YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates Classic Exercises
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

eugenio_pd
Posted 2006-01-16 5:56 PM (#41101)
Subject: Pilates Classic Exercises

Hi all!

I've been practicing Stott Pilates for about a year now and after checking out this page http://www.bodymind.net/pilates/hundred.htm I was surprised how different the hundred is from what I've seen. Every book and video I have has a different version of it.

For example we now have our legs in Table Top position, and slowly extend and lower them them as we get stronger, but Pilates says "Lift both feet about 2" above mat or floor". Also, the arms are held higher: "Raise both arms about 6" to 8" above thighs". Why is this? What's the difference? Do you prefer Pilates' instructions or modern ones?

Does anyone happen to have the Return to Life Through Contrology or Your Heath Book? How are the exercises different?

I would rather follow Pilates' own instructions than modern ones. What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-16 6:19 PM (#41108 - in reply to #41101)
Subject: RE: Pilates Classic Exercises

I have the "millenium" edition of Pilates' original texts and they are interesting if only for their historical value. A lot has been learned about human anatomy, muscular stability, and safety since J.P.'s day. For example, he states several time that the human spine should be STRAIGHT - no lumbar curve, no thoracic curve, no cervical curve. No curves whatsoever. We now know that that is neither acheivable nor advisable for most human bodies.

As I'm sure your training has told you, having both feet 2" above the mat is a very advanced position for doing the hundred. Most beginning (and even intermediate) students would greatly injure their backs attempting this without building the proper strength first. Even some advanced students would experience back pain in this position. It should only be done under the supervision of an experienced and well-trained teacher.

IMHO, Stott modifies the original exercises more than most of the traditional schools of Pilates thought; they also make it the most accessible to beginners and people with limited abilities. It's a great way to build the incredible strength required to do the full versions of the exercises.
eugenio_pd
Posted 2006-01-16 6:50 PM (#41110 - in reply to #41101)
Subject: RE: Pilates Classic Exercises

Yeah you're right! I just tried lifting the feet like Pilates says and its really hard to keep your pelvis in neutral.

Wow... that straigh spine thing is really dangerous... I can't believe that from Joe...

Nevermind I'm just going to stick with my Stott Manual. I was just curious to see how Pilates did Pilates.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)