YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

phillisophically challenged
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

*Fifi*
Posted 2005-10-31 1:16 PM (#35513 - in reply to #34901)
Subject: RE: phillisophically challenged

It's funny to read Zoebird and Cyndi's experiences with Buddhists. When I lived in SF a few years ago the most hypocritical and annoying people were white people pretending (or "trying", I should say) to be Buddhists. I studied Tibetan Buddhism for a year in SF and loved it but found the white people in particular to be unbearably annoying. Talk about an angry, self-loathing bunch of elitists! I think they were trying to be cool or something. The Asian and non-white Buddhist practitioners I've met weren't annoying or pushy or exclusive at all. They simply practice Buddhism.

The moral of the story is that every religion has annoying people that distort things and make it unappetizing to others but all in all religions are there to serve people and keep us sane.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-31 1:26 PM (#35517 - in reply to #35513)

Expert Yogi

Geez Fifi, your story sounds exactly like mine. I bet we could have an evening full of fun discussing this topic,

My favorite was when they all shaved their heads and put on burgundy robes. Then they would go out into the world to their jobs and such and sometimes acting so incredibly stupid, or they would only wear the robes when the big high lamas would come around, just to try to impress the lamas. I swear, the monks would laugh at them sometimes because they were totally outrageous, although, I have to say the monks were ALWAYS supportive of them no matter how outrageous they were. They were the ones with the real kindness and compassion. Your right, the non-white and asians did seem most sincere about the practice.

Posted 2005-10-31 4:03 PM (#35537 - in reply to #34901)

i found the same issue with local buddhists that i did with local yogins--it was more about apperances and accoutriments than it was about actual practice. it doesn't matter if your meditation was working for you, but rather how much your cushion cost! it was really quite strange.

GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-31 4:23 PM (#35542 - in reply to #35537)
Subject: RE: phillisophically challenge

zoebird - 2005-10-31 4:03 PMi found the same issue with local buddhists that i did with local yogins--it was more about apperances and accoutriments than it was about actual practice. it doesn't matter if your meditation was working for you, but rather how much your cushion cost! it was really quite strange.

Yeah, I think Mr. Iyengar used to call those guys the Look Good, Feel Good, no Good bhogis.  Frankly, I haven't got much patience for these sorts of fools.  They'll find out how wrong they are with their tower starts to fall.......
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-31 4:52 PM (#35546 - in reply to #35537)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-10-31 4:03 PM

i found the same issue with local buddhists that i did with local yogins--it was more about apperances and accoutriments than it was about actual practice. it doesn't matter if your meditation was working for you, but rather how much your cushion cost! it was really quite strange.

I wonder what they would think about my cushion?? I paid high $$'s for mine, it is now worn to the hilt and I have no plans on buying a new one, just so they can be happy??? I don't think so,
tourist
Posted 2005-10-31 7:11 PM (#35560 - in reply to #35546)

Expert Yogi

New converts to anything are usually pretty annoying. A new non-smoker is the worst! They even seem to be able to annoy lifelong non-smokers, don't they? But yeah, wannabes and try-hards (as my kids call them) are a real pain.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-31 11:24 PM (#35577 - in reply to #35546)

Cyndi - 2005-10-31 4:52 PM
zoebird - 2005-10-31 4:03 PMi found the same issue with local buddhists that i did with local yogins--it was more about apperances and accoutriments than it was about actual practice. it doesn't matter if your meditation was working for you, but rather how much your cushion cost! it was really quite strange.
I wonder what they would think about my cushion?? I paid high $$'s for mine, it is now worn to the hilt and I have no plans on buying a new one, just so they can be happy??? I don't think so,

Oh, I'm in even worse shape than that.  I don't even HAVE a pillow....    Maybe I should ask Lord Buddha to bring me one.   
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-01 5:55 PM (#35653 - in reply to #35577)

Expert Yogi

Wanna buy one of my old ones GJ...then I'll go buy a new one,
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-01 8:59 PM (#35669 - in reply to #35653)

Cyndi - 2005-11-01 5:55 PMWanna buy one of my old ones GJ...then I'll go buy a new one,

I don't know, can you guarantee instant Enlightment if I buy it? 

In all seriousness, I don't have pillow because I don't need one. 

I'm also almost anti-status when it comes to such things.  If I knew the local circle was impressed with such things, I'd go to goodwill, and buy the stinkiest, skankiest, god-awful pillow I could find.....
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-02 2:52 PM (#35734 - in reply to #35669)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2005-11-01 8:59 PM

I don't know, can you guarantee instant Enlightment if I buy it?

You might get some kind of enlightment, like you might realize that the cushion is worn out, although the Buckwheat is still firm in some places, You might realize that you would of rather had a different color, rather than burgundy or black, Sorry, no guarantees here....buy it at your own risk. Although, it might fit your criteria to irritate some Buddhist Yuppie, But, you should know, I've been sitting on those cushions for many years, they have traveled and sat in many of Buddhist teachings with high lama's from Tibet and I've had many personal tender moments with myself on these magic cushions,
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-02 3:14 PM (#35737 - in reply to #34901)

Nah, on second thought, I'm not too proud to sit on the ground. 

Posted 2005-11-02 3:41 PM (#35744 - in reply to #34901)

i prefer the floor myself. it's rather odd, but i when i have had opportunity to use a cushion, it actually is uncomfortable for me, whereas sitting on the floor feels better.

so, i could choose between being distracted by an uncomfortable and expensive pillow, or being comfortable and being distracted by monkey mind.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-02 3:49 PM (#35745 - in reply to #35744)

Expert Yogi

Well actually either way is also okay with me too!! Although it doesn't make you a *better* meditation practitioner to sit on the floor without the cushion, and it doesn't make you a better practitioner if you do sit on a cushion or an expensive one at that!!! The most important aspect to all of this is that you need to be comfortable - period. If it means having a new expensive buckwheat cushion, or sitting on the floor or better yet, if you really like that fuzzy hot pink one, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! There's a really nice blue one I've been thinking about and it goes with my decor and it works great when you have guests that like to sit on the floor instead of furniture...I like to use both and I like to have cushions available for any time I feel the need for one.

Ciao,

Cyndi - who's decided to keep both her cushions and GJ...go buy a new one,

Posted 2005-11-02 4:21 PM (#35750 - in reply to #34901)

true-dat!

as i'm thinking about my home studio, i'm also thinking about props. i'm thinking about bolsters, blankets, and mats. why not zafus? i'm thinking that it would be cool to knit my own blankets. i can't knit for crap, but i still think it would be cool. i might have to learn how to knit first though, you know? there's a kit over at the craft store that i could try. i love DIY!

i've just started teaching a new senoirs class and we do chair yoga. a lot of things seated on the chair; a lot of things standing and using the chair for support (for balance postures), and then we find our way to the floor and roll around a bit. it's all good, because many people prefer to meditate in a chair.

so hey, whatever.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)