YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Numbess after taking yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

joy43016
Posted 2006-02-01 11:25 AM (#42578)
Subject: Numbess after taking yoga

I am fairly new to taking yoga. Last night was my 4th class and during class my left hand went numb. After class the feeling returned to all but my pinky and ring finger. It is more of a tingly-numb feeling but I can somewhat feel it travel up my arm to my elbow. Someone mentioned that I've injured my ulnar nerve. How can I prevent from doing this in the future while practicing yoga? I believe I injured it while doing the elbow version of the down dog position.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-02-01 12:07 PM (#42582 - in reply to #42578)
Subject: RE: Numbess after taking yoga

wellllll....
it is quite possible that you did not have proper alignment of your upper arms, lower arms, and/or hands in the posture. and if you were holding the posture, or squirming around a little bit with improper alignment, it is very possible you could have twaked something in your arm.
it has happened to me many times, but increasingly fewer as my practice improves. what type of yoga class was it? as a beginner i feel it is vitally important to receive very explicit instruction on postures, seeing as one has yet to realize the position of their body in space.
i feel like a broken record saying this, but perhaps look into iyengar style yoga. they place a ton of emphasis on alignment in postures
joy43016
Posted 2006-02-01 12:14 PM (#42583 - in reply to #42582)

It is a fitness yoga class. I took an introductory class before taking this class but we did not practice 95% of the positions that I practice in my weekly class. My concern is, of course, nerve damage. Maybe I should ask my instructor to work one-on-one with me so I can get the position correctly. I always fear doing positions incorrectly and injuring myself (or falling over for that fact, haha!).
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-01 3:26 PM (#42603 - in reply to #42578)

joy: first mention the condition to teacher. then attend some more classes. if the situation reoccurs, change the class.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-01 7:17 PM (#42615 - in reply to #42583)

Expert Yogi

Hi Joy - your teacher may or may not be abel to help, depending on her level of training. Sad to say, a lot (not all) of "fitness" yoga teachers know desperately little about yoga. Do you know the name of the pose that caused the problem? If not, you can describe it to us (or post a photo) and we can help. But do ask your teacher and explain the problem. She may be helpful.
joy43016
Posted 2006-02-02 9:29 AM (#42640 - in reply to #42615)

I believe it was the down dog position that caused it. A lot of the moves we end up going into start off with us doing the down dog. I would say we end up doing this position up to a good 10-12 minutes total out of the hour-long class. I noticed about half-way through the class is when the numbness started. She ended up having us pose in the down dog position except on our elbows (this was the first time I've done this pose) so that may have egged it on. I still have some numbness today but it seems to be a little better. I'm thinking after a couple days it will go away completely, but I'd like to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
tourist
Posted 2006-02-02 10:20 AM (#42650 - in reply to #42640)

Expert Yogi

Hi joy - it is a truism in yoga that one does not often get injured in a pose, it is the going in and out that is the problem. Sounds like you are doing a "flow" style where you move from pose to pose and that is trouble for you. You really need to learn to work the shoulderblades and legs correctly in and out of Down Dog to keep all those nerves in the shoulder area safe. Keep the shoulderblades moving firmly toward your waist, your shoulder joint firmly in the socket and learn how to use your legs rather than your arms to hold you up. There are a million other small things you can do to help this. Let us know what your teacher says!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)