YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is anyone a raw foodist?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

yogadream
Posted 2005-11-21 10:45 PM (#37179)
Subject: is anyone a raw foodist?

I have been intrigued with this way of eating and was wondering if anyone else is eating raw. I find it hard to do when the rest of my family is not willing to eat this way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-21 10:59 PM (#37183 - in reply to #37179)
Subject: RE: is anyone a raw foodist?

Eating raw in a cooking world? It is really a dream. This will work only if: a) You really have a dream and conviction that it is good for you. b) You have a determination of not getting affected by others including family, without disturbing their current habits in any way.

a) If you want others to eat raw, tell them this after you continue eat raw for say at least one whole year. Otherwise, leave others alone.

b) If you find it difficult, then go slowly upwards rathern than jumping upwards.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
yogadream
Posted 2005-11-22 6:47 AM (#37194 - in reply to #37183)

It may be a dream for some but for many it is reality. Some people can change from the standard american diet (SAD...or whatever way of eating...) easily, while others gradually make the transition. I would/have never force anyone as I feel it is a personal choice, one that comes with pros and cons. There is enough stress in the world: why create more? It just seems like a simple, pleasing way to eat. One that is healthy, delicious, inspiring, simple and "grouding" I think it ties in beautifully with my yoga practice. Even if I eat just one or two meals a day raw: it is worth it for me.
flipcat
Posted 2005-11-22 7:02 AM (#37195 - in reply to #37179)

I tried to go high raw for a while. I guess I was eating 80-90 percent raw for about 5 months. It was too stressful for me. I did feel pretty good in some ways (but rather crumby in others). It just became too difficult for me to maintain although I still thing it is a fabulous philosophy. Social pressure was a monumental factor. After a little while, our friends stopped inviting my husband and I out. We tried inviting them over, but noone wanted to come for fear that I would serve them my kind of food or for discomfort for eating something other than the host. Work became challenging especially with long overtime situations and needing a quick snack. Work lunches and the like became odd. Everyone thought I had an eating disorder. Not to mention, to continue eating this way and not get completely bored, it requires a good deal of food prep and always carrying food with me. I found I focused more on food this way and enjoying it less. Now I eat raw whenever I can (that I am not forcing myself) and I am much happier.

If you do decide to do it I wish you the best of luck and all my support. If I were to do it all over again, I would at least try to find one friend who is like minded. It would have been nice to have someone that I did not feel like a social outcast around.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-22 11:08 AM (#37227 - in reply to #37179)

Yes Yogadream. I agree that it will be a very interesting, healthy, and so on experience. But, give considerations to other factors such as the previous posting, and then make up a whole plan so that your raw diet goes without cooking yourself. I know one person who eats only raw, if you need info, please send me private email and I shall connect you two. But, if you invite me to your home, please make a delicious cooked meal.

Best Luck
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-11-22 3:49 PM (#37259 - in reply to #37179)

while not a raw foodist myself, many of my friends are and some of them live with non-raw family members.

the main thing for them is to move toward this diet and not expect anyone to accept it or live like they do. also, they learn to prepare what they need.

i recommend taking your time. start by learning how to sprout things. that's a great place to start. save up money to by a dehydrator, as that's one of the biggest tools that raw foodists use. and then just do your best to transition.

for some people who want to be vegetarian, they find it hard to be around omnivores. i am a vegetarian who does not find this the case because i truly have no interest in eating meat. It's easy to act according to your values and interests. once determined, it's very easy and you simply do not want certain foods. my husband never wants doughtnuts; i never want meat. it just works out that way.
tourist
Posted 2005-11-23 12:17 AM (#37303 - in reply to #37259)

Expert Yogi

I feel that an all raw diet is somehow not "natural" since I cannot think of a single culture on earth that entirely consumes a raw diet. To me, it seems that if something has been done since close to the dawn of time, it probably has a purpose. Now, I am sure there were cavepeople who pooh-poohed the whole fire idea ("sure it looks good now, Grog, but next year you'll have to upgrade and before you know it, the whole fire craze will be over and you'll be stuck with a circle of stone while everyone else is eating raw again...") but they, like those who laughed at the Wright Bros, were wrong
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-23 8:01 AM (#37320 - in reply to #37179)

Hey Tourist:
Why are saying that Raw Food is not natural? All the food that is nature is raw, not cooked. The fact is that

a) only correct diet for human can be consumed raw. and that is ripe fruits, raw nuts, veges such as lettuce, etc.

b) some other foods which man consumes and found in the course of time, can only be eaten cooked. For example, potatoes, rice grain, baley grain.

c) most of the food reduces its nutritional value when cooked. but, the unnatural (for human) food can only be consumed when cooked, and therefore, to get nutrition out of it, one has to cook it.

d) Raw food today incorrectly contains sprouted wheats and such. They are not raw, but they are uncooked. Wheatberries on the corn can be eaten raw and taste good when they are soft.

But, I accept that there is a reason and purpose in eating cooked meal. agnimiile purohitam... First Mantram of Rigveda. agni - fire. And, to get good raw food may be a big deal now a days. That time can be used for Yoga practice.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
yogadream
Posted 2005-11-25 8:07 PM (#37495 - in reply to #37320)

all i know is that i feel better when i do eat raw. i don't eat it 100% of the time. i do eat cooked foods and prepare cooked for my family. my italian heritage will also always be ingrained in me. there are some cooked foods that one just cannot live without.....pasta being my favorite in almost any form.... << kulkarnn: sending you spaghetti and meatballs>>

(spaghetti and meatballs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments spaghetti and meatballs.jpg (22KB - 265 downloads)
twisti
Posted 2005-11-26 12:25 PM (#37531 - in reply to #37179)

I was raw for about 18months a few years back - like any dietary approach it has it's ups and downs ... ins and outs ...

I found a lot of raw foodists to be fairly rigid in their approach, causing a lot of mental anguish in their pursuit of perfection.

Like anything I have come to see that balance is always best.

The most realistic and eductaed raw guys I have come across are:

Dr. Douglas Graham http://www.foodnsport.com/
and Frederic Patenaude http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-26 1:22 PM (#37536 - in reply to #37179)

yogadream:
Thanks for your gift. I accept it. But, I have to pass it on to my Italian friend,whose natural diet is Spaghetty+Meatballs. I was about to eat it, but I noticed meat ball which are Supernatural to me!!!

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
yogadream
Posted 2005-11-27 6:57 AM (#37576 - in reply to #37536)

thanks twisti, for the links....very informative
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)