YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is yoga dangerous??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-25 10:58 PM (#35104 - in reply to #35092)
Subject: RE: is yoga dangerous??

Bay Guy - 2005-10-25 9:28 PMIf you've seen one boob, you've seen 'em all. So nah!

Still working on that one. I've seen quite a few, but I don't think I've seen enough to be fully confident in that theory...... I'm working very diligently on the problem.

I would simply admire your lovely boob and then go on with my yoga.

Is there a difference between the contemplation and the yoga? Sounds like an excellent chance to practice non-attachment to me!

Southern Utah Polygamist answer: I never practice around women because I would have to leave them barefoot and pregnant if I did.

I'm from Kentucky, we only do that sort of thing with kin-folk.

My wife's boobs are more beautiful than yours, so nah! (Guess who's reading over my shoulder!)

I think we need some proof.......  
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrD
Posted 2005-10-25 11:57 PM (#35109 - in reply to #35064)

trishanne - 2005-10-25 3:08 PM

After reading a lot of posts here, i've come to the conclusion that hey, i like yoga.
i like the way i feel after a good class. i always look forward to my next session.
and i don't feel that my personal beliefs have been compromised in any way.
i think i need to stop worrying and just enjoy it!! if it makes me happy, how can it be bad. right??
i'm sure my family will see in time that it's not something weird.
i'll show them what yoga really is

With Bikram you shouldn't have any philosophical comments. If you try Baptiste power yoga and Iyengar there should be no conflict either. Gyms emphasize the physical practice also.

Most of my yoga instructors are practicing Christians. One told me "I love yoga, but it's not going to interfere with my religion.

Family members do come around. Got my son and daughter interested pretty quickly After three years my wife finally does some. She tried it with some praise and worship music last night and loved it.

If you're interested in yoga ideas in a Christian context try http://dailyword.com. It changes daily.

Edited by MrD 2005-10-26 12:05 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-26 5:08 AM (#35115 - in reply to #35092)

Methinks Bay Guy doth protesteth too much *ggg*

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-10-26 5:09 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-10-26 10:31 AM (#35123 - in reply to #35115)

Expert Yogi

In Iyengar yoga you will probably not hear much on the spiritual or philosophical aspects until you have moved from the beginner level, at least from the teachers I know. We do recite the Invocation but many teachers to do introduce it until Level II. As I type this I realize that there are those who would interpret this as "having a hidden agenda" but I feel it is more a case of allowing students to become comfortable with the physical aspects of yoga first so that they can comfortably choose whether or not to chant or become involved with philosophy. An elementary school teacher teaches ABC's and basic arithmetic and some students will go on to study quantum physics or Shakespeare, but there is no "hidden agenda" from the teacher creating an expectation that all of the students will go on to those studies, just preparation in case they do.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-26 9:47 PM (#35171 - in reply to #35123)

Glenda, that sounds very much like Iyengar himself.  After having read his book, I've noticed that he spends a lot of time pointing, or implying things, rather than stating them right out loud.  I have a lot of respect for that, since I seldom talk about such things.  (Which is why I like to come here, it gives me an outlet)

I also think that most people have had enough exposure from popular culture to have a some idea (albeit a distorted one) of what to expect in a yoga studio.

I'm of two minds about the preparing students though.  To some extent its like comparing the people who like to dip their toes in the pool first, and opposed to the people who jump into the deep-end.  With my teacher, she like to push people into the deep end.    Some people probably find it a bit overwelming, but at the same time I think it encourages people to speak out, and ask her questions.

Do you find that the people at the local studio are reluctant to ask questions, particulary about the more esoteric aspects?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-26 10:02 PM (#35178 - in reply to #34921)

I was told that I should not talk much philosophy and chanting and such at places like Gyms. To my surprise, they wanted it and enjoyed it, whereas almost no other teacher at that Gym was teaching these topics with some assumptions.

My feeling is that a teacher should teach what he/she feels should be given to those students as Yoga. Also, the teacher should know what studetns needs are such as how to do a pose, to build strength, etc. Teacher must NOT worry too much about what one particular student does NOT want. Now, if the teacher is a Corporate Slave, then he/she has to obey the manager, who may not know any Yoga.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-26 10:11 PM (#35181 - in reply to #35123)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-10-26 10:31 AM

In Iyengar yoga you will probably not hear much on the spiritual or philosophical aspects until you have moved from the beginner level, at least from the teachers I know. We do recite the Invocation but many teachers to do introduce it until Level II. As I type this I realize that there are those who would interpret this as "having a hidden agenda" but I feel it is more a case of allowing students to become comfortable with the physical aspects of yoga first so that they can comfortably choose whether or not to chant or become involved with philosophy. An elementary school teacher teaches ABC's and basic arithmetic and some students will go on to study quantum physics or Shakespeare, but there is no "hidden agenda" from the teacher creating an expectation that all of the students will go on to those studies, just preparation in case they do.

I think that it's partly to avoid scaring people away...as we can see, there are folks who
think that yoga will lead you to selling Bhagavad Gitas in the airport, cutting your
hair funny, and taking on an Indian name that you did not get from your parents.

I am never very happy with efforts to put the camel's nose under the tent. As they
say, come in through the door, not the window. So......I started Iyengar yoga at a
level that included studies of the Yoga Sutras, and it was what I was looking
for, after having got my sanitized exposure to Hatha Yoga via Bikram. In other words,
nobody slipped it in while I was doing Uttanasana. I went there deliberately, with eyes
wide open.

Let's imagine yoga as something that is only physical, like soccer (or, properly, football).
Eventually, you get older or get an injury or a disability. Then you can't do it anymore,
and you've lost whatever it was that you got from it. I expect to get old and I can only
be realistic and imagine that a day will come when I can't do full arm balance or...but
I don't intend to lose my practice of yoga when that happens. Even when I can't move,
there will be Pranayama, or Dharana, or Dhyana, or... Samhadi. The practice of asana
is a vehicle, not a destination.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-26 10:28 PM (#35185 - in reply to #34921)

Dear Tourist and Bay Guy:

Let us see how many classes average we have attended. Whatever the style is. Then, let us visit all the levels of such a style, even as an onlooker. How many of them will be teaching Philosophy systematically at any level? How many of them shall teach chanting at any level?

So, I do not agree that it is a) for NOT scaring off people b) to start later, etc.

The fact is that: Each Style has certain elements which are taught, and they do NOT cover other elements.

I believe in teaching all the elements possible, as per the knowledge of the teacher.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-26 10:32 PM (#35187 - in reply to #35185)

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel,

The comments that Tourist and I made were only in reference to the Iyengar
style, which certainly does not introduce philosophy until the higher levels are
reached, and which certainly does teach philosophy at the higher levels.

Bay Guy
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-27 10:01 AM (#35213 - in reply to #34921)

Dear BG:
Thanks for that response. Do you mean Higher Level Group classes? Also, in my personal opinion, Philosophy Class does not require Higher Level because most of the time, the levels are decided by how long a person can stay in headstand, etc. Any person is generally eligible for Philosophy Teaching. Of course, that is my opinion.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-27 10:19 AM (#35216 - in reply to #35213)

Expert Yogi

I'm a good example for this conversation. I came into Bikram a couple of years AFTER I started studying Vedanta Philosophy and marrying my Hindu husband, and learning how to chant mantras and doing pooja. So, who says you have to be advanced to learn philosophy and who says you can't or won't have an interest to learn it just because you do Bikram style yoga asana's?? this is BS you guys. There are no rules to Yoga. Just because you had a bad time with Bikram or whatever, does not make it the rule.

I'll give you one more example. Several years ago after receiving some initiations from a high lama that was visiting from Tibet, later I walked into the middle of their Tibetan Buddhist Temple teaching and found myself in the advanced class. After being there for a couple of weeks at first, after listening to their idle chatter (which the guru instructed them NOT to do), I thought maybe I was in the wrong place. Well, it turned out later than I was in fact, NOT in the wrong place, I was more advanced than the students who had received teachings from High Lama's from all over the world, who thought and called themselves advanced students, I was a better practitioner than they as I had experience whereas they only had intellect.

So, be careful about how philosophy and how it should be taught. There are so many aspects to this and some people are already advanced more than you.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-27 10:49 AM (#35221 - in reply to #35216)

Expert Yogi

GJ - there are people who are reluctant to ask and some that want to know everything right away. And everyone comes to class with a different background. Some are like Cyndi, with lots of philosophy and now want asana, some have "dabbled" and know a little and some are indeed jumping into their deep end just by signing up for asana class. We actually do put in little bits of philosophy here and there - more like background info I suppose, in beginners classes. Things like the meaning of OM, who Patanjali was, etc. As people progress, they tend to be more interested and come to workshops that talk more about philosophy. This means that one does not necessarily need to be able to hold a 5 minute headstand before they learn abut the yamas and niyamas
Mitch
Posted 2005-10-27 11:06 AM (#35227 - in reply to #34921)

I'm inclined to believe that it's self study. Most studios/gyms are built on an all-level, drop-in philosophy. Sure, serious students often commit to a studio, but most people squeeze random hatha classes into their busy everyday schedules - different studios, different times, etc.

For some people, hitting a few classes a week is enough. Other people like to be introduced to the bigger picture, by having concepts introduced as part of the teacher's dialogue. But it seems that the common path is: check out a class - start attending regularly - start reading and learning more about Yoga as a whole - hang out at online yoga message boards .

It's easy to find hatha classes. It takes more effort to find sutra studies, sanskrit, or even pranyama classes.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-27 11:08 AM (#35228 - in reply to #35227)

Expert Yogi

Mitch,

Who is that man with BKS??
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-27 11:13 AM (#35229 - in reply to #34921)

The classes at Gym are meant for Fitness and that is well known. Even Gym authorities advertise that you shall receive fitness, NOT philosophy. So, one who wants Philosophy should consider NON GYM class.

Now, whether one should do Philosophy or not is a personal choice. And, one who wants Philosophy will automatically go for it. There is NO need for a teacher worry about it. What a teacher has to do: a) whether he/she has background to teach Philosophy b)whether he/she wants to teach it - Accepting that Teaching Philosophy has nothing to do with any levels or beginner or scaring off people, etc. c) And, then do accordingly. What a student has to do is: a) if NOT interested in Philosophy, do not go to Philosophy class. b) If interested in Philosophy, go where it is taught. c)if these two are impossible, adjust what is given, but NOT mix Philosophy with Hatha and Breathing, and such.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-27 2:04 PM (#35241 - in reply to #35221)

Glenda - Sounds like a good approach.  I personally started at the meditation/philosophy side of things, and moved into asanas/pranayam now that I'm getting a bit older.  So far I've yet to hear anything that really blows me away on the philosophy side, so either I've already got a good grounding in it, or they don't feel I'm ready yet. 

It's cool that your studio is offering seperate classes in the philosophy.  The local teacher is talking about starting that sort of course, which would be neat, though I wonder how well attended it will be.  Our local Jivamukti teacher is the only one who seems to talk about more than OM and nameste, and she always has a packed class.  However, she also does amazing squences, so I'm not entirely sure it's the lecture at the beginning.

I guess I might be pleasantly surprised.  Not many people would figure me for a yogi, what with my Iron Madien T-Shirt and all. 
Mitch
Posted 2005-10-27 2:42 PM (#35245 - in reply to #35228)

Cyndi - 2005-10-27 11:08 AM

Mitch,

Who is that man with BKS??

Cyndi,

It's Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois. BKS and SKPJ spent some time together to celebrate SKPJ's 90th birthday. The picture is from a recent Namarupa cover.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-27 2:42 PM (#35246 - in reply to #35228)

Cyndi - 2005-10-27 11:08 AMMitch,Who is that man with BKS??

Patabi Jois. 

Posted 2005-10-27 4:25 PM (#35257 - in reply to #34921)

i was told i couldn't teach in my IM t-shirt.

i stopped working for them anyway. foo-foo women's gym.

i teach philosophy whereever i teach. when the gym or facility tells me to stop, i stop working for them. i've only had to do that twice (and once was a yoga studio--and i actually got fired but that's what i was looking for anyway. . .or whatever--same result).

Edited by zoebird 2005-10-27 4:31 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-27 6:11 PM (#35277 - in reply to #34921)

Good Zoebird. That is the way!

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-27 9:09 PM (#35300 - in reply to #35257)

zoebird - 2005-10-27 4:25 PMi was told i couldn't teach in my IM t-shirt.

Seems a bit pushy on their part.  I'd have come in with a Punk Rock T-Shirt for something like the "Revolting Cocks", but then that's just me, I like to do what I'm told. 

i teach philosophy whereever i teach. when the gym or facility tells me to stop, i stop working for them. i've only had to do that twice (and once was a yoga studio--and i actually got fired but that's what i was looking for anyway. . .or whatever--same result).

Well.... there's a time to teach, and a time not too.  I personally don't like to discuss such things with people I don't know.  I also don't think you're going to get anywhere talking to people who don't want to listen to your message.  Since teaching the philosophical side of things is important to you, it's probably good that you left.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)