YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is yoga dangerous??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

trishanne
Posted 2005-10-23 7:15 PM (#34921)
Subject: is yoga dangerous??

hi, everyone. i am very new to yoga and this board. i've posted a couple of times and got really great supportive responses back. i've been reading some of the posts here and i'm a little concern. i was reading about the kundalini yoga and frankly that got me a little scared. i'm doing the bikram yoga. i've only gone four times so far. but someone said although bikram is mainly physical, that can also awaken the kundalini??.

i'm from a very conservative christian home and when i told my family that i've taken up yoga, they weren't exactly thrilled. i told them of my experience and to me bikram yoga is very physical and i'm not really meditating or chanting. but my family is convinced that these movements are a part of the whole package and that you can't separate the physical aspects of yoga from yoga in and of itself.

i don't mean to offend anyone. i think it's great if you're into experiencing all that yoga has to offer. but for me i'm only really interested in the health benefits that come from yoga. and i really need flexibility. i can't even grab my ankles people!!
i just wanted some insight from a more experienced members here. Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-23 7:58 PM (#34922 - in reply to #34921)
Subject: RE: is yoga dangerous??

Okay this is a really HUGE subject that you need to decide for yourself. That having been said, let me attempt to address some of your issues. I also come from a very conservative christain home, and have struggled with some of the same issues. Frankly, it's still an issue after many years of going back and forth about it.

You should do what you feel is best for you.

trishanne - 2005-10-23 7:15 PMbut someone said although bikram is mainly physical, that can also awaken the kundalini??.

Weeelllll Kundalini is a huge subject in an of itself with a lot of disagreement on what it means, how it manifests, etc. To some degree it's a matter of dealing with the life energies already inherent in your, and everybody elses, bodies. Yoga, and a number of other normal physical and mental exercises will strength your body's energy as part of the physical development.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it, spontanoues Kundalini raising are very rare. They're also found in all religions, including Christianity, so there's nothing inherently Hindu about it. Take a look at the lives of some of the saints, and you'll see similiar descriptions.

i'm not really meditating or chanting.

Okay, the real issue here is whether or not you're following God's path for your life, living as a "true" christain. If you look at the Christian tradition, there is also meditation, and chanting. I'd advise you to do the research yourself to the point that you become comfortable with it. For example, Benadictine monks often chant, and spend hours in pray and contemplation/meditation.

If you don't feel comfortable with anything thats going in the studio, such as paying respect to various Hindu dieties, DON'T! IMHO, it's a rose of another name, from traditions that pre-date Christianity, but your feeling/faith may differ. If your studio doesn't respect you decision to not bow before strange idols, find another one that will. Good yoga teachers will know exactly where you're coming from, and respect your decision.

but my family is convinced that these movements are a part of the whole package and that you can't separate the physical aspects of yoga from yoga in and of itself.

That is a really big question. If you look at any of the Yoga sutras, they will tell you that the purpose of Yoga asanas is to prepare the body for meditating. The exercises, and stretching routines are built with this in mind, much like the exercises you get with the martial arts are designed to increase your kicks and punches, or running makes it easier to run. That having been said, meditation is a common denominator in ALL major religions. (What do you think Jesus was doing out in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights?)

Edited by GreenJello 2005-10-23 8:01 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-23 9:52 PM (#34924 - in reply to #34921)

Expert Yogi

This is really a topic for the philosophy and religion forum. You'll find quite a bit of
discussion there about christianity and yoga.

My bottom line? If you are comfortable in your own beliefs, it doesn't matter what you are
exposed to. And if you have an open mind, then you can just weigh what you encounter
against what you've encountered previously. For the most part, people teaching yoga
aren't at all interested in messing with your religious beliefs. Most american yoga teachers
are teaching with no religious perspective at all. Those that are usually make it clear
what they are doing, and if you don't like it you go to a different teacher.

So far as your practice of Bikram yoga, you have nothing to be concerned about.
It's an exercise class, with various opportunities for stilling the mind between asanas.
There's no religious content to Bikram yoga AT ALL. No philosophy, no "Om", no
surrender to a high power, no Yoga Sutras, no Patanjali, no Svatmara, no nothing.
But you can buy Bikram's book, and his CD, and a hat with a Bikram logo on it.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-23 9:53 PM (#34925 - in reply to #34921)

Trishanne:
Here I am answering your question. For you to know whether I am experienced in Yoga, you can decide that yourself, if you need the information, feel free to visit www.authenticyoga.org and click on Neel Kulkarni and then Detailed Resume. Now, my answer to your question, correct me if I understood your question.

Your question: Do I need Yoga if I am interested in only physical benefit mainly of flexibility.

Answer: NO. You do not need Yoga at all for this.

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
trishanne
Posted 2005-10-23 11:03 PM (#34931 - in reply to #34921)

Thanks everyone. It's just a little overwhelming and there's so much to consider and learn. It was really hard for me to take that first step because my family was not at all supportive. But I'm glad I did. And just like any newbie at any subject, I'm just full of questions and uncertainty. But I really appreciate this board and everyone for taking your time out and sharing your knowledge and exprience!!! Believe me I'll probably drive you guys nuts w/all the questions
PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2005-10-24 2:00 AM (#34932 - in reply to #34921)

Bay Guy - 2005-10-23 6:52 PM

So far as your practice of Bikram yoga, you have nothing to be concerned about.
It's an exercise class, with various opportunities for stilling the mind between asanas.
There's no religious content to Bikram yoga AT ALL. No philosophy, no "Om", no
surrender to a high power, no Yoga Sutras, no Patanjali, no Svatmara, no nothing.

I think this really hits the nail on the head as far why Bikram Yoga studios are booming these days. Mr Choudhury knows that a HUGE chunk of Westerners are willing to take up yoga in order to get the "physical" benefits, but wouldn't ever even think about stepping foot into a yoga class if it contained the spirituality, historical and the philosophical aspects of what yoga really is in it's fullest traditional form. I know quite a few people that love Bikram Yoga and aside from how it makes them feel physically, a lot seem to share this common notion of "Oh, I enjoy Bikram classes because I don't want to walk into a yoga studio and be told how to live my life - I'm just there for the health benefits." I think many people out there feel this way, and Mr Choudhury has really capitalized on it in this particular niche market.

So Trishanne, if you want to increase flexibility, yes yoga will help. There are other types of yoga out there too that will give you what you're looking for, without all the aspects you don't feel comfortable with (e.g. the chanting and meditation - as you mentioned in your original post). If you want support from people in your life that are not supportive of your practice, perhaps you could look at that as an opportunity to educate them about the health benefits that you're getting by having taken up this form fo exercise. And I do think it's possible to separate the physical benefits from the "...whole package...", as you mentioned in your original post, if that's what you want to do. I'd say stick with the classes you're attending now if they're making you feel better.

Pablo Domene Lee
http://www.pablodomenelee.com
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-24 5:46 AM (#34936 - in reply to #34931)

I think the others have put it very well. Yoga does include meditation, chanting and awakening the spirit. You do not have to partake of these aspects. I would say that you would be missing out however - personal view only; I find chanting induces a state of deep relaxation for example. Aside : my list of chants include a Native American one so this practise is indeed, multi-cultural!

Many Christian traditions include these same practises and for the same reasons. The language describing these practises in yoga often sounds a little off to western ears simply because the reasons for their practise tend to be offered from the Hindu perspective when we are more familiar with the Christian teachings, whether we, ourselves, are religious or not.

As far as your fmaily are concerned, perhaps you need to focus more on explaining the physical benefits of asana practise and say that the form you are following does not include aspects of Hindu mystacism?

Fee

trishanne - 2005-10-24 4:03 AM

Thanks everyone. It's just a little overwhelming and there's so much to consider and learn. It was really hard for me to take that first step because my family was not at all supportive. But I'm glad I did. And just like any newbie at any subject, I'm just full of questions and uncertainty. But I really appreciate this board and everyone for taking your time out and sharing your knowledge and exprience!!! Believe me I'll probably drive you guys nuts w/all the questions
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-24 8:38 AM (#34940 - in reply to #34921)

Then there's the original Christian yoga, the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.  Don't really know much about them, but supposedly they're very similar to eastern yoga, and date from the middle ages.  You can probably find them on the web some where.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-24 9:38 AM (#34944 - in reply to #34940)

Useful url for St Ignatius of Loyola :

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14224b.htm
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-24 10:41 AM (#34947 - in reply to #34921)

I wish to add this after comments from others:

I am guessing that Trisshane's question mainly wanted to see how she can get ONLY flexibility from Yoga. And, then her family stated that she will NOT get ONLY f, but automatically will get other things. I agree with them. So, my answer is: It is impossible for her to get ONLY f and exclude everything else. This is because, she will possibly NOT find any class which shall only focus on her flexibility, unless may be, she takes a private class (that may be a good solution. Ask your family to pay for privates, that is it.) And, what is going to happen. After she gets her flexibility, she will be interested in other things. So, Trisshane, depending on her age, responsibility, dependence on family, and her other philosophy has to make a decision:

a) what she really wants
b) what communication she would like to do with family or others
c) how to take the class, mostly private
d) Accept the Ignorance or Lack of other things when only flexibility is reached.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-10-24 1:38 PM (#34971 - in reply to #34947)

Expert Yogi

trishanne - you have received some great advice her. I think your kundalini is safe with Bikram My cheeky answer to the chanting issue? I sing Twinkle, twinkle Little Star to my kids at work a lot. It so far hasn't turned me into an astronaut. And invoking Patanjali before practice has not made me a Hindu either. A good solid 5 minutes of chanting OM is great for clearing sinuses, too!
sideshow
Posted 2005-10-24 2:02 PM (#34974 - in reply to #34921)

Im going on a bit of a guess here...but im thinking her parents are under the assumption that if she is to meditate she is opening her mind/body up to demonic posession, which of course is not good.

Thankfully the vatican is now giving excorscism classes, which cover issues such as these....so im sure with that knowledge your parents will be more than willing to let you meditate.....even though you DONT....

On a side note, you may find ( and perhaps not with bikram... ) that you will be more open to meditation the longer you practice yoga....in fact you may not even know you are in a medititative state when you are focusing your mind so hard into putting your body in that elusive pose....you'll come out and be like...Oh my, i just meditated while getting into and holding that pose....w00t...
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-10-24 3:14 PM (#34987 - in reply to #34921)

I'm always so surprized how such a positive, if not benign, form of movement like yoga can be so controversial.

I feel very sad for you, Trishanne. It must be pretty stressful to have parents like that. I believe in Jesus just like the next Jesus-believing person and I have nothing but terrific things to say about yoga.

If you read through a variety of these threads you'll notice that the hard-core, veteran yoginis and yogis (I do not have the arrogance to put myself in that category) maintain very peaceful and loving mindsets. I'm sure they'll be going to heaven just like the rest of us Jesus-loving-people.

I don't advocate lying to your parents but one could describe yoga as advanced stretching. Hint Hint...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-24 4:02 PM (#34988 - in reply to #34932)

Expert Yogi

Uh, hello, I am a Bikram person and I chant mantra's, I go to Hindu temples and worship dieties, I study Vedanta Philosophy, I read the Gita and the Upinashads and I do poojas.

There is one thing that really clicks in my mind about one of Bikram Choudhury's quotes about his yoga. He said something to the effect that it didn't matter about the spirituality part because after you got your feet wet and in the door with his program, all of the spirituality would come later and that he did not need to preach/teach that aspect of yoga. To me, that was very profound and it allows you to have an independent practice - be okay with where you are - which is what yoga is really all about. That is very comforting to a person like me who trained with some really screwed up minds when it came to other types yoga and the concepts. I think what has happened is due to all the controversy surrounding Bikram that people have twisted those words around in a negative way. Thank goodness I am capable enough of seeing the truth of what Bikram was trying to convey, due to my personal experiences in this yoga realm, if you will. People sometimes have a nasty habit of only seeing what they want to see - especially where Bikram is concerned. Oh well.
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-10-24 7:31 PM (#35004 - in reply to #34921)

I believe that practicing asana will change your state of mind and perhaps incline you to meditation. I do not believe that it will incline you to Hinduism if you are comfortable with your Christianity. In fact, if you are not comfortable with the idea of meditation, try praying (to the Christian God and Christ) after your asana practice. I suspect the asana practice will produce for you a state of mind conducive to prayer. If you would like to say a silent prayer in yoga class, during savasana, this is an appropriate thing to do imho.

Then tell your family to put that in their pipe & smoke it
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-24 7:56 PM (#35005 - in reply to #35004)

Expert Yogi

Hi Laura, I wasn't implying that anyone become a Hindu. What I am saying that practicing Yoga eventually will enhance whatever you decide to do and whatever religion you choose to do as well. This includes being more Christlike and mindful of others.

As for telling your family to put it in their pipe and smoke it...that might not be so good and is not honoring others where they are at. Even as obnoxious as they can be, if you practice Yoga long enough you can even manage to be around difficult people and rise above them without having to stoop to their level by telling them off or to go smoke their pipes. When my Father and his wife gave me that obnoxious book to read this weekend that attacked yoga and everything else I like to do, I just smiled and said, "Thank you, I can't wait to read this and see what it's all about". I always try to understand where someone else is coming from even though I may not be where they are at. Just because I sincerely want to understand what they are experiencing does not mean that I share their views, I just can relate to them - where they are without having to compromise myself or be phony about it. This takes a lot of practice and is how I like to practice. Which IMO, is being yogic-like too,
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-25 6:27 AM (#35031 - in reply to #35005)

Reminds me of a quote (Churchill?) :

You should always forgive your enemies as nothing annoys them more.

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-25 8:50 AM (#35037 - in reply to #35031)

Orbilia - 2005-10-25 6:27 AMReminds me of a quote (Churchill?) :You should always forgive your enemies as nothing annoys them more.Fee

Who was quoting the bible.  All that turn the other cheek stuff isn't as lovey-dovey as you might think. 
Orbilia
Posted 2005-10-25 10:12 AM (#35042 - in reply to #35037)

Thanks GreenJello, always like to get to the source on these things

Fee
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-10-25 2:01 PM (#35057 - in reply to #34921)

yoga is only dangerous if you are practicing in a skimpy top in the same room as the men of yoga.com.
trishanne
Posted 2005-10-25 2:59 PM (#35063 - in reply to #34921)

yes, Anya, that is very, very dangerous LoL!!

Edited by trishanne 2005-10-25 3:00 PM
trishanne
Posted 2005-10-25 3:08 PM (#35064 - in reply to #34921)

After reading a lot of posts here, i've come to the conclusion that hey, i like yoga.
i like the way i feel after a good class. i always look forward to my next session.
and i don't feel that my personal beliefs have been compromised in any way.
i think i need to stop worrying and just enjoy it!! if it makes me happy, how can it be bad. right??
i'm sure my family will see in time that it's not something weird.
i'll show them what yoga really is
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-25 7:31 PM (#35082 - in reply to #35057)

anya sharvani - 2005-10-25 2:01 PMyoga is only dangerous if you are practicing in a skimpy top in the same room as the men of yoga.com.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!  I would never take advantage of a woman who didn't want me to take advantage of her. 

I'm also big talk, little walk.  ;)

So any woman who would like somebody to take advantage of them, let me know. 

trishanne - Sounds like you've got the right idea.  Unfortunately a lot of fundamentalists (of all bents, not just religious) seem to think that knowledge itself is inherently corrupting.  They also seem to be the people most interested in controlling the people around them. So it IS corrupting, at least to their power base. 

It's a good thing that you're thinking for yourself, and attempting to get opinions from a wide variety of sources.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-10-25 9:28 PM (#35092 - in reply to #35057)

Expert Yogi

anya sharvani - 2005-10-25 2:01 PM

yoga is only dangerous if you are practicing in a skimpy top in the same room as the men of yoga.com.

I object to that!!! Some potential follow-on comments (can't decide which so I'll just
post the lot):

If you've seen one boob, you've seen 'em all. So nah!

I would simply admire your lovely boob and then go on with my yoga.

I am too focused on my practice to pay any attention to your boob.

I have Janet Jackson superbowl photos, so what else would I ever need to look at?

Monastic answer: I never practice around women, so that my thoughts can remain pure.

Muslim answer: I never practice around women because they are too distracting.

Southern Utah Polygamist answer: I never practice around women because I would
have to leave them barefoot and pregnant if I did.

My wife's boobs are more beautiful than yours, so nah! (Guess who's reading over my
shoulder!)

trishanne
Posted 2005-10-25 10:27 PM (#35096 - in reply to #34921)

bad guy, you are so clever!! you brought a smile to my face
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)