YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neti Pot
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Chariot22
Posted 2006-02-01 10:43 AM (#42572)
Subject: Neti Pot

I have been using the neti pot for over a month now... For the past 2-3 weeks I have been struggling with a runny nose, congestion, and dried nasal passages... and of course, sneezing.
I can't figure it out. I was using 1/2 teaspoon with the 8 oz. pot I bought- which is what the instructions recommend. But it's clear to me that that is too much sea salt... My nose is almost constantly dried and irritated.
I wake up every morning congested and with a runny nose.
I'm trying to figure out what I need to change. I'm using 1/4 teaspoon as of today and trying to get the water temperature just right, and also wondering how long to wait for the salt to dissolve.
Any suggestions, comments, feedback?

Edited by Chariot22 2006-02-01 10:43 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-01 10:30 PM (#42620 - in reply to #42572)
Subject: RE: Neti Pot

Your nose is trying to tell you to STOP using the Neti pot and Neti process.

Posted 2006-02-01 10:51 PM (#42623 - in reply to #42572)

i was trying to post a file here, but it ended up being too big...

Edited by dhanurasana 2006-02-01 10:54 PM

Posted 2006-02-01 10:54 PM (#42624 - in reply to #42572)

neel's probably right, but just in case you want to keep trying, heres a relatively comprehensive guide i found.
http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/jala.pdf#search='nauli%20neti'

its got more information on jala neti stage one than i was aware existed prior to reading this.
what temperature water are you using, just out of curiosity? when i get the water too cold, it really screws my sinuses up. feels like i have a cold all day. my sinuses are clear, but my nasal cavities just close up.

Edited by dhanurasana 2006-02-01 10:55 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-02 10:19 AM (#42649 - in reply to #42572)

This is an interesting article, with some useful information, some wrong information, and some contradictions, and some mistakes in the methodology of experimentation. This shall take long time to discuss, so for brevity, I can conclude as follows, which also does not contradict with the article:

- If you still wish to continue the practice of neti, meet someone who has done it for a prolonged time (not 2 + weeks), and has taught it to variety of students for a prolonged time, and then approach him for further help.

Best Luck
tourist
Posted 2006-02-02 10:28 AM (#42652 - in reply to #42572)

Expert Yogi

Yes, as Neel says, it might be a good idea to stop for a bit and see what happens. It could be completely unrelated to the neti, but taking a break will help. The only other thing that occurs to me (and I am not an expert - I was glad to see the booklet suggested seeing an expert if trouble persists) is to be sure to use non-chlorinated water. Bottled water is probably best if you live in an area with high chlorine or "hard" water minerals in the local water supply.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-03 8:09 AM (#42755 - in reply to #42652)

Hi,
after some research on what was the best kind of neti pot, I found the following on-line shop :

http://www.shopneti.co.uk/index.php?referrer=Shopholistic

They have a whole series of articles on optimal Neti practise.

The key points are to use 9% saline solution made with body temperature water and 100% sodium chloride and to dry thoroughly afterward using the breathing technique called 'bellows'.

So far, this seems to work for me as I only get the kind of kick-back you describe if the temperature or salinity are off.

I find the chronic sinusitis I've suffered all my life still continues but the Jala Neti, stage 1 I practise does seem to have stopped the periodic flare-ups into full blown misery levels. I guess learning stages 2 and 3 may help me further but for now, this is fine.

Regards,

Fiona
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-03 8:59 AM (#42757 - in reply to #42572)

That's a great website, Orbilia! I like all the choices of neti pots. Now, if only there was such a great neti company here in the states. I don't want to think of what shipping costs would be for something overseas. It's not for me; it's for a patient of mine who's on the verge of sinus surgery. Over a year and a half ago I recommended she start using a neti pot. I gave her some info on it and where to buy one locally. She said it was too expensive! In the meantime she's miserable. The little plastic ones aren't that much.

(This person is about 100 lbs over weight, too. It's too hard, she says, to change her diet. Plus, she says she doesn't eat that much and can't understand how she's so heavy... )
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-03 10:07 AM (#42761 - in reply to #42652)

tourist - 2006-02-02 10:28 AM
Bottled water is probably best if you live in an area with high chlorine or "hard" water minerals in the local water supply.

Here in the states anything labeled "Distilled" water must be 100% pure water. Everything else in a bottle could be anything. So if you really want pure water, go with "Distilled".
tourist
Posted 2006-02-03 10:31 AM (#42765 - in reply to #42761)

Expert Yogi

Good point, GJ. Out here on the great Canadian west coast any kind of bottled water took a long time to catch on since the bl**dy stuff falls out of the sky so much we still have incredibly clean tap water (for the most part) and some years ago at least one of our not-so-brilliant friends thought "bottled water" meant Perrier. He was training for Ironman and wanted the very best water - needless to say, he was really surprised that this great "bottled water" everyone talked about was making him sick

The neti site looks good. Ihad no idea there were so many types of pots! One thing they don't mention is kosher salt, which I believe is also pure enough to use for neti and generally quite easily available as well.
Chariot22
Posted 2006-02-03 11:48 AM (#42791 - in reply to #42624)

I use a lukewarm water solution... I have noticed once before that if it is too cold it creates pressure, which is rather painful.
I get the feeling the salt is drying me out a bit too much, which is why I went to 1/4 tsp salt solution.
I am going to stop for a couple days and monitor the difference, if any.

Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-03 11:51 AM (#42792 - in reply to #42757)

I had to wait a wee while for my large steel pot but it's exactly as they market and really nostril friendly, easy to use and to clean. I bought the 'all in 1' kit with DVD on the technique and single dose salt packs.

The delivery charges overseas are on

https://www.shopholistic.co.uk/view_doc.php?view_doc=38

and are very reasonable.

In general, I've found that anything I send to the States arrives within 7-10 days from the UK and is very reasonably priced postage-wise. In fact, I only ever use airmail as it's so cheap, it's not worth bothering to look at sea freight charges (see http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/).

On the other hand, when my friends send to me, it can take weeks and weeks and is inevitably sea freight as your air-mail charges are often more than the gift being sent!

I've often wondered if Royal Mail offer a service the other way (US to UK), perhaps it would be worth mailing them to find out (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/)?

Another idea occurs.... if several of you want Neti gear, perhaps a single order to one of you would work out cheaper than many individual ones? If so, one of you could receive the order and then mail on? It would need careful calculation, but it would mean only one 'phone call to the UK to order (if you don't have Paypal for the on-line order system).

Fee

*Fifi* - 2006-02-03 1:59 PM

That's a great website, Orbilia! I like all the choices of neti pots. Now, if only there was such a great neti company here in the states. I don't want to think of what shipping costs would be for something overseas. It's not for me; it's for a patient of mine who's on the verge of sinus surgery. Over a year and a half ago I recommended she start using a neti pot. I gave her some info on it and where to buy one locally. She said it was too expensive! In the meantime she's miserable. The little plastic ones aren't that much.

(This person is about 100 lbs over weight, too. It's too hard, she says, to change her diet. Plus, she says she doesn't eat that much and can't understand how she's so heavy... )

Edited by Orbilia 2006-02-03 11:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)