YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The F Word
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-12-13 9:59 PM (#38881 - in reply to #38846)
Subject: RE: The F Word

Expert Yogi

GJ - those were the ideals then because only the very rich could eat enough and do little enough manual labour to achieve love handeledness. I think the Roaring 20's was the beginning of "thin is in" but even then, their definition of "thin" was heavy for our times.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-13 10:33 PM (#38886 - in reply to #38881)

Expert Yogi

Hmmm....I think that some people just like to argue. I do too, and so
I'm just going to stay the kcuf out of this, just the way an alcoholic shouldn't
sit down at a bar....or am I already standing nearby, looking whistfully at
the lovely Chardonnay by the Bordeaux...hmm....fitness, what bulltihs...hmm...
ahhhh....NO. I am going to go do pranayama and leave this activity to my
young (and, I will add, articulate and amusing) friends.

Cheers!

.......... BG

GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-13 10:42 PM (#38887 - in reply to #38881)

tourist - 2005-12-13 9:59 PM

GJ - those were the ideals then because only the very rich could eat enough and do little enough manual labour to achieve love handeledness. I think the Roaring 20's was the beginning of "thin is in" but even then, their definition of "thin" was heavy for our times.

True, and now it's the rich who can afford to spend all their time eating exactly the right things, and exercising like crazy. Not sure what the local yoga studio is like for you, but nobody at my studio is close to being poor. (Though if they were I think the lady in charge would go out of her way to find a way to let them in).

Point being that standards have changed, and it's all relatively subjective. There are SOME things that are not, and those are generally indications of genetic well being.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-12-14 11:32 AM (#38911 - in reply to #38876)

Tsaklis - 2005-12-13 7:57 PM

Ok that was weird, my pc froze up when I hit submit on that last response and it only posted the first few lines. Anyway....

YG, I really don't think we disagree as much as you believe. I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge. Where we part company is with your application of that knowledge. But it is your knowledge to apply and my opinion should be of no consequence.

We are converging and diverging at different points. That's cool. That's what makes this interesting...at least to me. Sorry for the rest of you that are suffering through this.

As for this whole "fitness" thing, I simply reject out of hand the notion that there can be any broad definition as such.

Well that's the biggest differencem, isn't it? I think "fitness" is something definible and quantifiable. I think of it is as the end of the physical spectrum. Professional and olympic athletes and superheroes at the end of the physical spectrum are considered the most physically fit. And the rest of us fall along the spectrum from ill to unhealthy to unwell to well to healthy to fit. The reason this is interesting to me is that when I talk about someone's health or fitness or wellbeing, you know where I am coming from. Likewise, I know where you are coming from. For me, if someone is FIT and then they start to feel WELL, they better watch out because they are sliding down the spectrum and will soon be ill.

To be fit is to be acceptable, or worthy. It is very fair to say that the cashier is unfit, as in unacceptable or unworthy, to be a Navy Seal because of her lack of physical abilities. It is categorically unfair to say that she is generally unfit, unacceptable, or unworthy simply because she has a higher percentage of bodyfat.

Here you start to stray from objective to subjective. You are putting a value judgment on "Fitness." It is no longer an objective measure, but a subjective one in your view. That's not what I am striving for. I am striving for something objective without the value or worth as a person based on your fitness. You can either do a physical challenge or not do it. It doesn't make you a good person or a bad person. However, if you can do more of the physical challenges you are more fit and likewise if you can't do them, you are unfit. Like in yoga, some people can do some postures and some can't. They can all be great yogis. However, objectively, some of them can have poor alignment, poor flexibility, poor strength, poor breath control. It's something that they can improve in their practice without having to go so far as to say they suck at yoga. You don't tell students, that are fat or stiff that they can't do yoga. It's for everybody. Similarly fitness is for everybody...no matter where they start. So even if you are not fit today, it doesn't mean that in 6 months you can't be fit if you work towards it.

She was happy. She had no interest in physical pursuits such as swimming, running, etc. She was more than physically capable of doing all of the things in life that brought her joy and made her feel like a contributing member of society. How can you or I or anyone say that she is unfit? Now, if she wakes up tomorrow morning and decides that she wants to pursue rock climbing then yes, she is probably unfit and will need to gain strength, lose weight, etc in order to be physically fit to pursue rock climbing. But that can be true for almost anything. If we allow our bodies to became weak or fat, and at some point that becomes an obstacle toward our pursuit of happiness then we are truly unfit. But likewise if we find ourselves unable to pursue what makes us happy because we don't have enough courage, or enough education, or too much drinking then we are equally unfit. That definition, to me, is on a person by person basis. I see absolutely no need to create even a loose universal standard of physical fitness. If, at the end of the day, you were strong enough, agile enough, and flexible enough to do the things you wanted and needed to do today then today you were physically fit. Beyond that, it's just the egos of a bunch of people who are looking not for a way to compare themselves with others who share their passion, but for a way to make themselves feel better by demeaning those who don't share their goals and values.

Here we are in a world of fantasy. Is she really happy? We don't know. Many women (and men) suffer from poor body image. I find a lot of women come to yoga a little "overweight" and are so down on themselves and their abilities because of a little extra weight. They talk themselves out of most of the poses because they keep telling themselves that they are too fat to do them. It breaks my heart. I know really "overweight" people that just won't even go to yoga or to the gym or outside in the summer because of the way they feel about their bodies. It's so sad. They are depressed and eat more to cope with their depression. Your compassion tells you that we should let them be happy if they say they are happy. My compassion says lets see if their words match their actions. If they say they are happy but make excuses not to go outside, not to play, not to be active, not to try, then I say that they are probably not as happy as they say. If they talk themselves out of doing things before they even try because they "know" they are too heavy or are afraid of what they will look like when they do them, then I say they are not really that "happy."

I am not advocating a super slim world. I'm advocating an active lifestyle where you don't look at your body and cringe. A world where you are excited about what your body CAN DO, not what it looks like.

Lest we think this is just semantics, let's substitute "healthy" for "fit". Zoe touched on a point that I have made in several threads on this site. The healthiest level of bodyfat for one person will not be the healthiest for another. In the other thread we touched briefly on the idea of pushing our genetic envelopes. It needs to be said here that this is not always a good thing. If someone is genetically predisposed to carry say, 18% bodyfat at a given point in his or her life then carrying 15%, while it may look better to the Cosmo society, is not healthier. At least not in the way that I define healthy. I get so tired of hearing about how doing this or not doing that can add five years on to your life. That's great, really. But I've got to tell you, I'm not certain that I want to add five years if we're adding them to the end. You've got to figure that at least three of those five years would be spent sitting in a nursing home hooked up to an oxygen machine and trying to remember how to play solitaire. Now, if you can add those years to the middle of my life... then we'll talk. But the reality is that we just don't know. Do I take care of myself? Absolutely. Am I "physically fit" in the way that I think you would mean? Yeah, I am. But these are practices that make me happy. They make me feel good and give me confidence and awareness. There is a great book out there that goes into this. It is Eat, Drink, and be Merry by Dr. Dean Edell.

I don't think healthy and fit are the same word. I don't think we should interchange them. Just because I am offering one "definition" it doesn't necessarily mean that we all will look the same or do the same things. True, there is no "ideal body fat percentage" or "ideal muscle to weight ratio" or whatever. This "fitness" prescription is a lot like a yoga prescription. Damien alluded to it earlier when he said his idea of fitness was the 8 limbs. We can all follow the eight limbs of yoga and come out looking a lot different from each other. We already see that in the yoga community. From our little avatars we can see that we all look different even though we are all great yogis and yoginis and practice from the same general prescription.

There is a universal quality to yoga. I think there is a similar universal quality to fitness. The two ideas are very much intertwined, but, in my mind, distinct. If we acknowledge that we are all of the same species and share similar physical characterists, then we can see why a yoga practice can have universal appeal. Yoga works on the parts of us that we need to exercise: our joints, our breath, our hearts, our minds. A similar prescription for physical fitness might not address the heart and the mind so much, but it can address our joints, our muscles, our breath, our speed, our endurance, our agility, our balance.

Another way to look at it. According to the sutras, the ultimate "goal" of yoga is Samadhi. Like Nirvana. That supreme oneness. Now what is the best way to achieve that? Follow the 8 limbs. Great. But if you look around there are numerous styles of yoga all designed to get you there. Furthermore, if you go around and asked every yogi/yogini if they have achieved samadhi, most would answer "no, not yet." (or more likely "what's that?") But none of them would probably feel too bad about that because that's a rather lofty goal in our western view. It's something that you don't necessarily rush into. Honestly, most of us aren't really sure if we want that or what it looks like. But getting there is part of the fun. The practice. We enjoy our yoga practice because it has rewards along the way that keep us coming back until we reach Samadhi. Unfortunately, there is no subjective test for samadhi. So we prove if someone is there, but maybe that's something we can just sense.

If we looked at Fitness the same way. And held it up as the ultimate goal, then we worked towards it, it would have lots of great rewards along the way. Maybe it's a problem with the word because it's been used so much but we all have some idea of what fitness is and what it looks like and our relationship to it. Maybe we have to make up a new word to describe what I'm talking about. Ask people if they think they are fit and you'll get some pretty interesting answers. There are lots of tests for "fitness" but most people can't even agree on what those are. So that leaves this thread still open for debate. You're all probably sick of it by now though.

Posted 2005-12-15 10:24 AM (#38954 - in reply to #38724)

YG:

I don't think you read my last post about measurements. I was saying that those elements can be measured--but what we consider 'healthy' or 'acceptable' or whatever will vary largely based on cultural norms. tsaklis is talking a lot about the question of 'fit for what.'

I tend to think in terms of basic functional capacity. The individual is able to do regular physical tasks that are generally needed in our society--walking, carrying groceries or similar objects (odd object lifting), and so on.

i think your standards of fitness work toward athletes moreso than 'average joes and janes' and those average joes and janes can be fit without being necessarily athletic.

one of the most fit women i know is a 92 yr old woman. She walks every morning, is able to work in her modest garden 3 seasons, goes on gentle hikes in 3 seasons. She's relatively flexible and can get up and down off the floor on her own. She maintains a comfortable weight and when she falls, she generally catches herself (agility) and rarely has more than a minor bruise (whereas many women her age may break something). She maintains a healthy, diverse diet and her gastronomic functioning is comfortable, as are her elimenation processes. She practices yoga to stretch more and to help manage or dissipate any aches and pains that she may feel (though she says she is rarely in pain). To the issue of wellness--she is bright, mentally active (she likes to study languages and is borrowing my sanskrit tapes), and she is a deeply spiritual woman. I aspire to be as fit as her!

This woman is, IMO, fit, but yet she probably doesn't meet many, if any, of the 'standards of measurements' that you put up originally. I think that this woman is more fit than many young women my age and also many women her age as well as many women in between our ages. Many people can't walk comfortably over even a short distance. they are easily injured from even minor falls or bumps. They have food allergies or indigestion or elimination discomforts that are chronic or at least present more often than not. They suffer from unusual aches and pains that may or may not have a discernable origins.

i find that the most basic level of fitness seems to be general comfort in one's body and the ability to do the things that one wants to do--whether it's as simple as walking or taking a gentle hike or running an ultramarathon.

Edited by zoebird 2005-12-15 10:36 AM
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-12-15 2:02 PM (#38979 - in reply to #38724)

YG,

I think zoebird and I are saying the same things here only she said it a little better. I'm not trying to claim that someone who is 5'4", 230lbs is fit for grueling physical challenges. But even at that size she is, or appeared to me, to be fit to handle everything in her life. She could certainly carry groceries, or run to catch an elevator. If that is all she wants from life it's not my place, or anyone else's place, to tell her she is unfit. Like I said, the best definition of general fitness that I can find is that if, at the end of the day, you were physically able to do all of the things you wanted and needed to do, then for that day you were fit. It's a tough definition because it actually makes some people unfit who by your definition would be considered fit. That is because the definition grows with you as you grow. Going back to this poor cashier (for the record my wife says the girl only weighs about 190 or so) that we keep beating up on, right now she is fit. If she decides to take up jogging and wants to be able to run 3 miles without stopping, then she is unfit because at the end of the day she wasn't able to do what she wanted. But, if she keeps after it then she will succeed and she will be fit. Only now she wants to run five miles. You asked the question of why would we strive if everyone considered themselves fit and there is your answer. We strive not for some external definition of fitness or beauty, but we strive because we want the challenge. For those who do not want the challenge, who have no interest in physically striving, well, I can't imagine why we would include them in this conversation. It is fair and reasonable to say that only 600 or so of the thousands of professional baseball players are good enough to be in the major leagues. It doesn't make sense to say that only 600 or so of the tens of thousands of professional baseball players, piano tuners, car salespeople, and commercial fishers are good enough to be in the major leagues. I guess what I'm saying is that when we talk about someone's fitness the conversation should not begin until they walk in the door of your studio / gym. At that point they have become part of the conversation because they have a purpose, an intent, of progressing physically.

We do have some agreement at least on one issue, though again I just don't see it as black and white as do you. In many cases people who are overweight will literally learn to only want what they can do, and as they continue to gain weight and that list shortens they become more and more unhappy. It's a chicken and egg thing to me. We have to be careful, though. I am speaking only in generalities here and there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. But in general, I think that very overweight people tend to have more of an adversarial relationship with their bodies. This is why I have always said that for the most overweight yoga is probably the most effective weight loss tool. Weight training, aerobics, running, etc. all tend to feed that adversarial relationship by creating a punishment mentality. They are either punishing their bodies for being fat, or punishing themselves for eating too much. Once this mind set takes hold the vast majority of people are already halfway to dropping their exercise practice altogether. It takes a highly focused and motivated person to maintain that mindset over time. With yoga we learn to see our bodies from outside ourselves, and we learn to love our bodies. Remember the definition of yoga. To yoke or to unite. For those people yoga can truly unite them with their bodies, and through that process their begin to eat less, to want less food, to be happier and the weight just drops off. I've seen it happen over and over again.

You do have to be careful though, in that you cannot assume that fat = unhappy any more than you can assume fat = jolly. Or for that matter, you certainly cannot assume that lean, or "fit" = happy. Some of the most miserable people I have ever met in my life had absolutely great physiques. Likewise, I have known overweight people who were truly happy. Even when they lost the weight they were no more happy than they had been. They just didn't tie their emotional well-being to their bodies, so happy was happy regardless of shape.

One final note, it just seems so very easy in our current culture to sort of isolate those who are not in good physical condition. That makes me really curious. We have all seen someone who is truly obese and thought to ourselves how miserable they must be since they cannot physically do things that we can. Yet, I wonder how many of us experience those same thoughts when we encounter someone of lesser education, or lesser wealth. Yes, being overweight is a choice. I know that many feel powerless, but to me that is just the imbalance again. It is a choice. Just as is not getting an education, not spending your money wisely. Certainly in our current culture poor financial health prevents more people from pursueing the interest that they would like to pursue than does poor physical health. While someone may seem physically "unfit" because of their choices they could very well be more intellectually and financially fit than you or I will ever be. And yes, I am certain that somewhere out there is a forum for people who strive for financial gain just as we strive for physical progress, and you can bet that two overweight, unhealthy rich people are sitting there debating "financial fitness" and talking about what a poor choice it is wind up doing whatever you and I do for a living and how there should be a standard and such. You always have to keep that in perspective. It's what WE care about, but that doesn't mean it's what everyone else cares about.

Ok, one more really final note. This was not an arguement, at least not like any arguements where I'm from. There was no name calling. No bottles were thrown. No chairs were broken. Where I grew up it's not arguement unless stitches are involved. It's one of the least endearing qualities of this site that so many people fear disagreement, or more correctly that people assume disagreement equals anger. Only through exploring differing viewpoints can we really expand our knowledge. I don't have anger for YG, and I doubt he has any for me. I stated earlier and freely state again that I have a great deal of respect for his knowledge. We just believe differently and want to see where exactly we do and don't agree. The only reason it seems petty to some is because it's not a topic of interest. I have seen reactions far more spiteful and mean from those same people when a topic challenges a belief that they hold dear. It just seems silly to take cheap shots from the side like that. Pot, kettle.... that type of thing.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-15 10:37 PM (#39004 - in reply to #38979)

Expert Yogi

I can't find the energy to read this thread, and I'm impressed
that you folks have had time to both read it and write these long
contributions.

Hasta pronto,

bg
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-12-15 11:45 PM (#39014 - in reply to #38954)

Zoe,
I agree with you. That woman is fit. I don't know how one could argue otherwise. The problem is most people 1/2 to 1/3 to 1/4 her age are not as fit. To furher complicate matters as we get older our fitness decreases. Most of us can't hope to be as fit and active at 92 at least not without some work between now and then.

My definition is not for athletes to the exclusion of the average Janes and Joes. The fitness needs of athletes and 92 year old women differ in degree, not in kind. For example we all need flexibility. The competitive gymnast needs a lot more than the average truck driver. However, flexibility is gained in the same way: yoga and stretching exercises. The competive gymnast will do the same stretches deeper and more often and with greater effort than the truck driver, but they are the same kind of exercises.

A 25 year-old construction worker does many of the same movements of a 92 year old woman that does gardening work. The strength exercises that they might use would be essentially the same (e.g. the deadlift and the farmers walk), but the 25 yr old would obviously lift a lot more weight than the 92 yr old. They don't have to do the same weight to be fit or train with the same intensity, but there are some universal movements that we should all be able to do with some proficiency: "walking, carrying groceries or similar objects (odd object lifting), and so on" (I would add running, throwing, catching, squatting and some others to the list).

I think our fundamental difference might lie in the fact that you think people should be fit enough to do what they want to do, I think they should be prepared to do something they might not want to do. Maybe it's running for a bus, maybe it's running from a criminal, maybe it's just saving yourself from a bad fall or shoveling a driveway.

zoebird - 2005-12-15 10:24 AM

YG:

I don't think you read my last post about measurements. I was saying that those elements can be measured--but what we consider 'healthy' or 'acceptable' or whatever will vary largely based on cultural norms. tsaklis is talking a lot about the question of 'fit for what.'

I tend to think in terms of basic functional capacity. The individual is able to do regular physical tasks that are generally needed in our society--walking, carrying groceries or similar objects (odd object lifting), and so on.

i think your standards of fitness work toward athletes moreso than 'average joes and janes' and those average joes and janes can be fit without being necessarily athletic.

one of the most fit women i know is a 92 yr old woman. She walks every morning, is able to work in her modest garden 3 seasons, goes on gentle hikes in 3 seasons. She's relatively flexible and can get up and down off the floor on her own. She maintains a comfortable weight and when she falls, she generally catches herself (agility) and rarely has more than a minor bruise (whereas many women her age may break something). She maintains a healthy, diverse diet and her gastronomic functioning is comfortable, as are her elimenation processes. She practices yoga to stretch more and to help manage or dissipate any aches and pains that she may feel (though she says she is rarely in pain). To the issue of wellness--she is bright, mentally active (she likes to study languages and is borrowing my sanskrit tapes), and she is a deeply spiritual woman. I aspire to be as fit as her!

This woman is, IMO, fit, but yet she probably doesn't meet many, if any, of the 'standards of measurements' that you put up originally. I think that this woman is more fit than many young women my age and also many women her age as well as many women in between our ages. Many people can't walk comfortably over even a short distance. they are easily injured from even minor falls or bumps. They have food allergies or indigestion or elimination discomforts that are chronic or at least present more often than not. They suffer from unusual aches and pains that may or may not have a discernable origins.

i find that the most basic level of fitness seems to be general comfort in one's body and the ability to do the things that one wants to do--whether it's as simple as walking or taking a gentle hike or running an ultramarathon.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-12-16 12:05 AM (#39015 - in reply to #38979)

Tsaklis - 2005-12-15 2:02 PM

YG,

I think zoebird and I are saying the same things here only she said it a little better. I'm not trying to claim that someone who is 5'4", 230lbs is fit for grueling physical challenges. But even at that size she is, or appeared to me, to be fit to handle everything in her life. She could certainly carry groceries, or run to catch an elevator. If that is all she wants from life it's not my place, or anyone else's place, to tell her she is unfit. Like I said, the best definition of general fitness that I can find is that if, at the end of the day, you were physically able to do all of the things you wanted and needed to do, then for that day you were fit. It's a tough definition because it actually makes some people unfit who by your definition would be considered fit. That is because the definition grows with you as you grow. Going back to this poor cashier (for the record my wife says the girl only weighs about 190 or so) that we keep beating up on, right now she is fit. If she decides to take up jogging and wants to be able to run 3 miles without stopping, then she is unfit because at the end of the day she wasn't able to do what she wanted. But, if she keeps after it then she will succeed and she will be fit. Only now she wants to run five miles. You asked the question of why would we strive if everyone considered themselves fit and there is your answer. We strive not for some external definition of fitness or beauty, but we strive because we want the challenge. For those who do not want the challenge, who have no interest in physically striving, well, I can't imagine why we would include them in this conversation. It is fair and reasonable to say that only 600 or so of the thousands of professional baseball players are good enough to be in the major leagues. It doesn't make sense to say that only 600 or so of the tens of thousands of professional baseball players, piano tuners, car salespeople, and commercial fishers are good enough to be in the major leagues. I guess what I'm saying is that when we talk about someone's fitness the conversation should not begin until they walk in the door of your studio / gym. At that point they have become part of the conversation because they have a purpose, an intent, of progressing physically.

We do have some agreement at least on one issue, though again I just don't see it as black and white as do you. In many cases people who are overweight will literally learn to only want what they can do, and as they continue to gain weight and that list shortens they become more and more unhappy. It's a chicken and egg thing to me. We have to be careful, though. I am speaking only in generalities here and there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. But in general, I think that very overweight people tend to have more of an adversarial relationship with their bodies. This is why I have always said that for the most overweight yoga is probably the most effective weight loss tool. Weight training, aerobics, running, etc. all tend to feed that adversarial relationship by creating a punishment mentality. They are either punishing their bodies for being fat, or punishing themselves for eating too much. Once this mind set takes hold the vast majority of people are already halfway to dropping their exercise practice altogether. It takes a highly focused and motivated person to maintain that mindset over time. With yoga we learn to see our bodies from outside ourselves, and we learn to love our bodies. Remember the definition of yoga. To yoke or to unite. For those people yoga can truly unite them with their bodies, and through that process their begin to eat less, to want less food, to be happier and the weight just drops off. I've seen it happen over and over again.

You do have to be careful though, in that you cannot assume that fat = unhappy any more than you can assume fat = jolly. Or for that matter, you certainly cannot assume that lean, or "fit" = happy. Some of the most miserable people I have ever met in my life had absolutely great physiques. Likewise, I have known overweight people who were truly happy. Even when they lost the weight they were no more happy than they had been. They just didn't tie their emotional well-being to their bodies, so happy was happy regardless of shape.

Like I said before, I am putting value judgments on "fit" or "fat." Fat equals fat. We can argue about how much fat is fat. It doesn't matter. Some people are fat. Look at Jared before the Subway sammiches...that's fat. It doesn't make him bad or good. Fat is but one indicator of fitness. It is not dispositive. There are some fat people that are fit and some that are unfit. We've all seen that person come into yoga class that looks like they have never done yoga before, but they have an amazing practice. Who can tell!? I just don't believe that we have to be so politically correct where we can't call fat people fat or fit people fit.

One final note, it just seems so very easy in our current culture to sort of isolate those who are not in good physical condition. That makes me really curious. We have all seen someone who is truly obese and thought to ourselves how miserable they must be since they cannot physically do things that we can. Yet, I wonder how many of us experience those same thoughts when we encounter someone of lesser education, or lesser wealth. Yes, being overweight is a choice. I know that many feel powerless, but to me that is just the imbalance again. It is a choice. Just as is not getting an education, not spending your money wisely. Certainly in our current culture poor financial health prevents more people from pursueing the interest that they would like to pursue than does poor physical health. While someone may seem physically "unfit" because of their choices they could very well be more intellectually and financially fit than you or I will ever be. And yes, I am certain that somewhere out there is a forum for people who strive for financial gain just as we strive for physical progress, and you can bet that two overweight, unhealthy rich people are sitting there debating "financial fitness" and talking about what a poor choice it is wind up doing whatever you and I do for a living and how there should be a standard and such. You always have to keep that in perspective. It's what WE care about, but that doesn't mean it's what everyone else cares about.

Don't really know why you brought this up. Seems obvious. You probably were just trying to meet your 1000 word per post quota.

Ok, one more really final note. This was not an arguement, at least not like any arguements where I'm from. There was no name calling. No bottles were thrown. No chairs were broken. Where I grew up it's not arguement unless stitches are involved. It's one of the least endearing qualities of this site that so many people fear disagreement, or more correctly that people assume disagreement equals anger. Only through exploring differing viewpoints can we really expand our knowledge. I don't have anger for YG, and I doubt he has any for me. I stated earlier and freely state again that I have a great deal of respect for his knowledge. We just believe differently and want to see where exactly we do and don't agree. The only reason it seems petty to some is because it's not a topic of interest. I have seen reactions far more spiteful and mean from those same people when a topic challenges a belief that they hold dear. It just seems silly to take cheap shots from the side like that. Pot, kettle.... that type of thing.

This isn't an arguement. It's just a very verbose debate. I get fired up when I post sometimes, but I don't harbor any bad feelings toward you or anyone on the site. I honestly don't think we are too far off in our ideas, but I think Tsaklis is nicer than I am and doesn't want to call anyone fat or unfit. That's good. I think we both want people to be healthier and happier.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 12:38 AM (#39021 - in reply to #38724)

I'm really curious about why Steve thinks that the people here don't want divergent points of view. I've posted a couple out there topics from time to time, and I've seen other people do the same. If it's too far gone, or it's something people don't want to talk about, nobody posts, it's just that simple. I also think it's wonderful that we have very very few deleted posts, or locked threads. It tells me that people here are have mature discussions. (BTW, I consider a lock thread the online eqivalent of stitches.)

Posted 2005-12-16 4:17 PM (#39075 - in reply to #39014)

i think i'm somewhere between tsalkis and you, actually.

i look around and i see a lot of people who are not 'basicly fit' or 'basicly healthy.' Throughout their day, they have various aches and pains--from indigestion to strange shoulder soreness. They wander around with muscle imbalances that, even a minor movement, may throw them into a relatively severe injury (for example, a coworker of my husband stepped down off the curb and sprained both ankles due to basic weakness).

I think that my definition differs from tsalkis's because i do look to a certain 'level.' I think that that includes the things i wrote about before. And as you pointed out, each person in varying jobs needs these things in varying amounts--construction worker vs hobbiest gardener. But, neither one needs to go to a gym and 'clean and jerk' or whatever. They can just construct homes or gardens.

My hope is for people to have a basic level of physical health. Beyond this, i hope that they have a basic level of wellness (which involves the more esoteric aspects). But, that physical health isn't housed in the ability to do certain movements in certain ways nor is it in the fact that you are doing new things all the time or that you eat whatever. It really has to do with doing what is right for oneself and one's own body and seeking ways to meet those needs and desires.

I do not want to spend my time eating meat, doing the list that you mentioned for fitness, or competing with navy seals. I do like to spend my time doing yoga, swimming and walking, rock climbing, and hiking in three seasons. SO, this is what i do. And i am fit. If i want to train to be a navy seal, then certainly i would do what was necessary to be prepared (fit) for that occupation and training. But, since i don't want to, nor do i feel called to it physically or spiritually, it doesn't make sense for me to do so. It may even be against my health and wellness to do so--as i've seen with so many young women who are outwardly fit and inwardly obcessed and have low self esteem.

it's a hard topic to discuss, no?

Posted 2005-12-16 4:48 PM (#39076 - in reply to #38724)

"fat is fat and fit is fit"

here's where i think things are difficult. Culturally, 'fat' also equates to "lazy, lack of self control, less attractive, less valuable, less capable, stupid or unintellegent. . ." to name a few. 'fit' also equates to "motivated, self controlled/disciplined, attractive, valuable, capable, and intellegent. . ." to name a few. There are cultural value judgements in these terms, and as much as we might try to distance ourselves from them, there they are, nontheless.

It is important to note that there are different body types. Some body types are 'culturally fat' and yet quite fit. Others are 'culturally fit' but unable to do basic flexibility tasks or those bodies suffer from any number of physical aliments related to how they obtained their fitness (often overworking one area and avoiding in another) and in this way, then, they are not really fit at all. they just have the 'look' of fitness.

It's also important to note that different body types (use whatever system of typing that you want) are going to have different shapes when they are 'fit' or 'in shape.' and culturally, some of those types are going to be classified as 'fat' even when they're fit for that body type, and others are going to be classified as 'fit' because of the body type, regardless of whether or not they have a basic level of 'fitness' as i defined it.

similarly, with these different body types, they seemed to be 'built' for different sorts of activities. Therefore, certain body types aren't going to be drawn to various sports or to certain activities. And, on top of that, if a person of a certain body type wants to sort of 'defy' their natural aptitudes, then they could work out differently to avoid certain developments. For example, many 'endomorphs' or 'kapha' body types have a great capacity for sports like power lifting. Yet, many women are told that having 'big thighs' (whether muscular or not) it 'unattractive' and therefore many women who have endomorphic tendencies are taught to not go into a sport that would make them fit (and likely happy based on the accomplishment of gaining strength and muscle), but rather avoid working out those muscles in any way so that they can fit a cultural norm of "fit" and therefore "attractive" which is preferential to ectomorphic tendencies for women (mesomorphic tendencies are prefered constructs of male beauty).

Whether or not you want to get into these sorts of 'value judgement' discussions is irrelevant. When we try to make a standard or set a standard, there is a value judgement in there one way or another--and it's impact can be far reaching.

And, just to give an example about that thigh thing, here's a true story:

Zoebird likes to lift weights. She does the following routine:

Day 1: Squat, bench press, overhead press
Day 2: Deadlift, Row, and chin ups.

Zoebird has ecto-mesomorphic tendencies. For the most part, she has the long bones and sorter muscle bellies of the ecotomorph, but responds to activity like the mesomorph. She is 5 ft 7 inches tall and weighs about 125 lbs (i don't weigh regularly, so i figure that's about where i am).

Zoebird is dressed modestly for the gym experience. t-shirts are not fitted, but fit well. they are short sleeved. pants are fitted by not lycra-fitted. This is just more comfortable.

Zoebird decides that squatting is awesome and squats 120 lbs. As she is squatting and enjoying herself, some asphole has decided to watch, mostly focusing on zoebird's ample bosom, which is safely under a sports bra and t-shirt. while Zoebird rests between sets, the asphole says to her "You shouldn't squat so much weight; your thighs will get big. I don't like girls with big thighs."

Zoebird's thighs are not very large. remember that she is mostly ectomorphic. HMMM.

Zoebird says "That's ok. I don't like men with small penises, so i don't think you and I have anything to worry about."

Zoebird then went back to squatting. Zoebird's husband will take her to france when she can both squat and deadlift more than she weighs. Only a matter of time. . ..

teehee.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 5:22 PM (#39082 - in reply to #38724)

Ouch! he he he he
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-12-17 8:14 PM (#39153 - in reply to #38724)

Unfortunately YG, we are just spinning our wheels. We certainly come closer to agreement when we drift away from the point of the thread, but we are no closer than we began on the main point. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would want or need to apply a judgement, fit or fat, to someone who has no interest in their own physical conditioning. I just don't see the point. Not to repeat myself, but as I said before once they step into your door and you get to ask that magic question that everyone learns in day two of personal training school.... "What are your fitness goals?".... then we start to assess fitness. As for the rest, you still have not offered a single good reason why we should apply a label, be it fit or fat, to someone who does not wish to address their physical condition.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-17 10:08 PM (#39159 - in reply to #39076)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-12-16 4:48 PM

And, just to give an example about that thigh thing, here's a true story:

Zoebird likes to lift weights. She does the following routine:

Day 1: Squat, bench press, overhead press
Day 2: Deadlift, Row, and chin ups.

Zoebird has ecto-mesomorphic tendencies. For the most part, she has the long bones and sorter muscle bellies of the ecotomorph, but responds to activity like the mesomorph. She is 5 ft 7 inches tall and weighs about 125 lbs (i don't weigh regularly, so i figure that's about where i am).

Zoebird is dressed modestly for the gym experience. t-shirts are not fitted, but fit well. they are short sleeved. pants are fitted by not lycra-fitted. This is just more comfortable.

Zoebird decides that squatting is awesome and squats 120 lbs. As she is squatting and enjoying herself, some asphole has decided to watch, mostly focusing on zoebird's ample bosom, which is safely under a sports bra and t-shirt. while Zoebird rests between sets, the asphole says to her "You shouldn't squat so much weight; your thighs will get big. I don't like girls with big thighs."

Zoebird's thighs are not very large. remember that she is mostly ectomorphic. HMMM.

Zoebird says "That's ok. I don't like men with small penises, so i don't think you and I have anything to worry about."

Zoebird then went back to squatting. Zoebird's husband will take her to france when she can both squat and deadlift more than she weighs. Only a matter of time. . ..

teehee.

Zoebird, I think you shot him dead.

I'm sure that your thighs will look great when you can squat your own weight.

PS: d'you suppose that you can acheive the same results by working on your
standing asanas? Why bother with the weights?

Posted 2005-12-18 8:26 AM (#39172 - in reply to #38724)

BG:

I think it depends upon the what the 'results' that i'm looking for are. I'm not looking for a certain 'look' to my thighs. I'm looking to see how much i can squat. So, it's a different measurement. The first 'goal' is to do my own body weight. After that, i'll set another strength goal.

when i do standing yoga asanas, it's not to get a certain physical look, but rather to become adept at the asana. I want to do the posture properly to get the fullest physical and energetic benefit. I'd like to increase stamina in the posture, the sense of ease/effortlessness, flexibility, or whatever else.

while many people go into yoga or weight training to achieve a certain look, i'm not really interested in that. I do it because i enjoy it--just like i go swimming or rock climbing because i enjoy it. In rock climbing, i don't know how i look, i just know that i'm learning how to climb better each time because my numbers (for the routes and the boulder problems) are going 'up' and the higher numbers are getting easier to do. This means, i'm developing some sort of skill.

does this make sense? So, i do not know how practicing standing asanas will make it possible for me to squat my own body weight. The only way i know that i can squat my own body weight is to squat until i can squat my own body weight. that's the only 'result' that i'm looking for.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-18 8:37 AM (#39173 - in reply to #39172)

Expert Yogi

I think maybe I wasn't clear in the word "result". I didn't mean to
imply that you were interested in "body building" and physical appearance.
What I meant was, don't you think that you can get to the same physical result
in terms of stamina, strength, etc, through asana practice? If your goal is
specific to "squatting", then the answer is clearly no.

I've certainly found that working on handstand has given me a result that's
pretty much equivalent to, say, military press of my of my own body weight....
except that handstand is substantially more complex to master and execute
and that the muscle building is correspondingly slower.

Posted 2005-12-18 9:20 AM (#39175 - in reply to #39173)

yes. i tell people that the only 'workout' that you need is to do yoga. yoga will give you everything that you need for strength, stamina, flexibility, agility, etc. If the asana practice is well rounded--working various postures to develop these various areas of fitness--then yoga is really 'all you need.'

but i find that yoga isn't 'all that i want' from the perspective of movement. I love to move and i love to do different physical things. I don't do yoga to get fit. I don't rock climb to get fit. I don't lift weights to get fit. I don't do anything to 'get fit.' I do what i do because i want to do it and i enjoy the movement.

So, i squat to squat. that's really it. I rock climb to rock climb. i swim to swim. I don't diet to get or stay in shape. I don't exercise in certain ways to get or stay in shape. I don't do these things for 'fitness.' I simply do them because i want to do them.

I can understand people who say "i don't like working out." i understand that this says something else--they don't like gym culture. they don't like having to push themselves to do something. they dont' like the idea of having to do somehting--these sorts of thigns of 'working out.' But, often when they find something--like yoga or dance--that they can enjoy without it feeling or being like a work out, they're hooked and 'cain't nothin' stop them' from doign that movement.

this, then, often leads to other forms of movement that they may enjoy--be it walking or ballroom dance or whatever else. For others, it'll move into more 'traditional sports' sorts of realms like weight training or running. This is more about loving movement and enjoying the body than it is about 'workout out' and 'gaining fitness results.' And this often leads to that greater sense of wellness.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)