YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

machines im new help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

trista77
Posted 2006-01-10 7:07 PM (#40647)
Subject: machines im new help

I have never done pilates before but I am getting married in june and numerous people have said pilates machines. What machine is the best to use in my home? Also I am se3eing a lot about breathing??? Could someone give me a quick overveiw of pilates? Please, if someone will helpme email me a mmathis830@aol.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2006-01-10 7:39 PM (#40652 - in reply to #40647)
Subject: RE: machines im new help

Extreme Veteran

Hi Trista77,

Pilates basically is a method of total body strenthening and lengthening.  It builds long lean muscles.  A lot of the movements focus on your core, although it is also good for your upper and lower body.  Contolled breathing is stressed in order to get the most out of the movements.  I have only ever done the matwork, and I swear by it!  If you are going to do it in your home, I would recommend the matwork, and not the apparatus.  There are alot of good videos out there that can teach you the mat work series. (I like Ana Caban's videos.  She has a beginner and an advanced)  I still recommend going to a teacher though!  If only to get you started, a teacher can instruct you on the proper form.  Are there any gyms near you that offer a class?  The YMCA maybe?  If you are going to use the apparatus DEFINITELY go to a teacher!  You'll need someone to instruct you on how to properly use it to avoid injury.

Hope this helps!

Samantha

tourist
Posted 2006-01-10 9:51 PM (#40675 - in reply to #40647)

Expert Yogi

trista - you know the machines are thousands of dollars, right? Better to spend the money (if you have it) on classes or a personal trainer. And don't worry about losing weight or looking "perfect" at your wedding. If he doesn' t like the way you look now, he wouldn't be marrying you. You don't need to add stress to wedding plans and after 30 years you will be remembering many other things about the wedding than what size your dress was
throwtoy
Posted 2006-01-11 8:05 AM (#40706 - in reply to #40647)

i would suggest trying to find a studio where you can take some privates on the apparatus. why spend the thousnads of dollars if you've never done it before? work with someone who can help you learn it if possible. it's the best way so that you are learning everything correctly. matwork is the hardest since you dont have the apparatus helping you. breathing you can worry about after you've started. as long as you're breathng you're alright. an instructor can help you with this. if you're looking for a video i would suggest www.powerpilates.com.

what area are you in? perhaps we can help you find a studio that is affordable for you.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-11 10:12 AM (#40716 - in reply to #40675)

tourist - 2006-01-10 9:51 PM

trista - you know the machines are thousands of dollars, right? Better to spend the money (if you have it) on classes or a personal trainer. And don't worry about losing weight or looking "perfect" at your wedding. If he doesn' t like the way you look now, he wouldn't be marrying you.

And if he doesn't like the way you look, you probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-11 10:27 AM (#40721 - in reply to #40716)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-01-11 7:12 AM
And if he doesn't like the way you look, you probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place.

Exactly!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)