YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

protein
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2005-12-02 10:58 PM (#38086)
Subject: protein

Extreme Veteran

what is everyone's opinion on the right amount of protein. i keep reading about 1g of protein per lb of body weight (more for bodybuilding) or 1g per kg of body weight (more realistic) but some people say even that is too much. how much is enough??? protein seems to be more difficult to gauge than carbs. everything is carbs; rice, potato, bread, fruits, even beans is mostly carbs! i think i get around 50-60g per day or so which is right around 1g per kg.

what do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-12-08 11:20 AM (#38498 - in reply to #38086)
Subject: RE: protein

i function better in percentages. i get 20-30% fats, 25-30% protien, and 40-65% carbs. My carbs i divide into 'simple' and 'complex.' i get 60-70% simple and 30-40% complex (of that 40-65%).

So, my typical day looks like this:

breakfast smoothie: Macedemia nut cream (nuts soaked overnite in water, then blended with coconut water to make a 'cream') with mixed berries (frozen) and coconut oil (1 tbsp) with a bit of cranberry lemonaide and some aloe juice (frozen into cubes).

snack: apple, raw cheese (right now, sharp cheddar), and walnuts

lunch: large salad with various veggies and sprouted beans and seeds (i love sprouts). Sometimes, i make a nut pate to add to it or i'll add eggs and cheese. I use olive oil, mustard, and sea salt as my dressing. As it's the winter, i've added in these amazing whole-grain raisin rolls and raw butter to the meal.

snack: currently, because lunch is so large, i'm not interested in a snack. but, if i'm rock climbing and i have to teach over my usual dinner hour, i'll have stuffed dates (dates, almonds, and coconut shavings)--usually 2 or 3.

dinner: winter dinners are usually soups of various sorts--pumpkin, butter nut squash, mixed vegetables and beans, black bean chili. i usuall have a salad or steamed veggies and i'll make corn bread if i'm having chili (jalapeno corn bread). For the other soups, i prefer sourdough or pumpernickel. i buy them from my HFS's bakery.

Snack: currently, i crave broccoli at about 9 o'clock. So, i have broccoli. Sometimes, i'll have home-made ice cream or home made hot vanilla or chocolate.

But, as you can see, i eat mostly veggies and fruit, followed by things that are fatty like olive oil, butter, coconut oil, avocado is good. And then it gets starchier in the evening because i get chilly in the evening and these help fuel the internal fire. In the summer, i tend to eat more veggies and fruits--particularly in the evenings--because it's cooler and lighter. I also tend to eat less fat and i hardly eat any bread at all in the summer months. I do eat tortillas--i either make my own or get them from the local tortilla factory (we have a large migrant community here in PA, so we get a lot of great mexican and central american foods!).
twisti
Posted 2005-12-09 10:57 PM (#38608 - in reply to #38086)

I believe that if you really tune in to what your body is telling you, you will get all the nutrients you need, protein included. Many people actually get too much protein which can cause as much problems in the body as too little.

Afetr my nutrition studies and personal experience I feel that this is a good judge if you need numbers:

Average person 0.8grams per Kilogram of ideal bodyweight
Athletes 1.2-1.7grams per Kilogram of ideal bodyweight
(kilograms = pounds divided by 2.2)

So your guess is pretty accurate fechter03

It is also important the TYPE of protein you are getting because if you can't digest and assimilate it for what it is needed for, no matter how much you eat it ain't going to do you much good.

Bottom line is though, how do YOU feel with what you are eating?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-10 9:41 AM (#38618 - in reply to #38608)

Expert Yogi

Twisti,

I totally agree with what you are saying about eating what your body tells you to and being AWARE and listening to that. I eat so simply every day that I don't have to spend all that energy adding and subtracting - another words doing Math...I just know enough about food and vegetables as they function with the body. Another words, I learned what benefits of what various vegetables, fruits and meats, how they function when I eat them and I use that as my guideline. That is why I like Paul Pitchford's book, "Healing with Whole Foods". It is a basic book that helps you learn the art of eating.

I too use the Spirutein Protein Shake - Vanilla flavor, I do not drink it every day because I do not need it every day. I drink it when my body tells me I need it. I don't eat raw foods every day and if I am feeling over heated or whatever, I eat a raw salad. I cook only a couple of vegetables a day and then I balance it out with rice, roti or cornbread or whatever, and don't make a big deal about it.

When you start counting all this stuff and going nuts with it, I think you end up harming yourself more rather than just simply sitting still and listening. Your body does have a natural KNOWING of what it needs...you just have to learn how to tap into it with common sense. You don't have to get a rocket science degree in nutrition. When I learned how to do this, I maintain a balanced body weight and I learned how to relax about it which is the most important factor....RELAX and BALANCE which are the two key factors of diet.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-10 10:08 AM (#38620 - in reply to #38618)

Expert Yogi

Right on Cyndi - anything math related has to add stress! No extra math in my day, thanks. I like a simple system like - a protein serving the size of your palm, a similar serving of a starch and 2 or 3 times that much in veg. Stir fry it, throw it in a soup or casserole or serve it the way we grew up with - arrange piece by piece on the plate. Simple. IF one is going to do such fussing around at all. It is even simpler just to not buy drive-thru anything and shop the periphery of the grocery store. If it is not in you house, you can't eat it!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-10 11:52 AM (#38622 - in reply to #38620)

Expert Yogi

I'm going to hide what you said about Math from my daughter. We have had the week of hell with trying to learn fractions!!! She hates it. So do I, but I have to not be able to show that I truly hate Math too. I have to pretend that it really is good for you Kristina to learn and know this!!! I feel like such a hypocrite,

It's funny, Science is not another good subject either for us. It is so friggin boring. Anyway, the other day I said to her, what would YOU like to learn that is scientifically related...she told me Astrology. I said Whoopee, let's do it and have some fun, Unfortunately we can't get around the Math and Algebra....
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-10 2:46 PM (#38632 - in reply to #38086)

Hey fechter: I think you should give more importance to what kind of food you eat, rather than to the amount of proteins, etc. Once you decide that, you should eat to satisfaction variety of stuff from your decided kind of food. And, do not overeat. (Undereating is done by only very few in Americas. Mostly they overeat). And, the body shall automatically retain what it needs and throw what it does not. And, you will notice it yourself.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-10 3:08 PM (#38633 - in reply to #38632)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2005-12-10 2:46 PM

And, the body shall automatically retain what it needs and throw what it does not. And, you will notice it yourself.

Neelbhai,

I have a comment about this statement. I am not disagreeing with you at all. However, I don't think the body throws out everything it does not need. Especially if there are elimination and digestion problems present. Then the body in its process of *trying* to eliminate, turns it into pure FAT!! But, from a nutritutional vitamin, mineral and protein point of view, yes, the body does not retain what it does not need. Overeating is another matter altogether in that regard. We Americans do that over the holidays with all of our rich tasting yummy food....but, some Americans think that every day is a holiday cause they can't get enough of the good time that they had, so they keep eating that food thinking it will bring that good cheer and happiness, so therefore, they keep eating that way all year long....and that is why we have an obesity situtation here in the USA.
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-10 10:49 PM (#38636 - in reply to #38632)

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn - 2005-12-10 2:46 PM

Hey fechter: I think you should give more importance to what kind of food you eat, rather than to the amount of proteins, etc. Once you decide that, you should eat to satisfaction variety of stuff from your decided kind of food. And, do not overeat. (Undereating is done by only very few in Americas. Mostly they overeat). And, the body shall automatically retain what it needs and throw what it does not. And, you will notice it yourself.

Neel Kulkarni

i try not to overeat. i hate feeling full and bloated but sometimes the hunger stays and my body gets confused.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-10 11:32 PM (#38639 - in reply to #38086)

Cyndiben:
I agree that if the calorific food is overeaten it shall cause fat and other such things. Also, overeating of non fat can cause toxicity. So, overeating is not good. I meant only slightly overeating if one does not know what the amount is. And, what I meant is slight overeating of Correct Kind of Food. So, to give one example: If one has Rice in one's diet. The correct Rice is Brown Rice and not white rice at all. So, if one overeats slightly brown rice, there is no danger of getting fat. Same with whole almonds (non roasted), whole sprouted lentils as compared to lentil soups, etc.

Fletc: If you feel hungry, feel free to eat sumptuous whole food. And, you will feel good after some practice of this.

Now, if you want to be totally perfect about food and nutrition, I can tell you that it is a subject of its own, and it can not be learnt by little bit of bulletin board enquiries, and 30 min of study each day, and such. You have to spend a long effort to do this. Otherwise, you can start with All Raw Diet and then go from there. But, that is also a big deal.

That is why I suggested a simple method, and which is applicable to a Yoga student.

Neel Kulkarni

Posted 2005-12-11 8:07 AM (#38646 - in reply to #38086)

on this issue of listening to your body and feeding it appropriately--which is my predominent practice--there's a great book by CHarles Eisenstien regarding this called "The Yoga of Eating." he states in the book that this is not about the yoga tradition or any of that, but about the notion of being mindful and present regarding your eating so that you can unify your body to the right diet. it's a really great book.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 9:55 AM (#38651 - in reply to #38646)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai, I totally agree with you about eating less and everything you said. This is how I've maintained my health for all my life. I was born a natural faster, It's not that complicated either.

Anyway, the reason I like Paul Pitchford's book, Healing with Whole Foods, is because its not about someone else telling their experience or instructions about how to eat. Paul's book gives you complete details about FOOD. It tells you the benefits and function of each individual item, including herbs and Ayurvedic principals as well. He further explains the body and it's natural system and how it works, and our relationship to the five elements and so on - based on Oriental Traditions. To me, it is better to educate yourself and know what is good for you and what you need, rather than an instructional manual and someone else's yoga program that may or may not work for your body. This book gives you the information that allows you to heal yourself naturally based on what you need. It also helps you understand the nature of food items and their benefit. It gives you the choice to make your own decisions about your health, which is a good thing to learn to do so you don't become so dam dependent on outside sources, it helps you relate to yourself. There are several other books out there similar to this which are really good sources of finding out the medicinal and benefits of eating a certain kind of food item and herbs.

You also learn like Neelbhai said, about eating the wrong things over and over again to the point where they become toxic to your body. Like for instance, people who love Honey Baked Ham for Christmas. Then they take it and eat it every day for weeks cause there is so much and then wonder why their colds and flu won't go away....Ham is very bad for a cold and talk about toxic. But, if you ate just a little tiny bit, you probably would never notice. Most people do NOT know how to connect what they have eaten with their illness's and discomforts - they don't have a clue. Like, I know at Thanksgiving I ate too much cornbread dressing, but I did that purely out of choice and I KNEW what the results of that would be

Edited by Cyndi 2005-12-11 10:00 AM
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-11 10:55 AM (#38652 - in reply to #38086)

Extreme Veteran

oh, i forgot to add this:

everyone repeat after me: "MATH IS GOOD", "MATH IS GOOD", "WE LIKE MATH"!!!
ok, back to protein discussion.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 11:04 AM (#38653 - in reply to #38652)

Expert Yogi

Fechter,

I double dare you to email my daughter and tell her that. She would freak, as she says!!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-11 11:47 AM (#38658 - in reply to #38652)

fechter03 - 2005-12-11 10:55 AM

oh, i forgot to add this:

everyone repeat after me: "MATH IS GOOD", "MATH IS GOOD", "WE LIKE MATH"!!!
ok, back to protein discussion.

Actually, my Barbie doll says that "MATH IS HARD"....
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 11:58 AM (#38661 - in reply to #38658)

Expert Yogi

Greenjello wrote and Cyndi almost fell off the kitchen stool, LMAO,

GJ,

WTF are you doing with a Barbie Doll???? Now I know there is something strange about you,

Edited by Cyndi 2005-12-11 12:00 PM
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-11 12:05 PM (#38662 - in reply to #38658)

Extreme Veteran

GreenJello - 2005-12-11 11:47 AM

your babie doll is probably blonde..what else would you expect from a blonde..
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-11 12:08 PM (#38663 - in reply to #38653)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2005-12-11 11:04 AM

Fechter,

I double dare you to email my daughter and tell her that. She would freak, as she says!!

your daughter will be fine.

everyone forgets that the key to math is just like asana practice..REPETITION!! have her study EVERY DAY for small periods and it will become easy not to long after wards. for someone who's wary of graduate level math courses, i know.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 12:09 PM (#38664 - in reply to #38662)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2005-12-11 12:05 PM

GreenJello - 2005-12-11 11:47 AM

your babie doll is probably blonde..what else would you expect from a blonde..

Watch out....or Santa won't be coming down your chimney this year. I have close ties with him you know,
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 12:15 PM (#38665 - in reply to #38663)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2005-12-11 12:08 PM

your daughter will be fine.

everyone forgets that the key to math is just like asana practice..REPETITION!! have her study EVERY DAY for small periods and it will become easy not to long after wards. for someone who's wary of graduate level math courses, i know.

Believe me, I'm not worried about her and her *fine-ness*, its getting her to do the repetition part. I homeschool. Her opinion is Math has no point. Not to mention the stage of life that she is in right now...she just turned into a teenager the other day, it was her b-day. Yes, I know that repetition is how you learn Math and any other subjects, including Yoga Asana's....which is why we do it every single day. At least when you're doing yoga asana's, something happens, Math I'm afraid is a total boredom...like there is no movement of energy and it really sucks!!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-11 12:32 PM (#38666 - in reply to #38661)

Cyndi - 2005-12-11 11:58 AM

Greenjello wrote and Cyndi almost fell off the kitchen stool, LMAO,

GJ,
WTF are you doing with a Barbie Doll????

Well.... Right now I'm making ends meet beating up little kids at the playground. (Which yoga helps with!) One them was a little short yesterday, so practicing Ahimsa, I decided to let her give me the Barbie instead of dangling her from the monkey bars. Aren't I a good little yogi!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-11 3:00 PM (#38667 - in reply to #38666)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2005-12-11 12:32 PM

Well.... Right now I'm making ends meet beating up little kids at the playground. (Which yoga helps with!) One them was a little short yesterday, so practicing Ahimsa, I decided to let her give me the Barbie instead of dangling her from the monkey bars. Aren't I a good little yogi!

Hmm?? Okay, sure. Yea right?? Okay, GJ..whatever you say,

So, like what are you going to do with this Barbie Doll now?? You know, you really should give the barbie back...you're not suppose to take Barbie dolls away from girls. Santa's gonna put you on the naughty list,
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-11 3:22 PM (#38668 - in reply to #38665)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2005-12-11 12:15 PMHer opinion is Math has no point.

tell her that math is connected to EVERYTHING around her and that their operating principles are governed my math; you can't get away from it. without math we're back in the stone age..

Posted 2005-12-12 12:23 PM (#38734 - in reply to #38086)

i find that math goes down better when it's really, really practical. I don't home school (obviously) but my friend was having trouble homeschooling her son and learning fractions. On the page, they didn't make a lot of sense to him. Unlike me, he didn't see them as fun puzzles.

So, i went over to give my friend a break and 'hang out' and i asked the little fella (he's 7) if he wanted to help me bake some things with his mom. I gave him the different fractions of cups and then asked him to get me 'one cup of this using the quarter cup' and 'how many will you need for it to make a cup?' and so on. while the muffins, biscuits, breads, and cookies were baking, i showed him how the same principles worked on the page--and that he could uses the figures on the page to figure out what he didn't know (which is actually basic algebra).

Now, no problems with fractions and his long division is excellent too. Oh, and he enjoys helping his mom cook. and he's also learning chemistry. he is doing well with money too, figuring out how to give 'a dollar and a half' or 'this item is 25% off--what percentage off is this item?" and from there--how much money is 25%? and what is the sale price?

At 7, the little guy is figuring out how to use math practically, and then his mom reinforces it with the workbooks.

so, maybe that'll be helpful to a teenager too--particularly when studying algebra which should be coming up in a year or two, right?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-12 1:39 PM (#38740 - in reply to #38734)

Expert Yogi

Well, that's great for a 7 year old, but we are talking about a teenager with lack of motivation due to wanting to do other things...it's very normal.

Yes, we do lots of cooking in the kitchen with measuring cups and slicing fruits and vegetables to the percentages. Anyway, her thing right now is getting motivated to do the advanced fractions, this isn't simple fractions with fruit and veggies and the measuring cup anymore, this is about writing quotients as mixed numbers, renaming improper fractions, and adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. It drives me crazy too, so dam time consuming and time is so precious Yep, this is preparation for Algebra...and I haven't met too many teenagers yet that like algebra, Math doesn't always remain practical Zoebird....Math is suppose to challenge your logical mind, which there ain't nothing practical about that, She can do this, she just doesn't like it and it is not her favorite thing such as English and Social Studies. My son in college still hates Math and his favorite subject is Religious studies. I think he especially likes it because he likes to debate with me, Although, when they were studying the Veda, he sat very patiently and listened to what Satyam and I had to say, which helped him in his class and the exam. That was interesting.

Oh well. So, are we going to discuss Math now instead of Protein?? Why don't ya'll get your A$$'s over here to NC and we will teach Kristina how to get over these fractions...cause we got to move on to MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION OF FRACTIONS - UGH!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)