YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stomach problem
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

Graham
Posted 2005-11-18 10:56 AM (#36843)
Subject: Stomach problem

HI,
I have recently been told by my doctor that I have diverticulitis,which is an inflamation of the bowel.It's not certain what causes it, and is more common in western people.The only advice I had was to change my diet, i.e eat more roughage which I do anyway.Does anyone know of anything which might help my problem, either herbal or physical, as in asanas for instance.
Thanks.

Namaste.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-18 6:42 PM (#36928 - in reply to #36843)
Subject: RE: Stomach problem

Dear Graham:

In order to help you (in my case), I need to a) see your X-rays, location, and type of diverticulitis you have b) know all your dietary habits, not just fibre c) all other habits. In other words, personal attention is must. However, for now, I can recommend: A supervised (by experienced person) mid-long term fast.

Best Luck
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
solaris
Posted 2005-12-04 5:17 AM (#38159 - in reply to #36843)

If you have the money to swing it....why not try (if your doc isn't one) a naturopath or wholistic MD, chinese herbalist or westen herbalist or natural modalities like Reflexology, massage..etc. Get some books or even on the net you can find information. Try reading "Back To Eden" by Jethro Kloss and John Lust. "Intestinal Toxicity and Inner Cleansing" by Dr. Jeffery Bland. Get to a good bookstore or even ebay has lots of books. Get familar with better health, your ailment, and what you can do for yourself about it. Try doing your own net search for yoga asana that might help.

http://www.diverticulitis.org.uk/

http://tinyurl.com/o63th

http://tinyurl.com/ohyw5

Solaris

Posted 2006-07-30 5:42 PM (#60427 - in reply to #36843)

Hello Graham,

What is it in your life that you are unable to stomach?

Graham - 2005-11-18 7:56 AM

HI,
I have recently been told by my doctor that I have diverticulitis,which is an inflamation of the bowel.It's not certain what causes it, and is more common in western people.The only advice I had was to change my diet, i.e eat more roughage which I do anyway.Does anyone know of anything which might help my problem, either herbal or physical, as in asanas for instance.
Thanks.

Namaste.

tourist
Posted 2006-07-31 12:07 PM (#60520 - in reply to #60427)

Expert Yogi

purna - I have certainly spent a good amount of time pondering that question myself! With acid reflux caused by a weak upper esopogeal muscle, this is a great question. For the op, however, I would think it would be more "what can't you digest/process?" Whadya think?

Posted 2006-08-02 12:12 AM (#60749 - in reply to #60520)

I think they are the same question. Mine was slang. Yours is well conceived and gramatically proper. Well aligned, if you will. The esophogeal valve is right between the heart chakra and the stomach chakra, no?
Interesting. You can't unacidify the stomach because it doesn't function in an akaline state.

I will ask the big cheese about this tomorrow in Day Three ofr the summer session and see what he says.
Interested in that information?

tourist - 2006-07-31 9:07 AM

purna - I have certainly spent a good amount of time pondering that question myself! With acid reflux caused by a weak upper esopogeal muscle, this is a great question. For the op, however, I would think it would be more "what can't you digest/process?" Whadya think?
tourist
Posted 2006-08-02 11:05 AM (#60794 - in reply to #60749)

Expert Yogi

Definitely interested! But I see that I fibbed - it is actually a weak LOWER esophogeal muscle (the LES in med-speak) - the one that holds the top of the stomach closed. But from your post, I see you have figured that out.

The reason I defined the question that way is that I have been told I also have issues with the way my throat works. It is supposed to contract in nice, smooth, wavy patterns (peristaltic waves), but mine apparently grips and spasms as I swallow (the delightfully named "nutcracker esophagus"). The test for this is to lie on one's back with a pressure sensitive tube down one's throat while they give you sips of water. Did I mention lying on the back? I don't picture too many folks passing that test.... Anyhoo, one gastro says that makes me ineligible for a surgery that might help while the other says that sometimes just having the reflux can cause esophagus to behave that way. So anyway, I have found myself very carefully considering the questions - both "what can't I swallow?" and "what can't I digest?" And in fact, the treatment for this condition includes all sorts of lovely meds that cut stomach acid, which does indeed make digestion trickier. I cheated on my usual routine and ate a small tomato and avocado salad last night at 5:30 and I can feel a slight irritation in the back of my throat this morning. Normally I don't eat much after 4:30.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-02 11:07 AM (#60795 - in reply to #36843)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic578.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000257.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis/DS00070

---from the Mayo Clinic---
Too little fiber. Diverticulitis is rare in countries where people eat a high-fiber diet that helps keep stools soft. But it's common in industrialized nations, such as the United States, where the average diet is high in refined carbohydrates and low in fiber. In fact, diverticular disease emerged after the introduction of steel rolling mills, which greatly reduced the fiber content of flour and other grains. The disease was first observed in the United States in the early 1900s, around the time processed foods became a mainstay of the American diet. Too little fiber contributes to small, hard stools that are difficult to pass, which increases pressure in your colon.

IMO
A lifetime of kriyas including Nauli and Uddiyana could improve the overall health of the abdominal region, but diet is paramount.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-08-02 11:08 AM

Posted 2006-10-03 12:35 AM (#66041 - in reply to #36843)

Where's the OP in this one???
tourist
Posted 2006-10-03 7:22 PM (#66128 - in reply to #66041)

Expert Yogi

I dunno but I got to play with tiny url
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-03 8:25 PM (#66141 - in reply to #36843)

Not only add fiber but stay away from seeds (strawberry, tomato, cucumber) that could aggravate diver by getting stuck in the pouches, causing more inflammation. Abdominal massage is great for intestinal problems, although sometimes ab massage is not very comfortable. Within the scope of Chinese Medicine, the phrase is Chi Nei Tsang. I know there are chi nei tsang practitioners in the Bay Area. Not sure about other places. Oops. Just checked out your profile and you do not live in the BA.

Ask your healthcare provider if you can slowly add seeded foods into your diet once your symptoms have subsided.

I'd vote for Iyengar yoga.
beautiluck
Posted 2010-03-22 7:09 AM (#122069 - in reply to #36843)
Subject: Re: Stomach problem

It Must Be Because Of Eating Spicy Food Avoid From It.
john
Posted 2011-05-03 1:11 PM (#208268 - in reply to #36843)
Subject: Re: Stomach problem

There are many ways to relief from stomach pain. We should take more water. Do not take any outside foods.
joieshdavid
Posted 2012-01-20 11:34 AM (#209862 - in reply to #36843)

New User

Heartburn in your upper abdomen or chest, the impact of heart disease, often imitating the burning sensation. Because of this, physicians should be aware of their condition, if not responding to OTC acid buffer and H2 blockers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)