YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thanks-for-Giving Recipes!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-18 10:56 AM (#36844)
Subject: Thanks-for-Giving Recipes!!

Expert Yogi

Well, the Thanks-For-Giving time is upon us again. I thought it would be interesting to share some recipe ideas for our Thanksgiving Feasts. Yesterday, my daughter and I started early by making this particular fruit salad that is an oldie and a goodie. I thought I'd share it with you. We are having it for lunch today,

WATERGATE SALAD

12 ounce tub of Cool Whip (not that fat free stuff either, buy the *real* one - dark blue container)

1/2 bag of teeny tiny marshmallows (Whole Foods has these really nice vanilla organic ones that are good for this recipe) but Kraft works just fine

1 small box of Jello brand, Pistachio Pudding - Instant

1-1.5 cups of crushed fresh pineapple with juice or 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple - do NOT drain, you need the juice

1 cup of chopped Pecans

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT Nuts and Marshmallows till thoroughly mixed. Then add marshmallows and nuts. Top with remaining bag of marshmallows for decoration. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.

*This is one of those recipes that gets better every day for several days. It's a good one to make a couple of days in advance. Also, if you make this for a party or gathering...you will never have any leftovers (you may want to double it), and carry the recipe, everyone always wants it,

Enjoy!! and Happy Thanks-For-Giving Day Everybody!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-11-18 11:04 AM (#36848 - in reply to #36844)
Subject: RE: Thanks-for-Giving Recipes!!

Expert Yogi

Yikes! Serious 1970's flashback Can Miracle Whip chocolate cake be far behind?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-18 11:17 AM (#36851 - in reply to #36848)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-11-18 11:04 AM

Yikes! Serious 1970's flashback Can Miracle Whip chocolate cake be far behind?

Tourist,

Get with the program...it's the millenium now and it's not "Miracle Whip Chocolate Cake", it's Cafe' Chocolat`e Mousse`,

Posted 2005-11-22 4:01 PM (#37261 - in reply to #36844)

here are some of the recipes that i'm using this year. since many of us are disinclined to make certain things home made because of the difficulty, i've made a brand recommendation for a frozen option for those who want to take that 'short cut.'

Wild Mushroom and Spinach Strudel

1 package of pepperridge farms pastry dough (not filo and this brand is vegan)
mushrooms: cremini, ****take, and white
sage and tarragon (fresh)
small white onion cut into half moon slivers
salt and pepper
white wine or vegetable broth

sautee mushrooms with herbs and white wine until about 1/2 cooked and then add spinach (i de-stem mine and chop it fine) so that it wilts. Put the whole mixture into the edge of the dough and roll it over and over until you have a tube. press down the ends to close them and then cut holes/lines across the top. bake at 400 until the pastry is golden (about 20 minutes).

for those who want to add meat to it, people seem to like sausage with it.

Savoy Sweet and Red Bliss Potatoes

sweet and red bliss potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
vegetable broth
olive oil
favorite herbs (i like to use a chili powder family of spices--chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, and corriander and cinnimon)
salt

boil potatoes and sweet potatoes until nearly cooked. drain away vegetable broth. toss potatoes with spices and olive oil. broil until the edges are golden and start to crisp. remove from broiler and place in nice bowl. toss again with olive oil and sea salt.

Baked Figs with blue cheese and walnuts

figs
walnuts
blue cheese
apple cidar or apple juice
water

in a low baking dish, pour apple juice or apple cidar and water to just cover the bottom of the pan. cut Xs into the top of each fig and place in the baking dish. bake at 350 until baked through (i only know this by feel. they get squishy.).

remove from baking dish while still hot and place on serving dish. gentle squeeze each fig to make it 'flower' a bit. put blue cheese over each fig--it should melt as the figs are hot! sprinkle with walnuts and serve.

if you wanted, you could reduce some apple cidar to a sticky sauce to serve over the figs. it's pretty nice. use the pan drippings and a bit more apple cidar. let it reduce (adding flour or corn starch if you wish) and then simply pour over each fig.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-22 10:53 PM (#37291 - in reply to #37261)

Expert Yogi

The strudel sounds good. I have a freezer full of filo dough...could I still use filo for this recipe?? I'm assuming you meant to say $hittake mushrooms, My sister lives near a mushroom farm and we get these in the bags so cheap. I'm going to see her on Thursday and I might just try this recipe out...with filo dough though cause I'm done grocery shopping for the week.

Posted 2005-11-23 3:48 PM (#37369 - in reply to #36844)

i always try to spell shiittake with too many iis and tts but it rarely works out.

i've never used filo dough, but you could try it and see. why not?
Miabella704
Posted 2005-11-24 8:05 PM (#37444 - in reply to #36844)

Wow, Zoebird, I'm coming over!!! You and Cyndi can have shared custody of me. You women sound like you can cook!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)