YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Intro I/II assessment anyone?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

quetzal
Posted 2005-11-19 11:14 AM (#36954)
Subject: Intro I/II assessment anyone?

Hi,
this may be an embarrassing request, but: I'm in teacher training in Sweden, and since we're practically the only teacher training group in sparsely populated Scandinavia, there is no chance for us future candidates to volunteer in assessments as students before it gets down to serious business
So... after what our teacher told us, we have, of course, a rough idea of what it will (or at least: could) be like, but in order to calm the nerves and to satisfy the curiosity, I'd very much appreciate it if some of you who have come through this 'baptism of fire' would be willing to share his/her experience...

Thanks for you leniency
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-11-19 2:34 PM (#36959 - in reply to #36954)
Subject: RE: Intro I/II assessment anyone?

Expert Yogi

Hi quetzal and welcome. Not a terribly Swedish sounding screen name but since my knowledge of Swedish mostly comes from reading the Ikea catalogue...

Congrats on getting ready for assessment! I just did mine (and passed - whew!) and it was a great experience. Volunteering as a student at an assessment is indeed good practice but you can get a lot of that by doing peer teaching or setting yourself up a mock assessment.

It might be easier for me to help if I knew a bit more. How many are in your group? Are your mentor teachers also your assessors? Will you be assessed at your own or someone else's studio? Will your regular students be the volunteer students? All of this makes a difference because a lot of the learning I found was figuring out how to work in a studio new to me, being prepared for students whose bodies and capacities I didn't know etc. If you will be working with students you don't know, the best prep is subbing for other teachers. Going into a class "cold"and teaching only by what you can see and not what you already remember about people is wonderful preparation.

Will you have to travel to get to the assessment? If so, try to get there at least one day ahead to adjust to a different bed, find and try to get a class or practice at the studio. Try to work out your eating and rest cycles ahead of time as well. I had a two hour time difference to deal with but it was ok.

I think the best advice I have came from my 25 year old son. He said that if you trust that your teachers have prepared you well, you will be ok
quetzal
Posted 2005-11-19 7:02 PM (#36968 - in reply to #36959)

Hi tourist, thanks for the warm welcome and your readiness to share some of your experience! As for the screen name, I'm sorry to disappoint you - I admit it's not very Swedish, but I'm not very Swedish either (just an Ikea-land immigrant), so please forgive me for not picking something more fancy like "Trolleljungby" or "Gnösjö" or the like

To give you an idea of the situation here:

How many are in your group?

We're twelve, from all over the country plus some from Norway - which makes it difficult to meet out of training weekends in order to practice together or do peer teaching.

Are your mentor teachers also your assessors?

No. We'll have three assessors from different European countries.

Will you be assessed at your own or someone else's studio?

It'll probably be at some other place, but in the same town.

Will your regular students be the volunteer students?

Nope. The benefits of subbing in order to prepare for the assessment situation are obvious, but then again you have to think of Sweden as a kind of developing country when it comes to (Iyengar) yoga, so for most of the participants in the teacher training subbing is not a realistic option (plus the very few existing Iyengar studios won't even let you assist unless you have passed Intro I)

if you trust that your teachers have prepared you well, you will be ok

Oh yes, how true... *sigh* I guess I'm just a bit uneasy (somewhat ridiculous: still months to go!) because I can't imagine what the setup and the atmosphere will be like - if it'll be formal and rigorous like an examination in university or rather "performance"-like or whatever. Um... I'm aware that it's actually impossible to anticipate the situation (too many variables involved), so my request for information/experience might be somewhat inappropriate.

Anyway: if there's anything you'd be willing to share, I'd be dying to hear it
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-11-19 11:03 PM (#36979 - in reply to #36968)

Expert Yogi

Hi Gnösjö,

I'm going to ask a stupid and uninformed question, but do you have
a certified teacher with whom you are working? That person would be your
best resource on certification matters, but I suppose that you
are asking here b/c your teacher is at some distance from you and/or
the whole certification process.

I've certainly seen how hard folks work to prepare for certification,
and one thing that I've watched a number of times is small groups
of teachers (think 3-5) meeting to practice teaching one another and
to critique one another's teaching. Based on the [successful] outcomes,
I would conclude that this approach, with dedicated study, is very helpful.

Best of luck to you,

BG
tourist
Posted 2005-11-20 11:17 AM (#37009 - in reply to #36968)

Expert Yogi

That's right Bay Guy. Some of my most important learning came from sitting around the studio with one or two other candidates and just working through "how do you teach pose xyz?" and that sort of question. Since there are soooo many ways to teach each pose, finding the best way to teach it in an assessment is important. Then we would teach each other and critique (kindly but honestly!) the teaching. Even if you can only round up one other body, it is worth practicing the teaching component as frequently as possible. You do have at least one regular class you teach, right?

OK - I have to run. More later.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)