways--usually through energy work, and usually on my own. After going through each physical system, yo go through as many intellectual and spiritual pathways as you have access to--and i do my best for this. This is also why i spend time in adoration of the transubstantiated eucharist, as this can 'fill the gaps' in both of these areas. Hard to describe. Anyway, total health--and something a doctor can't go near with any measurements of any kind.

i have a strong sense of what's what, and so i guess i'm lucky. my husband and i are both into natural health, looking first to nutrition, movement, and energy work to do our healings, and then if we need to, going for outside help in alternative circles, and then if absolutely necessary, we'll go to western medicine. but, it's rare.

perhaps more younger people are like me. but i don't know. i certainly would say that many women (and men) are completely disconnected.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-15 5:24 PM (#43773 - in reply to #43769)

Expert Yogi

Zoebird,

I don't think it's because you are an odd ball and/or does it have anything to do with you being younger....so was I and still am, if you want to get on that level. Back when I was growing up we didn't get to voice ourselves freely like we get to do today. The good news for me is that I left home at the ripe old age of 13. I was street smart and lived with my older sister. My first job was McD's and I lied about my age and got away with it, we lived in a trusting time period back then. Because of that, I was able to make extreme adjustments to my life, environment and health issues. I told everyone else to go to hell and leave me alone - I was doing it my way!! That is what saved my life.

Now, whenever I reverted back to being under someone else's rule or feeling like I was not in charge of my life, being dominated by some jerk who just wanted to control me - like an ex-husband I had once, that is always when my troubles would begin again. Worst of all is going into an MD's office and them telling you to take these pills and you say for what?? and they cannot give you an intelligent answer. I was smart enough to see the pattern and I've had 4 husbands to this date, I was also smart enough to make my own decisions and not be a scaredy cat about it either. Some people cannot make their own decisions due to fear issues.

Seriously, when I first met my TCM doctor, she asked me questions that I never dreamed of someone saying to me. The lights went off and I made this connection. It was soo cool. Somebody else thought this way too, OMG, my prayers are answered. Then to have her clarify the things that I knew in my soul, was even more refreshing and made me realize how stupid I had been for allowing people and doctors to hurt me. But, I had no choice. When I was growing up, the only thing you ever heard about China was the fact that they were communists, they were going to take over the world one day, the people had slanted eyes, were very sneaky and tortured people if you were caught in their country, Not much was ever said about India except they were thought of as being like the Native American Indians...never would I have thought that I was going to be married to one, what a small world Oh well, I'm so glad we have freedom in our country, this is such an important aspect to health, I mean it too!!
tourist
Posted 2006-02-15 6:43 PM (#43779 - in reply to #43773)

Expert Yogi

ZB and Cyndi - of course you noticed that I very carefully said "most" women because there are always exceptions. And I think most yoginis are closer to their bodies than many western women, but I still think it takes a lot of work (which you two have done) to really "hear" the body and not just what we want to hear. I thought I was very atuned to my body beofre yoga because I knew all about it's aches and pains, but now I can see big huge gaps and places where I made assumptions that just weren't correct. So it is a work in progress

I have yet to find a non-traditional healer that really "clicks" with me. The last naturopath I saw was pretty good, but still not quite right. I am sure that like the teacher, the healer will appear when I am ready.

Posted 2007-07-05 1:00 PM (#90772 - in reply to #43611)

As a man who teaches Yoga, I have talked with my wife and two daughters (who all do Yoga) as well as several Gynocologists (who also do Yoga) to get some clarity on this subject. Medically there is no evidence that Yoga, including inversions, should be discontinued during menstration. On the individual level, Yoga practice relieves some women's symptoms and is uncomfortable for others. The conclusion that I have drawn is that each woman should listen to her own body and not listen to what old men say. Keep in mind that Iyengar told everyone to do shoulderstand (Sarvangasana) with shoulders flat on the floor for decades before realizing that serious permanent neck injuries could be the result. He now recommends that one use blankets to raise the shoulders. The Yoga of the ancients (including yesterday's) is only the beginning. Don't substitute superstition for discovery. Find out for yourself!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-05 1:32 PM (#90773 - in reply to #90772)

It's more than just breath, inversions and bandha. In Ashtanga yoga you pull your feet into the belly. Think of Baddha Padmasana (mudra) or ardha baddha padmottansana.

Regarding shoulderstand. You can do shoulderstand without a blanket.

Nick, I can't believe you are comparing us to apes. Have you seen a swollen chimp during menstration.. it's terrible.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-05 1:40 PM (#90774 - in reply to #42743)

There is no doubt that the 4 day period is different from other days. Why to insist on doing exercise during those days. May be take up Meditation practice which is close to the definition of Yoga. May be the holiday will make you Free after all.

Posted 2007-07-05 6:34 PM (#90811 - in reply to #90773)

My point about shoulder stand and Iyengar was simply that he, or Jois, or whoever say things that are simply not always true. Yes, shoulder stand can be done without a blanket, but doing shoulder stand without a blanket can lead to permanent neck injury for some people. Iyengar told his students to do it one way and then decades later told them that that was wrong. When you follow any "expert", you stop thinking, stop discovering, and do a mechanical type of Yoga that may keep you in shape but will not transform. Self-discovery is a result of awareness, not any system or "master."
tourist
Posted 2007-07-05 6:39 PM (#90812 - in reply to #90772)

Expert Yogi

jim - I am always interested that we in the west look for a western answer to counteract advice given from easterners Yes, BKS has changed how he looks at asana and one area where he has changed the most is in dealing with women's issues. He has made (probably) all of these changes due to the wisdom and influence of his daughter Geeta, who is a master teacher in her own right as well as an Ayurvedic doctor. And she is becoming more adamant over the years that women must not invert during menstruation. When she fixes her stern eye upon a student and says in her most authoritative voice "do this at your PERIL!" there is a strong tendency to believe what she says

I haven't reviewed all of this thread so I don't recall everything said in the past. Women certainly have a right to make their own decisions, though I hope the do so with a full understanding that we are probably not talking strictly western medical concepts and we may be out of our depth in or ability to fully comprehend the reasons for these instructions. Historically, women did not practice yoga. Now we do. I think history has some catching up to do and I think we are offering ourselves up as guinea pigs to a certain extent.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)