YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

---
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

damien
Posted 2005-10-22 10:38 PM (#34906)
Subject: ---

I find this particular sequence calming. sarvangasana drop into setu bandha, lift into udrhva dhanurasana back into setu bandha lift back into sarvangasana repeat x3. I'll do this after holding sarvangasana for about 6 minutes and after eka pada and parsvaika pada. I find the backbend brings a greater calmness to my shoulderstand but I don't hold the shoulderstand that long once I start the backbend sequence.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
aaron
Posted 2005-10-24 11:00 AM (#34949 - in reply to #34906)
Subject: RE: ---

that is a very interesting sequence. I will try that one right away! I have recently started dropping into setu bandha from sarvangasana. I am searching for a spot to place my hands on my back when I drop over. Sometimes I feel like i'm going to break my hands off. perhaps my wrists are just tight? where do you place your hands? fingers facing up or in toward each other?
tourist
Posted 2005-10-24 1:25 PM (#34968 - in reply to #34949)

Expert Yogi

Aaron - the hands stay on the back exactly as in sarvangasana I know all too well the "hands breaking off" feeling. You can start by dropping over onto a chair or a stack of bolsters or even just the wall. I can tell you, it will be several lifetimes before I do this sequence
aaron
Posted 2005-10-24 5:26 PM (#34991 - in reply to #34906)

sometimes i have my fingers pointing upward, which is where my teacher wants them to be. and some times i have them facing toward each other. i am playing with them in different spots. it is challenging going from sarvangasana to setu bandha...but not as challenging as going from setu bandha to sarvangasana! I seems to grunt or laugh to come back up. I am getting more comfortable with this sequence. The first time I ever heard of this sequence I thought...this can't be done! So, my thinking is changing. It's nice.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-24 6:47 PM (#34999 - in reply to #34991)

Expert Yogi

Aaron - you mean in full setu bandha with feet on the floor you have your thumbs on your back and fingers coming around your sides toward your chest/abdomen? I have been taught that is not safe - broken thumbs, wrists or something bad. Anyone else have experience with this?
aaron
Posted 2005-10-25 9:57 AM (#35041 - in reply to #34906)

no, the opposite way. Thumbs on back with fingers pointing in toward each other. Toward the spine. It certainly makes more sense now to drop over into setu bandha with the fingers pointing up toward the buttocks. I like to explore different ways of doing the asanas - even if at first they don't make sense. That way I can know for myself what works and why.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-25 10:53 PM (#35103 - in reply to #35041)

Expert Yogi

OK, so your hands remain in more or less classical shoulder stand position. That is good. Have fun!
aaron
Posted 2005-10-26 3:18 PM (#35135 - in reply to #34906)

damien,
I tried this sequence this morning. It was fun! The cool thing is that my upper chest was really arched from setu bandha that when I went up into urdhva danurasana I was really compact. I'm going to pass it on to some of my yogi friends here. How did you hear of it?
damien
Posted 2005-11-06 11:43 PM (#36027 - in reply to #35135)

sorry bout the late reply. sarvangasana to setu bandha is a standard sequence, I just felt during my practice that lifting into urdhva dhanurasana would be nice. There is another great sequence by the mehtas best done without props.
start paschimottanasana roll back to halasana roll forward to baddha konasana roll back to karnapidasana roll forward to upavista konasana roll back to supta konasana forward to paschimottanasana back to halasana lift to sarvangasana lower down into setu bandha sarvangasana back to sarvangasana back to halasana. repeat inserting forward bend pairs on the second paschimottanasana and sarvangasana variations. Hold the poses for a couple of breaths and commence the next asana on the exhale.
The more lifted the chest is towards the chin (jalandhara bandha) the easier it is on the wrists when lowering into setu bandha. Without blankets I find it much easier to keep my hands near the shoulderblades when lowering down.
tourist
Posted 2005-11-07 10:08 AM (#36042 - in reply to #36027)

Expert Yogi

Yes, that is a fun sequence. I think it would tend to be done near the beginning of a practice rather than in the typical place near the end since it is pretty energizing. In that case, popping a few UD's in there would not be too big a deal.
alisonjane
Posted 2005-11-07 3:06 PM (#36056 - in reply to #34906)

I do this with the hands flat on the back ,each side of the spine and fingers pointing up towards bottom.Lengthen as much as possible throug the spine hips and legs (keeping legs straight for as long as possible)and drop both feet together.It is a BIG stretch for the wrists and I often get a fab opening cracking popping noises in the back-in a good way!You need to control the lowering of feet to the floor ,no crashing or colapsing.
Alison
damien
Posted 2005-11-07 9:50 PM (#36070 - in reply to #36042)

Yes, that is a fun sequence. I think it would tend to be done near the beginning of a practice rather than in the typical place near the end since it is pretty energizing. In that case, popping a few UD's in there would not be too big a deal.

I do it either at the start after shirshasana or near the end of my practice depending on what else I'm doing in my practice. I have found that urdhva dhanurasana can be a very soothing and quietening pose when done with sensitivity.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)