YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

decreasing class size
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

pilatesgirl
Posted 2006-01-24 10:36 PM (#41841)
Subject: decreasing class size

I have been teaching Pilates class at a fitness center and had a pretty good response initially. Now it's been dwindling since mid November and I've only been getting a couple of people each class. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas to get people excited about the class again. I taught this class in a smaller town and had a better turnout with more motivated people than I do now. I'm somewhat frustrated so would love any advice.

Robin
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2006-01-25 5:09 AM (#41849 - in reply to #41841)
Subject: RE: decreasing class size

This may be a combination of 'too busy over Christmas' and 'too blue/lazy/broke to come back afterward). Perhaps a small ad campaign focussing on losing the Christmas pounds?

Would any of those who've dropped out be ameniable to giving you some feedback as to why?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-01-25 5:10 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-25 8:52 AM (#41855 - in reply to #41849)

Orbilia - 2006-01-25 5:09 AM
Would any of those who've dropped out be ameniable to giving you some feedback as to why?

Or maybe you could talk with some of the students who are still coming. It could be there's a rumor going around, or there's something they expect (or don't) in this area of the country.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-25 10:28 AM (#41870 - in reply to #41841)

wow, I thought this thread was going to be about how to politely reduce class size!

I think it's a money thing. At the first of the year all kinds of horrible bils are due. I work in a chiro/acupuncture office and we see a slow down in Jan/Feb b/c people's deductibles are due - sometimes it's $500.00 they have to cough up before their insurance kicks in.

Or, in the case of pilates, maybe people are thinking to themselves "I need to lose the Christmas Holiday weight before I go to Pilates class". This is silly but I think there's some truth to it.

What about running a special in the post-Holiday winter months? Maybe a reduced rate if your students refer someone who signs up for class?

Or you could just guilt people into taking your class..."think of how you will look in a bathing suit on the beach this summer....you don't want to scare small children, do you?"

Good luck and let us know what transpires!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-25 10:42 AM (#41872 - in reply to #41870)

*Fifi* - 2006-01-25 10:28 AM
I think it's a money thing. At the first of the year all kinds of horrible bils are due. I work in a chiro/acupuncture office and we see a slow down in Jan/Feb b/c people's deductibles are due - sometimes it's $500.00 they have to cough up before their insurance kicks in.

Or, in the case of pilates, maybe people are thinking to themselves "I need to lose the Christmas Holiday weight before I go to Pilates class". This is silly but I think there's some truth to it.

What about running a special in the post-Holiday winter months? Maybe a reduced rate if your students refer someone who signs up for class?

I don't think it's seasonal. The local pilates teacher has had record turn out, particulary in the first week of January. OTOH, there are the winter blahs.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-25 10:54 AM (#41874 - in reply to #41872)

Expert Yogi

In my experience, all types of fitness have typical increases in January. When our yoga classes were at the Y we had to arrive early to find parking in January. By about now, things start to level off.

Could you tell us more about yourself and your classes, stlye of Pilates (since I know there are different "schools" arising), equipment, your training, the facility? Even the area you live could make a difference - anywhere with a Ford plant will see a big dip in attendance now, I'll bet
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-25 10:59 AM (#41875 - in reply to #41841)

Also, since Pilates doesn't burn a ton of calories (as compared to full-cardio classes) some people who are concerned about holiday weight gain will turn to just cardio, especially if they only have time to do one class. Occasionally my regulars will start skipping class for this reason. For many, cardio is the fastest way to get the number on the scale to go down, and sometimes other exercises become secondary.

If you happen to see one of your students that has been skipping class, just say "Hey, I miss you! How have you been?" You'll likely find out that their schedule has changed, or they've been sick, or something that you never would have imagined. If they say "I liked your class but it kinda hurt my back" then you know that they were not doing the exercises correctly. Then it might be a great opportunity to set up a basic Pilates 101 training session to make sure everyone has the correct posture and is not pushing the exercises harder than their core fitness level will allow.
pilatesgirl
Posted 2006-01-25 12:36 PM (#41883 - in reply to #41841)

Thanks for all the ideas! There was a Body Pump class that just started and is right after my class and they have been getting tons of people in there (including some of my students). I'm in a town in Iowa with population of about 10,000 or so. I instruct a Mat Pilates class and it's a combination of Beginning/Intermediate moves since it's a drop in class (never know who will be there), but I make sure everyone knows all the modifications for moves since some aren't quite to the level they need to be.

I guess I should talk to my boss and see if they'll do a little advertising with some more information on Pilates and what it can do for you. I know the people that do stick it out and are dedicated in coming can see a difference in themselves and LOVE it! I just need to do a better job of doing that for more people, I guess.

tourist
Posted 2006-01-25 6:54 PM (#41900 - in reply to #41883)

Expert Yogi

Sounds like you may be a victim of "workout of the week" where people just want to try the newest thing around. I am losing some students to Nia technique, which has just popped up in my small town...
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-25 10:34 PM (#41920 - in reply to #41900)

tourist - 2006-01-25 6:54 PM

Sounds like you may be a victim of "workout of the week" where people just want to try the newest thing around. I am losing some students to Nia technique, which has just popped up in my small town...

What's Nia technique?
throwtoy
Posted 2006-01-26 8:39 AM (#41944 - in reply to #41841)

My classes have actually gotten larger and they are very upset i'm not teaching on the weekend right now like i have been for the last 3 years. i say just be happy with a smaller group for now. it's easier to help them with their teachnique and when the rest of the people come back they'll understand what to do and you can focus on the newer people.

D
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-26 8:56 AM (#41945 - in reply to #41841)

GJ - check out http://www.nia-nia.com for a good explanation. It stands for Non Impact Aerobics and also something Neuromuscular but I can't recall. I have the DVD and book, and it really is a fun form of exercise. To me, it felt mainly like freeform modern dance with elements of martial arts and yoga blended in. Inside I felt like a little girl, whirling around the room and laughing like a nut! Good fun!

GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-26 10:26 AM (#41963 - in reply to #41841)

It DOES look like a lot of fun. It also appears that the nearest studio is in columbus, which is a bit far for anything more than a road-trip. Guess it's back to yoga for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)