YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why the forward bends?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

ava
Posted 2005-12-02 1:45 PM (#38030)
Subject: Why the forward bends?

Why are forward bends done between the standing poses in Iyengar classes? I noticed that in Judith Lasater's book 30 Essential Poses, the standing poses are done one after another. What is the benefit of doing the forward bends?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-12-02 4:49 PM (#38045 - in reply to #38030)
Subject: RE: Why the forward bends?

Whatever you see in traditional classes--double 'em for me--I GOTTA have the forward bends as they are absolutely the hardest for me--my hamstings and gluts are like cement--if I don't do the forward bends--I'll stiffen up for any subsequent work.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-02 7:22 PM (#38062 - in reply to #38030)

Expert Yogi

??? I have never done forward bends between standing poses. That would be interesting! Seated or standing forward bends? The Iyengar system is not as rigid as many make it out to be. If the teacher who taught it that way had a good, clear explanation of why they were doing it and how the forward bends were beneficial to be done that way, it would be ok. I am very intrigued about this - tell me more!
Ravi
Posted 2005-12-02 8:17 PM (#38065 - in reply to #38030)

Om Namah Sivaya,
During my TTC at the Sivananda Ranch we were taught that during the Asana practice one should start from the crown and then work down. First inversions, then upper body, and then lower body............Last two postures in my class go from Pada Hasthasana (standing forward bend) into Trikonasana (triangle). Swamiji told the class it was in effort to work the Sahasrara Charkra first then the lastly the Muladhara Chakra.
I've only taken one Iyengar class so I am unsure of the method to the madness...........lol

Om Shanti
Ravi
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-02 9:56 PM (#38072 - in reply to #38030)

Hey Ravi:
Someone already wrote, what someone, an Iyengar Certified person, already wrote that : Iyengar Yoga does not always do the forward bends withing the Standing Poses series. So, do not say Iyengar Yoga while making your comment. Next, I can guarantee you and also I am prepared to face your TTC Swamiji, that there is NO rule in Asana practice to start from Crown towards Feet. That is just a practice for convention, or convinience, or organization. That does NOT have any special advantage in long run.

The sequencing of poses has NO Rule for an extremely experienced Yogi (for others, there is difference, and there can be innumerable different ways to look at it with different benefits, etc.. Of course, if one is doing extended Shavasana, it is generally done at the end! Bruce is expert on that.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
Ravi
Posted 2005-12-03 4:23 PM (#38125 - in reply to #38030)

kulkarnn...for being an expert yogi you've yet to let go of your ego............ I found your repy could be taken rather snootie if one were to take it that way.
I was merely trying to become involved in the conversation and to give some input. I was obviously wrong in doing so. I am very sorry I offended you or IYENGER YOGA (which you seemed to capitalize for me)
I will continue to just read posts from now on and let you experts give all the input.

Om Shanti,
Ravi
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-12-03 10:33 PM (#38140 - in reply to #38030)

It's obvious that I need to start spending more time on this forum. This is the second thread in a week or so that someone has taken umbrage with my friend Neel. Clearly everyone has forgotten what it's like to have someone ( say... me ) around who says things so contrary that the no one bats an eye if a Neel or a Tourist has a little tone every now and then. As for the question itself, the idea of doing a forward bend between standing poses would make some sense in some situations but is not a "rule" of Iyengar or any other yoga. Of course, I don't practice Iyengar. I guess old BKS could have sent out a memo or something and I wouldn't know about it. But I'm pretty sure that Tourist would get a c.c. on that one and she'd let everyone know.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-03 10:51 PM (#38145 - in reply to #38030)

Dear Ravi:

I shall look into your suggestion as to introspect myself to see whether my ego is involved and eradication of the same. But, I wish to tell you that a) I am NOT an Iyengar Style Yoga Teacher b) I am NOT Iyengar Certified either. c) I am also NOT Iyengar Style practitioner. d) BUT, I know Iyengar Style perfectly, because he was personally my teacher for 5 months, 6 hours a day. And, he was my neighbour for years.

e) Next, I was concerned with your using the word .. method to madness... So, I reacted to you.

f) But, my comment on the sequencing still stands. And, that is NOT done with any ego, but to give the information which I have.

Neel Kulkarni
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-03 11:30 PM (#38154 - in reply to #38145)

Expert Yogi

My own practice follows Iyengar teaching rather closely, and I can't say that
I've ever encountered some rule about forward bends between standing poses.
Usually one sequences the poses toward an objective, so that if I were doing
standing poses (say Virabhadrasana I variations) in preparation for backbends, I would
not be inserting Prasarita Padottonasana or Paschimottanasana in between.
Maybe I'm just not understanding the original question...I am not familiar
with Judith L's book or teaching.

Om Nama Sivaya,

bg

Ravi
Posted 2005-12-04 10:24 AM (#38171 - in reply to #38030)

Om Namah Sivaya
Neel,

Maybe you took my phrase "method to madness" out of context my friend. I in no way meant it to be construde as an insult to Iyengar. It was simply me para phrasing my ignorance to his style. No dis-respect was meant.

I did go to your website and see that you an absorbed student of yoga yourself and take great pride one must always remember the greatest lesson is the one of humility.

Master Sivananda says the highest Sadhana was "to bear insult and to bear injury".

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to remind me of the difficulties of the path of Sadhana.

Om Shanti my friend,
Ravi
tourist
Posted 2005-12-04 12:08 PM (#38178 - in reply to #38171)

Expert Yogi

Ravi - a very gracious post. I wish we had a bowing or namaste icon Neel also. I sense a meeting of minds here ;)

Stephen - I have "tone"? Excuse me? Watch yourself young man! Oh....I see....THAT tone

I am still waiting for a reply from ava. I am very curious about the original question! I don't have the JL book, but imagine it follows pretty typical Iyengar sequencing. But the sequence being discussed was the one that was unusual, and the JL was her comparison, I think, right?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-04 6:09 PM (#38210 - in reply to #38030)

I understand my mistake about understanding ( I mean Misunderstanding) the term 'method to madness'. I apologize for the same, with the words:

Jaya Shivananda Maharaj ji ki jaya.

Now, for that I must definitely do a forward bend!

Neel Kulkarni
ava
Posted 2005-12-04 6:39 PM (#38213 - in reply to #38030)

Thank you all for your responses.

tourist, I haven't had a chance to ask the teacher yet. I did find in the book, Yoga: The Iyengar Way, a suggestion that Uttanasana be done between standing poses in order to rest the body. I could not find anything in Light on Yoga about it. Anyway, the answers in this thread satisfied my curiosity on this topic

Bay Guy, your response was very helpful. I'll have to try leaving out the forward bends to see the effect it has on Bridge pose.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-04 10:08 PM (#38222 - in reply to #38213)

Expert Yogi

Ok ava - well, now I can't find my copy of Yoga the Iyengar Way. But a resting Uttanasana (arms folded over the head) is often used if you need to take a break during long sesssions of standing poses. I don't know why I didn't think of that when you first posted! I think I was picturing seated forward bends. So they are not really part of the sequence so much as a means of resting body and brain if needed
damien
Posted 2005-12-07 9:14 PM (#38448 - in reply to #38222)

Iyengar yoga isn't practiced the way it was during the time of light on yoga. It has undergone a transformation, with props being utilised far more often. Mehtas book you speak of would be more contemporary with iyengar yoga today.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2006-03-18 12:30 PM (#46918 - in reply to #38030)

Forward bends in between standing poses (or - easier ones - between backbends) may be used in an Iyengar practice for relaxation & hip opening. They require less energy than the standing poses, & they continue the "lift the knee cap" action. If they are hard for you - you might consider a modification. Try a supported version.
sree
Posted 2006-04-02 1:13 PM (#48511 - in reply to #38030)

Forward bends in between helps to relax the lower lumbar group of muscles. When the torso hangs it is a passive stretch of the lower back muscles. The entire group of muscles act in unison. It might be difficult to feel all these when one is a beginner. But as one progresses it is easier makeout the stretch/benefit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)